ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford isn't walking through the door.

Crayfish57

All-American
Sep 18, 2013
I don't mean coaching !

IU could really use a ''Steve Alford'' player though, problem is if we do find some phenom to elevate us he will leave in a year or two. Imagine having a 2 time 1st team AA from instate that can actually shoot? One that isn't running to the NBA so you could actually build around them? Calbert wouldn't stay 4 yrs in today's world . We were blessed with so much in state talent that fit the system back in those years. I don't see major improvements any time soon. Race is the team's best player , We don't even have a Juwan Morgan on this team.

Reactions: Lucy01
I don't mean coaching !

IU could really use a ''Steve Alford'' player though, problem is if we do find some phenom to elevate us he will leave in a year or two. Imagine having a 2 time 1st team AA from instate that can actually shoot? One that isn't running to the NBA so you could actually build around them? Calbert wouldn't stay 4 yrs in today's world . We were blessed with so much in state talent that fit the system back in those years. I don't see major improvements any time soon. Race is the team's best player , We don't even have a Juwan Morgan on this team.
Problem is woodson is running an nba offense. You need superior talent and athletes to make it work. That's what happens with an nba guy I dont think alfords would fit in

Problem is woodson is running an nba offense. You need superior talent and athletes to make it work. That's what happens with an nba guy I dont think alfords would fit in
I bet the offense would change some ! Just thinking back to days when guys could shoot. Pat Graham type even. The whole NBA crap needs to stop , run an offense to win. I wonder if because of short notice Galloway freelanced more Tuesday even though it was a loss the ball movement seemed better considering what we had to work with. The motion offense works better, you would think Woodson played in it for 4 yrs. Maybe it's just too difficult in today's game. Kreigh Smith would be a huge upgrade on this team as a shooter

Reactions: Lucy01
I bet the offense would change some ! Just thinking back to days when guys could shoot. Pat Graham type even. The whole NBA crap needs to stop , run an offense to win. I wonder if because of short notice Galloway freelanced more Tuesday even though it was a loss the ball movement seemed better considering what we had to work with. The motion offense works better, you would think Woodson played in it for 4 yrs. Maybe it's just too difficult in today's game. Kreigh Smith would be a huge upgrade on this team as a shooter
Yep but we hired an nba guy. They think different. If we are going to have four guys standing around on the perimeter they better be athletic or able to break down a defender. That's why nba guys usually have never succeeded as college coaches. It's such a different game.

My biggest problem with the Woodson hire wasn't he could not coach. It was he was an nba and can he adjust to college. Penny landed top notch talent and still stinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Yep but we hired an nba guy. They think different. If we are going to have four guys standing around on the perimeter they better be athletic or able to break down a defender. That's why nba guys usually have never succeeded as college coaches. It's such a different game.
Shot clock is a lot of the problem, the lower its gotten the lower scoring has gotten. I didn't want to watch Phil Ford run the 4 corners for 6 minutes but forcing people to shoot, take bad shots isnt fun to watch either. I saw today and esp Galloway it was taking 7-8 seconds to get the ball up the court. So you are already down a few seconds and no one looking to get a good shot. Race, no pun but when he got the rebound and just took it was getting down several seconds earlier

Shot clock is a lot of the problem, the lower its gotten the lower scoring has gotten. I didn't want to watch Phil Ford run the 4 corners for 6 minutes but forcing people to shoot, take bad shots isnt fun to watch either. I saw today and esp Galloway it was taking 7-8 seconds to get the ball up the court. So you are already down a few seconds and no one looking to get a good shot. Race, no pun but when he got the rebound and just took it was getting down several seconds earlier
Yep it's amazing lower shot clock and less points. I liked the 45 second shot clock. Lots more points were scored. Those iu teams in the early 90's put up 80 plus points alot.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I like Woody but HE'S GOT TO HAVE PLAYERS! The lack of real talent on this roster is palpable.

As it is now, we are easy to defend. I am sure there is not an easy answer, but this is frustrating.

I like Woody but HE'S GOT TO HAVE PLAYERS! The lack of real talent on this roster is palpable.
Tell me his offense..
We dont even come up and sit a high ball screen..At lest very often..He coached in the NBA. It's the number one play in the association..
Idk..
I was meh on his hire..And I still am..
Not saying..I'll give him a couple more yrs..
We really don't have a choice..

We get good looks and took more shots than MS. We miss a ton of bunnies. It’s a player issue not a coaching/offense issue.

Reactions: Warison
College offenses require players to hit perimeter shot as well or is that just an NBA thing? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Do you actually watch basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT