ADVERTISEMENT

So Nebraska gets Riley

We Were Told Riley's Wife Didn't Like Bloomington

How is she gonna like Lincoln, Nebraska?

Truth is, he didn't want to coach IU.
McNeely had no juice to give him what a football program has to have - logo uniformity and brand is meaningless crap without a dedication to winning.

Same with DiNardo.
He had a great staff, and enough players to get it started - but wasn't given the money or commitment.

Hep came in and won over some hearts and minds ... and checkbooks.
Just as the BTN started to pour money into our coffers.

I'm convinced that IU can now compete in the areas that matter.
Huge stadiums matter less each year.
They are becoming dinosaurs.
Game day is important. We can compete.
Student athlete facilities are important. We can compete.
Winning is important.
Get the right teachers - who get some players - who get/gut over the hump - and we can compete.
Make the big play at the big moment. We can compete.

And that is where we are right now.
Competing, and then getting 5 big plays at the right time over the course of a season.

And boom ...

I agree with your analysis here...

(not as it pertains to Riley and his recruitment...I have no data here)

but the primordial soup is upon us...

We can and should become a program that wins.

I will remain an IU football fan...it's in my will that my ashes are spread where I tailgate (so that I might be there when the Hoosiers do become a program).

Seriously love to see the B1G get strong.

as the 1st guy who mentioned Riley for the IU job all those years ago

I can guarantee you that Dee did NOT in fact want to live in Bloomington (and I seriously doubt if she wants to live in Lincoln either, but at $3 Mil plus-per-year I guess she'll adjust). That overruled any mild interest that Mike had in the job. And he did have some MILD, TEMPORARY interest, at least until he found out how much less IU was willing to pay its FB coach than its men's BB coach (which even today is "bass-ackwards" IMO).

There remains no doubt in my mind that, if McNeely could've hired Riley at IU, Mike would've turned around the IU program big-time (with Paul Chryst as his Off Coordinator).

While I regarded DiNardo as a mediocre-to-bad gameday coach, I have a soft spot in my heart for the way he offended all the "basketball uber alles" folks in and around Assembly Hall with his blunt criticisms of IU Athletic Dept's priorities. SOMEONE had to point it out, even if it helped cost him his job.
This post was edited on 12/28 11:46 PM by welshman#

+1

We have had more than our share of mediocre-to-bad game day coaches. He will forever be damned by the PSU running plays, but that season was lost when Matt was hurt at Illinois the week before. Those last 3 games could have been the start of a return to respectability that ended instead with the Purdue debacle.

However, whatever bad one wants to ascribe to Coach DiNardo is more than offset by his contribution to the removal of
Terry Clapacs for the athletic administration at IU.

That's funny.

Dinardo did indeed level a fair amount of criticism at the Athletic Department. He ruffled feathers without question.

IU football is cursed!!!!

I can't stand that Jim Harbaugh guy!!

Oh well, WIlson needs to step it up to play with the big boys!!!recruiting, coaching, game planning. etc need to be elevated ASAP!!!

Go Hoosiers!!

You Can Probably Confirm or Refute This Too

Remember DiNardo's "tour" of Indiana high schools?

He always touted it as a tour to send the message "we are your state school, here to help you."

I was convinced he merely wanted to eyeball every HS football coach in the state and see which ones seemed to know what they were doing, and which did not, and where the relationship-building would be worth it.

I seem to recall a story where an Athletic Department secretary refused to perform some scheduling task because she claimed the football coach did not have the authority to tell her what to do. I always hoped it was just a story and feared it was probably true.

Remember when he was in charge of the 'search'

committee?

"Oh hey, I'm selecting myself".

Just one of the many doofus hires in the previous decade. From '96 on, we have been on quite a roll.

No matter his motive, I thought the visit to every HS

in Indiana was a great move.

For a day, IU football was front and center in every HS program in the state.

Looking back, only giving 3 years to Dinardo was ridiculous. I realize we got pounded by PU and I was there...ugh. But 3 years isn't enough time for anyone to establish anything.

I heard several similar stories re: the "pettiness" of some Ath Dept

staff and how they treated DiNardo. But I was also told that, for most of the "basketball first" crowd, McNeely was an even bigger issue than DiNardo.

Re: DiNardo in '04

Three yrs was awfully quick to pull the rug out on GD. The gut punch at illinois when iu scored on 1st play from scrimmage, led for 59 minutes, only to lose in last minute was classic iu bad luck. LoVecchio was having his best game ever, like 22 of 26, only to be hurt late 3rd qtr. IU led 19-0 in 1st qtr.

The PSU game the nxt wk featuring the 4 runs up the middle from the 1 were painful to watch too. Luckily i didnt go to pu to see the nxt wks massacre.

I recall after the big win at Oregon, the team going to uk and laying an egg and blowing a 20-7 lead at homecoming vs msu.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT