Kane Wommack
Bryan Hartline
Justin Frye
Willie Fritz (HC at Tulane)
Tyson Helton
Chris Creighton
Sean Lewis (OC at Colorado)
Alex Atkins (OC at FSU)

The article also listed some of the strengths and weaknesses of the program. They think our facilities are a major plus.

Jason Candle
Jerry Kill
Kane Wommack
Bryan Hartline
Justin Frye
Tyson Helton
Chris Creighton
Alex Atkins (OC at FSU)

The article also listed some of the strengths and weaknesses of the program. They think our facilities are a major plus.
As much as I like Kane I think he would be too much of a gamble

Jason Candle
Jerry Kill
Kane Wommack
Bryan Hartline
Justin Frye
Tyson Helton
Chris Creighton
Alex Atkins (OC at FSU)

I'd cross off all the assistants. I'm only interested in proven head coaches

I'd cross off all the assistants. I'm only interested in proven head coaches
Agree EXCEPT in the case of “assistant” Sean Lewis, who has 5 years of head-coaching experience and may actually be my #1 choice right now.

IIRC he was coached at Wisky by Chryst and Bostad.

Jason Candle
Jerry Kill
Kane Wommack
Bryan Hartline
Justin Frye
Tyson Helton
Chris Creighton
Alex Atkins (OC at FSU)

Of this group...unless it is Kane Wommack I will skip watching next year. Have to do better than this list.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Agree EXCEPT in the case of “assistant” Sean Lewis, who has 5 years of head-coaching experience and may actually be my #1 choice right now.

IIRC he was coached at Wisky by Chryst and Bostad.
Lewis is a dude. I’m convinced he’s going to be a successful P5 head coach some day.

I’ve spent some time around him. Very type A. A winner.

Not surprised Deion liked him.

Jason Candle
Jerry Kill
Kane Wommack
Bryan Hartline
Justin Frye
Tyson Helton
Chris Creighton
Alex Atkins (OC at FSU)

Terrible list. I pray to God that the author of the article was just the typical loser that gets into sports reporting

Reactions: midwolfe
I don’t agree with that at all.

You hire the best candidate. Crossing off people because of this could mean crossing off the best one.
Need someone with success as a head coach. You don't know what you are getting with a coordinator. How well will they build a staff? They don't have a track record to know their offense/defense preferences.

The only coordinators I would even lightly consider are those at the highest ranked programs that know hoe to win and have lworked with the most successful head coaches.

I wouldn't consider anyone until I've talked to Urban Meyer. Assuming he says no, I would then ask who he likes as a candidate. Doesn't hurt to ask.

They should. He sucks. Great running backs but he insists on being fancy.
He seems to me like a much more competent and successful version of Archie Miller, at least in terms of his personality. Had a great run at Oregon with Nike money, but not the warmest guy out there.

He seems to me like a much more competent and successful version of Archie Miller, at least in terms of his personality. Had a great run at Oregon with Nike money, but not the warmest guy out there.
He'll be great in the sunbelt conference

Go see what his NFL players say about him. They absolutely dog him.

Interesting list. Unlike when Allen was hired, no one listed has an office just down the hall from the fired head coach.
Yeah that's one strike against them. How can Scott possibly be expected to hire a competent coach if he has to leave the building?

Need someone with success as a head coach. You don't know what you are getting with a coordinator. How well will they build a staff? They don't have a track record to know their offense/defense preferences.

The only coordinators I would even lightly consider are those at the highest ranked programs that know hoe to win and have lworked with the most successful head coaches.

I wouldn't consider anyone until I've talked to Urban Meyer. Assuming he says no, I would then ask who he likes as a candidate. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Fresno State hired our OC. It was a good hire for them.

I agree ‘why’? In football your assistants do the majority of coaching and recruiting. We saw that a few years ago with CTA. As long as he hires good assistants and especially good OC & DC he’s in good shape. His work is done on game day not so much as during the week.

Reactions: ulrey
I don't really know many of the names on that list. Do any of them have significant NFL experience? It seems to me that's the way to go. I assume recruits still want to play in the NFL and not just collect NIL money for a couple of years.

This might be a new Athletic Article but mentioned

Michigan OC Sherrone Moore h
Washington offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb
Ohio State offensive line coach/associate head coach Justin Frye
Alabama OC Tommy Rees
Notre Dame running backs coach/run game coordinator Deland McCullough
Troy’s Jon Sumrall
Former IU DC Kane Wommack
Marshall’s Charles Huf
Eastern Michigan’s Chris Creighton
Washington State’s Jake Dickert
And Jon Gruden

Reactions: midwolfe
I don’t agree with that at all.

You hire the best candidate. Crossing off people because of this could mean crossing off the best one.
Just because someone can coach doesn’t mean they can manage. Proven coaches only!

This might be a new Athletic Article but mentioned

Michigan OC Sherrone Moore h
Washington offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb
Ohio State offensive line coach/associate head coach Justin Frye
Alabama OC Tommy Rees
Notre Dame running backs coach/run game coordinator Deland McCullough
Troy’s Jon Sumrall
Former IU DC Kane Wommack
Marshall’s Charles Huf
Eastern Michigan’s Chris Creighton
Washington State’s Jake Dickert
And Jon Gruden
Let’s watch flight tracker

No more McColloughs.
His unit was a trainwreck when he was here. He bailed. His kids bailed.
He shouldn’t be allowed to set foot on campus. And, I don’t think the guy is all too bright. No thanks.
I would agree with this but it is based on appearance rather than knowing the guy

Just because someone can coach doesn’t mean they can manage. Proven coaches only!
OK, we should hire a proven head coach (like Gerry DiNardo), not a guy who’s only been a coordinator (like Kevin Wilson…or, heck, Kirby Smart).

This is ridiculous thinking. You don’t limit your field of candidates for some arbitrary qualification. I guarantee there are some phenomenal guys in coordinator spots who would make successful HCs.

Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT