ADVERTISEMENT

Since the AOTF is clearly the best place to ask for manly advice here’s my question.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Its Valentines Day, the day we men get our balls raked across the coals to buy some overpriced flowers. I like to buy my wife flowers and not just on VD and her birthday but whenever the spirit moves me. Sometimes instead of buying flowers (because they die) I will get a plant that forces to keep it alive (a metaphor for life). This particular year we’re heading to Michigan for some skiing and leaving tomorrow. I really don’t feel like wasting the money on flowers and not have my wife be able to enjoy them. Seems like wasted money. So I can opt for the plant, grab a single stem rose explain my actions and up the ante on the gift I’ve yet to pick out. We’ve conditioned our women to expect certain things on this day.....this is what worries me.

What should I do AOTF?

Its Valentines Day, the day we men get our balls raked across the coals to buy some overpriced flowers. I like to buy my wife flowers and not just on VD and her birthday but whenever the spirit moves me. Sometimes instead of buying flowers (because they die) I will get a plant that forces to keep it alive (a metaphor for life). This particular year we’re heading to Michigan for some skiing and leaving tomorrow. I really don’t feel like wasting the money on flowers and not have my wife be able to enjoy them. Seems like wasted money. So I can opt for the plant, grab a single stem rose explain my actions and up the ante on the gift I’ve yet to pick out. We’ve conditioned our women to expect certain things on this day.....this is what worries me.

What should I do AOTF?

I have conditioned mine not to expect anything. Waste of time. Every day is Valentine's Day.

What should I do AOTF?

Buy her a flowing plant while in Michigan...

main-lining-example-marijuana.jpg

Actually gonna buy the Honda Odyssey today in time for the trip to Michigan. Was about to get the Honda in Fishers to get payments below the Chrysler Pacifica. Similar type of trims too. As long as the deal doesn’t fall through I’m completely happy with my negotiating on this car.

What should I do AOTF?
Bring home another chick and have a 3 way.

Make sure to take her someplace nice for a really good dinner, buy her a bottle of her favorite wine, then bang her well on VD. You could even buy her a gift card to her favorite shopping place like Victoria's Secret, Macy's, etc. I don't mind spending good money on something you can actually use instead of flowers that die in a couple days. She should appreciate that as well.

What should I do AOTF?

Give her some of those Lindor chocolate covered balls

giphy.gif

Actually gonna buy the Honda Odyssey today in time for the trip to Michigan. Was about to get the Honda in Fishers to get payments below the Chrysler Pacifica. Similar type of trims too. As long as the deal doesn’t fall through I’m completely happy with my negotiating on this car.

I had an Odyssey when the kids were little.
Good family auto.

What should I do AOTF?

Buy flowers? Hell no.... you should lease them!

Oh, and never, NEVER buy a single rose for a woman. Screams "I'm cheap." A friends BF did that, and she asked him where the other 11 were! Cool chick. If you're gonna skimp, do it on chocolate, but not roses. And, yes, she does expect certain things on certain days and this is one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990

What should I do AOTF?
I had Valentines day. Every day should be Valentines Day, not just one day. I've learned that randomness is best rather than something cheesey one day a year.

I have conditioned mine not to expect anything. Waste of time. Every day is Valentine's Day.
My wife goes to the grocery every 2 weeks. She buys cut flowers every 2 weeks. We joke they are from me and if someone sees them, she will say they are from me.

This year, my wife asked me to not buy roses as I usually do as they jack up the price and they do not last as long as other flowers. Instead, she bought a bigger arrangement of cut flowers today at the store. Happy Valentines Day from me!

We went out to eat last night for V Day. We went partly to avoid the crowd tonight and the fact today was grocery day and our options in the pantry and freezer were limited.

We will take the dog for a walk, have a glass of wine, and see what happens after that. The days of big presents and cards were discarded years ago for us,

Reactions: sglowrider
My wife goes to the grocery every 2 weeks. She buys cut flowers every 2 weeks. We joke they are from me and if someone sees them, she will say they are from me.

This year, my wife asked me to not buy roses as I usually do as they jack up the price and they do not last as long as other flowers. Instead, she bought a bigger arrangement of cut flowers today at the store. Happy Valentines Day from me!

We went out to eat last night for V Day. We went partly to avoid the crowd tonight and the fact today was grocery day and our options in the pantry and freezer were limited.

We will take the dog for a walk, have a glass of wine, and see what happens after that. The days of big presents and cards were discarded years ago for us,

Not to worry, I'm sure her boyfriend will get her something nice!

Not to worry, I'm sure her boyfriend will get her something nice!
No the sackers at the grocery store are too poor to buy presents. I'm on to them as I bagged a few groceries in my day. I have a lot of stories from that experience! Imagine the work environment with 16-19 year old boys and cashiers in their 20's and the divorced cashiers and customers in their 30's and early 40's

No the sackers at the grocery store are too poor to buy presents. I'm on to them as I bagged a few groceries in my day. I have a lot of stories from that experience! Imagine the work environment with 16-19 year old boys and cashiers in their 20's and the divorced cashiers and customers in their 30's and early 40's

c'mon now, you know well then that they can afford to give her a special necklace!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Consumer Reports predicts better reliability for the Honda vs the Chrysler.

Buy flowers? Hell no.... you should lease them!

Oh, and never, NEVER buy a single rose for a woman. Screams "I'm cheap." A friends BF did that, and she asked him where the other 11 were! Cool chick. If you're gonna skimp, do it on chocolate, but not roses. And, yes, she does expect certain things on certain days and this is one of them.

You say she’s a cool chick, but it doesn’t sound like it.

What should I do AOTF?

Hire a good divorce attorney.

Some guy here told me this saying once: Every day is a holiday if you have money in your pocket.

Maybe you can adapt it to Valentine's:

Every day's Valentine's Day when you have me in your life? Or

Every day's Valentine's Day considering the few we have left?

So I decided not to get flowers....I did even better. I was at Altum’s for you locals that no the place and bought a terrarium container, plants, rocks and everything needed to build it. I figured it would be a good activity for my wife and three girls to make. So now they can enjoy it all the time.

Damn I’m good right?

Reactions: kkott
So I decided not to get flowers....I did even better. I was at Altum’s for you locals that no the place and bought a terrarium container, plants, rocks and everything needed to build it. I figured it would be a good activity for my wife and three girls to make. So now they can enjoy it all the time.

Damn I’m good right?
geez romeo - were they sold out of 1000 piece puzzles?

jk- if thats what she likes, only you know your lady (you assume)

Some guy here told me this saying once: Every day is a holiday if you have money in your pocket.

Maybe you can adapt it to Valentine's:

Every day's Valentine's Day when you have me in your life? Or

Every day's Valentine's Day considering the few we have left?
We are less than 71 days form my daughter's wedding. I won't know exactly how much is in my pocket until that is over. I stopped asking about the cost. At least my secret stash of cash is safe.

We are less than 71 days form my daughter's wedding. I won't know exactly how much is in my pocket until that is over. I stopped asking about the cost. At least my secret stash of cash is safe.
:(

I only have cats. Easier to budget!!

c'mon now, you know well then that they can afford to give her a special necklace!
The age range of those sacking where she shops is 16 - 80 with the average nearer 80. Some of those old boys may have trouble. It is possible they could still be working so they can afford the little blue pill and pick up chicks.

We walked into the dealer about 2:00 on New Year's Eve in a driving rain storm. The salesmen almost knocked each other down to get to us. We didn't expect to buy a car that day, but they made us a terrific deal that it didn't make sense to waste time looking as we had done our research. I told them we would have to move money from one bank to another and come back to write a check. They let me write a check and date it for a week later. By 4:00 we left with our new car. It was crazy!

This is late, but candy is usually a good deal. My wife likes candy and she likes the ice cream cakes from DQ. I took her to Qdoba yesterday because if you kiss your loved one then they get a free meal. After we did that we stopped by Sheetz Convenience and got a couple of orders of cinammon rolls. Soooo good. Then we went to DQ and got an ice cream cake and had it for dessert at supper time.

This is late, but candy is usually a good deal. My wife likes candy and she likes the ice cream cakes from DQ. I took her to Qdoba yesterday because if you kiss your loved one then they get a free meal. After we did that we stopped by Sheetz Convenience and got a couple of orders of cinammon rolls. Soooo good. Then we went to DQ and got an ice cream cake and had it for dessert at supper time.

I'm not sure I know the answer to the perfect V-day gift, but my recommendation is do the opposite of whatever VPM does and you'll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT