ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting comments by guest on the JMV show

Interesting comments from Rabjohns about McRobbie. If what he says about him is true, that he doesn't give a rat's rip about sports, then he may be tying FGs hands on all sports. Very sad.

Wow -- a university president who cares more about academics than athletics. Sounds good to me.
Complete bullshit...Mcrobbie must be an idiot. My kids are at that age and have friends that have been turned down at IU and got in to Purdue...Also the $$$ to go to IU? Mcrobbie must bleed stupid on all angles. Love to meet this douchebag!

Reactions: IUgradman
Complete bullshit...Mcrobbie must be an idiot. My kids are at that age and have friends that have been turned down at IU and got in to Purdue...Also the $$$ to go to IU? Mcrobbie must bleed stupid on all angles. Love to meet this douchebag!
Sighhh...did you attend IU? Do you understand the role of the President? Do you understand the nature of the relationship between sports and the university?

IF so, why do you say what you say? If not, find out...

Wow -- a university president who cares more about academics than athletics. Sounds good to me.
Sure that would be fine, but that's not what he said: he said he cares ONLY about academics, well, not true, he said he doesn't care at all about sports, so I assume academics is what he cares about. I would think most university presidents care more about academics than sports, but they still have SOME concern for sports, because I would think they all care about $--& as Rabjohns said, football & men's basketball are where you make your $. So if McRobbie doesn't care about that, why the F is he here? Bizarre, but explains a lot though. Like the last umpteen years of miserable IU sports($ sports).

Interesting comments from Rabjohns about McRobbie. If what he says about him is true, that he doesn't give a rat's rip about sports, then he may be tying FGs hands on all sports. Very sad.

"if"

my question is how does Rabjohns "know" this?
has he been told this? if yes, by whom?
has he talked with McRobbie?
or is this just guys talking at Nicks?

unsourced conclusions don't really convince me of much

Reactions: iulb and kmathum

Like all BIG universities, IU is a stellar institution of research, innovation and education. They also have a toy dept called sports. I love and have benefitted greatly from both, but at its core...what IU does most for her grads, her state and her world is investigate, develop, nurture and teach others to do the same.

IU is a tremendous value. TREMENDOUS. I don't make light of families that struggle with the growing costs, but pound for pound IU (and all BIG universities) is extremely cost effective.

The athletics are a bonus.

My sense of it is that it's true he doesn't care much one way or the other about college sports; that is, he's neither a big fan or openly hostile to the idea. Indifferent. I've never seen anything that leads me to think he stood in Fred's way when it came to raising $. I wonder if he ever makes calls to athletic donors specifically for projects like MS/AH? I don't know, but I doubt it.......

Reactions: turney333
Like all BIG universities, IU is a stellar institution of research, innovation and education. They also have a toy dept called sports. I love and have benefitted greatly from both, but at its core...what IU does most for her grads, her state and her world is investigate, develop, nurture and teach others to do the same.

IU is a tremendous value. TREMENDOUS. I don't make light of families that struggle with the growing costs, but pound for pound IU (and all BIG universities) is extremely cost effective.

The athletics are a bonus.

There would be more money to do more of all the things you mentioned with strong programs in the two top men's sports.

Sighhh...did you attend IU? Do you understand the role of the President? Do you understand the nature of the relationship between sports and the university?

My daughter is a junior at IU and she is getting a great education and that is the Presidents main responsibility and not how the sports teams are doing.

There would be more money to do more of all the things you mentioned with strong programs in the two top men's sports.

I have yet to see material financial inputs from the AD to the general fund. There are some blue money donations made but they are rare and not likely with a small stadium such as the Rock. IUs basketball program is among the most valuable and profitable in th NCAA.

What a stronger FB program would do is help the overall AD budget.

My sense of it is that it's true he doesn't care much one way or the other about college sports; that is, he's neither a big fan or openly hostile to the idea. Indifferent. I've never seen anything that leads me to think he stood in Fred's way when it came to raising $. I wonder if he ever makes calls to athletic donors specifically for projects like MS/AH? I don't know, but I doubt it.......

McRobbie wants the AD to be financially self reliant, graduating SAs and staying out of trouble off-field. That is appropriate for an academic CEO. You never want a Graham Spanier situation putting athletics ahead of the university mission or healthand safety.

McRobbie has however, been a big supporter of the groundbreaking Excellence Academy which spans the gap between atletics and academic development.

"if"

my question is how does Rabjohns "know" this?
has he been told this? if yes, by whom?
has he talked with McRobbie?
or is this just guys talking at Nicks?

unsourced conclusions don't really convince me of much

Typically if Rabjohns has information he's taken it directly from a competing site or twitter.

Last edited:

Gawd..... join the academics message board.

Sure that would be fine, but that's not what he said: he said he cares ONLY about academics, well, not true, he said he doesn't care at all about sports, so I assume academics is what he cares about. I would think most university presidents care more about academics than sports, but they still have SOME concern for sports, because I would think they all care about $--& as Rabjohns said, football & men's basketball are where you make your $. So if McRobbie doesn't care about that, why the F is he here? Bizarre, but explains a lot though. Like the last umpteen years of miserable IU sports($ sports).

When was the last President with real ties to the State? That’s why I say there are Hoosiers and then there are Indiana University Hoosiers. Thr State of Indiana is far far far down the list of concerns for McRobbie.... we are fly over country

My daughter is a junior at IU and she is getting a great education and that is the Presidents main responsibility and not how the sports teams are doing.
No but it’s the fans fault he doesn’t care right?

I have yet to see material financial inputs from the AD to the general fund. There are some blue money donations made but they are rare and not likely with a small stadium such as the Rock. IUs basketball program is among the most valuable and profitable in th NCAA.

Have you ever watched Schooled on Netflix? The University pulls money big time from athletics in the name of other things. Athletics paying “fees” for athletes to use the library etc.... money gets pulled all the time

Have you ever watched Schooled on Netflix? The University pulls money big time from athletics in the name of other things. Athletics paying “fees” for athletes to use the library etc.... money gets pulled all the time

I haven't, but am aware of scholarships paying full ride into the university. But that is not what we are talking about.

Grow up or go away...
You are a little out there in your comments. Why you find it odd on a sports board someone wanting more involvement from the President of a University is puzzling. I just think you like to argue...can I get an amen from the congregation?

I haven't, but am aware of scholarships paying full ride into the university. But that is not what we are talking about.
You should check it out....it unfolds exactly how Universities pay themselves from athletics which explains the financial commitment that they make. Quite eye opening....

Ok, if IU wants to de-emphasize athletics and focus on academics, then a philosophical debate can occur on that matter, but at least be honest with the fans then about what the expectations should be. Don’t blow smoke up our butts and lie to us by claiming you want to win Big Ten and national championships.

Reactions: snarlcakes

IU grabs a large share of BTN money that comes in every year.

That's money that would normally stay in the AD, so the AD does contribute to the general fund at IU.

IU grabs a large share of BTN money that comes in every year.

That's money that would normally stay in the AD, so the AD does contribute to the general fund at IU.

I have seen that stated here before. Do you have a link? I would like to read about it because I had no idea that all the BTN money didn't stay in the AD.

I have seen that stated here before. Do you have a link? I would like to read about it because I had no idea that all the BTN money didn't stay in the AD.
"The $53 million building was funded entirely through university sources with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university."

Took me a while to find it. I didn't believe it either, but someone posted this.

https://broadcast.iu.edu/events/sgis-building-dedication.html

Reactions: Al Bino
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT