ADVERTISEMENT

So we just picked up a transfer OL

A player who is good enough for the NFL will make the NFL, whether he goes to IU or O$U.. The school does not make the player.

Do players want to be on a winning team? Sure. But players who need the exposure and want to play relatively soon can shine at a place like IU.
Schools often make players. It’s coaching, development and competition, among other things. SMH.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This is not accurate. OSU did not want to keep him and made no effort to retain his commitment. None.

For those with a 247 account, go to the comment section and see what the Ohio State writer said about State wanting James in this class.

Here's a hint... their own writer said the staff didn't want to lose him.

Reactions: 76-1

For those with a 247 account, go to the comment section and see what the Ohio State writer said about State wanting James in this class.

Here's a hint... their own writer said the staff didn't want to lose
They recruited over him when they said they wouldn’t, they ignored him on his last visit to Columbus (according to SJ), and they made no effort to retain his commitment. Other than that . . .

And that article preceded the commitment they knew they were going to get. You’re simply wrong here, as if matters all these years later.

They recruited over him when they said they wouldn’t, they ignored him on his last visit to Columbus (according to SJ), and they made no effort to retain his commitment. Other than that . . .

And that article preceded the commitment they knew they were going to get. You’re simply wrong here, as if matters all these years later.

Yeah, been down this road before with you before.

You evidently have an in with every program in the country at this point.

I guess their own writer was lied to by the staff. Silly him.

With that said, I really don't care to argue this with you. It doesn't matter and I really don't care.

You can have the last word, because well, that's what you do.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
A player who is good enough for the NFL will make the NFL, whether he goes to IU or O$U.. The school does not make the player.

Do players want to be on a winning team? Sure. But players who need the exposure and want to play relatively soon can shine at a place like IU.
I really disagree with the notion that recruits will develop the same way no matter where they go. That can be the case with certain prospects who are just phenomenal athletes. Guys like George Karlaftis, they're just athletic freaks who most likely would've succeeded anywhere they went, and happened to see the field earlier because they went to lower tier P5 programs.

But the majority of the time, HS players do not come in to college as ready made NFL products, even top recruits. It's also important to note that certain positions take longer to develop than others. If we were talking about a position like cornerback (which is incredibly reliant on sheer athleticism), maybe there would be a stronger argument that an easier road to PT is the better option. But OL is the position in question and it's a position that almost always requires at least two years of development before a guy is ready to take the starting position. If you know you'll be relying on a school to develop you for at least a year or two before you even see the field, why wouldn't you choose the school that has nicer facilities, a better nutrition program, and competes for conference + national titles. All I'm saying is there's a reason most recruits (especially in HS) don't make their decision based off which program is going to give them the earliest PT.

I feel like we should also note that none of these recruits even had NIL as a factor at least in their initial recruitment, with top tier programs offering kids huge $ out of HS, it's all but hopeless for a program like Indiana to beat a program like OSU in a one on one recruiting battle.

Reactions: 82hoosier

With that said, I really don't care to argue this with you. It doesn't matter and I really don't care.

Relax. You just didn’t have this right, that’s all. No reason to get upset.

Most connected person in the country.

Prove me wrong. You can live in your Pollyanna house. The recruiting rating tells the story. Has the portal worked out? I know that’s how most think is the best solution but since we started that plan we have won 2 conference games. Tell me the last in state recruit we got that we wanted? Cherry? Curry? Moore? Should I continue? Prove that CTA is connected with the Indiana HS coaches because the lack of players says different.
I know for a fact, the CTA and the staff work the Indiana HS scene hard. My sons have played football at a fairly high level central Indiana school that has put players into the SEC, Notre Dame, MAC and multiple B1G schools during their time in HS. They've both commented on CTA and the staff being around school multiple times. They've been friends with several of the players that have been recruited and they've all commented on CTA and often times IU has been either the first, or one of the first to offer. Indiana has always been represented very heavily at the programs off-season "showcase" the school puts on.

Now here's where I will agree, our in-state recruiting hasn't necessarily gotten the results I would like. I know several of the coaches and parents I've talked to do look at IU as a bit of a step down from the "big boys" and once those programs come calling they've often become enamored with them. Nothing against what IU has brought, it's just a different level to them. So I certainly can understand how CTA's comments on easier to get players from out of state makes a lot of sense.

Schools often make players. It’s coaching, development and competition, among other things. SMH.
Really appreciate your posts.

We took a little different approach as we put more emphasis on the coaches vs the school as Phil is in a little different place as a portal guy.

No secret that we visited IU because of our history with Randolph. We were blessed enough to have other incredible options ranging from the SEC, B10, B12, iND, etc. but really the only other coach we felt could get Phil where he wanted to be was Stewart at Cincinatti. Although we took a little time, Coach Allen closed the deal effectively as our experience with him was SO MUCH better than Satterfield. Add in Wellman, and it was clear where Phil wanted and needed to be.

We trust and believe in this staff. Phil has zero concern over the past two years and is excited to be a part of the 2023 team that helps get this thing back on track. It all started with the coaches for us.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Ohio State absolutely wanted to keep James on their freshman class. James decommitted in early October from State who then a week later offered Marcus Crowley, who was a Miami commit.

You should stop talking about things you don't know about.
ElMeson is an objective source.

We took a little different approach as we put more emphasis on the coaches vs the school as Phil is in a little different place as a portal guy.

No secret that we visited IU because of our history with Randolph. We were blessed enough to have other incredible options ranging from the SEC, B10, B12, iND, etc. but really the only other coach we felt could get Phil where he wanted to be was Stewart at Cincinatti. Although we took a little time, Coach Allen closed the deal effectively as our experience with him was SO MUCH better than Satterfield. Add in Wellman, and it was clear where Phil wanted and needed to be.

We trust and believe in this staff. Phil has zero concern over the past two years and is excited to be a part of the 2023 team that helps get this thing back on track. It all started with the coaches for us.
Great for your son and your entire family, and I look forward to hearing about your experiences throughout the season. Really appreciate your insights here . . .

Go Phil, Go Hoosiers.

Last edited:
Coach Allen hasn’t refused to recruit the State of Indiana. That’s simply not accurate.
I agree. He visited my alma mater in Fort Wayne and I don't recall any IU head coaches ever doing that in the past. Fort Wayne is one of those areas that IU has had some success with when they actually go after the better guys there. For whatever reason the better FW players tend to go to PU or out of state.

I agree. He visited my alma mater in Fort Wayne and I don't recall any IU head coaches ever doing that in the past. Fort Wayne is one of those areas that IU has had some success with when they actually go after the better guys there. For whatever reason the better FW players tend to go to PU or out of state.
We’re struggling a bit to get the top in state kids to seriously consider us, but it’s not due to a lack of effort.

Fort Wayne hasn’t been as kind to us as it’s been to some other universities in the Midwest, but we have worked to have a presence there. Somewhat infamously, Lee Corso was in Fort Wayne visiting Rod Woodson when IU fired him. Not sure we were getting RW regardless of who our coach was, but that obviously eliminated us from contention.

Look forward to Phil playing a lot this year on the DL.
Out of curiosity (and you can decline to comment if you want) but what made him want to leave Texas Tech? He was playing good minutes there and participated in at least 1 bowl game. Was it the coaching change?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT