ADVERTISEMENT

Shit is wild. Pay for play.

I think that’s how it worked with the first round of deals, but the organization has since received non-profit status, so you can make payments directly to Hoosiers for Good that are tax deductible. Although, I think still they predominantly act as an intermediary between the boosters and charities. You give to hoosiers for good, and then they decide how distribute it to charities
Yes. Think United Way.

Spoken like a man who never paid for 4 years of college, or a 2 year grad program, or a law school or med school.

College players were never slaves or unpaid labor. And it pisses me off that a SCOTUS judge said they were unpaid. I was hoping only really smart people got on that court.
College players without the college name attached are worth what the G league pays.

Nobody is paying Nijel Pack $400k a year to play for the Pensacola Marlins. I think it will be wild west for awhile and it will either calm down or blow up NCAA basketball.

Then we'll find out how much all of this is really worth. I am not watching a club team personally. If this team were the Bloomington Cutters I wouldn't give 2 sh*ts about it.

OK, I"m ignorant - of the Hoosiers For Good.

Can you explain how it works?

Does IU negotiate the NIL deals for the players?
Outside of IU. IU athletes are spokespeople for specific charities to raise $$ for the charity. Athletes receive compensation. You and I donate to the charities via HFG

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
It sounds that way to you because you desperately need it to.

Stick to giving out gift cards for nasty food at XXX early admission to the sheep barn on date night and you guys will be fine.
He isn't necessarily wrong. NIL comes out and suddenly all these charities pop up all over the country offering 6 figure deals to athletes to be spokespeople. Come on. That may be the game now but we all know what this is.

The whole point of those charities is to get money into the pockets of players. Period. They can say whatever they want but none of us are or have to play stupid. The NCAA said that these deals aren't supposed to be contingent on where a player goes. The Miami attorney just said he is doing that. Otherwise why would Pack not accept every single "offer" thrown his way and then go where he wants?

"College" basketball is a semipro league now. Hope the players are ready for everything that means. I don't have any problems booing the performance of a guy making 6 figures to play basketball if he performs poorly. I don't want to hear anything about these "just being kids" anymore either. This is strictly business. Perform or move on...just like the pros.

He isn't necessarily wrong. NIL comes out and suddenly all these charities pop up all over the country offering 6 figure deals to athletes to be spokespeople. Come on. That may be the game now but we all know what this is.

The whole point of those charities is to get money into the pockets of players. Period. They can say whatever they want but none of us are or have to play stupid. The NCAA said that these deals aren't supposed to be contingent on where a player goes. The Miami attorney just said he is doing that. Otherwise why would Pack not accept every single "offer" thrown his way and then go where he wants?

"College" basketball is a semipro league now. Hope the players are ready for everything that means. I don't have any problems booing the performance of a guy making 6 figures to play basketball if he performs poorly. I don't want to hear anything about these "just being kids" anymore either. This is strictly business. Perform or move on...just like the pros.
So what? It’s still a charity doing some good. One begat the other. Don’t hate the player hat the game. NCAA athletes and universities are just competing for market share. It might just make the game better.

They were never kids. X race and tjd will be 23 this year. Kopp 24. I was a grown ass man at 24 who had already lost my dad and quit drinking.

So what? It’s still a charity doing some good. One begat the other. Don’t hate the player hat the game. NCAA athletes and universities are just competing for market share. It might just make the game better.
I am kind of hating the game. The system is in place now and if you want to compete you have to play. That doesn't mean that everything I said is untrue.

Take the "charity" set up by Fred Glass's new employer. It would be extremely interesting to see their finances. How much is being given to the players to promote the "charity" (which to me appears to be nothing more than a hiring firm that then sends the players out as ambassadors to talk at events...which isn't really worth much of anything) and how much is spent on the actual charity they are promoting.

The original poster got taken to task about this basically being a scheme to just give players money. It is. I don't know why people feel the need to shy away from that fact. The NCAA made paying players "legal". There are big tax implications to the giver if their contribution is considered a gift. So we set up these fake ass charities to give players gifts and avoid the tax penalties on gifts over $15k (or around there, it may be higher now) a year.

I never said Indiana should not play the game, but I am not going to deny what is clearly going on here because IU is involved. Seriously, this stinks, I hope there is a way the feds get involved and smash it. This takes money away from real charities to overpay kids to put a ball through a hoop. I think TJD's "charity" was like violence reduction among kids in Indy. That is a worthwhile charity. But what do you think is more helpful, paying TJD 6 figures to come out and talk to the kids a few times or taking the actual 6 figures and investing in things like tutors or after school activities. You and I know the answer to that. So given that is the case, it is clear that the only charity involved in that case is charitably filling the pockets of the biological son of a former NBA star and the adopted son of a former NFL player.

Sure, take advantage IU. You have to in order to land players, win games, and keep the fans happy. Still doesn't mean this doesn't stink to high heaven.

They were never kids. X race and tjd will be 23 this year. Kopp 24. I was a grown ass man at 24 who had already lost my dad and quit drinking.
Yeah, keep that same energy when they are losing games and getting murdered on social media. There has definitely been a "don't boo or say things to the 'kids'" mentality around college sports for a long time. That made sense when they were just scholarship athletes, it doesn't anymore.

Good on the kids for cashing in on a bunch of knuckleheads who are overpaying them for what they truly bring. It doesn't cost me anything...but this is dumb. I get it, take advantage and all that, but the reality is that this shit should just be shut down. Kill college athletics, make these club teams, and then let these guys enjoy $37k (or less) contracts to be club players. They won't be on TV, they will be minor league baseball where they are a distraction in small cities on a winter night.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Yeah, keep that same energy when they are losing games and getting murdered on social media. There has definitely been a "don't boo or say things to the 'kids'" mentality around college sports for a long time. That made sense when they were just scholarship athletes, it doesn't anymore.

Good on the kids for cashing in on a bunch of knuckleheads who are overpaying them for what they truly bring. It doesn't cost me anything...but this is dumb. I get it, take advantage and all that, but the reality is that this shit should just be shut down. Kill college athletics, make these club teams, and then let these guys enjoy $37k (or less) contracts to be club players. They won't be on TV, they will be minor league baseball where they are a distraction in small cities on a winter night.
We will all see where this ends up. Some things need fixed . I would start with the transfer portal. If they don’t go back to making players sit out a year in order to be eligible to play, it is going to get real ugly. To be honest it already isn’t ideal.
Then I would do the same with grad transfers.

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Your opinion is not shared by the millions of college basketball fans. All numbers are trending upwards as far as ratings. By all accounts this will help the game tremendously. It will not slow down because some people think the athletes should not get paid, I promise you.

IU posted the best first 4 rating ever (no surprise there). BTW if you watch the game in any fashion it is costing you. Dont get it twisted you pay to watch them play, just a matter of how much.

Reactions: hozo4ultimate
Which part are you taking issue with?
What the players are getting is income and will be taxed as such. People donate to charities (which is the tax deductible component), and those charities then use some portion of that money for players to do promotional work as an independent contractor. And it’s not fake charities, very real long-standing charities are benefiting. The only new thing is a intermediary organization that helps facilitate the donations, which operates much like the United Way.

Your opinion is not shared by the millions of college basketball fans. All numbers are trending upwards as far as ratings. By all accounts this will help the game tremendously. It will not slow down because some people think the athletes should not get paid, I promise you.

IU posted the best first 4 rating ever (no surprise there). BTW if you watch the game in any fashion it is costing you. Dont get it twisted you pay to watch them play, just a matter of how much.

All numbers trending upwards since when?

They pushed the tournament off of CBS and moved it to places like TruTV where people have to pay to watch. Have you checked out the number of people cutting the cord lately?

I like to watch Indiana and I like to win. So whatever, you all can do your thing. I'm not convinced that a market that values Nijel flipping Pack's value at $400k/year to be a real viable market. It is burning your money. Which free country, have at it.

We'll see how it goes.

I could see another fracture in the divisions though, because at a certain point the cost of this is going to be higher than most universities will be able or want to incur. If Big Money donor is dumping a couple million into paying players on the football and basketball team, he or she is not dumping that money into the athletic department as a whole.

I know you are all in on this. It is what it is and Indiana has to play or fall behind. That being said, this whole set up is a ****ing joke.

What the players are getting is income and will be taxed as such. People donate to charities (which is the tax deductible component), and those charities then use some portion of that money for players to do promotional work as an independent contractor. And it’s not fake charities, very real charities long-standing are benefiting. The only new thing is a intermediary organization that helps facilitate the donations, which operates much like the United Way.
Yeah, like I said, fake ass charitable intermediary organizations whose goal and purpose is to put money into players pockets and avoid the IRS gift tax. There is a reason all these organizations suddenly appeared when paying players became "legal" per NCAA rules.

Again, explain how the charities are benefiting to the 6 figure tune that Race and Trayce are receiving. Explain how that several hundred thousand dollars is better being served in their pockets as opposed to a donation to the charity. It isn't, because the goal of Fred's organization is to get those two money and do it in a way that appears to not be a gift, because donors have to pay taxes on a gift but they don't have to pay taxes on charitable contributions. No, they get to deduct those. It's a scam. A legal scam (at the moment), but still a scam.

We will all see where this ends up. Some things need fixed . I would start with the transfer portal. If they don’t go back to making players sit out a year in order to be eligible to play, it is going to get real ugly. To be honest it already isn’t ideal.
Then I would do the same with grad transfers.
Yeah the transfer portal needs to go back to the way it was.

Yeah, like I said, fake ass charitable intermediary organizations whose goal and purpose is to put money into players pockets and avoid the IRS gift tax. There is a reason all these organizations suddenly appeared when paying players became "legal" per NCAA rules.

Again, explain how the charities are benefiting to the 6 figure tune that Race and Trayce are receiving. Explain how that several hundred thousand dollars is better being served in their pockets as opposed to a donation to the charity. It isn't, because the goal of Fred's organization is to get those two money and do it in a way that appears to not be a gift, because donors have to pay taxes on a gift but they don't have to pay taxes on charitable contributions. No, they get to deduct those. It's a scam. A legal scam (at the moment), but still a scam.
Man yells at cloud.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

That fake ass charity has 501 (c) (3) status so yell at Biden.

All numbers trending upwards since when?
All numbers since the internet. LOL. half of these ratings are pre 85, or pre me. You know Duke UNC got 16 Mil views and it wasn't even on CBS?? That is insane

Screams at ocean for making noise all night.
All numbers since the internet. LOL. half of these ratings are pre 85, or pre me. You know Duke UNC got 16 Mil views and it wasn't even on CBS?? That is insane
Hell the IU vs Purdue games set records on Fox. Why not switch them to some paid channels. People buy it. Smart move as people start piece mealing services.

Reactions: Cavanagh
So the numbers are trending up even though they are down. Got it.

You are wrong by the way. Even with your internet cut off. They have remained mostly in the 17m to 20M range lately which is down from the turn of the century which was down from the early 90's. The overall trend has been down.

Hell the IU vs Purdue games set records on Fox. Why not switch them to some paid channels. People buy it. Smart move as people start piece mealing services.

So the numbers are trending up even though they are down. Got it.

You are wrong by the way. Even with your internet cut off. They have remained mostly in the 17m to 20M range lately which is down from the turn of the century which was down from the early 90's. The overall trend has been down.
The amount of money involved is astronomical. To compare to the 80s or 90s is just asinine. Money is MUCH more important than ratings. The overall trend is that MONEY has trended to ungodly levels.

I’d like to reiterate how much I love the new rules. This is a great thing for IUBB.

IUFB… not so much haha

I feel like NIL will have less of an impact football, and if anything could help a program like IU. Not every player atOSU or Alabama will get big NIL deals, just too many players on football teams. On the whole, IUs football NIL deals will be a lot less, but some targeted money could put IU in play with some players that might normally not consider IU. There is a certain draw of being on a national title contender even if a minor rotational player, but that starts to decrease if there is real money on the table elsewhere.

What the players are getting is income and will be taxed as such. People donate to charities (which is the tax deductible component), and those charities then use some portion of that money for players to do promotional work as an independent contractor. And it’s not fake charities, very real long-standing charities are benefiting. The only new thing is a intermediary organization that helps facilitate the donations, which operates much like the United Way.
HFG is not like the United Way. Give it up.

The United Way collects money for charity and then distributes it (money!) to the charities. It is an aggregator.

HFG collects "charitable" contributions and uses it so that:

IU student athletes become an influential voice for charitable causes. Our community thrives.

The charities don't get money like they do from the United Way. All the money goes to the players. The actual charities get the players.

To say this is the same as the United Way is a flat out lie.

The amount of money involved is astronomical. To compare to the 80s or 90s is just asinine. Money is MUCH more important than ratings. The overall trend is that MONEY has trended to ungodly levels.
You are changing your argument and moving goal posts. What do you believe that money is based on? ESPN just throws money out there for shits and giggles? No, they get locked into the long term contracts on the idea that eyes will follow. ESPN had that money available to throw around based on cable contracts. The BTN has money based on cable contracts. Again, I would like to point out to you that cord cutting is accelerating. ESPN and BTN will not get to piggy back off of people who are buying cable for different channels and are forced to buy them as part of the same package. There is a reason that ESPN has laid off the number of people they have over the past 5 years.

I would not count on that money being as available to things like the BTN or ESPN forever.

I feel like NIL will have less of an impact football, and if anything could help a program like IU. Not every player atOSU or Alabama will get big NIL deals, just too many players on football teams. On the whole, IUs football NIL deals will be a lot less, but some targeted money could put IU in play with some players that might normally not consider IU. There is a certain draw of being on a national title contender even if a minor rotational player, but that starts to decrease if there is real money on the table elsewhere.
I think you may be underestimating the amount of dollar that will go into football NIL. Texas has already signed a deal where every lineman (starter and non starter) on both sides of the ball will get $150k per year.

I could see teams like Alabama getting 100+ top end recruits where they used to be limited to the 85 scholarship limit.

Hoosiers for good is an organization created by Fred Glass that partners IU athletes with charities, players get compensated for doing promotional work for those charities, with booster donations funding the whole thing. The master stroke is that it makes payments to players tax deductible
Interesting. I guess this way players don't have to shill for outside money unless they want to.

I guess my question would be, how much are the players being paid - by percentage of the donation? A flat amount by the charity?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT