ADVERTISEMENT

Shit is wild. Pay for play.

I wouldn’t say it’s ALL legal and still think there is some gray area. NCAA rules indicate that NIL deals can’t be contingent on committing to a particular school. Now I think there are ways NIL contracts can be structured to gets around that to a certain degree, but if places get careless or try to push the boundaries too much, there is still a lot of potential for violations
Sh!t pack just said FU to the NCAA. It’s absolutely a rules violation what he did. It’s out in the open. The way this went down is absolutely pay for play. They won’t do anything either.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Will you loathe the off court stuff or the on court games?

The NIL is actually keeping pretty good guys in college. Prior to this, kids were considering G league or Europe or hoping to be a free agent if they didn’t get drafted. Now, more kids will be playing in the NCAA and should make the teams stronger.

I personally love that he chose a non-traditional program. Certainly helps them get better.

on the court, this should help college b-ball as the talent pool is bigger and retained. Off the court, it’s free agency … but was it before too?

my only current complaint is the portal. And it’s complicated to try and fix it. A lot of scenarios. But they could start with some general parameters.
Don’t kid yourself. All this money is going to be a huge distraction in the locker room. Plenty of kids will have trouble handling it, just like in the pros. It will be the have and have nots, player jealousy, etc. It just seems like there could have been a better way to get some money into the hands of these kids, rather than acting like they are free agents in the pros. The end of the innocence for sure.

It's definitely a shell shock seeing it above the table but now we know what programs take their sports seriously. There will be benefits of better basketball with kids sticking around longer so with the bad there will be some good things that also come out of it. We just have to wait and see how things shake out

Don’t kid yourself. All this money is going to be a huge distraction in the locker room. Plenty of kids will have trouble handling it, just like in the pros. It will be the have and have nots, player jealousy, etc. It just seems like there could have been a better way to get some money into the hands of these kids, rather than acting like they are free agents in the pros. The end of the innocence for sure.
Yup, just like playing time has always been a distraction in the locker room. That's life. Why are you trying to cancel college kids making money in a capatilstic market? Don't be so soft.

Yup, just like playing time has always been a distraction in the locker room. That's life. Why are you trying to cancel college kids making money in a capatilstic market? Don't be so soft.
WTF are you talking about? Nobody’s trying to cancel college kids. Dumb.

I wouldn’t say it’s ALL legal and still think there is some gray area. NCAA rules indicate that NIL deals can’t be contingent on committing to a particular school. Now I think there are ways NIL contracts can be structured to gets around that to a certain degree, but if places get careless or try to push the boundaries too much, there is still a lot of potential for violations
Really easy not to violate the rules and get around contingent on playing at said school.

Really easy not to violate the rules and get around contingent on playing at said school.
Yep, but there will be some that still screw it up. A lot of boosters out there that aren’t the brightest bulbs. I think because it’s so easy it will allow people to get careless

Parents about to get worse on the sidelines in high school and travel clubs

Reactions: Mobes
I got your point. There will be some chemistry issues arise here and there. The smart stars will take good care of their team mates.

I got your point. There will be some chemistry issues arise here and there. The smart stars will take good care of their team mates.
So like normal? The point is, these hierarchies have always existed. The only difference is now that payment is out in the open.

Reactions: Mobes
Your DA is whining about something that's already existed. The dynamic is the exact same, so quit crying.

Not sure how people didn’t anticipate this? This is already what we call “semi-pro” ball. It’s not amateur athletics anymore. That’s just a façade that the NCAA puts up. It just legalizes all the stuff that has gone on for years at other places.
This kind of thing already happened with Quinn Ewers, the freshman QB from OSU, who sat behind C,J. Stroud last year, got a $1 million deal out of high school in NIL, and is now at Texas.
The big football schools will dominate the NIL landscape and there are all sorts of ways to get creative with it. IU is already on the outside looking in.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/sports/biggest-nil-deals-in-college-sports/

Reactions: DANC
I don’t entirely disagree, but has that already been happening to an extent and now it’s brought to light? For instance- didn’t Zion have a fancy car or two?

In a weird way, it’s actually a life lessson too. How many of us look around at some colleagues and wonder how in the hell they are making more than us? It’s definitely a dynamic that coaches will have to be aware about, but if they recruit high character guys, discuss a lot of this up front, play for the name on the front, hopefully it doesn’t automatically create an inherent toxic locker room. Could it? Yes definitely. Will it always - hopefully not.

Not sure how people didn’t anticipate this? This is already what we call “semi-pro” ball. It’s not amateur athletics anymore. That’s just a façade that the NCAA puts up. It just legalizes all the stuff that has gone on for years at other places.
This kind of thing already happened with Quinn Ewers, the freshman QB from OSU, who sat behind C,J. Stroud last year, got a $1 million deal out of high school in NIL, and is now at Texas.
The big football schools will dominate the NIL landscape and there are all sorts of ways to get creative with it. IU is already on the outside looking in.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/sports/biggest-nil-deals-in-college-sports/
It was anticipated, now in full view via the media. NCAA will have to manage this or cease to exist. NIL in high school means you go pro route... Equal NIL until after freshman year.

I’m beginning to hate whats left of “college” basketball.

Can a D-3 player get an NIL deal?
Why exactly? More collective talent will be on ncaa courts than any time in the past 20 years. Nijel Pack could’ve gone to an absolute powerhouse, but he chose and average b-ball school due to NIL. I personally prefer that over him going to Kansas or something when there was no NIL.

I think the portal needs fixing. What don’t you like? The nil? The portal?

Reactions: bawlmer
Why exactly? More collective talent will be on ncaa courts than any time in the past 20 years. Nijel Pack could’ve gone to an absolute powerhouse, but he chose and average b-ball school due to NIL. I personally prefer that over him going to Kansas or something when there was no NIL.

The portal transfer rule can solve the wild Wild West portion. That would clean up the crazy bidding for a guy like pack. Take out the 1 free transfer.

No. Take away the immediate transfer. Make them sit unless they are a grad transfer. The no sit rule opened up a big can of worms. Schools can easily outbid for services. It’s against the rules but it’s happening.
I agree for sure. I personally see that more as a portal issue than NIL issue, but there’s some overlap for sure.

The only counter-argument is that Pack committed to KState with Weber. Weber gets fired. He normally would’ve been playing next year. Should he be forced to take a year off at a new school?

What’s also crazy is a kid like Dawson Garcia - now I feel for him and understand that he moved back home to be closer to family for health reasons. But he’s on his third school in 3 years.

There are a lot of scenarios with this portal.

When kids make more than assistants, they will become uncoachable.

When helicopter parents and street agents feel their meal ticket is being played wrongly, not enough touches, etc., it will get ugly.

Talent isn’t enough.

I never thought about the possibility of the NIL keeping the good players in college, which makes the college game better. I always thought it would take the NBA adopting the MLB college baseball rule. NIL deals can be better than Europe, the G-League, or even going later in the draft.

The NCAA is weird. So many adults earn their living from college sports, and college sports generate so much revenue (advertising, merchandise, ticket sales, etc.). Unpaid college students were generating all of this wealth and kind of being used. I can't get mad at college athletes for getting paid after adults use them to earn money. Hell, college students in general get used by so many adults for money: it is kind of messed up.
Except none of that specific revenue gained from the slave labor of student-athletes is actually going *to* the slaves, right? Duke basketball will still make $1 billion per year and what the players can scrape together will be provided by sources *other than* the university.

Grievances NOT redressed.

When helicopter parents and street agents feel their meal ticket is being played wrongly, not enough touches, etc., it will get ugly.

Talent isn’t enough.
TJD will make more than all of our assistants next year if he returns.

Except none of that specific revenue gained from the slave labor of student-athletes is actually going *to* the slaves, right? Duke basketball will still make $1 billion per year and what the players can scrape together will be provided by sources *other than* the university.

Grievances NOT redressed.
Well, NIL is certainly a start.

Talent isn’t enough.
I understand what you’re saying, but still think a lot of these kids, if they have the right character, they are coachable. Just like in pros.

LOL. Take it to the IU “football” forum.

How about this? How about the guys who aren’t getting NIL deals NOT SUCK? Because, honestly, does anyone really give a shit which tire dealership Logan Duncomb encourages you to use?

And if they can’t help but suck, then deal with it like grown men.

TJD will make more than all of our assistants next year if he returns.
So I guess that means TJD will make 400k+ if he stays? Do you have any idea roughly how much (a range) our rotation guys (X, TG, Race, Kopp etc) are making with the NIL?
I keep reading about the guys hitting NIL home runs but have no idea what “regular“ rotation guys are making at IU.
Are we competitive $$$ ?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT