ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like it's Archie

Either we used to be one of the top 5 programs or we weren’t. If we were once elite than ANY amount of complaining is warranted. I mean, think about it. If UNC, Duke, Kansas or Kentucky had 20 years that mirrored ours what would their fans be saying? They would absolutely be up in arms. Of course they would consider that their program had become a dumpster fire.
To see this difference between IU and one of the mentioned programs, just head to Rupp Rafters, the free Kentucky basketball forum here on Rivals.

This season’s 6-13 record may have lit the fuse over there, but there’s a lot of debate about the past five years under “Calipari,” and whether they’re sliding, and if so, how badly. What’s considered a (possible) slide by many of those fans would a consistent run of high level success at IU given our past 20-25 years. Most here (I think) would be incredibly happy with those results.

And no, I can’t stand JC and what he does to the concepts of “college” basketball and the “student-athlete.”

Reactions: .Gerdis
And just think: IU could have had Brad Stevens instead of Sampson years back. Put aside Archie for a second and consider that IU hired a f'ing cheater instead of a potential HOF coach. THAT'S when this all really started going to hell, not four years ago when Archie came to Bloomington.

I have seen nothing factual that would guarantee that BS would have come to IU if offered. Without evidence it is pure speculation.

Also, given what I have read about BS not liking recruiting, there would be a strong possibility IMO that he would have still taken the Celtics job. IU would have been back to square one.

Lol do you have any guess as to what Crean would have done at Dayton?

Miller is a gigantic trade up from Crean, gigantic.

Plus he's what, 38? He's considered one of the best young coaches currently in the game.

After rebuilding Dayton in two years he's never missed the tourney and has finished at the top of his world.

Crean was a roller coaster at Marquette also.

Miller is a huge upgrade with a very high cieling.

Elite coaches that you can actually hire are few and far between. Who did you really think we were going to get...Bill Self?
Brilliant, Tommy. Just brilliant.

I have seen nothing factual that would guarantee that BS would have come to IU if offered. Without evidence it is pure speculation.

Also, given what I have read about BS not liking recruiting, there would be a strong possibility IMO that he would have still taken the Celtics job. IU would have been back to square one.

I suggested that IU hire Brad Stevens at that time, but almost everybody on this site said he was too young. I loved the way his players would hustle for him. They would run through a brick wall for him. That is the kind of coach we need now.

Reactions: Al Bino
I suggested that IU hire Brad Stevens at that time, but almost everybody on this site said he was too young. I loved the way his players would hustle for him. They would run through a brick wall for him. That is the kind of coach we need now.

When Sampson was hired, Brad was 29 years old and only experience was as a second or third assistant on Butler’s bench. IU was not going to go there.

So many of us can say, “we told you so!” when he puts a mediocre product on the floor?
That's the issue - you're afraid he'll be a success and you won't be able to say 'I told you so'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT