ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford

They cared in 2002. Everyone did
As someone who graduated HS in Indiana in 2003 and played 4 years of varsity basketball while also being a lifelong Hoosier fan, it didn’t matter.

Alford played before my generation was able to watch. Our heroes were Cheaney, Bailey, Henderson, Evans etc.

I can assure you most wouldn’t have cared if it was Alford or not.

No way Sampson survives at IU regardless if we kept him. The holier than though in the fanbase and administration wouldnt have let the good outweigh the academic and off court things to continue. Hell they got rid of Knight for less.
The skipping class and bad grades issues would have doomed Sampson eventually.

The bad GPA from the Sampson era cost Crean a scholarship for a couple years I believe.

As someone who graduated HS in Indiana in 2003 and played 4 years of varsity basketball while also being a lifelong Hoosier fan, it didn’t matter.

Alford played before my generation was able to watch. Our heroes were Cheaney, Bailey, Henderson, Evans etc.

I can assure you most wouldn’t have cared if it was Alford or not.
I was coaching AAU ball at the time and I assure #12 still mattered to HS players, HS coaches and Parents. A lot.

Regardless. Gotta go. Pray for all of us that enter the shithole.

Alford’s Nevada team is currently 19-5 and has back to back wins over #21 Utah State and #24 San Diego State. They also have five quad one wins.

Disappointing that he never got the opportunity to come back home and coach the Hoosiers.
This has been discussed ad nauseam. Let it go. NOT going happen.

He's seemed to do better at mid majors than he has in the P5. Probably his best NCAAT run was his first at SWM. He's had two Painter like first round exits against 14 seeds.

Everybody has an opinion. Mine, in regards to Alford has always been that he'd have Tom Crean like success at IU.
Yup ... opinions show a persons priorities .. and bias.

We hate Sampson for recruiting players with bad character and ignore that Alford recruited an eventual anal rapist, let him play after being informed the girl had multiple anal stiches, eventually suspended him, then let him back on the team after the first incident only for that same player to commit assault on a female again.

Great judge of character .. and the prayer meeting on forgiveness .. that is beyond cringe. WTF was he thinking? If Sampson is a dirt bag for the players he recruited, then what is Alford?

You cannot compare SA at iowa to SA at IU at that time.

Two different planets.
Why? He literally hadn’t done much up until that point. He shouldn’t have been a candidate then and wasn’t. He was a candidate in 2007 but….we know why he wasn’t hired. The rest is history. Some of this is timing issues.

We hate Sampson for recruiting players with bad character and ignore that Alford recruited an eventual anal rapist, let him play after being informed the girl had multiple anal stiches, eventually suspended him, then let him back on the team after the first incident only for that same player to commit assault on a female again.

Great judge of character .. and the prayer meeting on forgiveness .. that is beyond cringe. WTF was he thinking? If Sampson is a dirt bag for the players he recruited, then what is Alford?
Still amazes me how many IU fans fail to understand that the Pierce thing makes Alford as coach a non starter forever.

People dismiss the timeline too. They wanted him until the scandal. Even then some still wanted him but no way he was getting hired at IU after that.

Reactions: IUFan4Lifer
I guess that really hurt him his next job at New Mexico....
New Mexico?(went to the second round once) Yeah. He should’ve stayed there. We are talking about him at IU. IU isn’t going to hire a guy that had that resume. Just be honest…we know why. Do you?

Reactions: nichlee
This has been discussed ad nauseam. Let it go. NOT going happen.
It’s a message board. We do discussion here. 😂

Indiana basketball, for the most part, has been a steaming pile of shit the last 20 years. Alford might’ve been able to rectify that. It’s worth discussing especially when we are an 18.5 point underdog to our arch rival tonight.

We will never know what he would have done at IU. I believe if we hired him when we hired Crean we would have B10 titles, deep runs in NCAA and maybe a title or two.
Good Lord!!! We DO know what he would've done! He was at UCLA, he had top flight recruiting classes, did nothing, and got fired! UCLA at the time, before that time, and since that time, has had more program success, and similar high expectations. In fact, even conceding that there's LOWER expectations, strangely, with the UCLA job from the fan base and alumni than here, it's even more damning. Please, for the love of God, give the Alford talk a rest, for once and for all! He's not coming, and he would've failed miserably if he had.

Good Lord!!! We DO know what he would've done! He was at UCLA, he had top flight recruiting classes, did nothing, and got fired! UCLA at the time, before that time, and since that time, has had more program success, and similar high expectations. In fact, even conceding that there's LOWER expectations, strangely, with the UCLA job from the fan base and alumni than here, it's even more damning. Please, for the love of God, give the Alford talk a rest, for once and for all! He's not coming, and he would've failed miserably if he had.
100%. He’s borderline too old now as well.

Agree!! I get eviscerated every time I say that on this board. I really believe if we had got him, Noodle Neal and Sam Alford when we hired Crean, they would still be here and we would be a blue blood.
In his 33rd season of head coach experience with a 65.7% winning percentage (Dusty May at 63.6% in his fifth year). Alford, a former guard, knows the motion offense, knows shooting and could likely recruit in state - and continue to retain that 'Knight fan base'.

The point, is he would do the same as Crean, if not worse. He has a huge body of work to prove it. We fired coaches for that, why the hell would we settle for a known product that is not elite?
Sounds like he’d fit in perfect at IU because he’s not elite. I don’t think we can get elite, ugh

The point, is he would do the same as Crean, if not worse. He has a huge body of work to prove it. We fired coaches for that, why the hell would we settle for a known product that is not elite?
Elite coaching tonight! Who needs shooters Woody!!

Reactions: DANC
Loves sexual assaulters
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

He doesn't run motion with Nevada.
Nobody runs knight motion. 2 out 3 in. It’s easily defended now. Thats why he was starting to abandon it. Knight was building a monster in that final class at IU for that reason. Just never got to coach them.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Nobody runs knight motion. 2 out 3 in. It’s easily defended now. Thats why he was starting to abandon it. Knight was building a monster in that final class at IU for that reason. Just never got to coach them.
He stated a handful of times he was devising and tinkering with a new offense. Don't recall if he initiated it at TT or not.

Alford’s Nevada team is currently 19-5 and has back to back wins over #21 Utah State and #24 San Diego State. They also have five quad one wins.

Disappointing that he never got the opportunity to come back home and coach the Hoosiers.
That was his fault.

Reactions: IUFan4Lifer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT