ADVERTISEMENT

Since Mike Davis, Woodson easily inherited the best roster

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
yet the offense is still pitiful, team looks no different than the archie years, he has recruited about 18 guards for the next 3 years, outside of banks who is 6 7 and 175 lbs we have no size at all coming in or even looking at us, can someone please give me some hope?

yet the offense is still pitiful, team looks no different than the archie years, he has recruited about 18 guards for the next 3 years, outside of banks who is 6 7 and 175 lbs we have no size at all coming in or even looking at us, can someone please give me some hope?
He has recruited a ton of guards yet he has a great roster. You are missing the bigger picture? The back court is one of the worst in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Like ryan ohillips has says no reason this team should not comfortably be in the ncaa this year. I know the guys who love woodson want th throw it all on the players but the play calling is perplexing. Right now this is basically just like an archie yeah can give you hope for two years from now. I dont see much for next year right now. We literally will lose our only three scorers.

Like ryan ohillips has says no reason this team should not comfortably be in the ncaa this year. I know the guys who love woodson want th throw it all on the players but the play calling is perplexing. Right now this is basically just like an archie yeah can give you hope for two years from now. I dont see much for next year right now. We literally will lose our only three scorers.
When you have B1G level guards that can’t hit a wide open shot you’re screwed. Hard to coach around that.

Defensive philosophy is there as well.

Last edited:
I meant back court, which was obvious in context. Do you feel better this morning?
nope I honestly go through a couple days of depression when the Hoosiers season ends, and from a practical standpoint it ended last night. I will continue watching the rest of the year, but reality has set in

Reactions: bailey777
Sampson got a pretty decent one. Way better guards and similar post. Mike white and DJ are comparable to Race and Trace except DJ could shoot. Aj Ratliff and Xavier Keeling. Arman Bassett. Rodrick willmont.

I think Crean had the worst by far and Davis had the best by far. All others are pretty comparable imo. In fact I would argue that our guards/wings now are as bad as a collective group as I can remember from an offensive standpoint.

I mean at this point I think we are 3-5 games better with Durham and Franklin. Who would have thought that a year ago?

nope I honestly go through a couple days of depression when the Hoosiers season ends, and from a practical standpoint it ended last night. I will continue watching the rest of the year, but reality has set in
I woke up today and thought I would not care anymore but was even more upset that last night there is zero reason this team should not be 9-6 right now. And yes I know it is easy to just blame the players for the super pro Woodson camp but there have been plenty of coaching head scratchers as well like the plays coming out of timeouts late in games. Not putting your shooters in positions to be successful. Letting Race crack up ill advised three pointers when you are up 7 points and could go up 9 or 10. Allowing Galloway to not only shoot the three but take three of them in a game.

I think I probably care more than I should knowing this year is our likely only crack at the NCAA for at least a few more. 85% of our points from last night will all graduate. And anyone who keeps saying we will be better off without TJD needs their heads examined. Yeah a front court of Durr and Geronimo is going to be better than TJD and Race LOL! Unless we land some stud grad transfers this will likely be a bottom five big ten team next year.

That’s the MO here for several years now. We will be better just because someone leaves. The old addition by subtraction idea. We heard it with Johnson, Newkirk, Green, etc., etc.
Correct it has been rinse and repeat the last twenty years. Same old song and dance. We actually have people who say we will be better without TJD!

This is a top 25 roster and should be a top 6 NCAAT seed. This season is inexcusable.

Top 25 teams have balance, shooters, etc.

We should've made the tourney, though. Big whiff for Woodson. Now he's behind the 8 ball for next year.

Reactions: Escalibore
This is a top 25 roster and should be a top 6 NCAAT seed. This season is inexcusable.
The Assembly Hall guys certainly do agree with you they say this has been a disaster. The fact we can built a 25 point lead on the road in Wisconsin proves this team has the talent to make the NCAA.

with the 4 out, 1 in, we may not be wanting a lot of bodies for the frontcourt. The 4 may end up being one of the taller guards.
Agree. The 4 next year is likely a combination of Geronimo/Banks. Probably not going to get much deeper than that. Durr/Duncomb is probably the 5 unless Race or TJD return. Likely look for 1 who can play either spot in the portal again unless Race or TJD return.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Agree. The 4 next year is likely a combination of Geronimo/Banks. Probably not going to get much deeper than that. Durr/Duncomb is probably the 5 unless Race or TJD return. Likely look for 1 who can play either spot in the portal again unless Race or TJD return.
You think twice suspended Durr will be back? I don't really want him back honestly.

You think twice suspended Durr will be back? I don't really want him back honestly.
I am actually with you on being not sure if I want him back now. I actually like what I have seen from him on the court but anyone who gets suspended twice is questionable for me. But I don’t know if he leaves. If Woody hasn’t kicked him off I don’t know if he will ask him to leave.

I am actually with you on being not sure if I want him back now. I actually like what I have seen from him on the court but anyone who gets suspended twice is questionable for me. But I don’t know if he leaves. If Woody hasn’t kicked him off I don’t know if he will ask him to leave.
Usually guys who get multiple suspensions continue to be repeat offenders. He is a pretty recplaceable type of player anyway so I have no issue if they show him the door.

Reactions: Beorik
Usually guys who get multiple suspensions continue to be repeat offenders. He is a pretty recplaceable type of player anyway so I have no issue if they show him the door.
I agree. I am just not certain that they will show him the door.

If there was a contest for the most pessimistic fan, you’d at least have a chance to make the top three with a chance for gold. Congratulations.

Reactions: Florida4IU
If there was a contest for the most pessimistic fan, you’d at least have a chance to make the top three with a chance for gold. Congratulations.
Called being realistic. Look at my posts when we were winning. Far different but mute me if it bothers you so much and you wont have to read. Just mute anyone who isnt unicorns and rainbows after four straight losses.

Reactions: mk24
I'd agree with you, and you know we have different opinions over history, but how did anyone expect this to be the 96 Bulls? I see more effort, not much real improvement, but what can you expect from a horrid team last year? The solution is simple ... recruit, and not recruit on paper. To needs and build a balanced roster, it feels like we've been paying 4M a year for 10 years to eat cold spaghetti, fix it

I don’t think so. Sampson had some good players. Crean had a bare cupboard because most players got kicked off the team. And his first team won like 6 games! He didn’t have a winning record his first few seasons either.

And CAM had a really good Morgan with Davis up front. Also had some decent guards, but certainly nothing amazing. He won 16 games that year and Pretty sure that is when we lost to ISU. Can’t recall any big wins that year against ranked teams either.

So your premise is wrong IMO.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
This could arguably be the best roster leftover from a previous coach but that’s also being the skinniest kid at fat camp. We just went through two coaches who didn’t do shit as far as having a balanced roster.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Called being realistic. Look at my posts when we were winning. Far different but mute me if it bothers you so much and you wont have to read. Just mute anyone who isnt unicorns and rainbows after four straight losses.
Pessimists always defend themselves by calling themselves realistic. It's a thing, but it's not accurate, you're just pessimists.

Pessimists always defend themselves by calling themselves realistic. It's a thing, but it's not accurate, you're just pessimists.
and optimists are sometimes those who are just stoned..... 25 years of nearly consistent misery leaves a fan base naturally pessimistic (or realistic)

I don’t think so. Sampson had some good players. Crean had a bare cupboard because most players got kicked off the team. And his first team won like 6 games! He didn’t have a winning record his first few seasons either.

And CAM had a really good Morgan with Davis up front. Also had some decent guards, but certainly nothing amazing. He won 16 games that year and Pretty sure that is when we lost to ISU. Can’t recall any big wins that year against ranked teams either.

So your premise is wrong IMO.
Sampson first roster would’ve eaten this team up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT