ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Thread

He's not 'wrong'. That's not that negative a take.

I felt similar about the backs and that we'd better throw well. And many are not too pumped about the D-line and LBs.

I was more optimistic before the game too, just a touch. Maybe because somehow I heard Rourke was the second coming.

I'm still optimistic though. There's time, and there's a lot of talent. Other than the Michigan's and Ahia States, who doesn't have a lot of holes?

Reactions: red hornet
I don't get much of anything from spring games for anybody. There are at least 4 full months before the season. The staff and a majority of the players have only been here since January.

What I saw and deduced is that there will be lots of work and fighting going on before the season starts as it appears lots of battles for the two deep.

I'm gonna be Dougie Downer here. I was more optimistic about next year BEFORE last night than I am today.

Our OL didn't impress me against what will be one of the weaker DLs in the conference.

Our backs are all about the same...none with blazing speed and none that are going to run over anyone.

It looked to me like we'll need to throw the ball 80% of the time to be successful...good news, we do have WR depth and some talent. Rourke was meh at first and then got better. TJ was great at first and then got a little meh.

I was puzzled why we didn't punt even if we weren't going to actually do anything other than fair catch it, but that's no big deal.

I was just pretty meh about the whole thing, other than McCulley's TD, Tayven's first two drives and...I guess Coby.
Not being a downer just expressing your honest opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Bottom line for me, with our schedule I think we have a good shot at a 6 win bowl season. Anything more than that is gravy. A great first season for a new regime. Something to build on.

Not being a downer just expressing your honest opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Bottom line for me, with our schedule I think we have a good shot at a 6 win bowl season. Anything more than that is gravy. A great first season for a new regime. Something to build on.
I agree that the schedule sets up nicely...or could. But we could win 5 and then be waiting a long time to get that 6th....that won't feel good.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Trying to temper expectations but I have been as bullish on the coming season as I was in 2021 and we all know how that turned out. We need to see what we got in the first actual game before getting too excited. I think Cig is going to turn this thing around but it may take longer than we might like. I’m happy with 6 next year and ecstatic with anything over that.

Reactions: OpenWheels
Final thought.

While sitting there I was thinking that should have made the Spring Game one of the earlier scrimmages during the solar eclipse viewing. Use it as a double draw.
They wouldn't want to be responsible for someone looking at the eclipse without glasses

I agree that the schedule sets up nicely...or could. But we could win 5 and then be waiting a long time to get that 6th....that won't feel good.
I'm excited after watching the spring game. Both offenses & defenses are dynamic, & fast, plus the players seem to be enjoying themselves out there. I see us 9-0 headed into the Michigan game at Ann Arbor.

I'm excited after watching the spring game. Both offenses & defenses are dynamic, & fast, plus the players seem to be enjoying themselves out there. I see us 9-0 headed into the Michigan game at Ann Arbor.
I hope the change in approach brings about big changes in the results this year and going 8-0 heading into Michigan would be great.

Last edited:
Saw so much last night in 2 quarters that were missing or lacking in a smoothness over past seasons. Opponents D will have to shutdown the arial offense to keep up. Just seemed better organized and well executed. Like lots of rushing plays with no sniff of an iffy handoff. Maybe DL didn't stress anyone? No Chinese fire drill masquerading as substitutions. Just well managed compared to the past. All tells me Cignetti at IU spells success sooner than later.

9-0 would make this a legendary season. I stand by my prediction that we're playing for a bowl at homecoming and beat the piss out of Purdue in Bloomington.

I'm gonna be Dougie Downer here. I was more optimistic about next year BEFORE last night than I am today.

Our OL didn't impress me against what will be one of the weaker DLs in the conference.

Our backs are all about the same...none with blazing speed and none that are going to run over anyone.

It looked to me like we'll need to throw the ball 80% of the time to be successful...good news, we do have WR depth and some talent. Rourke was meh at first and then got better. TJ was great at first and then got a little meh.

I was puzzled why we didn't punt even if we weren't going to actually do anything other than fair catch it, but that's no big deal.

I was just pretty meh about the whole thing, other than McCulley's TD, Tayven's first two drives and...I guess Coby.
No offense but…..aren’t you the same guy that is always defending the direction of the men’s basketball program and getting on to many posters about being critical of Grandpa?

Just found it very ironic that you are skeptical here but confident about the coach of the men’s hoops?

I took my grandson last night and had a good time and enjoyed the first half. Had to get back to Terre Haute as he had school today. I can't really add much about the on the field action that has not been discussed. The thing I did notice though it appears there is more team speed than I remember over the years.

I believe there will be a lot of work put in by guys that want to be in two deep come fall. A lot more competition than in the past and new staff make you find out who wants it the most.

A couple of side notes got caught on the IU twitter video grabbing food, took the stadium tour grandson was impressed. He told a friend that the weight room was amazing and 30 times better than the high school he attends.

Field got pictures with Heps rock and a close-up view of Sydney Parrish in leather shorts. Yes, I am an old man but hey doesn't hurt to admire views at least.
Yeah, I saw Sydney walking back and forth in front of us with a camera. Good looking girl.

Watched the highlights replay. Missed a ton of stuff when it was live, too busy BSing on the chat lol.

Noticed Kaiden Turner, LB. Seems to have talent. He's bigger than Aiden and lays a thump on run plays. (Edit: Not bigger I guess. IU site stats have Turner lighter than Fisher. Looked stockier to me.) If they platoon a little and can keep both those guys healthy... Might not be bad at all.
Saw Amare Ferrell, DB, come up fast one play and hit hard. So solid I thought he was an OLB. Listed as 198#. He looks talented too.

Made me a bit less worried about dee anyway.

Last edited:
Interesting Spring game recap …

1. When was the last time RBs were “explosive”?
2. Starting QB will have to earn it.
3. Interesting Coby and McCully were reported as a starting with the 2’s … apparently they have to earn it too.
… I thought they both played ‘hungry’.
4. OL is a strength … Give Bostad a raise … I’ll wait til the UCLA game to agree.
5. Let’s hope TE Horton makes the NFL like Hendershot did.

http://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-bl...bout-the-offense-in-ius-spring-game/2024/4/21

1. The Running Backs Look Athletic and Explosive

“I just think our running back room is faster, more dynamic, good at pass pro, good at catching the ball out of the backfield, can break tackles. We have more speed and athleticism back there. All three of those guys just love football. They're football nuts. Tough guys. They're tough guys.” Curt Cignetti said after the game.

2. The Quarterback Room is in Good Hands

“I think there's a healthy competition there heading into summer and fall camp. Competition is a great thing. We need more competition at all positions. That was one of our issues this spring is we have some guys that played some football in the past that didn't have the kind of competition we'd like to see to motivate them to go out every day, every play, focused in, best effort, improving.” Cignetti said of the quarterbacks.

3. The Wide Receiver Room is Deep and Talented

Newcomers Miles Cross and Elijah Surratt each made several catches while incumbents like Donaven McCulley and Andison Coby had big plays with the second team. E.J. Williams did not play due to an injury, but this room is deep enough to survive without him.

4. The Offensive Line is a Strength
It has been a long time since IU fans and coaches can feel confident in the offensive line. …

“ That would be hard for me to evaluate that until I watch the tape. I know, when we ran the ball, we ran it really well. It seemed like the ball was moving forward.” Cignetti said.

5. Tight Ends Have a Bigger Impact

Horton and all the tight ends made their presence felt on Thursday night with several big catches and key blocks to help the offense in key situations. Incoming transfer Zach Horton can do it all at the position while James Bomba and Trey Walker each made the plays in the passing game as well.

“Our offense is built to love tight ends as much as running backs and receivers.” Quarterback Kurtis Rourke said. “So you know, just kind of taking what the defense has given us and just having the tight ends be open. And when you can get the ball in tight ends hands, … usually good things can … come from that.”

He's not 'wrong'. That's not that negative a take.

I felt similar about the backs and that we'd better throw well. And many are not too pumped about the D-line and LBs.

I was more optimistic before the game too, just a touch. Maybe because somehow I heard Rourke was the second coming.

I'm still optimistic though. There's time, and there's a lot of talent. Other than the Michigan's and Ahia States, who doesn't have a lot of holes?
I think our LBs looked non existent and the only transfer player that impressed was Black. Honestly most of the low major transfers looked like I would expect someone from that level to look.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Bottom line for me four months and 15 practices are not enough time to have almost any evaluations. As I said before the roster is fuller with guys that can compete for the two deep and they better work or they won't be in it. I am interested to see how development and bonds form between certain players especially quarterbacks and receivers. I think we will see some really good development by the end of August. The schedule with 8 home games sets up as a good potential for enough wins for a bowl but really too early to tell that.

Toughest games:

OSU
Michigan, Washington, UCLA all with new coaches also.
The rest all are in the toss up with me putting the three non-conference games in the win column.

So after spring review with no clear evaluations I see 3-7 wins.

I think our LBs looked non existent and the only transfer player that impressed was Black. Honestly most of the low major transfers looked like I would expect someone from that level to look.
It’s funny to me how divergent the opinions on the linebackers are. Some love what they saw in the scrimmage, some were quite disappointed.

It’s funny to me how divergent the opinions on the linebackers are. Some love what they saw in the scrimmage, some were quite disappointed.
I went back and watched the game again and focused on the linebackers and they seemed to get just gobbled up. Maybe our O-line and blocking schemes were just that good. Who knows.

Interesting, I don't see a single post in this thread liking our LBs? Has that been the word elsewhere?

Strongest in this thread I see is my own posts where I said I went in expecting total awfulness and felt we were a 'little better' than I expected. Then I still felt like I was bagging on Aiden too much, so went back and reviewed since coach keeps singing his praises and so I keep wondering what I miss. So I said 'may not be too bad' if platooned and healthy. Reason for that was on review looking only at LB I felt Kaiden Turner looked better against the run than Fisher. He's apparently second string though...

I hope we get a DT and LB, but the coaches love Aiden and have yet to even mention that position as a need.

As someone said, we did often have lineman in the LB level, not good, unless it means Bostad having them at a high level. Maybe!

Interesting, I don't see a single post in this thread liking our LBs? Has that been the word elsewhere?

Strongest in this thread I see is my own posts where I said I went in expecting total awfulness and felt we were a 'little better' than I expected. Then I still felt like I was bagging on Aiden too much, so went back and reviewed since coach keeps singing his praises and so I keep wondering what I miss. So I said 'may not be too bad' if platooned and healthy. Reason for that was on review looking only at LB I felt Kaiden Turner looked better against the run than Fisher. He's apparently second string though...

I hope we get a DT and LB, but the coaches love Aiden and have yet to even mention that position as a need.

As someone said, we did often have lineman in the LB level, not good, unless it means Bostad having them at a high level. Maybe!
I've seen the + comments on private access sites and maybe X

They said a lot of starters are hurt
Just re-watched it... My initial impressions stand... Our LB's are pathetic...

Fisher repeated his Air Force performance by getting big numbers in quantity (# of tackles) while not bringing anyone down until they were 7 + yards down the field...

If we go with that Spring Game two deep at LB against Big Ten competition look for a bunch of Opposition stats of 200+ yards against us on the ground... 😖🙈🙁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT