ADVERTISEMENT

Swept by Miami

A soft team wouldn’t have given themselves the opportunity to lose on a last second shot.
or rallied from 12 down. Holmes is still hurting but she regrouped after halftime. Just another illustration of why you can't take plays off and every possession and point is crucial. I'd bet each girl could think of at least 2 points they could have gotten for the team, either through a made basket or FT or a defensive stop or not having a careless turnover.

Reactions: Willdog7
A soft team wouldn’t have given themselves the opportunity to lose on a last second shot.
How could you fix your mouth to say that? They have made 2 S16 in a row. Just lost by 2 to a faster, quicker team They are and were a great team.CM has done a great job. She needs to improve her roster. This is how you learn. If everything was perfect you would never learn.

Moren said in her post game that Moore McNeil was supposed to inbounds to Grace at the end, but that Garzon panicked and inbounded to McNeil. Would have liked for Grace to get that last shot.
Hell she has been missing all evening even the shot after McNeil.

I'm not blaming the loss on it. I just hate the rule, whether it benefits us or hurts us. There is zero justification for it.
So, why were we inbounding under our basket on the last possession? Were we out of timeouts? That's a blunder, unless you just felt the game was getting away from you, but if you have that rule, you should hold on to 1 timeout for the end just in case.

tough loss last night but you're wbb team had a great season. you'll have to root for our irish now that we are the only team left in the tournament from Indiana. it is really tough to make the sweet 16 regularly which is why i'm not upset about a sloppy game that we had against MSU Sunday because a win is a win in the big dance

Hell she has been missing all evening even the shot after McNeil.
Still who you want taking that shot. Heck, if the Coach says that's what was supposed to happen, then that's what should have happened.

Still who you want taking that shot. Heck, if the Coach says that's what was supposed to happen, then that's what should have happened.
If I could decide I would pick THE FRESHMAN CarZen if there was time but it was only 3 secs.

I only saw the first quarter but IU looked totally outmatched athletically.
They responded in the 3rd quarter and outscored Miami like 19-8. Miami came in and played extremely physical to start. I thought there were a ton of uncalled fouls and apparently they started calling them on us in the 4th, but early on Miami was really getting away with a ton of bodying when we we had the ball. Thwarted more than one drive for Berger.

If I could decide I would pick THE FRESHMAN CarZen if there was time but it was only 3 secs.
then I'm glad you're not coaching. She was 3-9, is a freshman and is not athletic at all. Fine as a catch and shoot shooter, but she's not driving on anyone with just a few seconds on the clock. Berger is shifty, great ball-handler has a great mid-range game, a good FT shooter and not a bad 3 pt shooter, not to mention a 5th year player and the unquestioned team leader. MJ and Larry would get the ball at the end of a game, regardless of how they shot earlier and so should have Grace.

The Assembly Call/Doing the Work folks after the game said maybe have Garzon front the girl who made the winning shot to catch a contested pass over the top, and that I can see, but even then, I think I'd have fronted her with Moore-McNeil who I think is our best perimeter defender.

So, why were we inbounding under our basket on the last possession? Were we out of timeouts? That's a blunder, unless you just felt the game was getting away from you, but if you have that rule, you should hold on to 1 timeout for the end just in case.
We didn't have any time outs left. Used the last one to set up the game tying 3...

First half was poorly officiated. Second half the refs tightened up foul calls both ways IMO. We had opportunities, just weren't able to convert.

Not making excuses, but Holmes' knee was clearly still bothering her. Also, Scalia was playing hurt which impacted her defensively and from three point line.

Reactions: kkott
We didn't have any time outs left. Used the last one to set up the game tying 3...

First half was poorly officiated. Second half the refs tightened up foul calls both ways IMO. We had opportunities, just weren't able to convert.

Not making excuses, but Holmes' knee was clearly still bothering her. Also, Scalia was playing hurt which impacted her defensively and from three point line.
I heard about Scalia after the game. I thought it sounded more like illness than injury, but regardless, less than 100%. Holmes definitely looked off her game, especially in the first half, but she's a gamer. Really sad to see these girls go down. I thought they had a special run in them. No idea how Miami was a 9 seed, they either had some injuries or were a Jekyll and Hyde team. They looked very athletic and solid and I guess were a mid tier ACC team?

Surprisingly Miami had more fouls, but also shot a good many more FTs, which I guess means we were fouling in the act of shooting and they were fouling on the floor. That sounds like we were a step slow or tired; or maybe both.

The girls had a great season. I usually do not watch the girls but I truly enjoyed them this season. They lost just like the men to a faster, quicker team. Just like the men they need to get quicker and handle pressure better.
Ive been watching the women's team the last 2 years. They play a more exciting game to watch than the men & are more consistent. Anybody that says they're soft hasn't watched them play. Last night their shots, especially the 3pt, wasn't dropping. Happens to the best players & teams. The missed layup by Moore-McNeil at the end looked worse than it was. JMO, but I 5hink she felt she was going to get bumped on the drive & when it didn't happen her momentum carried her farther under the basket than she expect. One Miamj's last shot, if you watch the replays the gal traveled. None of it matters, IU had chances to win but couldn't make it happen. That's why they play the game.

I don't care for the rule moving the ball to the front court after a timeout on a made field goal. It cost IU the Iows game & last night's game., But that's the rule. If it had been to IUs advantage how many would still complain

Reactions: kkott and Willdog7
There were other plays that hurt, Berger throwing up that BU.......... All night.
Yes, true but this was as about a wide open layup as you will get in that situation. Should have been a bucket. The way the shot missed you would have thought she shot it from half court.

Miami just totally out executed us down the stretch. They had an answer for everything culminating in the last possession. The way the game had gone you had a feeling they were going to torch us there. It was also poor defense to allow that entry pass, should not have been that easy.

I struggle with how are they a 9 seed? This game was no fluke. If this was a 7 game series maybe we win 4-3 but they could also easily beat us. I am not a women's hoops expert but how does the #9 seed seemingly have more high end players and athleticism than the #1 seed?

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes, true but this was as about a wide open layup as you will get in that situation. Should have been a bucket. The way the shot missed you would have thought she shot it from half court.

Miami just totally out executed us down the stretch. They had an answer for everything culminating in the last possession. The way the game had gone you had a feeling they were going to torch us there. It was also poor defense to allow that entry pass, should not have been that easy.

I struggle with how are they a 9 seed? This game was no fluke. If this was a 7 game series maybe we win 4-3 but they could also easily beat us. I am not a women's hoops expert but how does the #9 seed seemingly have more high end players and athleticism than the #1 seed?
Berger is a really, really, really good basketball player. I'd love a male equivalent to her on the men's team. All around very good with the ball, solid shooter, physical, athletic, etc...

But man, what the heck was she doing defensively on that last possession??? She got her entire body turned around and was facing away from the ball, almost like she was boxing out before the ball was even inbounded.

Reactions: IUgradman
then I'm glad you're not coaching. She was 3-9, is a freshman and is not athletic at all. Fine as a catch and shoot shooter, but she's not driving on anyone with just a few seconds on the clock. Berger is shifty, great ball-handler has a great mid-range game, a good FT shooter and not a bad 3 pt shooter, not to mention a 5th year player and the unquestioned team leader. MJ and Larry would get the ball at the end of a game, regardless of how they shot earlier and so should have Grace.

The Assembly Call/Doing the Work folks after the game said maybe have Garzon front the girl who made the winning shot to catch a contested pass over the top, and that I can see, but even then, I think I'd have fronted her with Moore-McNeil who I think is our best perimeter defender.
with being down 2 points ,i would have taken the 3 for the win ,plus she hit her last 2 threes. There was no time for a drive. Berger was horrible the whole game throwing up junk. but yeah you are a great coach. Carzen had just hit 2 thees in a row. She was the hot hand. Mr Coach.

Moren said in her post game that Moore McNeil was supposed to inbounds to Grace at the end, but that Garzon panicked and inbounded to McNeil. Would have liked for Grace to get that last shot.
That explains it. I wondered why McNeil had the ball and took it all the way up. That could not have been the plan for her to score especially after that dumpster fire missed layup. Still should have tried to find Grace but maybe no time.

You want to blame 1 girl, how about holmes 2-9 1st quarter, Berger throwing up that BS all game, There is enough blame to go around. Let's just say they ran into a quicker, faster team who were well prepared.

That explains it. I wondered why McNeil had the ball and took it all the way up. That could not have been the plan for her to score especially after that dumpster fire missed layup. Still should have tried to find Grace but maybe no time.
you answer your question no time.

FWIW, it's Garzon. IMO, she's one heck a player, even just being a freshman. She set the record for made 3s by a freshman. As far as IUs last play. If they would have been inbounding in the front cour she definetly would have been my #1 option. Not having a to left they had to bring the ball all the way up. Again, JMO, Jardin is too slow to get it up court in time. Berger would have been my first choice to bring it up but it looked like she was covered so it went to Moore-McNeil who would have been my 2nd choice., She has good hands, speed, & has a good outside shot. I would have liked to seen her pull up for a 3 instead of trying to drive between 2 players & losing the ball. From what I saw I don't think there was an option to pass to Berger because of time plus Berger was behind the play.

Mac has been fighting a knee injury for a few games now & for anyone that has watched them play much it was obvious it was bothering her last night. Give her credit for trying, Even hurts, Mac is a better post player than anyone else on the bench. I hadn't heard that Parrish was having issues but you could see she was off her game. Overall, it was just one of those nights, unfortunately it came at an inopportune time.

I think IU is going tombe really good next year. All the starters will be back except for Berger. Only other Sr is a gal that doesn't play alot. I'm not sure what recruits they have coming. Coach Moren has been very successful in the portal. With IUs success I would think that will attract some players.

But man, what the heck was she doing defensively on that last possession??? She got her entire body turned around and was facing away from the ball, almost like she was boxing out before the ball was even inbounded.
I'm guessing the girl was just that strong, and she thought she needed to keep her from getting position closer to the basket. It's all just heat of the moment stuff, but my first approach would have been on her hip, denying with my lead hand. If I wound up behind her like she did, she'd have been much better reversing position if she was pushing on her that hard and come around and front her and try and push her farther under the basket to make the entry pass that much tougher. If the inbounder can feather that pass in to her for a layup, then they're going to win, but a much tougher pass and play to execute. As it was she gave up the entry pass and couldn't then contest the shot very well. Even then, it's still a tough shot to make at the end of the game, especially in a women's game and they're never calling that travel. But, all the more reason to be physical defending her as I describe above. LIkewise, I don't see them calling a defensive foul that's not egregious in that situation to decide the game and bring the angst of 17000 fans, or however many were there.

Also played a huge role in the shot by Clark at Iowa too. I totally agree, why does a timeout in that particular situation buy you 50' of court real estate?
The timeout in that situation was implemented to even the playing field, so to speak. There are more losers in sports than winners so changes to favor the losers are voted in by the majority. Evolution guarantees change in a matter of time. The staleness and stuffiness of "samo-samo" sows the seeds of boredom, so rules are eventually changed to favor the possibility for additional excitement. It happens in all sports. Look at auto racing. Back in the old days when a yellow caution light came on, a team was penalized if their driver didn't maintain position on the track at the time of the accident. As TV viewership dropped and track attendance diminished, rules were changed to allow all the cars to bunch up behind the leader, giving a more exciting duel once the green flag was waved again.

I don't think you will find this discussion on Miami U's message boards. For them, it's an exciting, new rule, one that favors parity. The majority of sports viewers tire of the same teams winning all the time. New rules usually hinder the progress of dynasties.

You want to blame 1 girl, how about holmes 2-9 1st quarter, Berger throwing up that BS all game, There is enough blame to go around. Let's just say they ran into a quicker, faster team who were well prepared.
I'm not blaming her alone. Plenty of blame to go around. But she did her part with that God awful attempt of an easy layup at a key juncture.

why mention it if you are not blaming her?
Because it was a key play. That terrible miss on the free throw late was God awful. And terrible defense and bad coaching strategy gave them the winning bucket. There I am blaming all sorts of people. Why did you mention Berger and others, you must be blaming them also. Get over it and stop whining.

• Haha
Because it was a key play. That terrible miss on the free throw late was God awful. And terrible defense and bad coaching strategy gave them the winning bucket. There I am blaming all sorts of people. Why did you mention Berger and others, you must be blaming them also. Get over it and stop whining.
I believe you were whining first because McNeil missed a lay-up. Hell, there was a whole of missing in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT