ADVERTISEMENT

Slow starts are a problem, so try this Arch

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
Often this team gets off to slow starts for whatever reason. So why does Arch continue with the same starting lineup? I realize that’s not a magic cure, but it seems odd that Arch is on auto pilot. Start Davis, Race, Franklin, Hunter, Lander. Give it a try!

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
At this point, the only bench player good enough to take a starting job is maybe Leal. At least he can shoot. His conference 3 PT % is over 40, and his D has improved quite a bit.

Often this team gets off to slow starts for whatever reason. So why does Arch continue with the same starting lineup? I realize that’s not a magic cure, but it seems odd that Arch is on auto pilot. Start Davis, Race, Franklin, Hunter, Lander. Give it a try!
Hunter and Lander turn the ball over too much and can’t defend. I’m afraid what we have is what we have. We’re just not a deep enough team talent wise to change up that much.

Hunter and Lander turn the ball over too much and can’t defend. I’m afraid what we have is what we have. We’re just not a deep enough team talent wise to change up that much.
Not deep enough, not talented enough, not well coached enough

Reactions: BigMobe
Hunter doesn't have a TO problem it's at 12%.

Franklin is the major culprit along with the freshman.

Franklin, Leal, Geronimo, Thompson, TJD.
Sub in Galloway first, then Durham. Then Hunter. Then Rob. Then Lander.

See Archie's quoted on front page (Alex Lasley tweet) about why he won't change the starting line-up. I doubt you'll like it.

See Archie's quoted on front page (Alex Lasley tweet) about why he won't change the starting line-up. I doubt you'll like it.
He's said similar things before. He's pretty set in his ways. That would be acceptable if those ways were producing wins. Really need to see something good happen the rest of this season or next.

He's said similar things before. He's pretty set in his ways. That would be acceptable if those ways were producing wins. Really need to see something good happen the rest of this season or next.

Listening to his PC answers......I have to say he had pretty good answers on why he hasn't changed the starting line-up, and comes back to the starting line-up in the 2nd half......better than I expected to hear.

Edit: To summarize, he said he doesn't think the slow starts have much to do with the starting LU, or not being ready to play. but rather go to a lack of confidence/anxiety offensively. He talked about missing a lot of east shots at the start of games (mentioned TJD) as an example

Concerning the 2nd half LU, he said he doesn't want to hurt the confidence of the starters based on someone else playing well in the 1st half, but also said someone who's playing well will get more time in the course of the game.

Last edited:
....,,,,but rather go to a lack of confidence/anxiety offensively. He talked about missing a lot of east shots at the start of games (mentioned TJD) as an example

Concerning the 2nd half LU, he said he doesn't want to hurt the confidence of the starters based on someone else playing well in the 1st half, but also said someone who's playing well will get more time in the course of the game.

I think he’s probably right. This team IS one big head case. Of course we have confidence and anxiety issues. Even TJD said as much, that he gets lackadaisical after missing a few bunnies.

My theory: Miller is not helping with this, and he may be the cause. He needs a professional to help him with this, I mean this sincerely. Instead of frowning and talking about how brutal the league is, and how kids just need more confidence, have someone that knows how to motivate.

For four years there has been something off. And it is 100% a mental thing.

I think he’s probably right. This team IS one big head case. Of course we have confidence and anxiety issues. Even TJD said as much, that he gets lackadaisical after missing a few bunnies.

My theory: Miller is not helping with this, and he may be the cause. He needs a professional to help him with this, I mean this sincerely. Instead of frowning and talking about how brutal the league is, and how kids just need more confidence, have someone that knows how to motivate.

For four years there has been something off. And it is 100% a mental thing.
It may also be a lack of preparation and/or scouting.

I remember an interview with a few conference coaches (don;t remember which it was a while back) talking about what sets this league apart, the normal blah physical blah coaching blah blah blah was mentioned but so was scouting and prep.

It was stated that you constantly have to change things up and add new wrinkles because other teams will scout the fk out of you and take away all comfort zones. Holtmann, Painter and Izzo to name a few excel at this. That may better explain 4 years of slow starts than it just being a confidence issue.

But if that is the case and strategy, prep and scouting are lacking, then the tactics and adjustments have to have been decent because he has tended to get back into games after those slow starts.

Reactions: .Gerdis
It may also be a lack of preparation and/or scouting.

I remember an interview with a few conference coaches (don;t remember which it was a while back) talking about what sets this league apart, the normal blah physical blah coaching blah blah blah was mentioned but so was scouting and prep.

It was stated that you constantly have to change things up and add new wrinkles because other teams will scout the fk out of you and take away all comfort zones. Holtmann, Painter and Izzo to name a few excel at this. That may better explain 4 years of slow starts than it just being a confidence issue.

But if that is the case and strategy, prep and scouting are lacking, then the tactics and adjustments have to have been decent because he has tended to get back into games after those slow starts.
Is that a defense of shitty coaching ... lack of "prep/scouting" may be the culprit here! Jesus, may head may explode!

Start all four freshman and Armaan. That way, he isn’t singling out any one kid nor will “lose” them. It’s a message that, as a group, you ALL need to get your @$$ in gear.

Idk who it was, and maybe it was multiple pundits, who would mention Crean teams’ pre-game regiment was too intense, too physical. Wore them out. I don’t recall them being poor starters.

Fast forward to Archie teams, and it’s quite obvious they are consistently slow starters. Is that a product of their detached, laissez faire pre-game approach? Don Fisher mentioned their pre-game approach not too long ago. Maybe they could use an alarm clock to rouse them from their early game slumber.

Last edited:
Just read this from Miller. I counted 11 times that he mentioned some form of the word “confidence”. That doesn’t include him mentioning things like anxiety, mental, faith, etc.

How does constantly harping on confidence make a team more mentally tough and prepared?

It’s a coaches job to have a game plan (and a system)

It’s a coaches job to get the team to buy into that game plan (and system) and know that if they execute the game plan they will have success.

“ you do not want to lose confidence in guys by making changes. ”

What’s the old quote from RMK: Bench sends message to players brain?

No wonder we don’t seem to be a very mentally tough group.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and BigMobe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT