ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford

Time was once a figment of an African chimpanzee’s imagination. How do we know what time it is when we don’t know what time is? Likewise, how can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care

Reactions: birdforbogey
The Pierce incident:

Did not get him fired from Iowa.

Did not keep New Mexico from hiring him.

Did not keep UCLA from hiring him.

Did not keep Nevada from hiring him.

To think that would be a reason for Indiana to not consider him is laughable.
Yeah….but UCLA AD had to come out with 2-3 statements about the pierce incident. Made the AD look bad especially since Alford kept defending him. You know Alford either resigned or was getting fired. So IU fires its football coach for character and then turn around and hire Alford? No way they send mixed signals like that.

The Pierce incident:

ok sure.....I bet the Pierce incident increased his chances of getting hired at IU. Using Costanza opposite-think logic. I'm sure it didn't help Steve's case at the time. As for UCLA and Nevada...a lot of time has passed since. Memory is a fickle thing.

Does it sound better to say Alford was never going to replace CMD because Steve didn't check Herbert's boxes and Greenspan had Sampson shoved down his throat?

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
The Pierce incident:

That whole thing happened like 20 years ago its a nice excuse but give me a break. We all know why IU did not hire him.

Is this meme taken from when Obama was asked how he managed to ascend the political ladder from community organizer to POTUS so quickly when it took Biden all of 40 years to find his way to the top?
No idea.

Sage Steele made a comment on Dan Dakich's 1430am radio show that IU just felt different. It used to feel like a family but then IU didn't want past players to come back. Your comment is right along with that. We used to be a family but we have to mend the fences which is why Woodson was hired. The problem is the results aren't there.
Why in God's name would she go on that show?

Yeah….but UCLA AD had to come out with 2-3 statements about the pierce incident. Made the AD look bad especially since Alford kept defending him. You know Alford either resigned or was getting fired. So IU fires its football coach for character and then turn around and hire Alford? No way they send mixed signals like that.
I’m not calling for IU to hire Alford now. It should’ve happened after they fired Sampson. It was a missed opportunity.

Reactions: DANC
Nobody runs the old style motion offense any more. Analytics don’t favor it. Although you can still run some good sets out of the concept.
Dusty runs some of those concepts. He talks about it in an article I read. I have not watched him enough to see.

Everyone misses the point. It’s not just how good is Alford, it’s how good is Alford at IU. It’s the combination. Alford checks boxes based on his history in the state in high school, at IU and with coach Knight that no one else does. Not Pearl or Beard or even Dusty May. Coach Woodson checked some of those boxes, with the glaring omission being a complete lack of experience coaching college basketball. Had Matt Painter gone to coach at UNC or UCLA I think he’d probably have had results similar to Alford. It’s Painter in combination with Purdue that’s made him a winner. IU doesn’t need another person who did well elsewhere like Crean or Miller. IU needs a person built for this job from day one, and that’s Alford. It’s so obvious. Purdue made a similar choice years ago and look at where they are.
No, the only point in the post I responded to was specifically that no IU coach since Knight had matched what Alford had done as a failure at UCLA. And I proved that conjecture to be incorrect.

Now your point that it's a combination of coach and program for both to reach their zenith might be correct. I'll just respond to that by saying that the best coaches make it work no matter where they are, especially at P5 programs. Knight, Williams, Self, Pitino, Huggins, etc. Dana ****ing Altman has had more success than Alford ever has. I'm pretty sure Mick Cronin didn't leave the 300 mile strip from Cincinnati to Murray, KY in his entire life until he went to UCLA and, lo and behold, he went to the Final Four in his first tournament with them. He passed Alford's success in his third season by getting them to a Final Four and Sweet Sixteen in 2 tournaments.

Now I'm not saying that Alford being hired in '08 would have been a failure but Indiana's 3 Sweet Sixteens and 2 conference titles under Crean are one less than Alford's total Sweet Sixteens (1 SW MO ST, 3 UCLA) and two less than Alford's total conference titles (4 with New Mexico). I don't think that resume is particularly impressive and I'm not convinced that his Indiana high school ties would have put him over the hump to an elite coach but hypotheticals are hypotheticals and the fun is in debating them. However, I think that launching complaints about how much better Alford would have been and dragging the whole athletic department because **you know better because of the hypothetical** is asinine. Wishing for Alford to take over as coach in '24 is even more asinine.

No, the only point in the post I responded to was specifically that no IU coach since Knight had matched what Alford had done as a failure at UCLA. And I proved that conjecture to be incorrect.

Now your point that it's a combination of coach and program for both to reach their zenith might be correct. I'll just respond to that by saying that the best coaches make it work no matter where they are, especially at P5 programs. Knight, Williams, Self, Pitino, Huggins, etc. Dana ****ing Altman has had more success than Alford ever has. I'm pretty sure Mick Cronin didn't leave the 300 mile strip from Cincinnati to Murray, KY in his entire life until he went to UCLA and, lo and behold, he went to the Final Four in his first tournament with them. He passed Alford's success in his third season by getting them to a Final Four and Sweet Sixteen in 2 tournaments.

Now I'm not saying that Alford being hired in '08 would have been a failure but Indiana's 3 Sweet Sixteens and 2 conference titles under Crean are one less than Alford's total Sweet Sixteens (1 SW MO ST, 3 UCLA) and two less than Alford's total conference titles (4 with New Mexico). I don't think that resume is particularly impressive and I'm not convinced that his Indiana high school ties would have put him over the hump to an elite coach but hypotheticals are hypotheticals and the fun is in debating them. However, I think that launching complaints about how much better Alford would have been and dragging the whole athletic department because **you know better because of the hypothetical** is asinine. Wishing for Alford to take over as coach in '24 is even more asinine.

Neither of us have a crystal ball. So your point is that my opinion that Alford was, and still is, a good coach and is a uniquely qualified candidate for Indiana head basketball coach is “asinine”. (Asinine means “utterly stupid or silly.” ) You base your criticism of my analysis on comparing Alford’s non-IU record to other coaches performances, mostly also at places other than IU, and nearly all of whom are not interested in being the head basketball coach at IU. Then you cite as fact your own opinion about the impact of Alford’s unique experience on his qualifications as coach. (That earned you some thumbs up, including from the poster with the clear Pierre pierce agenda). I’ll respond, not by calling you “asinine” but by stating that I respectfully disagree. I do agree that there are some coaches that seem to be great no matter where they go. If one of them wants to come to IU, I’d be all for that as well. However, even considering he’s almost 60, Alford remains the best qualified among the candidates for the IU coaching job who might actually want the job. In my asinine opinion.

Reactions: DANC and Kelly_32

Welp, you have been able to watch a lot of shitty Hoosier basketball without Alford coaching it. Hope you’ve enjoyed every minute.

Reactions: DANC
He wasn't on probabtion for that as far as I recall. He got a one-game suspension.
It was a joke, but if you're suspended for a game, that's probation. Or whatever. Again, it was a joke.

Alford has won two consecutive NCAA tournament games 1 time in his 29 years of coaching....Remember SW Mizzou St? That was 25 years ago. This includes 5 Div 1 gigs. Trivia...He's only the 2nd coach in UCLA history to never win their regular season championship. Alford was a great player for RMK. As a coach....he has a long history to examine...with pedestrian results to show for it. We have fond memories of Alford in an IU uniform...but then again...we can say that about alot of the old timers who played for Knight. Show me where he's been...I'll show you where he's going.

Man how i long for the day when an official moratorium on saying the word "woke" goes into effect.

do you realize that the people you think are "woke" today will be calling the generations subsequent to them the same thing when they're old and grumpy, too?

my problem w its use is the binary-ness of it. You're either woke or not woke. Typical simple minded, uninteresting, uncurious, absolutist nonsense. A total human construct. You're trapped in woke, man. The people you think are woke are just living their lives laughing at you, knowing they'll be alive 30, 40 years longer than you, woke or not.

We can't get to a point where every ****ing time a non-white male is hired, it's "woke".

i would think the anti-class war, anti-identity politics folks would see the hypocrisy....
I can’t wait for the use of “binary” in every conversation to go away. 😂

ok sure.....I bet the Pierce incident increased his chances of getting hired at IU. Using Costanza opposite-think logic. I'm sure it didn't help Steve's case at the time. As for UCLA and Nevada...a lot of time has passed since. Memory is a fickle thing.

Does it sound better to say Alford was never going to replace CMD because Steve didn't check Herbert's boxes and Greenspan had Sampson shoved down his throat?
I’ve always wished for Greenspan to come out and talk about the Sampson hire and Herbert’s involvement.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
We all can agree Alford is better then Woodson.
And Alford is a IU bball legend. People call Woodson an IU legend. Umm, he was a superstar here, but no an IU Legend. Maybe it was because of the gap inbetween the years he was here, but a supedstar (Guyton, Evans, Jeffries, Edwards, Yogi)

Legend = Buckner, May, Cheaney, #11. TJd, yes etc and so many more.

Reactions: DANC and ulrey
I’ve always wished for Greenspan to come out and talk about the Sampson hire and Herbert’s involvement.
I remember 2006 Hoosier Hysteria, telling Herbert that he made a good hire and he said something like " I had to pull major strings to make this happen, but it got done" or something along that nature. And then he said something about in the future looking back everyone would be glad he got Kelvin.
And then another EJ chant broke out and that was the end of that.
ha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT