ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Thread

Overall, I liked what I saw. The blocking scheme was more active with some nice trap blocks. Defensively, can already see a more attacking mentality. Both QB’s had good and bad throws, Cherry looked like a freshman but can see the potential with time.

I was just happy not seeing an option to the short side of the field.

Andison Coby wants to play a lot this fall. IU won’t run out of receivers this fall, unlike previous seasons where replacements didn’t scare anyone.

Rourke will do fine … looks like he’ll be trusted to make better decisions than Jackson who looked improved.

Tight ends were catching passes … to bad Barner … isn’t here to share the fun.

Hard to figure the Defense… not nearly as many blitzes and DL attacking gaps as I expect to see next fall … or was the OL just better?

The Db that stands out to be is Amari Farrell. Kid is active and on top of these swing outlet passes. Lot to feel promising there.

Like all three running backs: particularly Black and Ellison.

Trace Jackson Davis and Reace are sitting in the stands to our left.
Is it my imagination or has Race lost a crap boat load of weight? He almost looked anemic.

I liked the little grin by coach C when he said he knew the answer to the rhetorical question of whether the 2 offense was that good or the 2 defense that bad.

But, actually he said he 'thinks' he knows.

Fun stuff.

Loved the ending. Not only a nice thing, but good for team building. Who was that that made the big dive right behind him? That was perfect.

Props to the fans.

Was a bit dead at the beginning. But then when Coby made that first big grab from Tayven that was a big roar over the broadcast.

Mic'ed up!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I had thought if Aiden Fisher is our starting middle LB this fall. We are going to get rolled. Rick-rolled.
But he looked a little better than I expected. My beef is the same one as before, he makes a lot of tackles where first contact is pretty far downfield. But, it's a team game, not one guy. He has types of plays he can make, seems OK.

I alternated all night between 'we look good and we will win', to 'we're short of horses and B1G teams will flatten us'. And back and forth, back and forth... LOL!

I'll trust the coaches. Schemes are looking more fun anyway. Someone mentioned the blocking.

Last edited:
I liked the little grin by coach C when he said he knew the answer to the rhetorical question of whether the 2 offense was that good or the 2 defense that bad.

But, actually he said he 'thinks' he knows.

Fun stuff.

Loved the ending. Not only a nice thing, but good for team building. Who was that that made the big dive right behind him? That was perfect.
Kamara

How did Donovan look and was he playing with the 1s?
I don't know if he played with the 1s much, but the 2s first drive Tayven looked for and found him in the endzone TD on a nice ball thrown a bit above his helmet. Solid throw and grab.
I saw him open a few times even though he didn't turn his rout super sharp, he has a knack. Then got a PI he caused, when grabbed a little by defender when McCulley changed direction to try for what appeared a bit of an errant toss by Rourke.

Price looked good, bummer on the hamstring it appeared he (hopefully slightly) pulled. (And he dropped that sure TD on the same play, maybe related) Edit: NVM! That was Cross who came up gimpy grabbing his hamstring there.

Coby looked very good.

Definitely very good competition at receiver!

Sarratt took awhile to get going, but then he made some plays.

Last edited:
How did Donovan look and was he playing with the 1s?
Looked good. Didn’t get thrown to much. Played for both offenses at least some.

Seemed like Rourke did a ton of check downs and seemed, to me, like he was fixating on #8 (Surratt?). D-Mac was wide open and not thrown to multiple times.

I was happy to see my man, Max Williams with 2s at RG

When you say “before” are you talking about last season at the picnic?

When you say before, are you talking about last season at the picnic?
Wut?

Before today, in the last couple practices.

Coach said before spring started they'd limit contact. But then said in the same interview "it's a contact sport" when saying there would eventually be some this spring.

Surprised it was considered the least injury risk to save tackling until the game.

I'm impressed with the new staff's offense & defense. Very exciting to watch & explosive. And they play fast. Even the players looked happy playing in the new system. Those prospects who were visiting were left with a great impression of Hoosier Football. Sign 'em up!

It was fun, and even exiting.

It would be worth Indiana paying a fairly solid fee to be on a major station, if the B1G didn't want them every year without a fee. Will be an advantage for recruiting. Even though teams could stream it themselves and let all recruits know, still not the same, not as good.

To my mind there was a difference in talent between sun belt (and even MAC) and bigger conference talent. I thought it showed on the field, and that worried me. But, Coach keeps indicating that's not true and those guys are leading the way. So that's good, I won't worry.

Last edited:
Like the new O and D this staff displayed even in the limited look see. In the very short exposure it appears IUFB has 2 QB's with B1G possibilities. Can't harvest anything else or more from last night. D shifts with lots of movement for attacking benefit. Too many quality WR's not to find a crop of achievers. Have the same opinion about DB'S if the injury bug doesn't bite hard. Jamier Johnson has whatever 'it' is and the new and young personnel are game and eager. It appears like they are gonna play with a "ballhawk" mentality when they can. Liked RB'S Black, Ellison(especially)and Green but Ty Son Lawton and his smaller package possesses vision, wiggle, pop and no fear of powering into contact. + RB's along with TE's heavily involved in air assault. Another + they pass protect and downfield block. Not a bit worried about the OL with BB wearing the BOSS hat. Do still have questions on the DL although I don't greatly correlate that to competing with BB's OL last night. Just to thin and soft in the middle of the DL. Need size and experience up there. Finally something in the Spring to watch involving IUFB after 5 years of zilch. The train is on the rails and powering up.

Last edited:
It was fun, and even exiting.

It would be worth Indiana paying a fairly solid fee to be on a major station, if the B1G didn't want them every year without a fee. Will be an advantage for recruiting. Even though teams could stream it themselves and let all recruits know, still not the same, not as good.

To my mind there was a difference in talent between sun belt (and even MAC) and bigger conference talent. I thought it showed on the field, and that worried me. But, Coach keeps indicating that's not true and those guys are leading the way. So that's good, I won't worry.
Generally to me the Sun Belt guys looked like they will be OK. Maybe not stand out like they did there but they can play.

The Hoosiers showed fans there is a reason to be optimistic about this season. There is talent at key positions and players coming back from injury that should help in needed areas. Let's see who the coaching staff brings in from the portal and dream about a very good season this year.

I took my grandson last night and had a good time and enjoyed the first half. Had to get back to Terre Haute as he had school today. I can't really add much about the on the field action that has not been discussed. The thing I did notice though it appears there is more team speed than I remember over the years.

I believe there will be a lot of work put in by guys that want to be in two deep come fall. A lot more competition than in the past and new staff make you find out who wants it the most.

A couple of side notes got caught on the IU twitter video grabbing food, took the stadium tour grandson was impressed. He told a friend that the weight room was amazing and 30 times better than the high school he attends.

Field got pictures with Heps rock and a close-up view of Sydney Parrish in leather shorts. Yes, I am an old man but hey doesn't hurt to admire views at least.

Generally to me the Sun Belt guys looked like they will be OK. Maybe not stand out like they did there but they can play.
I thought Kaleon Black (a Sun Belt guy) looked more than capable of playing Big Ten ball. The Ellison kid from Wake is an upgrade over our previous RBs. I thought the RB stable looked really strong. They hit the hole quickly and don’t dance around and they ran well between the tackles. That group is the least of our worries.

Wasn’t that Cherry

I went and would have these observations--

--Impressed by the hot dogs. Very good. The pep band was good, but why not play once the scrimmage started. I feel like the "production" was subpar in terms of atmosphere inside the seating area and the announcing.

--Overall, both QBs looked good. I guess overall Jackson looked better, but I really liked Rourke's size. He looked bigger than the LBs. And he's got decent quickness as well.

--The TBs looked good. Lots of depth there. Thought the JM guys looked pretty good. Generally smaller and quicker guys than we've had in recent years.

--Coby looked shockingly good at WR. I also liked Myles Price a lot. Horton looked short and thick for a TE, but really active. He reminds me of some of the FBs Wisconsin has had over the years. Cross dropped a couple but they must like him...they threw to him quite a bit. Was somewhat disappointed with Sarratt. Very average speed. I guess his strength is latching onto the ball.

--OL looked very capable.

--Didn't think Carr and Kamara did much at DE, but we ought to be all right there.

--I was impressed by our DBs. Appeared to be good depth there. I like the safeties from Old Dominion.

--My biggest concerns by far are the interior Dl and the LB positions. Those two position right now are problematic. Hope we can get some help through the portal.

I thought Kaleon Black (a Sun Belt guy) looked more than capable of playing Big Ten ball. The Ellison kid from Wake is an upgrade over our previous RBs. I thought the RB stable looked really strong. They hit the hole quickly and don’t dance around and they ran well between the tackles. That group is the least of our worries.
I wasn't as high on Ty Son Lawton and the other backs.
I really liked Kaleon though, he looks legit. Ellison I guess is fine. But the B1G is loaded with great backs, I didn't see that high end with ours, except Black.

Hopefully Cross had an off practice. Probably with Cross I just expected an instant connection with Rourke, didn't see it. But, maybe our number one dee had a good night. Price impressed me a lot more.

I was pumped coming in about Sarratt, but he didn't show speed, and I started thinking maybe it's easier to get open in the Sun Belt. McCulley, Coby, Price looked better.

Aiden Fisher I may be too influenced by seeing one bowl game with a reduced team and against an option offense. But I feel like against him opponents may be "five yards and a cloud of dust" all day. But part of that is the line needs to keep guys from getting to the LBs so easy.

--I was impressed by our DBs. Appeared to be good depth there. I like the safeties from Old Dominion.

I liked the O-line too. Hopefully it's because they're good.

What I liked about the DBs was it seemed like more aggressive body-up on the recievers. Tighter during the rout and willing to be swiping an arm at the ball before it got there, not after. Refreshing! Actual tight coverage? Who'd a thunk it?

Of course that means more phantom PI calls against when we play a traditional big boy who is in the hunt for a great playoff seeding, but so be it. Gotta take the bad with the good.

I went and would have these observations--

--Impressed by the hot dogs. Very good. The pep band was good, but why not play once the scrimmage started. I feel like the "production" was subpar in terms of atmosphere inside the seating area and the announcing.

--Overall, both QBs looked good. I guess overall Jackson looked better, but I really liked Rourke's size. He looked bigger than the LBs. And he's got decent quickness as well.

--The TBs looked good. Lots of depth there. Thought the JM guys looked pretty good. Generally smaller and quicker guys than we've had in recent years.

--Coby looked shockingly good at WR. I also liked Myles Price a lot. Horton looked short and thick for a TE, but really active. He reminds me of some of the FBs Wisconsin has had over the years. Cross dropped a couple but they must like him...they threw to him quite a bit. Was somewhat disappointed with Sarratt. Very average speed. I guess his strength is latching onto the ball.

--Didn't think Carr and Kamara did much at DE, but we ought to be all right there.

--My biggest concerns by far are the interior Dl and the LB positions. Those two position right now are problematic. Hope we can get some help through the portal.
TJ definitely had a better game but I trust the coaches judgment on this. Obviously they know a lot more about it than we do.

I'm gonna be Dougie Downer here. I was more optimistic about next year BEFORE last night than I am today.

Our OL didn't impress me against what will be one of the weaker DLs in the conference.

Our backs are all about the same...none with blazing speed and none that are going to run over anyone.

It looked to me like we'll need to throw the ball 80% of the time to be successful...good news, we do have WR depth and some talent. Rourke was meh at first and then got better. TJ was great at first and then got a little meh.

I was puzzled why we didn't punt even if we weren't going to actually do anything other than fair catch it, but that's no big deal.

I was just pretty meh about the whole thing, other than McCulley's TD, Tayven's first two drives and...I guess Coby.

I'm gonna be Dougie Downer here. I was more optimistic about next year BEFORE last night than I am today.

Our OL didn't impress me against what will be one of the weaker DLs in the conference.

Our backs are all about the same...none with blazing speed and none that are going to run over anyone.

It looked to me like we'll need to throw the ball 80% of the time to be successful...good news, we do have WR depth and some talent. Rourke was meh at first and then got better. TJ was great at first and then got a little meh.

I was puzzled why we didn't punt even if we weren't going to actually do anything other than fair catch it, but that's no big deal.

I was just pretty meh about the whole thing, other than McCulley's TD, Tayven's first two drives and...I guess Coby.
You certainly filled the bill as Debbie downer.
All this from you seeing one practice. To bad fans can't enter the transfer portal.
GoHoosiers

Reactions: indy1203
You certainly filled the bill as Debbie downer.
All this from you seeing one practice. To bad fans can't enter the transfer portal.
GoHoosiers
So just to be clear, seeing one practice and proclaiming rainbows and unicorns (hyperbole ) is OK?

Seeing one practice and not feeling as optimistic as I did before that practice is not OK?

Reactions: TMFT and kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT