ADVERTISEMENT

St F post game thoughts?

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
Watched some of the 'highlight' clip. Still not sure what to think given level of competitive talent faced so far. We probably had 2-4" of height advantage at every position last night, with one of the deepest benches in country.

JHS is as I thought, ready for high level P5 ball right out of the gate. We'll be lucky to have him for 2 seasons. With the deep bench, and adding JHS to the starting 5, Kopp won't be needed to score a lot, and probably won't. X needs to find his groove, still seems a bit out of sync. I'd like to see Reneau up against some bigger, real talent, but so far he seems like a player we should have been more excited about landing. As TJD's backup, he appears to be a huge upgrade from Derr last yr.

Good to see TJD back on the court. His FTs looked pretty good. Wrist didn't seem to bother him much.

Wasn't very impressed with some of our D on the high screens, and on-ball D at the wing/baseline led to slow feet/easy drive layup a couple times, even X got taken to the hole, so hoping CMW hammers on that in practice. Will be interesting to see if the frosh like JHS and Reneau can avoid foul trouble against the likes of UNC and KU.

Reactions: kkott
Thank you, having not seen either of the two “non” - games, I trust your observations

After watching all of both games...Its seems pretty obvious we're better in the following areas...

1. Players that can make plays with the ball.
2. Post depth
3. Overall talent on the bench

We didn't need to be a ton better, likely, to win a good amount more games in the conference. So outside a handful of really surprising teams, and/or a rash of injuries on our team...top 5ish in the conference and safe NCAA team should be baked into the cake.

The question marks, that I'm not sure could have been answered yet...

1. Will we be more efficient offensively?
2. Will we shoot the ball better from the 3?
3. By replacing seasoned veterans like Rob, Parker, and Michael, with younger guys, will our defense take a hit?

The answers to these 3 questions will determine if we can win take bigger steps forward and contend for championships this year. JHS, Malik, and CJ's exhibition performances officially have my eyebrows raised.

Reactions: kkott and turney333
I thought the D was great in both games. These freshmen have improved our athleticism and quickness. And last night Quisenberry was quick and when he got by his defender there was help side D inside. He still got points but he was their best player. I think our D is just fine.

Duncomb and Banks were both in street clothes. Not 100% sure why that was the case.

I thought the D was great in both games. These freshmen have improved our athleticism and quickness. And last night Quisenberry was quick and when he got by his defender there was help side D inside. He still got points but he was their best player. I think our D is just fine.
It sounded like the D was pretty mediocre for a good part of the first half last night. But it's early and guys are still learning. No worries at all.

It sounded like the D was pretty mediocre for a good part of the first half last night. But it's early and guys are still learning. No worries at all.

solid offensive strategy by St Francis to start the game. Took advantage of IUs size and aggressive defense to get guys out of position. And took advantage of IUs switching which had Race guarding their 5’8” PG quite a bit. Once IU figured out the strategy, the defense settled in and did fine

I assume these games are of some help to us or we would not schedule them. At least a break from playing each other.
Questions to be answered:
Will Tamar be a break out player?
Have we seen TJDs ceiling?
Can X play consistently?
JG, LD, how much will they add?
I believe Malik and JHS will be very good.

Reactions: DCDAVID
I assume these games are of some help to us or we would not schedule them. At least a break from playing each other.
Can X play consistently?
I think the games are good for the guys to play someone different, other than each other in practice, and for Woody to try different rotations and see how freshman react to real game speed and playing in front of 10k+ fans.
I agree with you that it appears that Malik and JHS are the “real deal” and the uncertainty of X being consistent and Bates truly breaking out. We will see.
On the flip-side….the challenge when playing inferior opponents is that good play doesn’t always transfer when playing better teams. I remember Damezi, as an example, giving people hope when he hit some 3’s against lesser teams but as we know he could not replicate that when playing against taller/more athletic guys that could close out on him quicker.
At the least, the two games seem to reinforce that we have a really high floor.

TJD will be better than last year (his free throws look like money) and Malik is as was said elsewhere, a much BETTER Player than Durr (maybe needs to look to reverse the ball back outside more often) and then there's Dumcomb.

Race will be better (even if only incrementally) as he is every year, Geronimo looks to have improved and again, there's Dumcomb .

Jalen looks to be all that and also so much that Parker Stewart simply was not, including a much better defender.

Trey looks like Trey but perhaps with a better shot - his outside stroke seems to have it lost some 'hitch' and he's appears to actually be looking to shoot. Think he crowds on D a little too much and consequently gets beat by the first step of quicker guards.

Xavier has been challenged but not in the least by the opposition. Believe he'll get sorted soon enough - appears his shot from distance is true save for the fact of being consistently short.

Kopp looks better and hasn't missed a shot in two games. Small sample size but promising.

Bates seems much more locked in, and a bit like a beast, sure would like to see him become consistently dangerous from deep.

Disappointing to see Leal so deep in the rotation.

Gunn appears to have something more than just potential - maybe a candidate to be a serious outside threat.

Kaleb may need another year to figure it out but way too early to know.

Better at every position and significantly deeper than last year. Very athletic crew - faster, taller and hopefully smarter defensively. Offense seems to be spread more, have a little better motion and more options. Think IU is going to be a tough matchup for most everyone.

JHS, Reneau, and Gunn have played two good and consistent games. JHS starting replaces an ineffective Parker Stewart. He will help take the pressure off TJD and should allow Race better opportunities

The difference this year is our second unit can score with Malik, Bates, Trey, and Geronimo on the floor. The second unit with JHS with them would do very well. There may be games where our first unit holds their own and our bench against the other team's bench pulls out a lead.

JHS, Reneau, and Gunn have played two good and consistent games. JHS starting replaces an ineffective Parker Stewart. He will help take the pressure off TJD and should allow Race better opportunities

The difference this year is our second unit can score with Malik, Bates, Trey, and Geronimo on the floor. The second unit with JHS with them would do very well. There may be games where our first unit holds their own and our bench against the other team's bench pulls out a lead.
You Sir, said a mouthful. Parker's replacement is a huge upgrade but I believe the player who'll benefit most, as soon as he figures out he will, is X. MR subbing in for Race or Davis doesn't let post possibilities diminish. B1G look out! The HOOSIERS are alive and well living in flyover country.

Can X play consistently?
I think they are of help... as you said, a break from playing each other. And a dry test run for the season: get through the newness of game prep, test player combinations and fans in the stands (and refs!) before they count. I really liked what Woody said about playing Marian every year as long as SD is there! The more we incorporate and involve our past players, the better for the program I believe!

Most interesting to me in the St.Francis game was that the "2nd unit" was better defensively than the first in my opinion. Better in passing lanes, better on the wings. Other than Johnson on ball who did well defensively, that second group was really good. The vets will be needed against Big Ten post players, but I like that active defense of those rangey guys.

I also think Kopp is probably less valuable than Geronimo or Bates on the wing. And Reneau should probably play alongside TJD some to see how that works.

I would like to see Xavier, JHS, Geronimo, Reneau and TJD as the first unit. Bring Race in when playing big post players, and as 6th man. Banks, Galloway, Gunn and Duncomb in rotation then bring in Kopp if someone struggles with assignments or if no one can hit a shot.

Final observation: Trayce needs to go to his moves without waiting for double teams more often. As quick as he is, the waiting slows the offense too much against a small team like that. If he is up against Eddey or Dickenson, sure, but against most guys he needs to go right to the rim.

Reactions: Pryght
Most interesting to me in the St.Francis game was that the "2nd unit" was better defensively than the first in my opinion. Better in passing lanes, better on the wings. Other than Johnson on ball who did well defensively, that second group was really good. The vets will be needed against Big Ten post players, but I like that active defense of those rangey guys.

I also think Kopp is probably less valuable than Geronimo or Bates on the wing. And Reneau should probably play alongside TJD some to see how that works.

I would like to see Xavier, JHS, Geronimo, Reneau and TJD as the first unit. Bring Race in when playing big post players, and as 6th man. Banks, Galloway, Gunn and Duncomb in rotation then bring in Kopp if someone struggles with assignments or if no one can hit a shot.

Final observation: Trayce needs to go to his moves without waiting for double teams more often. As quick as he is, the waiting slows the offense too much against a small team like that. If he is up against Eddey or Dickenson, sure, but against most guys he needs to go right to the rim.
Astute Final Observation.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Final observation: Trayce needs to go to his moves without waiting for double teams more often.
This was the most ( ok maybe not most) obvious thing to me. He and Reneau both would stall for 2,3,4 seconds before making their move. I should qualify this as maybe not EVERY time, but it was often enough that I was screaming GO GO GO..

Reactions: hookyIU1990
This was the most ( ok maybe not most) obvious thing to me. He and Reneau both would stall for 2,3,4 seconds before making their move. I should qualify this as maybe not EVERY time, but it was often enough that I was screaming GO GO GO..
He (MR) didn't have that hesitation in the first exhibition game. Or at least it wasn't as noticeable.

TR,
I just can't see Coach not starting Race. He plays with great chemistry with TJD and we want to get out to a quick start at the beginning of every game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT