ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford

Kelly_32

All-Big Ten
Dec 12, 2004
Alford’s Nevada team is currently 19-5 and has back to back wins over #21 Utah State and #24 San Diego State. They also have five quad one wins.

Disappointing that he never got the opportunity to come back home and coach the Hoosiers.

What coaches were elite when IU hired them in any sport. What had Knight won when he came to IU? Cignetti may be the closest thing to an elite hire IU has had.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Alford’s Nevada team is currently 19-5 and has back to back wins over #21 Utah State and #24 San Diego State. They also have five quad one wins.

Disappointing that he never got the opportunity to come back home and coach the Hoosiers.
Prudent not disappointing. To fire a state BB hero after failing as HC at IU would be numbing.

The point, is he would do the same as Crean, if not worse. He has a huge body of work to prove it. We fired coaches for that, why the hell would we settle for a known product that is not elite?
How do you know he wouldn’t have been elite at Indiana?

He’s been coaching a long time. He isn’t a good coach. He would have been a bad hire.

I get he is loved as a player and he was a great player at IU, but we need to stop thinking that translates to coaching.
He’s a good coach not an elite coach. Hes a sweet 16 level coach. There are 8-10 programs that won’t take that for long. He literally had 3 top 5 classes at ucla and did nothing with them. To say he would do better at Indiana is crazy talk.

Agree!! I get eviscerated every time I say that on this board. I really believe if we had got him, Noodle Neal and Sam Alford when we hired Crean, they would still be here and we would be a blue blood.

He’s a good coach not an elite coach. Hes a sweet 16 level coach. There are 8-10 programs that won’t take that for long. He literally had 3 top 5 classes at ucla and did nothing with them. To say he would do better at Indiana is crazy talk.
We will never know what he would have done at IU. I believe if we hired him when we hired Crean we would have B10 titles, deep runs in NCAA and maybe a title or two.

It’s unfortunate, but IU has had a legendary coach pass through the door since Coach Knight. It was Kelvin.
I was all on board for his firing and I don’t feel wrong, but he would have crushed it.
I know this isn’t an original thought.
I still want to give Coach Woodson a chance.

We will never know what he would have done at IU. I believe if we hired him when we hired Crean we would have B10 titles, deep runs in NCAA and maybe a title or two.
He literally recruited Indiana kids to ucla. His ucla run is similar to what he would’ve done at IU. Would a final 4 or elite 8 been good enough? I doubt it. Just like now. None of this is good enough. I doubt Alford changes that.

It’s unfortunate, but IU has had a legendary coach pass through the door since Coach Knight. It was Kelvin.
I was all on board for his firing and I don’t feel wrong, but he would have crushed it.
No way Sampson survives at IU regardless if we kept him. The holier than though in the fanbase and administration wouldnt have let the good outweigh the academic and off court things to continue. Hell they got rid of Knight for less.

Last edited:
If I were AD I would have torn up the text/call records. Who cares, UK/KU/Duke/etc are paying players big money, this little foot fault was nothing, regardless of probation or whatever.

The thing we needed Kelvin to change was the culture. His team was just too out of control, I don’t know what he was thinking. I have plenty of empathy for guys with tough backgrounds and giving second chances, but his 2008 team wasn’t acceptable and we had guys like Bud Mackey committed omfg. This was my bigger issue with him at IU that I think a strong AD might have been able to work with him to fix it, but maybe not, Kelvin is stubborn.

The point, is he would do the same as Crean, if not worse. He has a huge body of work to prove it. We fired coaches for that, why the hell would we settle for a known product that is not elite?
I’d take 2 Big Ten titles instead of the crap we’re in now

Reactions: DANC
If I were AD I would have torn up the text/call records. Who cares, UK/KU/Duke/etc are paying players big money, this little foot fault was nothing, regardless of probation or whatever.

The thing we needed Kelvin to change was the culture. His team was just too out of control, I don’t know what he was thinking. I have plenty of empathy for guys with tough backgrounds and giving second chances, but his 2008 team wasn’t acceptable and we had guys like Bud Mackey committed omfg. This was my bigger issue with him at IU that I think a strong AD might have been able to work with him to fix it, but maybe not, Kelvin is stubborn.
Funny thing is the holier than though DD was on that staff. He was fine with it but all of a sudden he wasn’t. IU used him too.

Shouldn't have supported the anal rapist .. and definitely shouldn't have asked the victim to go to a prayer meeting.

He's seemed to do better at mid majors than he has in the P5. Probably his best NCAAT run was his first at SWM. He's had two Painter like first round exits against 14 seeds.

Everybody has an opinion. Mine, in regards to Alford has always been that he'd have Tom Crean like success at IU.

Only UCLA coach since Larry Brown not to win at least one Pac 10/12 championship, despite all that 5-star talent 3rd worst winning % since Wooden retired. Career losing record in the Big 10 over 8 seasons. I'm just not seeing it.

Someone here said Indiana was his perfect fit. I think New Mexico was. He stays there, maybe he has a Mark Few type career. Who knows? What we do know is he left Iowa and UCLA in worse shape than the programs he inherited.

I don't hate the guy. I wish him every success. Loved him as a player in high school and at IU. But after his time at Iowa, I just haven't been convinced he could make IU elite again.

Agree!! I get eviscerated every time I say that on this board. I really believe if we had got him, Noodle Neal and Sam Alford when we hired Crean, they would still be here and we would be a blue blood.
Because there is literally no data or history to back that up in any way.

No HS player cares for one second that he went to IU so why would it be any different?!

Only UCLA coach since Larry Brown not to win at least one Pac 10/12 championship, despite all that 5-star talent 3rd worst winning % since Wooden retired. Career losing record in the Big 10 over 8 seasons. I'm just not seeing it.

Someone here said Indiana was his perfect fit. I think New Mexico was. He stays there, maybe he has a Mark Few type career. Who knows? What we do know is he left Iowa and UCLA in worse shape than the programs he inherited.

I don't hate the guy. I wish him every success. Loved him as a player in high school and at IU. But after his time at Iowa, I just haven't been convinced he could make IU elite again.
You cannot compare SA at iowa to SA at IU at that time.

Two different planets.

Reactions: Thcgh and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT