ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Lion Closing?

Had lunch a Irish Lion a couple months ago, first time in a few years. You can tell the energy was lacking, even for a lunch.
The menu hasn't changed in decades, the blarney puffballs are the only thing above average.
I honestly would invest depending on what their books looked like. The bones are good, just needs some fresh blood. New owners need to:
  1. Bring back the Full yards yesterday.
  2. Do something with the upstairs; looks like a nursery home up there
  3. change the menu
  4. somebody else mentioned music; live music would be pretty cool
We’re getting El Drado money???

My God, this just got real.

So we’re keeping the name and concept? If not, can’t we put this bar in anywhere?

Idea Man is my title. I only need 10% of all profits associated with the place and all spin offs (book deals, tv rights, franchises, etc.).

Let’s go!
I'm not sure the concept can work just anywhere. It's a unique place in Bloomington, which is unique itself.

Indianapolis had a great Irish bar downtown and it went under, along with its sister restaurant on the north side. Great bars, both of them. They didn't make it.

I've also seen wildly popular bars in the most out-of-the-way locations. You just never know.

I will take less profits and more free beer. And, when I walk in the bar, I want everyone to turn and yell "DAN!!!!!"

Last edited:
I'm not sure the concept can work just anywhere. It's a unique place in Bloomington, which is unique itself.

Indianapolis had a great Irish bar downtown and it went under, a long with it's sister restaurant on the north side. Great bars, both of them. They didn't make it.

I've also seen wildly popular bars in the most out-of-the-way locations. You just never know.

I will take less profits and more free beer. And, when I walk in the bar, I want everyone to turn and yell "DAN!!!!!"
Given the way political disputes go on here where no one really has a personal stake , I can’t wait to see the business discussions surrounding money with this group.

Indianapolis had a great Irish bar downtown and it went under, a long with it's sister restaurant on the north side. Great bars, both of them. They didn't make it.

Which leads us to, who is going to be Cliff Clavin?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Given the way political disputes go on here where no one really has a personal stake , I can’t wait to see the business discussions surrounding money with this group.
That's why I need to be the GM in charge. I'm strict, but fair. And chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear. And when I do, it usually something interesting.

The Switch Yard (never heard of it) is going for $2.3 million. If we can get it down to $1.7 m maybe El Drado will buy it for us?

• Love
Reactions: DANC and larsIU
The Switch Yard (never heard of it) is going for $2.3 million. If we can get it down to $1.7 m maybe El Drado will buy it for us?

Where's Dr. Hoops. He's loaded right?

Allow me to provide the most likely outcome.
Within a month of running we will only hear from twenty through his counsel. Who will be a jackoff.
Stoll will be in Naples and impossible to reach so receipts will just start getting kept in Kroger bags
Goat will turn out like the bear. Making super fancy shit we can’t pronounce and college kids won’t want
Joe will be there every day and somehow have a tab
Mark will be cemented at the end of the bar. Drinking and we think possibly living there
I’ll have a College chick with mental health issues pregnant.
Spartans will be selling adderal behind the restaurant and making triple the revenue the restaurant makes
Brad will get served during dinner rush with divorce papers
Marv will bring in his D&D crew and be permanently banned
Lars will show up for champions league after lunch and just order tea

I could go on and on
Don’t forget I’ll promise to come and 100% never come.

Now that you mention it..... I don't know if they're open now for breakfast - I doubt it. But a full Irish breakfast is awesome.
i think your comment eliminated HIS breakfast. Either through not eating it or a more involuntary action.

i think your comment eliminated HIS breakfast. Either through not eating it or a more involuntary action.
Yes, I got that. Or my tendency to not check the board until after noon.

Reactions: larsIU
Diet Coke.

And there will 100% be a sponsored Irish Lion disc golf league (skins format).
my buddy. soccer guy. owned a bar and grill. there's this old group of soccer legends about 25 years older than i that would come to his place for champions. and i mean legends. world cup players. hall of famers. one guy is literally known as mr. soccer.

well one day i went in for champions and their big table was gone and replaced with three little ones and they were nowhere to be found. i asked where are all the old goats.

kicked em out. wanted half price appetizers. drank tea and water. used up too many servers

i laughed for hours

That's the old Jake's.

Switchyard had a decent 3-4 year run. Kinda a soccer bar (but not quite Uptown level).

Bit on controversy last year (if you remember) with them hosting drag brunches, and the local III%'s showing up. Not sure if that was ultimately the death blow.

Happened to the Fairfax down by the lake as well. Guy dumped a bunch of money in, was getting good bands, and then made a Bud Light statement that made national headlines, and ran off the lake locals. Just don't get it.

You wanna remake Jake's...w bands? 😄 I couldn't even attempt that with Dave owning the Bird. Too good a guy. Pulling for him. Hi Fi in Indy makes it hard to books the bands he once did, for sure.

Reactions: BradStevens
We're doing some roadmapping and I've got a benchmarking call here in a bit. REAL FULL AFTERNOON IF YOU ASK ME.
After reviewing last qtr results, I just dropped my forecast on everyone in about 5 minutes total. The ones who talk the most are usually the ones who are trying to justify their existence. I'm taking the rest of the day off and letting the poors argue amongst themselves about acceptable activity numbers.

#myKPIisrevenuebitch

After reviewing last qtr results, I just dropped my forecast on everyone in about 5 minutes total. The ones who talk the most are usually the ones who are trying to justify their existence. I'm taking the rest of the day off and letting the poors argue amongst themselves about acceptable activity numbers.

#myKPIisrevenuebitch
I can't make head or tails of this so I'm going to guess you were writing

"my **** tank is on E."

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

#myKPIisrevenuebitch
My KPIs in no real particular order:

Cost per
Revenue per
Recovery per
Run Rate based on the third (we get paid on contingency primarily and I'll remind the sales folks of same).

Now, people will try to explain to me how 15 other things are important. I will review them and show them how they really are just a part of the above. Like cycle time. Until a client asks about I'll monitor it but I don't much care about it unless it, you guessed it, influences the above. Unless it's novel, **** off.

Allow me to provide the most likely outcome.
Within a month of running we will only hear from twenty through his counsel. Who will be a jackoff.
Stoll will be in Naples and impossible to reach so receipts will just start getting kept in Kroger bags
Goat will turn out like the bear. Making super fancy shit we can’t pronounce and college kids won’t want
Joe will be there every day and somehow have a tab
Mark will be cemented at the end of the bar. Drinking and we think possibly living there
I’ll have a College chick with mental health issues pregnant.
Spartans will be selling adderal behind the restaurant and making triple the revenue the restaurant makes
Brad will get served during dinner rush with divorce papers
Marv will bring in his D&D crew and be permanently banned
Lars will show up for champions league after lunch and just order tea

I could go on and on
I’m directing the reality show. VPR has nothing on us….we’ll provide the drama.

I can't make head or tails of this so I'm going to guess you were writing

"my **** tank is on E."
Nah. I killed last quarter and my 2Q forecast is on point. 2H is also strong. The other 3 OUs are behind, but have "great activity" and spent 30 minutes highlighting how busy they are and giving #s about calls made, VM's left, emails sent and proposals they've pushed out the door. I just laid out the numbers and what my team was committing to for the rest of the qtr and 2H. Mic drop. Off to the bar.

Switchyard was pretty decent, didn’t have food for quite awhile, only a brew pub. Maybe where the old Time Out was? That may be before your time.

That's the old Jake's.

Switchyard had a decent 3-4 year run. Kinda a soccer bar (but not quite Uptown level).

Bit on controversy last year (if you remember) with them hosting drag brunches, and the local III%'s showing up. Not sure if that was ultimately the death blow.

Happened to the Fairfax down by the lake as well. Guy dumped a bunch of money in, was getting good bands, and then made a Bud Light statement that made national headlines, and ran off the lake locals. Just don't get it.

You wanna remake Jake's...w bands? 😄 I couldn't even attempt that with Dave owning the Bird. Too good a guy. Pulling for him. Hi Fi in Indy makes it hard to books the bands he once did, for sure.
Even older Time Out….

Nah. I killed last quarter and my 2Q forecast is on point. 2H is also strong. The other 3 OUs are behind, but have "great activity" and spent 30 minutes highlighting how busy they are and giving #s about calls made, VM's left, emails sent and proposals they've pushed out the door. I just laid out the numbers and what my team was committing to for the rest of the qtr and 2H. Mic drop. Off to the bar.
New Balance needs a new slogan, like Nike:

Gettting. Things. Done.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT