ADVERTISEMENT

So much for the "Calipari develops NBA players" nonsense

wi_hoosier

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
Kentucky freshman Kahlil Whitney, who was a five-star prospect, announced Friday that he is leaving the program.

Whitney started the first seven games of the season, but his role has steadily diminished. He has scored just three points in SEC play and played just four minutes total over Kentucky's past two games. He will end his freshman season averaging 3.3 points and 1.7 rebounds.

He was a McDonald's All American and ranked No. 12 in the ESPN 100 in the 2019 class.

Kentucky freshman Kahlil Whitney, who was a five-star prospect, announced Friday that he is leaving the program.

Whitney started the first seven games of the season, but his role has steadily diminished. He has scored just three points in SEC play and played just four minutes total over Kentucky's past two games. He will end his freshman season averaging 3.3 points and 1.7 rebounds.

He was a McDonald's All American and ranked No. 12 in the ESPN 100 in the 2019 class.
Can he shoot 3s?
Archie maybe can sign him?

So because one guys doesnt pan out it turns into Calipari doesn’t develop NBA players?

Just thought I'd drop by and see if 1. you actually had a rivals message board and 2. if anyone was talking about that pathetic and desperate display of a halftime show you all put on last night.. and of course UK was the first topic of discussion - like always

Jamaal Murray
Trey Lyles
De'Aaron Fox
Eric Bledsoe
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Devin Booker
Kevin Knox
Tyler Herro
Karl Anthony Towns
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Willie Cauley-Stein
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Nerlens Noel
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Hamidou Diallo
Julius Randle
Brandon Knight
Skal Labissiere

Just thought I'd drop by and see if 1. you actually had a rivals message board and 2. if anyone was talking about that pathetic and desperate display of a halftime show you all put on last night.. and of course UK was the first topic of discussion - like always

Jamaal Murray
Trey Lyles
De'Aaron Fox
Eric Bledsoe
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Devin Booker
Kevin Knox
Tyler Herro
Karl Anthony Towns
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Willie Cauley-Stein
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Nerlens Noel
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Hamidou Diallo
Julius Randle
Brandon Knight
Skal Labissiere
You do realize that having a 2017 join date and only having 1 post identifies you as a sock puppet of one of our trolls, right?

So because one guys doesnt pan out it turns into Calipari doesn’t develop NBA players?

He can recruit NBA level talent, but more often than not a player’s draft stock stays about the same or decreases after time with Calipari.

Reactions: 76-1

Just wait this is when brooks jr really comes on and becomes that one and done. Time to be selfish boys.

Eventually in math class you will learn about this thing called percentages. They will help you with very basic reasoning. Pay attention.

Reactions: RogerIndy

Jamaal Murray
Trey Lyles
De'Aaron Fox
Eric Bledsoe
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Devin Booker
Kevin Knox
Tyler Herro
Karl Anthony Towns
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Willie Cauley-Stein
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Nerlens Noel
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Hamidou Diallo
Julius Randle
Brandon Knight
Skal Labissiere
one title. god awful coach

Jamaal Murray
Trey Lyles
De'Aaron Fox
Eric Bledsoe
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Devin Booker
Kevin Knox
Tyler Herro
Karl Anthony Towns
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Willie Cauley-Stein
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Nerlens Noel
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Hamidou Diallo
Julius Randle
Brandon Knight
Skal Labissiere
That is a great list of home grown Kentucky High School Talent!!! Oh, wait a minute....er, sorry about that.

Jamaal Murray
Trey Lyles
De'Aaron Fox
Eric Bledsoe
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Devin Booker
Kevin Knox
Tyler Herro
Karl Anthony Towns
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Willie Cauley-Stein
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Nerlens Noel
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Hamidou Diallo
Julius Randle
Brandon Knight
Skal Labissiere
If not for the one-and-done rule, I wonder how many of these kids would have gone straight to the pros. No one with any sense would say that Calipari can't recruit the top HS players. But the question remains... can he develop players and make them better?

Lol That many NBA players and how many titles do they have?

Also, how does Calipari get the best of the best players out of high school every year and still have only a couple of the higher end talents in the NBA? The odds are likely they should have many more all stars than that list contains. Who is to blame? I'll help you...Calimari...

If not for the one-and-done rule, I wonder how many of these kids would have gone straight to the pros. No one with any sense would say that Calipari can't recruit the top HS players. But the question remains... can he develop players and make them better?
I think most years he does. Can you imagine starting out with a new team every year? They might start slow but usually get better throughout the year.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Calipari cannot coach with 3-4* players. He needs the 5* to make his coaching appear better. A few times even with all the talent his lack of coaching abilities have shown up.Coach K is a far superior coach but also relies on star studded players to enhance his won-lost record just like Calipari.

Calipari cannot coach with 3-4* players. He needs the 5* to make his coaching appear better. A few times even with all the talent his lack of coaching abilities have shown up.Coach K is a far superior coach but also relies on star studded players to enhance his won-lost record just like Calipari.
What evidence do you have that he can’t win with 3-4* players? He took UMASS to the Final Four. Did he have 5 stars there?

This is like saying John Wooden was a bad coach because he had the most talent. Or Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Dabo Sweeney are bad coaches because THEY land the best players.

Get a clue buddy.

Lol That many NBA players and how many titles do they have?

Also, how does Calipari get the best of the best players out of high school every year and still have only a couple of the higher end talents in the NBA? The odds are likely they should have many more all stars than that list contains. Who is to blame? I'll help you...Calimari...
Just beyond ignorant. Calipari has been to 4 Final Fours and won a title in the last decade. We haven’t done that much in the three decades.

Brooks would have gone pro for sure.

What evidence do you have that he can’t win with 3-4* players? He took UMASS to the Final Four. Did he have 5 stars there?

This is like saying John Wooden was a bad coach because he had the most talent. Or Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Dabo Sweeney are bad coaches because THEY land the best players.

Get a clue buddy.
Camby was a paid 5 star. take the rest of the day off bub

Camby was a paid 5 star. take the rest of the day off bub

Camby could have been a pro then, he may have taken money to go there, but does he really strike as a guy that loved his studies enough to stay 3 years? He could have gone straight pro, before the rule, assuming he thought he was ready

That's simply ridiculous, I'll bet he's put more players pro than anybody in the last ten years. Is coach K a failure because he failed to get Trevon Duval drafted or Wendell Carter and Duval complained about their time there? That's cherry picking.

Add to that, it does take a lot to get a bunch of new 5 stars every year and get them to compete for minutes and play as a team, he routinely does it, he even invented it. You may not like him or the Izzo's of the world or their universities, but it doesn't mean they aren't very good at what they do.

That's simply ridiculous, I'll bet he's put more players pro than anybody in the last ten years. Is coach K a failure because he failed to get Trevon Duval drafted or Wendell Carter and Duval complained about their time there? That's cherry picking.

Add to that, it does take a lot to get a bunch of new 5 stars every year and get them to compete for minutes and play as a team, he routinely does it, he even invented it. You may not like him or the Izzo's of the world or their universities, but it doesn't mean they aren't very good at what they do.
If those players went to Ball St they'd make it to the NBA

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The “UK has put more players in the NBA” statement makes me laugh. Every one of those players where headed to the pro’s regardless. He has squandered more talent than any 10 programs in the country. He should have won at least 3 titles with those Umass, Memphis and U.K. teams.

Jamaal Murray
Trey Lyles
De'Aaron Fox
Eric Bledsoe
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Devin Booker
Kevin Knox
Tyler Herro
Karl Anthony Towns
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Willie Cauley-Stein
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Nerlens Noel
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Hamidou Diallo
Julius Randle
Brandon Knight
Skal Labissiere
Most of these guys would have eventually been in the League even if they didn’t go to Kentucky. Not sure just how much Cal could have coached them up if they only stayed a year or so anyway. So let’s not imply that he’s some kind of great creator of NBA talent.

Reactions: ulrey

Personally I don’t think Cal is a failure but given the level of talent he’s had, yes he’s underachieving. I’d bet he’d say the same about himself. I think he’s a good coach and a great salesman. He’s not about to be found on anybody’s list of the top 10 all-time basketball coaches, probably not top 20 either.

Honestly, Calipari does a really good job at what he does. If you're going to adopt the OAD model you have to be all in, and he gets young talent to play well by seasons end.

I'm still on the record as I've always been: I wouldn't want IU to ever try to emulate what UK/Calipari is doing. It has nothing to do with jealousy, as some have insinuated. It has EVERYTHING to do with being perpetually young ever year - which, IMHO, will more than likely come back to bite you in the butt. Just not worth it.

Lol. You dont like one and done but now you find yourself putting kids on those immediate timelines. Ironic.

He wasnt playing well and it's clear someone was in his ear telling him he was a star...who knows how he'd do if be stuck it out. Sports are about competition but dome kids run when they're subject to the first sight of it.

I notice you didnt mention Nick Richards who was a project but now on his timeline is playing like an all American. Or I notice you didnt mention ppl like tyler herro who couldn't gaurd a stool when he got here or get open and was thought to be a 3 year guy, but who's killing it in the nba. Or PJ washington who stayed and became an all American his 2nd yr after a mediocre first yr. Or willie mcauley Stein who chased butterflies his first 2 years then became national defensive player of they year, a first team AA and the 6th pick. Etc, etc. Only PJ out of those listed was a 5 star btw.

I've noticed you all trash Brooks a lot. Again, weird all of a sudden his now on a timeline you've created. We all know he'll be good tho before he leaves, whatever year that is...on HIS timeline. Odd all of a sudden now you think kids suck if they arent OAD.

But, you do you. I hear you all are still celebrating meaningless regular season December games 8 years later at half time. Something elite programs do.

Btw you all still spit on people?

Honestly, Calipari does a really good job at what he does. If you're going to adopt the OAD model you have to be all in, and he gets young talent to play well by seasons end.

I'm still on the record as I've always been: I wouldn't want IU to ever try to emulate what UK/Calipari is doing. It has nothing to do with jealousy, as some have insinuated. It has EVERYTHING to do with being perpetually young ever year - which, IMHO, will more than likely come back to bite you in the butt. Just not worth it.
I too would not want a plethora of oads. For me it is because of how I feel about the players who come to IU. There is a big difference between how I view Eric Gordon and Steve Alford. Eric was here one year while Steve played four. Now it doesn't take four years. I love Victor Oladipo and am thrilled he is playing for my Pacers. I actually love the Pacers more because he is on there because of the love I had for him while he was at IU. When Victor hurt his knee it really bothered me because I care for him. Now if Noah Vonleh hurt his knee I would not be as hurt because he was only at IU for one year. I didn't get the chance to love him like I did Victor or any other player. If Isaiah Thomas had not lead IU to the title then he would have just been another player who played with Wittman and Kitchel who stayed four years. Right or wrong it's just the way I think. It takes time to develop affection for players. I can't see how any of that happens at UK if you are a fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT