ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana eliminated from Big Ten championship title contention

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
The IU loss yesterday, combined with Illinois taking game 1 at Purdue means we can no longer get a share of the B1G title. And Nebraska winning at MSU means that the best we can do now is a 3 seed, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I think if we beat Michigan Saturday, we would, in fact, be the 3 seed in Omaha.

It’s ironic but I believe a 3rd place finish means Iowa game 1, win play Nebraska,
The IU loss yesterday, combined with Illinois taking game 1 at Purdue means we can no longer get a share of the B1G title. And Nebraska winning at MSU means that the best we can do now is a 3 seed, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I think if we beat Michigan Saturday, we would, in fact, be the 3 seed in Omaha.
Don’t know how a tie among IU, Nebraska, and Purdue behind Illinois sorts out, but 3rd place sets up Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois to reach championship round in winners bracket. That would be a difficult run, but bid worth IMO.
Latest D1 projection has 2 from B1G, Illinois & Nebraska. Sickening to me they have 9 from SEC, all at different 1st round sites, and 3 with losing records.

• Sad
Reactions: 82IU
Beat Michigan and they will be the 3-seed no matter what happens with the other teams around us who still have two games left.

If I'm not mistaken, Iowa can only move up if Purdue splits their last two games with Illinois, or they lose both games. Iowa has the tie breaker with Purdue, but they don't have the tie breaker either with IU or Michigan.

In another scenario, if Purdue drops both games that are left with Illinois, and OSU takes the last two games with Rutgers, Purdue would drop behind OSU on the tie breaker.

Last edited:
Results of other B1G games for Friday with all games final.

PSU @ Maryland (DH) G1 - PSU 6 Maryland 5 (10) G2 - PSU 19 Maryland 7.
PSU secured the 8-seed and I saw that OSU has the tie breaker over them for the 7-seed if should they tie. Maryland has zero chance of getting an at-large bid with their good RPI after they got swept at home by PSU and finished with a losing record in the conference and didn't make the tournament.

OSU 11 Rutgers 5 - OSU is sitting in 7th place right now and are a half game up on PSU. A loss tomorrow would put them into a tie with PSU for either the 7-seed or the 8-seed. A win by OSU tomorrow and another loss by Purdue to Illinois tomorrow, would put OSU into a tie with Purdue for 6th place with OSU owning the tie breaker.

Minn 13 NW 3 - The Gophers are eliminated from the conference tourney.

Neb 11 MSU 3 - A win tomorrow and a loss by Illinois to Purdue would give the Huskers a tie for the regular season championship with the Illini. MSU is eliminated from the tournament.

Illinois 9 Purdue 4 - The Illini clinched at least a tie for 1st and will go for the outright championship tomorrow. The best Purdue can do is 6th place with a win tomorrow against the Illini and they lose the tie breakers with both Michigan and Iowa if they finish 14-10. A loss to the Illini tomorrow and a win by OSU will put Purdue into a tie with OSU with the Buckeyes having the tie breaker for the 6-seed. I saw that the Huskers have the tie breaker over the Illini for the 1-seed should they tie for the title.

Iowa 15 FIU 2 - They are 1-1 in the non-conference series and Iowa is locked into the 5th seed with Michigan having the tie breaker and the 4th seed.

The bottom line is that the only thing left is deciding who will be the 1 and 2 seeds and the 6 and 7 seeds, which needless to say will be decided tomorrow.

Last edited:
Results of other B1G games for Friday with all games final.

PSU @ Maryland (DH) G1 - PSU 6 Maryland 5 (10) G2 - PSU 19 Maryland 7.
PSU secured the 8-seed and I saw that OSU has the tie breaker over them for the 7-seed if should they tie. Maryland has zero chance of getting an at-large bid with their good RPI after they got swept at home by PSU and finished with a losing record in the conference and didn't make the tournament.

OSU 11 Rutgers 5 - OSU is sitting in 7th place right now and are a half game up on PSU. A loss tomorrow would put them into a tie with PSU for either the 7-seed or the 8-seed. A win by OSU tomorrow and another loss by Purdue to Illinois tomorrow, would put OSU into a tie with Purdue for 6th place with OSU owning the tie breaker.

Minn 13 NW 3 - The Gophers are eliminated from the conference tourney.

Neb 11 MSU 3 - A win tomorrow and a loss by Illinois to Purdue would give the Huskers a tie for the regular season championship with the Illini. MSU is eliminated from the tournament.

Illinois 9 Purdue 4 - The Illini clinched at least a tie for 1st and will go for the outright championship tomorrow. The best Purdue can do is 6th place with a win tomorrow against the Illini and they lose the tie breakers with both Michigan and Iowa if they finish 14-10. A loss to the Illini tomorrow and a win by OSU will put Purdue into a tie with OSU with the Buckeyes having the tie breaker for the 6-seed. I saw that the Huskers have the tie breaker over the Illini for the 1-seed should they tie for the title.

Iowa 15 FIU 2 - They are 1-1 in the non-conference series and Iowa is locked into the 5th seed with Michigan having the tie breaker and the 4th seed.

The bottom line is that the only thing left is deciding who will be the 1 and 2 seeds and the 6 and 7 seeds, which needless to say will be decided tomorrow.
Purdue is the 6

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT