ADVERTISEMENT

Finished 6th.

They are all numbers. The committee isn't gonna leave out a IU team for Indiana state if we win 7 in a row
And, IU fans are well known to the NCAA for traveling to obscure venue$ and buying up lots of hard-to-sell ticket$.

Reactions: Cavanagh
The other thing they said they do is put weight on injuries. Whether you think X helps or not, the committee is gonna see 4-0 since his return with 3 quad wins in there..... I think we are closer than many think.

Again, this is a production and made to draw eyeballs. IU had the biggest first 4 viewership ever when they were in. Pretty easy to make a few more bucks and leave out IN state or another small school with 1 or 2 quad one wins.
If what you say about injuries is true, it would seem IU would be in much better shape to get a spot. Obviously X was out a ton this season....but how many games did KW miss, 3? I know at least 2 of those were B10 losses.

We have to swap Iowa on the bubble now. Better than OSU obviously, we swept them. Win 3 we are in fellas.
6th? What a surprise.

That's exactly what Sports Illustrated predicted last October, though I don't know if anyone forecast whether 6th in the Big Ten would be good enough to make the NCAA Tourney as in the past:

At the time, I thought 6th was too pessimistic but it proved accurate. A win over Kansas and a couple more conference wins in those close games we dropped, and nobody on this board would now be unhappy.

But we did fall short, so here's what I think Woodson did wrong (in no particular order):

1. He inconsiderately allowed key players (like Reneau, Ware, Galloway and Johnson) to get hurt, so they either missed games or had to play at less than 100% with nagging injuries.

2. He failed to find a way to persuade Johnson to stop doing stupid stuff both on and off the court.

3. He failed to play Galloway at PG earlier in the season when Johnson's performance seemed erratic.

4. He failed to play Sparks more minutes even when Reneau and Ware fought through their injuries.

5. He failed to teach Mbako, Cupps and Galloway how to shoot better until late in the season.

If Galloway heals in time, we can win a couple more games this week, maybe more. We'll see.

And to make the NCAA tourney. What they didn't predict is the B1G would be a bunch of hot garbage. The assumption wasn't to finish 6th yet just 1 game out of 12th. Should we hang a banner for 6th place finish (via tie breakers) and not even in the bubble conversation? Oh my, how the mighty have fallen.
I suggest a different banner. One like our conference championships banners where we list the years we've won. But this banner will have a title: Pissed Off we Won 4 in a Row and we can list your name on it along with quite a few others on here.

Reactions: muubell
The other thing they said they do is put weight on injuries. Whether you think X helps or not, the committee is gonna see 4-0 since his return with 3 quad wins in there..... I think we are closer than many think.

Again, this is a production and made to draw eyeballs. IU had the biggest first 4 viewership ever when they were in. Pretty easy to make a few more bucks and leave out IN state or another small school with 1 or 2 quad one wins.
I don't think they're going to put any weight on X given that he hasn't even been a starter in many of the games he's played.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I suggest a different banner. One like our conference championships banners where we list the years we've won. But this banner will have a title: Pissed Off we Won 4 in a Row and we can list your name on it along with quite a few others on here.
Nah, I am good with winning. Just because I am realistic about it and not satisfied with this vastly inferior product, doesn't make me pissed of that we won 4 in a row. You're mad because "quite a few" (aka the majority) of us have much higher expectations. So feel free to continue to settle for below mediocrity, it's your thing.

yeah a win on Thursday isn't guaranteed. Ace Baldwin has been playing well and gave our backcourt more than they could handle.
I was getting optimistic with this late surge. But the Galloway injury brought me back to reality. He might be ready to go on thurs, but playing 3 or 4 straight days on a gimpy knee is not likely. And as we saw yesterday, we don’t have enough good guard play to make it up. Even with good X, it would be a stretch without TG.

I was getting optimistic with this late surge. But the Galloway injury brought me back to reality. He might be ready to go on thurs, but playing 3 or 4 straight days on a gimpy knee is not likely. And as we saw yesterday, we don’t have enough good guard play to make it up. Even with good X, it would be a stretch without TG.
It's the Big Ten Tournament. We could have Gordon, Oladipo, Zeller, TJD and Alford and we're not going to win that damned tournament LOL Hell, now the women have the same curse as the men, although at least they've won it before.

• Love
Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
Say you win a few games in B10 tournament and faced Purdue for the third time this year.

I've heard it said many times, hard to beat a program 3 times in a year. Do you see IU beating Purdue in a championship game?

Say you win a few games in B10 tournament and faced Purdue for the third time this year.

I've heard it said many times, hard to beat a program 3 times in a year. Do you see IU beating Purdue in a championship game?
In a short answer: No

That said, Purdue is playing for a bigger prize than a BTT championship. IU's motivation would probably be much more significant with a literal trip to the dance on the line.

Reactions: Spartans9312

No

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT