ADVERTISEMENT

Should we take a moment to realize how far we've come in such a short amount of time?

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
Some of my favorites from this thread:

Click on both to see the footage... it's pretty cool

England (not London) and Lyon, France

London and San Fran

Paris and NYC

Amsterdam and Milan

Barcelona and Berlin

Jerusalem (some things never change lol) and Notre Dame

Paris and Chicago

LA and NYC

There are a ton more after this, but I'm out of time.

London and San Fran

Paris and NYC

Amsterdam and Milan

Barcelona and Berlin

Paris and Chicago

LA and NYC

Makes you wonder what our little ones will see in another 90 years. Hell maybe death will be a choice

Makes you wonder what our little ones will see in another 90 years. Hell maybe death will be a choice

Speaking of death, what does humanity face in the next 100 years in terms of war ?

My fond hope is the major power brokers such as businesses and governments will prefer competition in the marketplace versus military confrontations.

What say you?

Speaking of death, what does humanity face in the next 100 years in terms of war ?

My fond hope is the major power brokers such as businesses and governments will prefer competition in the marketplace versus military confrontations.

What say you?
Shoot. Asking the wrong guy. I really don’t follow global affairs hoot

What say you?
When younger, I would have agreed with you. Now I think war might be a universal condition of humanity.

When younger, I would have agreed with you. Now I think war might be a universal condition of humanity.

Brad, you are probably right.

On the other hand, mutual challenges such as global warming might be the type of threat which unites the world community.

Brad, your reference to being younger reminds me of the saying we all are young twice in our lives in terms of being dependent on others.

Guess I am in my second phase of being dependent as proven by the fact my daughter had to cut down all the unwanted foliage in my yard yesterday which had accumulated since Spring.

Reactions: NPT
Two world Wars and an unquenchable thirst for oil made significant changes to the world. Realigned the great financial centers of the world to include the Middle East. Globalism has brought China to the table along with Japan and Korea before them.

The next world war will be fought over (fill in the blank).............

Data?
Energy?

What no picture of the "High Noon Cafe" in Amsterdam from the early 1980's.

London and San Fran

Paris and NYC

Amsterdam and Milan

Barcelona and Berlin

Paris and Chicago

LA and NYC

That pic of SF looks like there is $hit all over the streets. Some things never change.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I tend to agree with you because there will always be greedy and power hungry people in powerful positions and they can never get enough money or enough power.

Two world Wars and an unquenchable thirst for oil made significant changes to the world. Realigned the great financial centers of the world to include the Middle East. Globalism has brought China to the table along with Japan and Korea before them.

The next world war will be fought over (fill in the blank).............

Data?
Energy?
The Entity...Cmon man!

The Entity...Cmon man!
baseball-signal.gif

Mission impossible Dead Reckoning The Entity

And I have to say the next one will prolly be Cruises last MI which will be Dead Reckoning part 2. Watched the TV series growing up and the movie series has been excellent if you're in to espionage spy sh!t. The advanced AI known as the Entity was something every government on the planet wanted to control. Great Stuff and could be a good fill in the blank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and larsIU
We've come so far and yet, this is the bumper sticker on the back of a minivan in the Walmart parking lot when I went to pick up the wife's scripts on Friday...

il_570xN.3486517537_ocvh.jpg

Admittedly, I laughed out loud while the wife showed her disdain.

Had a single gentleman who worked with me claim the hottest dates he ever had where those he met at a church singles club.

This bumper sticker would undoubtedly bring back some fond memories for him. On second thought, the bumper sticker might be his :).

Had a single gentleman who worked with me claim the hottest dates he ever had where those he met at a church singles club.
Car dealer I worked for as a kid came up through the corporate sales ranks with GM before he got his own store. He said he had the most success cruising tent revivals in eastern Kentucky.

London and San Fran

Paris and NYC

Amsterdam and Milan

Barcelona and Berlin

Paris and Chicago

LA and NYC

What say you?

Globally, the value of life has gone up considerably over the past century, which is a good thing. That being said, there will always be conflict and with that, those that don't have political or economic means are likely to resort to violence, as what other options do they have?

Some of what gives me hope is how quickly reconciliation happens now vs. centuries ago. Take for instance, the recent pact between The Philippines and Japan against Chinese aggression.

Now, I'm all for anti-Chinese collaboration, but it's crazy to think about how less than a 100 years ago, Japan was committing atrocities non-stop against Filipinos during their hold over their island. Those sentiments seem to have been forgiven enough vs. the opinions of the Chinese on the Japanese. I digress - if the Filipinos can forgive, it gives hope. I know I wouldn't have been able to.

Globally, the value of life has gone up considerably over the past century, which is a good thing. That being said, there will always be conflict and with that, those that don't have political or economic means are likely to resort to violence, as what other options do they have?

Some of what gives me hope is how quickly reconciliation happens now vs. centuries ago. Take for instance, the recent pact between The Philippines and Japan against Chinese aggression.

Now, I'm all for anti-Chinese collaboration, but it's crazy to think about how less than a 100 years ago, Japan was committing atrocities non-stop against Filipinos during their hold over their island. Those sentiments seem to have been forgiven enough vs. the opinions of the Chinese on the Japanese. I digress - if the Filipinos can forgive, it gives hope. I know I wouldn't have been able to.

My neighbor's kid married a girl from South Korea. He's been over there a few times. He says the Koreans hatred for the Japanese is still alive and well. I'm sure that's true throughout that region.

I feel like I say this too often, but it's worth noting that the world as a whole is more peaceful now than it ever has been in all of known history. We humans suck, but we are obviously moving, somehow, probably accidentally, in the right direction.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Brad, you are probably right.

On the other hand, mutual challenges such as global warming might be the type of threat which unites the world community.

Brad, your reference to being younger reminds me of the saying we all are young twice in our lives in terms of being dependent on others.

Guess I am in my second phase of being dependent as proven by the fact my daughter had to cut down all the unwanted foliage in my yard yesterday which had accumulated since Spring.
Go tomorrow and buy you ( your daughter) a big ass tractor and yard tools !!! You can use them now, but they will be hers later! Buy you what she would like :) . That's always been my theory when building houses. What would she like.....

Reactions: hoot1
In the 1920s a series of movies about the great cities was made. I have seen the Berlin one in its entirety at IU Cinema a couple of years ago, I haven't seen the others. It is phenomenal to see how we have changed. I couldn't find the scene to illustrate it here. But there was a scene of a street, a very large street, with people riding horses, horses pulling wagons, cars, trucks, busses, streetcar, and pedestrians. It was total chaos. If anyone has seen the scenes from Top Gear in Vietnam, it was that chaotic. I did see around the 34:35 mark below people trying to cross a busy road, it looks like Frogger.

Which is the other thing, the sheer number of people. Cities have grown, but the sheer volume of pedestrians was staggering. Of course many didn't have other transport and cities were more compact.

Berlin had an extra bit of sadness, the visions of 7-year-old kids playing in 1927. They had no idea what was so close at hand.

I think they all are at the link below. The Manhattan one is only 7 minutes.

It’s wild the future President of the United States is attending Bitcoin Conference. Life comes at you fast.
It does come at you fast. That’s why it’s so important we stick to the teachings of the Dream Team. Kiss always works. Be informed. Don’t fall for fake news. Find a reliable source and stick with it. For me that’s easy. Clay Travis and Buck Sexton. Protect what’s yours with Title Lock. Have 3 months of food rations. Be armed. Heavily. Keep precious metals AND crypto. For me that’s Bit. Reliable transportation. That means gas. We’ll touch on more at The Annual but it really is basic stuff

Last edited:
In the 1920s a series of movies about the great cities was made. I have seen the Berlin one in its entirety at IU Cinema a couple of years ago, I haven't seen the others. It is phenomenal to see how we have changed. I couldn't find the scene to illustrate it here. But there was a scene of a street, a very large street, with people riding horses, horses pulling wagons, cars, trucks, busses, streetcar, and pedestrians. It was total chaos. If anyone has seen the scenes from Top Gear in Vietnam, it was that chaotic. I did see around the 34:35 mark below people trying to cross a busy road, it looks like Frogger.

Which is the other thing, the sheer number of people. Cities have grown, but the sheer volume of pedestrians was staggering. Of course many didn't have other transport and cities were more compact.

Berlin had an extra bit of sadness, the visions of 7-year-old kids playing in 1927. They had no idea what was so close at hand.

Stl was the 4th largest city in America. World’s Fair was held here. Meet Me in St Louis with the great Judy Garland. But a decision had to be made. Shall we go with rail or steamboats. We chose steamboats and as the story goes Chicago became Chicago and we became what we are today

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

For some reason, my son was looking at worldwide populations the other day. The world only had 1.6 billion people in it in 1900, about the current size of India or China alone. There were 3.7 billion in 1971 and 8 billion today.

He asked me if I noticed the difference, with twice as many people today as then. Interesting question (even though the proper consideration is population density where you live and spend time, not the world).

Stl was the 4th largest city in America. World’s Fair was held here. Meet Me in St Louis with the great Judy Garland. But a decision had to be made. Shall we go with rail or steamboats. We chose steamboats and as the story goes Chicago became Chicago and we became what we are today
Well, according to people I read here, be glad you aren't Chicago.

I wonder how many younger people know that StL was once a place of importance.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
For some reason, my son was looking at worldwide populations the other day. The world only had 1.6 billion people in it in 1900, about the current size of India or China alone. There were 3.7 billion in 1971 and 8 billion today.

He asked me if I noticed the difference, with twice as many people today as then. Interesting question (even though the proper consideration is population density where you live and spend time, not the world).
Let that boy know almost 20 percent of that lives in poverty. As I write this I’m looking at my daughter at her vanity drinking Sbx out of a Stanley applying her sol Janero bullshit cream to her not even 14 yr old face while texting on her iPhone with stranger things reruns playing in the background of her room complaining that no one can drive her friends anywhere today

Let that boy know almost 20 percent of that lives in poverty. As I write this I’m looking at my daughter at her vanity drinking Sbx out of a Stanley applying her sol Janero bullshit cream to her not even 14 yr old face while texting on her iPhone with stranger things reruns playing in the background of her room complaining that no one can drive her friends anywhere today
She is her father's daughter.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT