ADVERTISEMENT

The New Offensive Coordinator thread

The genius behind Ole Miss's offense is actually Jeff Lebby, Art Briles son in law. He's not going anywhere but he might be the best offensive coordinator in the country.
actually, matt corral makes both these guys look good. ain't it amazing.

Reactions: jb17 and td75
Keeps you safe? Did it keep Colin Powell safe?

According to the government’s VAERS website, there have been just under 17,000 deaths as a result of the Covid vaccine through 10/8.
From the John’s Hopkins report, “On October 15, the CDC began reporting hospitalization, infection, and death rates by vaccination status. For all adults aged 18 years and older, the cumulative COVID-19-associated hospitalization rate was about 12 times higher in unvaccinated persons between April 2021 and the end of August. In August, unvaccinated individuals were about 6 times more likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2 and 11 times more likely to die of COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated.”

The genius behind Ole Miss's offense is actually Jeff Lebby, Art Briles son in law. He's not going anywhere but he might be the best offensive coordinator in the country.

He (Lebby) is my first choice after Grubb but, as you said, it's unlikely he's going anywhere..

Reactions: vesuvius13
Keeps you safe? Did it keep Colin Powell safe?

According to the government’s VAERS website, there have been just under 17,000 deaths as a result of the Covid vaccine through 10/8.
This is nonsense. I don't know if your "VAERS" site is even real but there are some deaths Despite the vaccines; if there are any deaths As A Result Of them they can probably be counted on one hand.

A sinking ship? You can certainly describe the offense as that, but the defense is outstanding and Indiana is recruiting as well as it ever has. If he were hired for the OC job he would be able to remake the weakness of the team while having an outstanding defense and great culture to back him up. I am not saying IU OC is a great job, but for a proven OC and IU grad, it would definitely be intriguing.
His idea of successful - 12-21 past 3 yrs, 5-2 the year. Meanwhile the "sinking ship" under TA has been 26-26 the past 4 years. 16-11 the last 3 years, incl this year

He (Lebby) is my first choice after Grubb but, as you said, it's unlikely he's going anywhere..
Lebby's body of work at Baylor, UCF and now Ole is impressive. He's coached under three of the best offensive minds in the game, and improved the offenses everywhere he's gone. That Art Briles coaching tree has a lot of quality on it. Lebby, Phillip Montgomery, Kendall Briles, Dino Babers and half a dozen others. They all seem to have offenses that can both run and pass with high efficiency.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Tom Brew, SI, appears to have a different opinion.

“You naysayers who think Sheridan should be fired today are way off-base. That's not going to happen, and it's especially not going to happen in the middle of the season. And let me ask you this: When you scream about a horrible play call, do you really even know what you're talking about most of the time?”

His comments about a collective failure, and not just play calling or “scheme” in general seem fine. They may beg the question, however, on what to do about it.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ts-indiana-offense-terrible-everyone-to-blame

Last edited:

“You naysayers who think Sheridan should be fired today are way off-base. That's not going to happen, and it's especially not going to happen in the middle of the season. And let me ask you this: When you scream about a horrible play call, do you really even know what you're talking about most of the time?”

His comments about a collective failure, and not just play calling or “scheme” in general seem fine. They may beg the question, however, on what to do about it.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ts-indiana-offense-terrible-everyone-to-blame
Dude is a knob.

Reactions: sparkeyreturns

Yeah, sure.

He pointed out the six plays end of first drive and first 3 of second drive that I thought were mind boggling, taking Tuttle out of his rhythm when he had a good first drive. Of course, Tuttle could have thrown and INT on the first pass inside the 10 and on the first play of the second drive, but why take away his rhythm and confidence by taking him out on the first and to start the second drive?

"Here's a perfect example of that. On Indiana's first possession, the Hoosiers went flying right down the field, with Tuttle throwing eight straight passes on the drive and leading the Hoosiers to the 6-yard line. They were humming, but then what did they do? They ran the ball on first-and-goal from the 6 and gained three yards with Davion Ervin-Poindexter, but then went into a wildcat formation with Carr behind center, and everyone in Memorial Stadium knew what was going to happen. The play went nowhere, and when Tuttle was sacked on third down when Indiana's offensive line couldn't block their blitz, the drive ended with a field goal.
Why the wildcat when you know your offensive line has struggled to win short-yardage situations all year? Sure, it didn't get executed by the players, but that's a play-call and package decision that failed badly.

I scratched my head on the second possession as well. It's Tuttle's first start, and you want him to be comfortable. What does Indiana do? They bring true freshman McCulley in at quarterback, and he throws a ball out in the flat to Carr, but it was behind him by several feet and the play went nowhere. Tuttle came back in on third-and-long — and misreads the coverage and throws a pick-six.

Why even mess with that? Why force a third-and-long? Look, McCulley is going to be a great quarterback when he times comes, but that's not right now, not on the second drive of a game that you absolutely had to win. That's a bad coaching decision in my book, too."

Help me with something.

hot take 1: An OC won’t solve everything. A QB who sees the field and doesn’t completely fail to see open receivers is important too (as has happened multiple times each game). Is it QB talent, lack of reps due to injury or being on the bench, or a shaky OL that gives no time for progressions?

Hot take 2: Why is the first read always covered? Maybe it IS on the OC because there is no identity to the offense and they guys getting open are just dumb luck on that given play and it’s not actually the play or the scheme?

Chicken or egg? OC or QB? Both?

Help me with something.

hot take 1: An OC won’t solve everything. A QB who sees the field and doesn’t completely fail to see open receivers is important too (as has happened multiple times each game). Is it QB talent, lack of reps due to injury or being on the bench, or a shaky OL that gives no time for progressions?

Hot take 2: Why is the first read always covered? Maybe it IS on the OC because there is no identity to the offense and they guys getting open are just dumb luck on that given play and it’s not actually the play or the scheme?

all of the above, I'd say.

The coaches & players all share in the blame at some point.

At the end of the day, everyone should have seen this coming. The ground game/run blocking was poor last year. Hendershot had quite a few drops (glad he's bounced back). And the pass offense was built on deep routes. Low probability/high reward plays panned out last year. This year they haven't gone to that well nearly as much and it hasn't panned out when they have. It's like me at the roulette table. I hit a couple numbers early, start feeling good about myself, and walk out the door busted as expected.

all of the above, I'd say.

The coaches & players all share in the blame at some point.

At the end of the day, everyone should have seen this coming. The ground game/run blocking was poor last year. Hendershot had quite a few drops (glad he's bounced back). And the pass offense was built on deep routes. Low probability/high reward plays panned out last year. This year they haven't gone to that well nearly as much and it hasn't panned out when they have. It's like me at the roulette table. I hit a couple numbers early, start feeling good about myself, and walk out the door busted as expected.

and meanwhile someone is on a run at the craps table you had thought about joining (Aka running wide open for an easy TD).

I think we’ve landed on “our offense is a total gamble and we’re on a cold streak” which does not give me warm fuzzies

He pointed out the six plays end of first drive and first 3 of second drive that I thought were mind boggling, taking Tuttle out of his rhythm when he had a good first drive. Of course, Tuttle could have thrown and INT on the first pass inside the 10 and on the first play of the second drive, but why take away his rhythm and confidence by taking him out on the first and to start the second drive?

"Here's a perfect example of that. On Indiana's first possession, the Hoosiers went flying right down the field, with Tuttle throwing eight straight passes on the drive and leading the Hoosiers to the 6-yard line. They were humming, but then what did they do? They ran the ball on first-and-goal from the 6 and gained three yards with Davion Ervin-Poindexter, but then went into a wildcat formation with Carr behind center, and everyone in Memorial Stadium knew what was going to happen. The play went nowhere, and when Tuttle was sacked on third down when Indiana's offensive line couldn't block their blitz, the drive ended with a field goal.
Why the wildcat when you know your offensive line has struggled to win short-yardage situations all year? Sure, it didn't get executed by the players, but that's a play-call and package decision that failed badly.

I scratched my head on the second possession as well. It's Tuttle's first start, and you want him to be comfortable. What does Indiana do? They bring true freshman McCulley in at quarterback, and he throws a ball out in the flat to Carr, but it was behind him by several feet and the play went nowhere. Tuttle came back in on third-and-long — and misreads the coverage and throws a pick-six.

Why even mess with that? Why force a third-and-long? Look, McCulley is going to be a great quarterback when he times comes, but that's not right now, not on the second drive of a game that you absolutely had to win. That's a bad coaching decision in my book, too."
I thought he had really good points about putting a freshman in when the kid was playing well. Penix could throw ten interceptions and he wasn't coming out of the game and Tuttle completes eight in a row, and you replace him to give a different look at QB. Not really great stuff from a QB psychology standpoint. I am sure saying the freshman is going to play more is not going to help Tuttle's confidence much either.

Yes, but …

Its easy for us to hindsight all of our plays, and it’s easy to see open receivers from up above the field where we don’t have a bunch of hands and helmets in our way.

For me, it’s about doing What you do well. No pre-game mid-week decision about testing something out that trumps good game flow "just because we said we'd give McCulley a test." No tricksy mind games. No inflexible rules. READ THE ROOM. If the dinky pass is working - use it. Don’t stop because you hit the red zone and football strategists from the 80s say “red zone power run scores TDs.”

(And I‘m a guy who LOVES running the ball. And HATE all incomplete, drive killing passes!)

But …. If our drives stall WHEN AND BECAUSE we call a run and our OL and RB game sucks, who is the issue? OC For calling it? OL room for not blocking it? RB room for not busting it?

The real answer is “yes.” All 3 Could be the problem. But you also can't throw it every play.

On the drive discussed above it might be play call. But it could also have been McCullough, because if Ervin-Poindexter goes left on that play, he scores. But he planted his foot, turned downhill and hit the pile and got stopped. Do our RB’s have to ok to “run to daylight”? Or must they run the play? I'm not sure, but our decision-making as coaches sure seems to be having impact At the root of our troubles. I’d rather change our decision process than staff.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I would think you’d have to look at Kittley. His O had us going in all different directions guessing where to go next.
Kittley's an Air Raid guy and unless Allen's had some change of heart recently, I don't see him wanting an Air Raid offense for the program--especially given the strain it would put on his defense

Plus he was already let go by Allen
Allen was not here at the same time as Littrell.

He and Kevin Wilson "appeared" to have a falling out over the MN game lateral and he took a job at North Carolina the following season...

It is highly doubtful that he'd come back here without a heck of a package that would probably need to allow him "complete" control over the Offense...

That might be the sticking point with any known quantity that we'd hope to bring in (supposedly that's why Canada didn't take the job [the lack of complete control, which included Offensive coaches]...)...

Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk23
Allen was not here at the same time as Littrell.

He and Kevin Wilson "appeared" to have a falling out over the MN game lateral and he took a job at North Carolina the following season...

It is highly doubtful that he'd come back here without a heck of a package that would probably need to allow him "complete" control over the Offense...

That might be the sticking point with any known quantity that we'd hope to bring in (supposedly that's why Canada didn't take the job [the lack of complete control, which included Offensive coaches]...)...
I am sorry you are correct Kevin Johns was the offensive coordinator. I stand corrected.

Help me with something.

In this case it is both as coach Sheridan is QB coach and OC. His history as IU's QB coach isn't good as coach DeBoer showed the one year he was QB coach.

Reactions: TomEric4756
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT