ADVERTISEMENT

So to summarize,

Scott S

Sophomore
Aug 28, 2001
it appears there are two groups attempting to drive the bus:

1. The Steve Alford/Bob Knight/Midwest "Guys"

"Guys" - being Alumni, boosters, moneyed interests pick your poison.

2. The Billy Donovan/Anti-Knight/East Coast "Guys"

Various sources are stating resources are not an issue, but I don't see how you would
ever combine said both sets of dollars begging a few questions which have the deeper pockets?
Exactly how much are we speaking about is it Calapari $$,s just got a two year extension of $7.75 and $8.0M per year or are we talking setting a new bar?

Ok, where I am going with this is if you are talking about setting a new bar there is only one person to whom I would extend such an offer, of $10M per or more and he is in Boston, with a Basketball Guy as his boss..........................excluding K, Izzo, Williams, your favorite HOF coach and no not that one,vvbg.

Can't say either of the two main names make me feel warm or fuzzy or even get me to watch again, but if Brad Stevens was the Head Basketball Coach of the Indiana University Men's Basketball program then yep I would have to watch, did you notice I said HAVE TO WATCH.

What does everyone else think?

Well the two sides get in each others way so IU ends up once again with their fifth choice again, do you have a faith that the athletic department will make a good choice, since the track record in regards to basketball has been uhm suspect those kind of thoughts......

Reactions: outlawyer
By "East Coast guy" I assume you mean native Hoosiers living on the East Coast, which describes me. I'm a proud Midwesterner, though, and I say there are at least 6-7 other coaches being mentioned that I prefer over Alford. If Alford is named, however, I'll grit my teeth and continue rooting for IU. I would also consider it an upgrade over Crean.

Reactions: franklin_iu

Various sources are stating resources are not an issue, but I don't see how you would
ever combine said both sets of dollars begging a few questions which have the deeper pockets?
Exactly how much are we speaking about is it Calapari $$,s just got a two year extension of $7.75 and $8.0M per year or are we talking setting a new bar?

Ok, where I am going with this is if you are talking about setting a new bar there is only one person to whom I would extend such an offer, of $10M per or more and he is in Boston, with a Basketball Guy as his boss..........................excluding K, Izzo, Williams, your favorite HOF coach and no not that one,vvbg.

Can't say either of the two main names make me feel warm or fuzzy or even get me to watch again, but if Brad Stevens was the Head Basketball Coach of the Indiana University Men's Basketball program then yep I would have to watch, did you notice I said HAVE TO WATCH.

Well the two sides get in each others way so IU ends up once again with their fifth choice again, do you have a faith that the athletic department will make a good choice, since the track record in regards to basketball has been uhm suspect those kind of thoughts......

Midwest guy who thinks Alford would be an abysmal choice (so does everyone I've talked to).
Usually when someone tells me there is only a binary, ether or, solution to a problem I get a strong urge to go back to the problem analysis stage of the decision making process.

Life is usually more complex than an either/or.

Reactions: hondo314
Usually when someone tells me there is only a binary, ether or, solution to a problem I get a strong urge to go back to the problem analysis stage of the decision making process.

Life is usually more complex than an either/or.
Considering how non committal you are on just about everything, I'm guessing this comes as no surprise to anyone

If we don't get Stevens, you aren't watching anymore? Sorry to lose you, but you might as well start looking somewhere else. Stevens isn't leaving a team that could be at the top of the Eastern Conference in the coming years. To get Stevens, you would ave to wait until he started having bad seasons. You will probably be waiting quite a while! Sounds like you can be a Butler fan.

Donovan gives us a proven winner. Archie Miller, Marshall, et al , give us coaches that have been successful at their level and have had some success on a national level. They can coach, but no guarantees of hanging a 6th banner at IU.

Reactions: cosmickid

Oh, I'd say I agree, too. I was just trying to be a wee cheeky in slamming Crean -- probably a little too harshly, in retrospect.

I don't want Alford as our next coach -- and I say that as somebody who adored him as a player. We can, and should, do better.

If we can't get Donovan, Stevens, or Marshall (as seems likely), then I think we should focus our attention on Archie Miller, Chris Mack, and Chris Holtmann (in that order).

Brad Stevens is successfully coaching one of the top jobs in all of pro sports. He's not leaving.

us midwest guys condone rape enablement?

no. just no.

I agree why leave Boston with Danny Ainge as your boss and they love him but what if you gave him $12 million reasons to leave per year........that is why I was asking about the money which I know we don't know how much has been 'pledged' and noting that the two groups I made up as part of the discussion, from all ;the various post on the subject might be difficult to combine said dollars, if there is another group please feel free to share. I hope this gets posted in the proper place

That's a grossly oversimplified assessment.

Reactions: T.M.P.
If we don't get Stevens, you aren't watching anymore? Sorry to lose you, but you might as well start looking somewhere else. Stevens isn't leaving a team that could be at the top of the Eastern Conference in the coming years. To get Stevens, you would ave to wait until he started having bad seasons. You will probably be waiting quite a while! Sounds like you can be a Butler fan.

Donovan gives us a proven winner. Archie Miller, Marshall, et al , give us coaches that have been successful at their level and have had some success on a national level. They can coach, but no guarantees of hanging a 6th banner at IU.

I've never thought Stevens was realistic. For a while I thought we might have a good shot at Donovan -- but my confidence has dropped.

I'm mostly holding out hope for Marshall. And I'd be tickled pink if he was the guy. If not, then I'd be happy with Miller, Mack, or Holtmann.

I stopped watching years ago, so you lost nothing, which does not mean I stopped paying attention. Life is too short to waste it watching poorly executed play, No I think Brad Stevens is a happy camper in Boston. As to Butler they are much more enjoyable to watch and have been for some time especially for a guy who for good or ill grew up in a house with a coach in it, and the fact my Niece plays for the women's program so there is that connection but nope not a Butler fan sorry.

Indiana University Class of 1988

I don't think either guy will be our coach, so put me in "the field" camp.

Reactions: JonesIndiana
That's a grossly oversimplified assessment.
It is a message board do you want me to write a dissertation with all the various permutations, of course I simplified it, please feel free to flesh out the original question, add whatever coach you want to the discussion and throw some additional comments or not.

I am just interested in a conversation and hopefully not confusing everyone with messing up the quote function, vvbg.

I like everyone else just waiting to see what happens next.

I agree why leave Boston with Danny Ainge as your boss and they love him but what if you gave him $12 million reasons to leave per year........that is why I was asking about the money which I know we don't know how much has been 'pledged' and noting that the two groups I made up as part of the discussion, from all ;the various post on the subject might be difficult to combine said dollars, if there is another group please feel free to share. I hope this gets posted in the proper place
That is an obscene amount of money, that guarantees nothing. If we had to pay that kind of money to get the "right" coach, I don't think I'd be watching anymore.

Gotta be somebody that realizes what an opportunity the IU coaching job is, somebody that really wants to be here, not bribed to be here.

Smacks too much of the desperation of Kentucky, their university, and their fans.

SouthBendJim

I pray it is not Alford. I'd be shocked if it is Donovan. We're going to get someone that either we massively overpaid to come here, or it will be a "really?" coach. Both might be fine, but this idea that the doors are being knocked over with great candidates because we are IU? Nah

Reactions: IU Hardcore
OH yeah that is a lot of money, don't disagree but then the last guy was paid an obscene amount of money with uhm really mixed results. I don't think your Coach exists anymore, go big or go home.....???

Oh, I'd say I agree, too. I was just trying to be a wee cheeky in slamming Crean -- probably a little too harshly, in retrospect.

I don't want Alford as our next coach -- and I say that as somebody who adored him as a player. We can, and should, do better.

If we can't get Donovan, Stevens, or Marshall (as seems likely), then I think we should focus our attention on Archie Miller, Chris Mack, and Chris Holtmann (in that order).

Another guy I'd be sure to talk to: Mike White from UF.

Reactions: Sope Creek
It is a message board do you want me to write a dissertation with all the various permutations, of course I simplified it, please feel free to flesh out the original question, add whatever coach you want to the discussion and throw some additional comments or not.

I am just interested in a conversation and hopefully not confusing everyone with messing up the quote function, vvbg.

I like everyone else just waiting to see what happens next.

There are any number of ways to frame a question to spark conversation without oversimplifying or requiring a dissertation.

Reactions: hondo314
That is an obscene amount of money, that guarantees nothing. If we had to pay that kind of money to get the "right" coach, I don't think I'd be watching anymore.

Gotta be somebody that realizes what an opportunity the IU coaching job is, somebody that really wants to be here, not bribed to be here.

Smacks too much of the desperation of Kentucky, their university, and their fans.

SouthBendJim

None of these dudes are coaching for just love of the game lol

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
None of these dudes are coaching for just love of the game lol

you might be a lot more wrong about that than you think.

they'll take the millions if you're handing them out, but plenty of great coaches would work for a living wage because they do love the game.

i have no doubt IU could get a great coach for $500,000 a yr (or much less).

but many don't want a great coach, they want a celebrity.

for anyone that actually did take the job "because it's IU, it won't be money that brings them here.

as long as you're throwing it at them, they'll take it, but they'd take it for a fraction of what they'll end up getting paid.

for those who are about the money, not the love, no amount will ever be enough, and they'll always be working you for more and more and more, no matter how ridiculously obscene the amount they're getting currently is.

you might be a lot more wrong about that than you think.

they'll take the millions if you're handing them out, but plenty of great coaches would work for a living wage because they do love the game.

i have no doubt IU could get a great coach for $500,000 a yr (or much less).

but many don't want a great coach, they want a celebrity.

for anyone that actually did take the job "because it's IU, it won't be money that brings them here.

as long as you're throwing it at them, they'll take it, but they'd take it for a fraction of what they'll end up getting paid.

for those who are about the money, not the love, no amount will ever be enough, and they'll always be working you for more and more and more, no matter how ridiculously obscene the amount they're getting currently is.

The proof is all the pay cuts they willingly take for other gigs?

Another way to put it is that older guys are more likely to accept Alford, although Donovan is a better choice of the reasonably possible group of candidates. Of course there are older guys who absolutely don't want Alford. The other category is younger guys...those who in no way hell want Alford and would be miserable if he was hired. Likewise, there are some younger ones...somewhere, I'm sure, who want Alford if Donovan doesn't take the bait. FWIW, I do think Alford would have greater longevity at IU, given the chance, than Donovan. As I see it, Donovan already has multiple banners of his own from 18 years at Florida. No one in his right mind would leave the glamorous life of the pros to go back to that college boy gig again. What would be the point?

Reactions: Scott S

Too long to read.

Too farfetched to believe.

Gosh, golly gee whiz. If the lightswitch isn't on, is it off?? What do you guys think??

Look, if you don't know, you should say either:

1. I don't know crap, but I'm still [foolishly] going to express an "opinion" that sounds like nothing more than generalized questions;

Or

2. Crickets.

You don't know squat. I don't know squat. But at least I'm not acting silly.

Reactions: Hawk_Circle_Hoosier
Another way to put it is that older guys are more likely to accept Alford, although Donovan is a better choice of the reasonably possible group of candidates. Of course there are older guys who absolutely don't want Alford. The other category is younger guys...those who in no way hell want Alford and would be miserable if he was hired. Likewise, there are some younger ones...somewhere, I'm sure, who want Alford if Donovan doesn't take the bait. FWIW, I do think Alford would have greater longevity at IU, given the chance, than Donovan. As I see it, Donovan already has multiple banners of his own from 18 years at Florida. No one in his right mind would leave the glamorous life of the pros to go back to that college boy gig again. What would be the point?

Agree another of the fan base "split"s would be by age as to their Coaching preference, good point.

I don't know why he would come back to college unless it has to do with what has occurred at OKC, Durant gone and Westbrook a free agent in a year or two I think. Also, I would think some of it would tie back to how the individual coach felt about recruiting...........\

Steve Alford's record is no upgrade to Tom Crean's record period.
Yes it is. Alford has 14 top 3 conference finishes. Crean has 5. Mind boggling that people can look at a wiki page with records listed and come up with two different opinions. Tom Crean's only advantage is the Final Four he had 15 years ago. Other than that Alford has a better coaching resume in every other way. In what world do numbers of higher value become numbers of lower value? I get it, Alford is scum, but looking at his coaching record does not require implying or feeling stuff. Numbers, bro.

Steve Alford isn't an upgrade over Crean, that's the problem.
Here is where people how dumb they are. Donovan was at Florida for 19 years and won 2 national championships and is considered a great coach but Alford hasn't been a top school for half that amount of time is a mediocre coach. I come to this conclusion and that is there are too many mediocre basketball people on this forum. Get a clue and then we will talk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT