ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like the money has been raised.

Chris007 on BtownBanners, the same guy that said Crean was being let go and that Miller was going to be hired, said this morning that he’s known since Friday evening that IU has secured the money to pay out Archie’s contract. “If” they want to move on.

I’d have to assume they will.
This is fake news.

I can't see Beard leaving Texas right now. ARt least not without a big pay increase.
Agreed. There probably needs to be a nice $ incentive to leave. However, I have to believe he would really do some amazing things with IU level talent. Look at his roster and tell me that it would be even close to a 15-20th ranked team with any other coach.

This is unfortunate and very true. I can’t speak to IU but I can to many other D1 schools and can tell you that many of these programs that get whacked have six figure budgets. The optics are indeed ugly when juxtaposed with an 8 figure buyout. Is what it is but damn
And I think most casual and diehard fans alike don’t really give a shit, or even know about it to begin with. They do, however, give a shit about the optics of IU basketball sucking ass every year.

The biggest concern I have is around the "politics" or the "fairness" or the "optics" of paying big bucks to make Miller go away while at the same time discontinuing several minor sports -- assuming those rumors are true. Granted, it would be outside money, but you'll hear people questioning why that same outside money couldn't be used to save the minor sports instead of giving Miller a huge golden parachute. For those of us who still cling to the ideal (fantasy?) of amateur collegiate sports, it's a tough question to answer.

They will certainly have to weigh that against.....

• Never a winning record in the conference.
  • 0-7 against Purdue
  • 1-6 against OSU
  • 2-5 against Rutgers
  • 0-5 against Michigan
  • 1-4 against Wisconsin
  • No NCAA tourney appearances (I don’t care what they say about last year)
  • A huge negative conversation piece amongst everyone in the state.
  • Losing recruiting battles left and right.
  • No promise for the future
    I don’t think even Miller himself could make a valid argument to stay. $3.3 million - the question is: is the guy willing to endure one more season of utter turmoil and gloom for that amount of money? Most would probably say “yes” but it’s turning into a basketball version of the popular t.v. program “Fear Factor.” What are you willing to endure for this amount of money?

If they don’t, then they aren’t serious about winning.
The only person in my mind who will stop it will be McRobbie. Dolson won’t move unless he gets his opinion and blessing. We know how McRob feels about athletics.

They will certainly have to weigh that against.....

• Never a winning record in the conference.
  • 0-7 against Purdue
  • 1-6 against OSU
  • 2-5 against Rutgers
  • 0-5 against Michigan
  • 1-4 against Wisconsin
  • No NCAA tourney appearances (I don’t care what they say about last year)
  • A huge negative conversation piece amongst everyone in the state.
  • Losing recruiting battles left and right.
  • No promise for the future
    I don’t think even Miller himself could make a valid argument to stay. $3.3 million - the question is: is the guy willing to endure one more season of utter turmoil and gloom for that amount of money? Most would probably say “yes” but it’s turning into a basketball version of the popular t.v. program “Fear Factor.” What are you willing to endure for this amount of money?
If he's not fired he's back for certain. First, he'd have to pay a buyout for leaving so he's not just giving up his salary, he's paying IU too. Second, no one is walking away from that kind of money. Third, I would imagine that he wants to prove people wrong and is confident that he can come back and have a good season. He might not do it, of course, but any person with some pride and confidence would want to do that.

What's the buyout for their current contracts IU would be on the hook for for coaches like Mack, (currently employed and under contract with another school), to leave and join IU?

If he's not fired he's back for certain. First, he'd have to pay a buyout for leaving so he's not just giving up his salary, he's paying IU too. Second, no one is walking away from that kind of money. Third, I would imagine that he wants to prove people wrong and is confident that he can come back and have a good season. He might not do it, of course, but any person with some pride and confidence would want to do that.
I agree with you.

Coaches tend to have inflated egos and so there is always a bit of that going on. I really don’t think the money will be an issue. It’s not all up to Dolson either. If the BOT want it done, Dolson will have to do it.

The biggest concern I have is around the "politics" or the "fairness" or the "optics" of paying big bucks to make Miller go away while at the same time discontinuing several minor sports -- assuming those rumors are true. Granted, it would be outside money, but you'll hear people questioning why that same outside money couldn't be used to save the minor sports instead of giving Miller a huge golden parachute. For those of us who still cling to the ideal (fantasy?) of amateur collegiate sports, it's a tough question to answer.

It's pretty simple, the donors buying him out wouldn't pay the extra money if that isn't what it was earmarked for. That leaves the school with two choices: 1) accept the money and buy out Archie or 2) say no thanks to the money.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
What's the buyout for their current contracts IU would be on the hook for for coaches like Mack, currently employed, to leave and join IU?

Its around 6 million originally, but decreases half a mill each year past the first couple years. So, probably 5 million at this point. He also makes around 4 million a year.

I personally don't believe he'd be worth all that money. Yeah, he's been better than AM at UofL, but its not like he is setting the world on fire. Also sounds like UofL fans are already getting fairly antsy about him.

Reactions: IUgradman
And I think most casual and diehard fans alike don’t really give a shit, or even know about it to begin with. They do, however, give a shit about the optics of IU basketball sucking ass every year.
A lot of us care about "minor" sports.... They cost next to nothing (compared to FB/BB) and actually have real amateur athletes (you know, like college is supposed to be)... Cutting these sports due to finances is a total fallacy. COVID once again being used as an excuse for universities to do what they want to do under false pretenses.

I agree with you.

Coaches tend to have inflated egos and so there is always a bit of that going on. I really don’t think the money will be an issue. It’s not all up to Dolson either. If the BOT want it done, Dolson will have to do it.
From what I hear from people that know Dolson, he's as fired up about bringing IU basketball back up to IU standards as anyone is. If he has decided to that Miller needs to go and can swing it financially, he'll fight to make that happen.

Its around 6 million originally, but decreases half a mill each year past the first couple years. So, probably 5 million at this point. He also makes around 4 million a year.

I personally don't believe he'd be worth all that money. Yeah, he's been better than AM at UofL, but its not like he is setting the world on fire. Also sounds like UofL fans are already getting fairly antsy about him.

Who is really setting the world on fire out there though that would be interested in leaving the place they are setting the world on fire in? I don't think there are any "no brainer" hires that would come without hesitation. Maybe if salary is top 3 type salary?

Who is really setting the world on fire out there though that would be interested in leaving the place they are setting the world on fire in? I don't think there are any "no brainer" hires that would come without hesitation. Maybe if salary is top 3 type salary?

Yeah, can't argue that. If it's Mack vs an unproven mid-major coach, then sure. He's solid, has P5 experience, recruits well. Would he make us elite? I'm not so sure, but then we're so far from that today its laughable.

Yeah, can't argue that. If it's Mack vs an unproven mid-major coach, then sure. He's solid, has P5 experience, recruits well. Would he make us elite? I'm not so sure, but then we're so far from that today its laughable.
Anymore, being “elite” isn’t even the consideration. It’s about just being respectable, for starters.
This isn’t like Auburn football firing their coach who was 8-5 and still making post-season. This is about getting out of nearly last place in the conference and no postseason.
We are talking just a hair above rock bottom. Makes the decision much easier.

false choice.

Isn't he a packline guy? Please no more of that. Modern basketball makes it a worse and worse scheme with each passing year.

From what I hear from people that know Dolson, he's as fired up about bringing IU basketball back up to IU standards as anyone is. If he has decided to that Miller needs to go and can swing it financially, he'll fight to make that happen.
People would've said the same thing about Glass when he was a relatively new AD at IU. Words don't matter. Actions do.

I'll believe that Dolson really cares about men's basketball when he makes makes a change.

I can't possibly believe that any of those three would be interested for less than a Brink's truck. More likely Alford, Fife, Matta. I'm not sure they would even be looking to make a home run hire, roster and recruiting is so bad and probably getting worse that Red Auerbach couldn't come in and fix it next year. It will be another year of pain and probably a lot of transfers, but it will be worth it if I never have to watch this stupid D again. I hope they can keep Lander, I do still believe he has great potential with a good coach

this board wouldn't know a home run hire if he was standing right in front of it.

being this is the 4th time we've had this debate, the board's wisdom on who should or shouldn't be hired is totally non existent.

this board wants the same hiring algorithm used as was used the last tree times, and is sure the second, third, fourth, time is the charm, and whatever we do, don't approach this with corrected thinking despite being horribly wrong every time to date..

their thinking is, just keep doing the same thing over and over and over, and eventually, no matter how long it takes, some day they'll be right.

Chris007 on BtownBanners, the same guy that said Crean was being let go and that Miller was going to be hired, said this morning that he’s known since Friday evening that IU has secured the money to pay out Archie’s contract. “If” they want to move on.

I am less concerned with the timing of the firing than I am the replacement. If this is true, and if there is such a thing, we need to have a can’t miss hire pre-determined and the hiring of the new coach is just a formality. No search needed. Perhaps that’s a pipe dream and the firing of Archie must obviously happen first, but the new hire is far bigger dicision than firing the existing. Whether it’s this season or after next (assuming Archie is toast), we can’t miss again.

Last edited:
Reactions: outlawyer

I agree with this. IU just needs to upgrade. People are worried too much about the “Home Run”.

None of us will be satisfied with a mediocre hire. We'd be moaning and groaning in 2 yrs about the coach. No need to lower your standards since that's what got us into this mess. I don't believe in home run hires but I do believe with the right understanding of what makes a great coach, one can be found this year to replace the current coach. I am excited just thinking about the possibilities......I am actually optimistic about IU basketball again and we haven't done anything yet!!! I am gonna assume we fire Miller this year and if that doesn't happen I'll be crushed. But for now I am happy!

I am less concerned with the timing of the hire than I am the replacement. If this is true, and if there is such a thing, we need to have a can’t miss hire pre-determined and the hiring of the new coach is just a formality. No search needed. Perhaps that’s a pipe dream and the firing of Archie must obviously happen first, but the new hire is far bigger dicision than firing the existing. Whether it’s this season or after next (assuming Archie is toast), we can’t miss again.
I understand your point.
I would like to see leadership that imo would be shown by a quick fire. Again imo that would say we will not tolerate this level of player effort, this level of player improvement, this level of winning.
I also agree with you that the next hire is big but there is no sure fire guy. Whomever picked Archie should not be allowed to pick again.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Whatever happens next year's coach had better figure out how to get people to relax and just shoot. If Archie could have done that we'd be liking him a whole lot more. I'll bet his offense is a lot better with guards who can hit a 3.

Reactions: Indymoon

I already posted it but it was Friday that I heard that the money was there. That guy was also confident Dolson would pull the trigger.

I understand your point.
I would like to see leadership that imo would be shown by a quick fire. Again imo that would say we will not tolerate this level of player effort, this level of player improvement, this level of winning.
I also agree with you that the next hire is big but there is no sure fire guy. Whomever picked Archie should not be allowed to pick again.
I think the only sure fire guy is a Brad Stevens or similar and it’s debated who qualifies as “similar”. I also believe that Brad Steven’s and “similar” is a pipe dream. That said and I agree, beyond BS / similar, there are no sure hires. Excellent statement on “whoever picked Archie should not be allowed to pick again”. That person, at least on the surface, is/was Fred Glass and he’s gone. For me, I couldn’t care less about IU ties, RMK tree, blah blah blah. I just want a damn winner who brings a great team night in and out and has us competing for league titles consistently and has enough talent and coaching ability to be a threat in March to go deep.

None of us will be satisfied with a mediocre hire. We'd be moaning and groaning in 2 yrs about the coach. No need to lower your standards since that's what got us into this mess. I don't believe in home run hires but I do believe with the right understanding of what makes a great coach, one can be found this year to replace the current coach. I am excited just thinking about the possibilities......I am actually optimistic about IU basketball again and we haven't done anything yet!!! I am gonna assume we fire Miller this year and if that doesn't happen I'll be crushed. But for now I am happy!
Archie was considered a very good hire. Hindsight is 20/20. I don’t fault Glass for hiring Archie and nearly everyone in the college basketball world agreed.

Would you take Drew over Beard? I would take Beard and it isn't even close. I think the only way he would make the move would be because Bob and Pat Knight and that connection. I guess they play in a couple hours. It will be fun to compare.

beard is the best coach in the country and it isn’t close

this board wouldn't know a home run hire if he was standing right in front of it.

being this is the 4th time we've had this debate, the board's wisdom on who should or shouldn't be hired is totally non existent.

this board wants the same hiring algorithm used as was used the last tree times, and is sure the second, third, fourth, time is the charm, and whatever we do, don't approach this with corrected thinking despite being horribly wrong every time to date..

their thinking is, just keep doing the same thing over and over and over, and eventually, no matter how long it takes, some day they'll be right.
So you’re saying they should hire someone who’s been a failure multiple times before & isn’t seen as a high potential candidate like Randy Wittman or Steve Alford. Gotcha. That strategy is bound to work...🙄

A lot of us care about "minor" sports.... They cost next to nothing (compared to FB/BB) and actually have real amateur athletes (you know, like college is supposed to be)... Cutting these sports due to finances is a total fallacy. COVID once again being used as an excuse for universities to do what they want to do under false pretenses.
I have no doubt there are “a lot” of people who like the “minor” sports. I’m saying percentage wise it probably isn’t significant. For example, if one million Americans like to dip their fries in mayonnaise instead of ketchup, that’s “a lot” of people. But while a million people is “a lot” of people, it’s not even 1% of the population.

As of a few weeks ago, Dolson was standing pat. A friend of the fam spoke to him. Granted, things have (somehow) gotten worse,...

I hope you're right and he changes his mind.

I think the only sure fire guy is a Brad Stevens or similar and it’s debated who qualifies as “similar”. I also believe that Brad Steven’s and “similar” is a pipe dream. That said and I agree, beyond BS / similar, there are no sure hires. Excellent statement on “whoever picked Archie should not be allowed to pick again”. That person, at least on the surface, is/was Fred Glass and he’s gone. For me, I couldn’t care less about IU ties, RMK tree, blah blah blah. I just want a damn winner who brings a great team night in and out and has us competing for league titles consistently and has enough talent and coaching ability to be a threat in March to go deep.

If Matta is healthy and hungry...he’s sure fire. I’d only put Stevens and Donovan above him. Again, if he’s healthy and wants to make a good run of it again.

Of all the other long shot, really good candidates, like Beard or Drew...Matta is the only one that always won immediately at all his stops. Beard didn’t. Drew didn’t.

I’d be happy with Beard. Not nearly as much with Drew. But neither would be as good a hire as Matta.

Well....Matta won the Gene Hackman Look-a-Like Contest for about 5 years in a row...and Hackman played the coach in Hoosiers.....so....there's that connection.

• Haha
Reactions: aajohn2000
As of a few weeks ago, Dolson was standing pat. A friend of the fam spoke to him. Granted, things have (somehow) gotten worse,...

I hope you're right and he changes his mind.

Dolson will find the money if he wants to make a change. Remember he ran the Varsity Club for 20? Years before getting the AD job, so he has relationships with many of the big donors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT