ADVERTISEMENT

Start Penix against Rutgers

Chriselli

All-Big Ten
Nov 27, 2001
There is absolutely nothing to gain from starting Ramsey next week. Let MP have a week of leading the 1s in practice, prep to be the starter, run a two minute drill, and maybe a six minute drill while keeping PR healthy for OSU. If he falls flat, let PR save the day.

It's a terrific opportunity for Penix to start a conference game on the road, and hopefully build confidence that will pay off later.

We know what we have in PR...25-36 241 yards 2 TDs 1 int per game. Let's find out what we have in MP. Next week only...for now.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from starting Ramsey next week. Let MP have a week of leading the 1s in practice, prep to be the starter, run a two minute drill, and maybe a six minute drill while keeping PR healthy for OSU. If he falls flat, let PR save the day.

It's a terrific opportunity for Penix to start a conference game on the road, and hopefully build confidence that will pay off later.

We know what we have in PR...25-36 241 yards 2 TDs 1 int per game. Let's find out what we have in MP. Next week only...for now.
I can only say...ridiculous...sorry

I...I...i just can't. PR is the starting QB. Period.

I was wondering last night “would it be worth trying Penix to see if he could use that zip to open things up a bit?”

Maybe OL would have he’d blocks knowing he’s more of a deep ball threat? Maybe a few longer completions would have softened them up a bit?

I really do like Ramsey and it’s not really fair to blame him alone when he was scrambling for most of the game and not much daylight for RBs to get going. And he does have a real command of the offense and is very accurate in short game!

But I will admit the zip in Penix balls may simply get there faster than Ramsey and worth seeing if there is a there, there for now.

It’s never personal, it’s just business.

I was wondering last night “would it be worth trying Penix to see if he could use that zip to open things up a bit?”

Maybe OL would have he’d blocks knowing he’s more of a deep ball threat? Maybe a few longer completions would have softened them up a bit?

I really do like Ramsey and it’s not really fair to blame him alone when he was scrambling for most of the game and not much daylight for RBs to get going. And he does have a real command of the offense and is very accurate in short game!

But I will admit the zip in Penix balls may simply get there faster than Ramsey and worth seeing if there is a there, there for now.

It’s never personal, it’s just business.
I don't get the blame Ramsey alone thing for scrambling...not a bit. It was the line...NOT Ramsey. Penix would have been eaten alive and spit out.

Reactions: 76-1 and kmathum
I don’t blame Ramsey for scrambling at all. Per Penix Inthink trying him for a series to see if he could soften them up a bit could have been an option. And was also responding to may not be bad to give him some run against Rutgers.

Ramsey does about 85% all right and is a good player. He still has the 15% mental lapse on only a play or three, not often, but they have had the potential to be picks or pick sixes that can hurt you.

Still I’m not down on him, but think Penix needs to get some action so he’s ready to play as there is no denying his live arm may be a different kind of weapon for IU to consider. Complimentary to, doesn’t have to mean “Ramsey out for good.”

I don’t blame Ramsey for scrambling at all. Per Penix Inthink trying him for a series to see if he could soften them up a bit could have been an option. And was also responding to may not be bad to give him some run against Rutgers.

Ramsey does about 85% all right and is a good player. He still has the 15% mental lapse on only a play or three, not often, but they have had the potential to be picks or pick sixes that can hurt you.

Still I’m not down on him, but think Penix needs to get some action so he’s ready to play as there is no denying his live arm may be a different kind of weapon for IU to consider. Complimentary to, doesn’t have to mean “Ramsey out for good.”
Are you really advocating a 2 QB system? And at what point does getting a backup QB "more time" does it not constitute a dual system. And when does the starter, only a sophomore, lose valuable reps he needs enough to hurt his game?

Thin ice here...dangerous. Is it worth it. Can Penix really replace Ramsey? Hmmm.

Good fair questions.

Pro: Penix is a four star recruit and maybe like Alabama who replaces a kid who was 24-2 as a starter, sometimes you still need to let a thoroughbred get in and open things up further.

Cons: dual QB system can be tough to know who’s in or out, maybe cause concerns with chemistry. And maybe limits growth of both players.

Third consideration: keep Ramsey as main starter, but Pencil in Penix to get time against Rutgers given potential for a lead that would allow it. And maybe a series to put him in against MSU to let him take a few shots, if he hits and softens them up, why not take a shot? If he’s three and out Ramsey goes right back in?

Switching QBs seems to be working out well for the Irish!?!!! I think PR is a good QB, but what if Penix comes in and starts dominating? Give him some work against a sorry Rutgers team while also giving PR a few series to get his confidence back up.

MSU has one of the best OLs/DLs in the country, while IU is still young on both ends. Cronk had a really bad game last night, and it doesn't help with DeBOREDs Paganoish style play calling, but IU still isn't a bad team all around.

Too bad we can't go undefeated now!!! Has basketball season started yet?
(sarcasm)

Reactions: vesuvius13

i wouldn't start him but i bet he plays some.

Switching QBs seems to be working out well for the Irish!?!!! I think PR is a good QB, but what if Penix comes in and starts dominating? Give him some work against a sorry Rutgers team while also giving PR a few series to get his confidence back up.

MSU has one of the best OLs/DLs in the country, while IU is still young on both ends. Cronk had a really bad game last night, and it doesn't help with DeBOREDs Paganoish style play calling, but IU still isn't a bad team all around.

Too bad we can't go undefeated now!!! Has basketball season started yet?
(sarcasm)

First, MSU’s OL is average, they have a lot of injuries. Next... The OP has somewhat of a point. You think MSU’s D Line is good? Well the bad/good news, you’ll get to see much better. OSU’s (even without Bosa) is arguably the best in the nation, Michigan’s is filthy and get to you using the blitz. Iowa’s front 4 and Penn St’s.... All better than MSU’s.

Penix would add a quicker release and more mobility but it won’t matter if we can’t get the run game going, as they will just tee off on whoever is playing QB. All up to the OL.

Good fair questions.

Pro: Penix is a four star recruit and maybe like Alabama who replaces a kid who was 24-2 as a starter, sometimes you still need to let a thoroughbred get in and open things up further.

Cons: dual QB system can be tough to know who’s in or out, maybe cause concerns with chemistry. And maybe limits growth of both players.

Third consideration: keep Ramsey as main starter, but Pencil in Penix to get time against Rutgers given potential for a lead that would allow it. And maybe a series to put him in against MSU to let him take a few shots, if he hits and softens them up, why not take a shot? If he’s three and out Ramsey goes right back in?
I am all for getting Penix his two games...more than that...I'd like to see him for a half during Rutgers. If were going to use the 4 games, get miles out of them. But it must be the right game...maybe even start him at Rutgers. Let Peyton get some valuable rest for a 2nd week and heal up. If Penix plays well, let him have the entire game. Now that would be positive experience and not be a 2 QB setup. Just a chance to get Peyton some needed RR before the worst of the schedule. Good for everyone. ANd still Penix has a game to play...win win...imo

To me, Rutgers is a preseason game. There is no need to risk injuries or evaluate the guys where you already know what you have.

When Andrew Luck sits out a preseason game, do fans say that the Colts have a two quarterback system? Absolutely not, because Luck is clearly better than his backup. If PR is not clearly better than his backup, then why not check out his backup? There is absolutely nothing to lose here.

As for last night: the Oline was really bad. However, PR held on to the ball way too long. Why? Because there was great coverage. Why? Because all the receivers are running 3-8 yard routes and the defense is crowding the line of scrimmage and taking that away. How? Because PR does not scare them over the top - even with Hale and Westbrook as deep threats.

The strength of our offense is the WR group. Get them involved, push back the safeties, and run with Stevie against six and seven in the box.

Again, let's try it in a one game vacuum against Rutgers. Maybe Penix falls on his face and we find out what we have there, or maybe the opposite. There really is nothing to lose.

First, MSU’s OL is average, they have a lot of injuries. Next... The OP has somewhat of a point. You think MSU’s D Line is good? Well the bad/good news, you’ll get to see much better. OSU’s (even without Bosa) is arguably the best in the nation, Michigan’s is filthy and get to you using the blitz. Iowa’s front 4 and Penn St’s.... All better than MSU’s.

Penix would add a quicker release and more mobility but it won’t matter if we can’t get the run game going, as they will just tee off on whoever is playing QB. All up to the OL.
Wow...I know youre hurting...we all are...but MSU's oline was not even close to average. Its okay...it will stop hurting...vbg...they weren't at their best, but way way better than us. What else matters to the matrix?

To me, Rutgers is a preseason game. There is no need to risk injuries or evaluate the guys where you already know what you have.

When Andrew Luck sits out a preseason game, do fans say that the Colts have a two quarterback system? Absolutely not, because Luck is clearly better than his backup. If PR is not clearly better than his backup, then why not check out his backup? There is absolutely nothing to lose here.

As for last night: the Oline was really bad. However, PR held on to the ball way too long. Why? Because there was great coverage. Why? Because all the receivers are running 3-8 yard routes and the defense is crowding the line of scrimmage and taking that away. How? Because PR does not scare them over the top - even with Hale and Westbrook as deep threats.

The strength of our offense is the WR group. Get them involved, push back the safeties, and run with Stevie against six and seven in the box.

Again, let's try it in a one game vacuum against Rutgers. Maybe Penix falls on his face and we find out what we have there, or maybe the opposite. There really is nothing to lose.
Wow again...nothing to lose? Abandon all hope who read here...vbg...nothing personal but you underestimate MSU...

Wow...I know youre hurting...we all are...but MSU's oline was not even close to average. Its okay...it will stop hurting...vbg...they weren't at their best, but way way better than us. What else matters to the matrix?

Not hurting, actually the opposite. I love the fight in this team and they could have easily quit. They didn’t and it showed. What separates us from the upper teams in our division/conference, is the line play and lack of depth. It showed again last night. We are building and on our way but the separation is apparent. I have faith in this staff.

Do you mean start him on OL? Our OL was dominated.

Why is everybody treating the Rutgers game on the road like it is some sort of “exhibition game?”
IU is not known for just waltzing in somewhere and half-assing it and expect to come away with a win. We need to treat each game with the highest intensity as the next. My God.... have people not watched enough football at IU to know that they have to treat every opponent like an all-out war? You guys are acting like we should start the 2nd unit and just go through the motions. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Why is everybody treating the Rutgers game on the road like it is some sort of “exhibition game?”
IU is not known for just waltzing in somewhere and half-assing it and expect to come away with a win. We need to treat each game with the highest intensity as the next. My God.... have people not watched enough football at IU to know that they have to treat every opponent like an all-out war? You guys are acting like we should start the 2nd unit and just go through the motions. That’s a recipe for disaster.
Excellent point to which there is no rebut. However, they aint good and though I'd start my 1st team...vbg...I might give Penix a full game shot for experience...not to replace Peyton...but solid game for him will stick to the ribs. If he struggles, Ramsey is right there to save his butt. Could be worse plan...vbg...make a lot of people happy...

Wow again...nothing to lose? Abandon all hope who read here...vbg...nothing personal but you underestimate MSU...
Not nothing to lose based on the performance against MSU, but nothing to lose against Rutgers. We will be 21 point favorites I estimate.

Excellent point to which there is no rebut. However, they aint good and though I'd start my 1st team...vbg...I might give Penix a full game shot for experience...
Me, I'd use it as an opportunity to give Taylor some snaps.

Need to save Penix for later in the season, as long as we can. If we need him to play to win this year, then sure, do it. But don't ruin the chance to keep the shirt just for shits and giggles.

You couldn't be more right. Sure RU looks like a dumpster fire, but it would be stupid to give a really bad team a jump start by not scoring and maybe giving them a touchdown or two to get their confidence up. This "we don't have anything to lose against Rutgers" is deadly. A team, especially IU, has to go for the kill from the start. One only has to look at what happened to VT against Old Dominion yesterday to see see what this lackadaisical attitude will get you.

Are you really advocating a 2 QB system? And at what point does getting a backup QB "more time" does it not constitute a dual system. And when does the starter, only a sophomore, lose valuable reps he needs enough to hurt his game?

Thin ice here...dangerous. Is it worth it. Can Penix really replace Ramsey? Hmmm.

I'm not saying start him, but you're going to have to give him a real chance to play to see what he can do.

If you just play him in 2 more games as a wrap-up guy, you'll be making the same arguments in PR's favor and against him next Spring as you are now.

We all know what PR can and cannot do. We don't know what Penix can and cannot do. I hope he plays a LOT in the RU game, including time with the 1st string O.

Peyton Ramsey did not get a chance to play last year until Richard Lagow had a meltdown against Virginia. Lagow was 3-10-1 with 24 yards passings. Using Ramsey was not a proactive decision.

Last edited:

No but he should play a couple of series.

I'm somewhat of a gambler, so I agree with this idea. It might be more of a gamble to Tom Allen's career if he doesn't figure out a way to get Michael Penix on the field!!

You must not have watched the game. Ramsey was running for his life most of the game but still managed to perform in an excellent fashion. No reason he should not continue to start at this time.

Reactions: IUXC68 and kmathum
Ramsey performed very well, no doubt. However, in rewatching the game, he clearly missed a WIDE OPEN Taylor on the third play of offense that would've given iu the initial lead of 7-0.

I think it is very reasonable to assume Penix would've connected in that spot. If that's true, and Ramsey lacks a reasonable deep ball, I want to see more of Penix in live action. I don't see Ramsey starting next year anyway, Penix is the future.

I want to add, the pick call on Hale looks like a typical Big Ten screw job. What a lame call..it's football for crying out loud.

Ramsey performed very well, no doubt. However, in rewatching the game, he clearly missed a WIDE OPEN Taylor on the third play of offense that would've given iu the initial lead of 7-0.

I think it is very reasonable to assume Penix would've connected in that spot. If that's true, and Ramsey lacks a reasonable deep ball, I want to see more of Penix in live action. I don't see Ramsey starting next year anyway, Penix is the future.

I want to add, the pick call on Hale looks like a typical Big Ten screw job. What a lame call..it's football for crying out loud.
what makes you think penix would have completed that pass? because he was a 4*?

Reactions: IUXC68

Okay...just so I understand your remark...Ramsey missed a receiver...which happens to every QB every game...but an untried, untested, inexperienced freshman being bull rushed by MSU linemen...would have made the play?!?!?? No only cannot that be reasonably assumed...its ridiculous. Why would you say that? There is no basis for that comment at all. Come on man...

Reactions: IUXC68 and reabhnt
I've seen nothing out of Penix that even say's he's the future. Only passes he's ever made are quick dump off's or check downs. .I've not seen one throw down field thirty plus yards.
Plus he better be able to run for his life at time's. When playing the big boy's. Or he'll get a good look at that nice field turf. Lastly I personally hate left handed Q.B's..

It is more than reasonable to assumed that Ramsey is the best quarterback suiting up. However it is reasonable to also assume that Penix has the greater upside. He is a 4-Star recruit who is bigger, faster and by all accounts has a more powerful arm.

Also, if the past repeats itself it is reasonable to assume that Ramsey will have some injury issues during the season. I anticipate Penix getting about 35% of the snaps against Rutgers. IU can not afford to bet that Ramsey will be available for the entire season.

Most deep routes are delivered at 15 - 18 yards. Completing passes at 30 yards is not really the optimal distance. That is not a high percentage pass for most quarterbacks.
At what point does Ramsey throw it deeper than 4 yards though? I saw Westbrook and Hale on the outside one/one many times against MSU - you have to make an effort to at least get the ball to them and let them go after it. Checking down on all of his throws is exactly what the defense made him do. Not saying Penix is the answer, but 4 yards per completion isn't going to work against the big boys in the Big10 East. Just my opinion.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/740/p2

At what point does Ramsey throw it deeper than 4 yards though? I saw Westbrook and Hale on the outside one/one many times against MSU - you have to make an effort to at least get the ball to them and let them go after it. Checking down on all of his throws is exactly what the defense made him do. Not saying Penix is the answer, but 4 yards per completion isn't going to work against the big boys in the Big10 East. Just my opinion.
Ramsey took what they gave him.. I am comfortable trusting that Ramsey was seeing the game better than anyone sitting in the stands or on TV. He desnt get the benefit of high angle cameras and replay. Try it...its hard...and with MSU bull rushing every damn play, this is what you get. Geeeeeeesh...

Peyton in ranked 122 out of 125 for average yards per pass. Wow!

Ramsey took what they gave him.. I am comfortable trusting that Ramsey was seeing the game better than anyone sitting in the stands or on TV. He desnt get the benefit of high angle cameras and replay. Try it...its hard...and with MSU bull rushing every damn play, this is what you get. Geeeeeeesh...
That may be however we played 3 other games before msu where he had all day. So either the offense is designed that way OR we arent getting open on deep routes OR he isnt confident throwing deep. That stat is very eye opening. It was the same last year. We need to take shots. When you have a roster full of 22 mph receivers you take advantage of matchups. Its not that difficult

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT