ADVERTISEMENT

So to summarize,

Alford is an upgrade over Crean, no question. There are no facts to support the contrary. There are just feelings and feelings never make sense of facts.

Here is where people how dumb they are.

Donovan was at Florida for 19 years and won 2 national championships and is considered a great coach but Alford hasn't been a top school for half that amount of time is a mediocre coach. I come to this conclusion and that is there are too many mediocre basketball people on this forum. Get a clue and then we will talk.

Great way to open up saying how dumb people are while constructing that sentence. Bravo!

The rest of the paragraph is even better. Articulate. :rolleyes:

Billy Donovan took an also ran program and in his 4th year played for the national title. Steve Alford took Iowa, nowhere. New Mexico, somewhere and then blew two top 3 seeds to powerhouses like Harvard. At UCLA, he's managed to have a losing record in year 3, which is almost impossible at UCLA especially in a year not coming off sanctions.

Yes, tell us about those clues.

Yes it is. Alford has 14 top 3 conference finishes. Crean has 5. Mind boggling that people can look at a wiki page with records listed and come up with two different opinions. Tom Crean's only advantage is the Final Four he had 15 years ago. Other than that Alford has a better coaching resume in every other way. In what world do numbers of higher value become numbers of lower value? I get it, Alford is scum, but looking at his coaching record does not require implying or feeling stuff. Numbers, bro.

How many rebuilds did Alford have to do? ZERO
How many did Crean have to do? TWO
How many years was Alford in terrible conferences? 10
How many years was Crean in terrible conferences? ZERO
What was the Big Ten like when Alford was there vs Crean? Drastically different as shown the other day in analyzing the Mike Davis years. In the 9 years Crean was in the Big Ten, all but two years was it ranked 1 through 3 in conferences. Alford's years in the Big Ten, rated 10th, rated 7th, rated 5th.

You get the idea. Sometimes people have to look beyond a wiki page and actually do some deep research. Try it sometime.

What was the Big Ten like when Alford was there vs Crean? Drastically different as shown the other day in analyzing the Mike Davis years. In the 9 years Crean was in the Big Ten, all but two years was it ranked 1 through 3 in conferences. Alford's years in the Big Ten, rated 10th, rated 7th, rated 5th.

You get the idea. Sometimes people have to look beyond a wiki page and actually do some deep research. Try it sometime.

Too quote TMP...Crean still sucks

Too long to read.

Too farfetched to believe.

Gosh, golly gee whiz. If the lightswitch isn't on, is it off?? What do you guys think??

Look, if you don't know, you should say either:

1. I don't know crap, but I'm still [foolishly] going to express an "opinion" that sounds like nothing more than generalized questions;

2. Crickets.

You don't know squat. I don't know squat. But at least I'm not acting silly.

Sorry, have bad day or do enjoy responding like the south bound end of a north bound mule?

Too long - too short of an attention span?
Too farfetched to believe - talk to your fellow posters that is what they were saying
How the hell do I know if your light switch is on or off, OK I say it is OFF.

The only opinion if you can call it that is my preference is the current coach of the Boston Celtics and That ain't happening so..................................................

Chirp Chirp

You have a great evening.

Alford had rebuilds at SWMS and New Mexico. Crean had IU... only. Your conference analysis is highly questionable without supporting links.

I hope you're relying solely on memory and conveniently forgetting about Marquette in Conference USA. Again, I don't believe the Big was ever only rated 10th best conference and 7th is questionable, as well. But I'll wait for the links.

No credit given if you don't source your work.

And I highly doubt you'd want to compare precon schedule strength, either.

Rebuilds? Your point? Crean had two jobs, both were basketball schools with resources and reputations. Alford was in a terrible conference? Your point? Crean was an assistant for many years and never had to take a small inglorious job. I'd rather have someone who coached from the bottom up. You are resorting to subjectively comparing how strong the B1G was 10 years ago. Your data: number of years, number of rebuilds, subjective rankings of the B1G then and now. My data: wins, conference finishes. One set of data is unequivocal...which one is it?

Great way to open up saying how dumb people are while constructing that sentence. Bravo!

The rest of the paragraph is even better. Articulate. :rolleyes:

Billy Donovan took an also ran program and in his 4th year played for the national title. Steve Alford took Iowa, nowhere. New Mexico, somewhere and then blew two top 3 seeds to powerhouses like Harvard. At UCLA, he's managed to have a losing record in year 3, which is almost impossible at UCLA especially in a year not coming off sanctions.

Yes, tell us about those clues.
Is it almost impossible then what happened to UCLA's previous coach. You don't understand anything because it takes time to get players to play your style of basketball. It takes time to recruit players that fit your style of basketball. I also think the way you people on here keep bringing up the Pierce issue that might have contributed to his issues at UCLA. I do believe he didn't have the greatest fan support when he was hired. I guess you don't think any of that plays into it. Like I said get a clue.

Is it almost impossible then what happened to UCLA's previous coach. You don't understand anything because it takes time to get players to play your style of basketball. It takes time to recruit players that fit your style of basketball. I also think the way you people on here keep bringing up the Pierce issue that might have contributed to his issues at UCLA. I do believe he didn't have the greatest fan support when he was hired. I guess you don't think any of that plays into it. Like I said get a clue.

Wait, you're saying what we bring up here about the Pierce issue affected him at UCLA in the past? Are you for real? He's not a good coach. Ball's father just said if Alford leaves, his kids are still going to UCLA. They aren't following dream weaver, because they know he's a dime a dozen. UCLA fans I know are begging for him to leave and Addidas to pay the buyout. They won't think twice about Steve leaving.

Rebuilds? Your point? Crean had two jobs, both were basketball schools with resources and reputations. Alford was in a terrible conference? Your point? Crean was an assistant for many years and never had to take a small inglorious job. I'd rather have someone who coached from the bottom up. You are resorting to subjectively comparing how strong the B1G was 10 years ago. Your data: number of years, number of rebuilds, subjective rankings of the B1G then and now. My data: wins, conference finishes. One set of data is unequivocal...which one is it?

My point is that when you take on rebuilds, it means your W-L record suffers yet people here pretend it doesn't. When you take on rebuilds, it means you will finish in the bottom half of the conference for a period of time, depending on what the previous coach left. When you play in a terrible conference, it is a lot easier to climb to the top than playing in a conference like the Big East, Big Ten.

I'm not subjectively comparing how strong the Big Ten is at all. I'm using actual data and power rankings, the same ones the NCAA uses. How is that subjective? How is it subjective when the Big Ten was so God awful bad during Alford's era that our conference sent 3 teams to the NCAA tournament. Was that subjective, or reality? THREE. Oh, and Alford's team wasn't one of them.

Compare his record to McDermott's and it's no contest.

Yes it is. Alford has 14 top 3 conference finishes. Crean has 5. Mind boggling that people can look at a wiki page with records listed and come up with two different opinions. Tom Crean's only advantage is the Final Four he had 15 years ago. Other than that Alford has a better coaching resume in every other way. In what world do numbers of higher value become numbers of lower value? I get it, Alford is scum, but looking at his coaching record does not require implying or feeling stuff. Numbers, bro.

Alford had rebuilds at SWMS and New Mexico. Crean had IU... only. Your conference analysis is highly questionable without supporting links.

I hope you're relying solely on memory and conveniently forgetting about Marquette in Conference USA. Again, I don't believe the Big was ever only rated 10th best conference and 7th is questionable, as well. But I'll wait for the links.

No credit given if you don't source your work.

And I highly doubt you'd want to compare precon schedule strength, either.

BULLLLLSSSSSSHHHHHHIIIIII

Alford did not have a rebuild at New Mexico. Alford took over a New Mexico team that the year prior had a transfer from Kansas, JR Giddens. He had to sit a number of games do to disciplinary action or the team would have been fine.

They finished 15-17, only their second losing year at New Mexico in TWENTY FOUR YEARS. Yeah, some rebuild. Give me a break. Do you now remember Norm Ellenberger? UNM has had a very strong basketball history.

Alford's first year, Giddens (from KU) was a senior and allowed to play every game. Low and behold they won 20+ games, as they had most of the previous 20 seasons. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

You don't believe the Big Ten was rated 10th? Read it and weap.

TENTH 2003-04 TENTH https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf?date=2004-04-06

Conference USA, when Crean was there, was ranked 2nd the year the Big Ten was ranked 10th. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf?date=2004-04-06

Links provided.

Lastly, Crean took over a Marquette program that had four losing seasons in the last 12 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette_Golden_Eagles_men's_basketball
(remember Alford's UNM had 2 in the last 24, and the last one was because their phenom KU transfer was benched).

And no one has taken over the death trap of a program Crean did at IU anywhere in the last 50 years at a major program like ours, with one scholarship player. No one.

I'm no subjectively comparing anything. Those were the years Alford was in the Big Ten, and the conference sucked. Yet he underperformed. The Big Ten that Crean was in, was a monster, yet he still managed to win two championships. Literally, one year Alford coached in a Big Ten ranked 10th and sent 3 teams to the NCAA tournament. Three. And Alford's team wasn't one of them. THREE. The F'ing Colonial Athletic Conference was ranked higher.

Steve Aford's team is still playing for a national title. Crean is unemployed. Alford is an obvious upgrade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT