ADVERTISEMENT

Start Penix against Rutgers

That may be however we played 3 other games before msu where he had all day. So either the offense is designed that way OR we arent getting open on deep routes OR he isnt confident throwing deep. That stat is very eye opening. It was the same last year. We need to take shots. When you have a roster full of 22 mph receivers you take advantage of matchups. Its not that difficult

One game was a monsoon and we ran the ball. The crossing route in the MSU game to Whop resulted in a TD. I don’t care how we get there.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from starting Ramsey next week. Let MP have a week of leading the 1s in practice, prep to be the starter, run a two minute drill, and maybe a six minute drill while keeping PR healthy for OSU. If he falls flat, let PR save the day.

It's a terrific opportunity for Penix to start a conference game on the road, and hopefully build confidence that will pay off later.

We know what we have in PR...25-36 241 yards 2 TDs 1 int per game. Let's find out what we have in MP. Next week only...for now.
This is pretty much a must win for us, & the sentiment about starting Penix in a nothing to lose situation, just doesn't apply here, imo. We have a lot to lose this week, this is one of the most critical B1G games on our schedule, because it is the most winnable(on paper)& one in which you don't take any chances, you just get it done. This would be about the worst time to start Penix, imo. Just let Ramsey be his efficient, ball secure self, & allow our superior overall talent to win the game. No need for anything spectacular, or a lot of downfield passing to experiment with. If we were 1-3 instead of 3-1, then may...nah, I'd still say start Ramsey, for all the reasons I listed previously. I must add, as for last week, the O-line was BY FAR the biggest problem we had offensively. It wouldn't have mattered if Joe Montana was playing QB for us.

I've seen nothing out of Penix that even say's he's the future. Only passes he's ever made are quick dump off's or check downs. .I've not seen one throw down field thirty plus yards.
Plus he better be able to run for his life at time's. When playing the big boy's. Or he'll get a good look at that nice field turf. Lastly I personally hate left handed Q.B's..
Well actually, although we haven't seen a lot of Penix, I've definitely seen enough to know he has a much stronger arm, & he moves...as well as Ramsey. Now, where I'm concerned is his knowledge of the offense, & his inexperience. We can't afford to throw him to the wolves & have pick 6's getting run back every game. I haven't seen enough to know much about his accuracy, his poise, intangibles, etc. etc. Don't want to kill his confidence. If we get to the point where our lack of downfield passing is a big problem, & teams are stacking the box & showing zero respect to our deep game, then it might be time to think about a switch, but we ain't there yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: reabhnt
I've seen nothing out of Penix that even say's he's the future. Only passes he's ever made are quick dump off's or check downs. .I've not seen one throw down field thirty plus yards.
Plus he better be able to run for his life at time's. When playing the big boy's. Or he'll get a good look at that nice field turf. Lastly I personally hate left handed Q.B's..
Experience has taught me that when a person has a laundry list of complaints, the last one is the real one.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One game was a monsoon and we ran the ball. The crossing route in the MSU game to Whop resulted in a TD. I don’t care how we get there.
I agree about uva. Alot of us thought we may be holding something back in the playbook and unleashing last Saturday. Anyways disguising the playbook is bs. Matchups are the key and if my guy is faster than yours take advantage.

I could go off about the run attack last week. Crowning Stevie is and was great but Ronnie is faster and more elusive.

Looking deeper into the passing game, running game and overall offensive line. Where was the tight end last week. Maybe I missed it but if you are having trouble lining up and blocking to establish the run bring in a tight end or 2. I kept seeing 4 wr a rb and sometimes an empty backfield. How does that work with an overmatched line?

The world isnt over. The other thing...we picked a bad game to start making mistakes and shooting ourselves in the foot. If there was one thing going into the msu game that gave me confidence it was discipline and not making mistskes. The early pick 6 missing a wide open touchdown 3rd play. It happens. You cant do that against good teams.

This week is a road game and this team needs to make a comeback statement. A big one!!! Open up the playbook, play Penix, Walker, and keep rotating LB's until someone starts stepping up! Tired of safeties and corners leading the team in tackles...Not Good!

Wait a minute, wait a minute: you hate left handed QB's? Idk how I missed that the 1st time. Then again, you also said you haven't seen him throw downfield 30+ yards, so. If I were a left handed QB, I wouldn't be offended, put it that way.

I agree about uva. Alot of us thought we may be holding something back in the playbook and unleashing last Saturday. Anyways disguising the playbook is bs. Matchups are the key and if my guy is faster than yours take advantage.

I could go off about the run attack last week. Crowning Stevie is and was great but Ronnie is faster and more elusive.

Looking deeper into the passing game, running game and overall offensive line. Where was the tight end last week. Maybe I missed it but if you are having trouble lining up and blocking to establish the run bring in a tight end or 2. I kept seeing 4 wr a rb and sometimes an empty backfield. How does that work with an overmatched line?

The world isnt over. The other thing...we picked a bad game to start making mistakes and shooting ourselves in the foot. If there was one thing going into the msu game that gave me confidence it was discipline and not making mistskes. The early pick 6 missing a wide open touchdown 3rd play. It happens. You cant do that against good teams.

This week is a road game and this team needs to make a comeback statement. A big one!!! Open up the playbook, play Penix, Walker, and keep rotating LB's until someone starts stepping up! Tired of safeties and corners leading the team in tackles...Not Good!
Ronnie is faster & more elusive, & could be of great importance as a change of pace back, but the staff loves Stevie's size & strength & have confidence that he can last the season & take the brutal beating that comes from 20+ totes per game in the B1G. They're probably concerned that Ronnie would not hold up physically with more than several caries a game, at this point in his career, anyway. Scott is an absolute beast for a true Frosh.

I would love to see Penix get at least 50% of the snaps on Saturday. It's not been often that IU signs a QB with his pedigree...4*, TONS of high end offers, turned down his home state Seminoles to come to Bloomington and play ball!!!!!!!

Regarding the run game, Stevie should have a field day on Rutgers. I'd think he could go for 150++ yards easily. Ronnie might even get in on the action with a big day.

At what point does Ramsey throw it deeper than 4 yards though? I saw Westbrook and Hale on the outside one/one many times against MSU - you have to make an effort to at least get the ball to them and let them go after it. Checking down on all of his throws is exactly what the defense made him do. Not saying Penix is the answer, but 4 yards per completion isn't going to work against the big boys in the Big10 East. Just my opinion.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/740/p2
You cannot throw it deep if you are running away from somebody. You'all need to step behind a rushing defensive line that is pouring through an offensive line. You have about two seconds to set and release a ball to an identified receiver. That is hardly time to identify an open deep receiver.

Ronnie is faster & more elusive, & could be of great importance as a change of pace back, but the staff loves Stevie's size & strength & have confidence that he can last the season & take the brutal beating that comes from 20+ totes per game in the B1G. They're probably concerned that Ronnie would not hold up physically with more than several caries a game, at this point in his career, anyway. Scott is an absolute beast for a true Frosh.
My point was he didn't even get a sniff against msu...Throw him in there and see what he can do. Last year we tried a few options every game it just wasn't Morgan. Ronnie's first carry had me pretty stoked.

You cannot throw it deep if you are running away from somebody. You'all need to step behind a rushing defensive line that is pouring through an offensive line. You have about two seconds to set and release a ball to an identified receiver. That is hardly time to identify an open deep receiver.
There are timing routes...AND why didn't we launch some balls against fiu and bsu we had all day??? As far as timing routes let our tall receivers go up and fight for the ball. msu's weakest link was there secondary and we didn't even test it. All summer we heard about speed, speed and more speed. If your living in the LEO then trust your receivers to go make plays and get the ball to them. Every week we see plays from other teams receivers that go up and get the ball. Its time we started stretching the field.

My point was he didn't even get a sniff against msu...Throw him in there and see what he can do. Last year we tried a few options every game it just wasn't Morgan. Ronnie's first carry had me pretty stoked.
They probably deemed it pointless with so little room to run, besides, he got mop up duty against Ball Sate, & isn't that the only time he's played so far? Not sure the staff see's him as a viable option yet. I know he struggled in camp.

Reactions: IUCol
You know...maybe its just the "throw him in there" that hit me the wrong way. Penix needs positive controlled time. If he was a better option than Ramsey, he would be playing...period. What is so hard about the WORD...FRESHMAN!!! Look at the diff between Peyton then and now. Huge...Penix is back where Peyton was last year. Go ahead..."throw" him at anything and youre going to be disappointed if your expectation are that he will take the job. Why is this so stinking hard for some to understand. OMG lets get over this and talk about the game. Hey, Penix should get a lot of time if the game goes well. If not, he wont. Wonder what the coaches are thinking.

One final thought....did anyone read Peytons comments about the plays he ran...about the part that the coaches called the plays, not him, except when he audibled for a TD? Just curious of some can figure out just what that means...lol

OMG lets see if we can use the old crystal ball to divine just what is happening in the passing game...

1...Coach want no turnovers...okay

2...Coach has an underclassman as lead QB with an untested frosh behind him...

3...Coached control TO potential with short passing game...

4...Short passing game has little to do with arm strength of either QB but about the limits of the Oline...

5...To beat limits of oline in protection and run game, you release ball quickly...

6...Releasing the ball quickly negates long passes for EITHER QB...

7...Net result for coaches, poor national passing stats but 3-1 record...

Which do you want?

Come on people...it aint that hard. After a year of seasoning, perhaps Penix can make a stab at taking the job next summer but Im not banking on it. RIght now the coaches know what they are doing...TO's have traditionally killed us. They said...stop that...not that Ramsey cant pass as long as we need...we just don't need such high risk passes when the protection sucks...period..end of story...turn out the lights...play ball...

They probably deemed it pointless with so little room to run, besides, he got mop up duty against Ball Sate, & isn't that the only time he's played so far? Not sure the staff see's him as a viable option yet. I know he struggled in camp.
You clearly did not see the FIU game. The look of the offense was night and day due to MP utilizing the vertical aspects of the passing attack.

You clearly did not see the FIU game. The look of the offense was night and day due to MP utilizing the vertical aspects of the passing attack.
You clearly didn't read the thread closely enough: I was talking about Ronnie Walker.

You know...maybe its just the "throw him in there" that hit me the wrong way. Penix needs positive controlled time. If he was a better option than Ramsey, he would be playing...period. What is so hard about the WORD...FRESHMAN!!! Look at the diff between Peyton then and now. Huge...Penix is back where Peyton was last year. Go ahead..."throw" him at anything and youre going to be disappointed if your expectation are that he will take the job. Why is this so stinking hard for some to understand. OMG lets get over this and talk about the game. Hey, Penix should get a lot of time if the game goes well. If not, he wont. Wonder what the coaches are thinking.

One final thought....did anyone read Peytons comments about the plays he ran...about the part that the coaches called the plays, not him, except when he audibled for a TD? Just curious of some can figure out just what that means...lol
The "throw him in there" person I was talking about was Ronnie Walker. Not Penix...Cmon man read the quote I was responding too. And yes I think Walker should have got some reps last Saturday night. The box score says he got a rep but posts no stats. I didn't see him in there.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from starting Ramsey next week. Let MP have a week of leading the 1s in practice, prep to be the starter, run a two minute drill, and maybe a six minute drill while keeping PR healthy for OSU. If he falls flat, let PR save the day.

It's a terrific opportunity for Penix to start a conference game on the road, and hopefully build confidence that will pay off later.

We know what we have in PR...25-36 241 yards 2 TDs 1 int per game. Let's find out what we have in MP. Next week only...for now.

Here's the thing about Ramsey..........

He's #70 in the country for QB rating, about average

He's #10 in passing %, but #107 in yards per attempt (that's yards per attempt, not completion). That's with a hell of a good receiving corps. Those #s would do if we were as good defensively as last year. With this year's D, we need more explosiveness.

Compare to Blough: #25 QB rating, #23 ypa

That's not a winning situation for us.

Reactions: Lillyr66 and DANC
Well I'd rather be us (3-1) than them (1-3).

BTW, defense (despite who we lost) has not dropped off. It's been a pleasant surprise. And, actually, maybe not a surprise considering who's running the show.

Here's the thing about Ramsey..........

He's #70 in the country for QB rating, about average

He's #10 in passing %, but #107 in yards per attempt (that's yards per attempt, not completion). That's with a hell of a good receiving corps. Those #s would do if we were as good defensively as last year. With this year's D, we need more explosiveness.

Compare to Blough: #25 QB rating, #23 ypa

No arguing they have an explosive offense but points per game matter too.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT