ADVERTISEMENT

Sheridan

Sheridan looks and reminds me of that loser character Ethan in the Slackers movie! Id do a side by side pic comparison, but I cant get the links to work!

For the don't be mean to Penix crowd how bad would he have to play for you to concede that maybe he's not the guy anymore? When presented with a Big Ten Defense Penix didn't magically turn into superman. I'm sure Sheridan has room for growth but if you have a disfunctional quarterback out thre in today's game you don't have a chance. Now it seems probable that Tuttle is getting thrown out there in a must-win situation. I get why you stick with Penix after Week 3 but at this point how can you hold out any more? (He might be out anyway but assuming he's healthy??)

As to the Sheridan is DeBord talking point, I think people are falsely correlating outcome / output with scheme. (Grunts) Low score = DeBord! High score = DeBoer. I'm sure there are some things Sheridan has taken from DeBord but earlier this week James Franklin characterized Sheridan as a continuation of DeBoer. Franklin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who says things just to say them. It's a lost cause though as I can see people are going to go to that talking point literally every week the offense doesn't play that well.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
For the don't be mean to Penix crowd how bad would he have to play for you to concede that maybe he's not the guy anymore? When presented with a Big Ten Defense Penix didn't magically turn into superman. I'm sure Sheridan has room for growth but if you have a disfunctional quarterback out thre in today's game you don't have a chance. Now it seems probable that Tuttle is getting thrown out there in a must-win situation. I get why you stick with Penix after Week 3 but at this point how can you hold out any more? (He might be out anyway but assuming he's healthy??)

As to the Sheridan is DeBord talking point, I think people are falsely correlating outcome / output with scheme. (Grunts) Low score = DeBord! High score = DeBoer. I'm sure there are some things Sheridan has taken from DeBord but earlier this week James Franklin characterized Sheridan as a continuation of DeBoer. Franklin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who says things just to say them. It's a lost cause though as I can see people are going to go to that talking point literally every week the offense doesn't play that well.
Don’t believe anything an opposing coach says about your team before the game.

Sheridan’s the OC, Daddy. If the offense doesn’t perform, that’s on him.

Don’t believe anything an opposing coach says about your team before the game.

Sheridan’s the OC, Daddy. If the offense doesn’t perform, that’s on him.
You're diverting away from the point I was making. In terms of scheme and tendency what specifically makes Sheridan more like DeBord than DeBoer?

You cannot deny that running the ball up the middle on 7 of 8 first half first downs we’re not straight out of the DeBord play book. I watched the Fresno St. game last night and what a lot of fun it was to see the Deboer offense again. Maybe saw one run up the middle on first down. All the rest were designed to keep the defense off balance. The PSU offense was keying on the run on first down and then bringing pressure on second and long all night. That is the DeBord game and we stuck with it until we were so far down that we had to try something else.

I am not versed enough to know if poor OL play causes his great plans to go out the window or it’s his poor scheme hurting OL play, but if IU’s offense was maybe even 50% of how defense is playing, think we are all feeling differently about this team & season.

Coach Allen is NOT stupid or Blind, pretty sure he knows there is a problem on that side of the ball. Just not sure any coach makes big changes mid-season.

One optimistic view: playing MD, Rutgers, PU will be different than Iowa, PSU & Cinci. Tuttle may be a much better game manager, and if so, a better rested IU D may help us win more games ahead.

You cannot deny that running the ball up the middle on 7 of 8 first half first downs we’re not straight out of the DeBord play book. I watched the Fresno St. game last night and what a lot of fun it was to see the Deboer offense again. Maybe saw one run up the middle on first down. All the rest were designed to keep the defense off balance. The PSU offense was keying on the run on first down and then bringing pressure on second and long all night. That is the DeBord game and we stuck with it until we were so far down that we had to try something else.
Yeah the OC is in way over his head. No feel for the game, no adjustments, no take what the D is giving you, no creativity.

It’s allot like there is an attitude of we are going to call what we think will work cause we are better and more physical than you and clearly we are not. We should throw 7 figures at some up and coming OC who gets it and get them here by Monday or the season is wasted and a really good defensive year will be lost.

The run up the middle bs is so middle school football and everyone knows it’s coming so it ain’t gonna work. I cannot believe Allen is not taking over or taking away the playing calling. It’s as simple as, hey coach, you like your job, don’t you run that more than once a game on first down or your outta here.

Reactions: IUgradman
Sheridan is doing Penix no favors with running between the tackles darn near every first down. You Can count on one hand and have digits to spare on the number of times last night IU was in anything better than 2nd/7. Consistently being “behind schedule” or not in “3rd/Manageable” on down/distance is where this offensive scheme has put IU, allowing D’s to absolutely know what’s coming and teeing off!!

Someone in another thread said he didn’t think Sheridan was necessarily calling a Deboard type game, but this is exactly what he has been doing (without having Stevie Scott to lean on on 1st down runs). DeBoer in only 1 spring seemed to learn what weapons he had available and how to use them to “stay on schedule” for down/distance…receiver screens, quick slants, throws to backs, then go over the top.

Finally, and maybe the most maddening is that many of the same guys who played in ‘19 on a very effective O are still here and seemingly have regressed…MP (see drastic decline in completion %), Jones (quite obvious), Bedford, Fry, Hendershot.

Reactions: IUgradman
I agree about the tendency to run on first down, I pointed that out weeks ago. But I need more than that to concede that Sheridan's play-calling is 'more like DeBord'. I'm willing to be convinced but at this point I've concluded it's just a talking point people have latched onto where they simply correlate poor offensive production with DeBord (but are unable to provide specific schematic examples).

For some reason there is this mythology about DeBord that he runs an antiquated pro-style offense - they were complaining about it at Tennessee before he ever called a play lol. I watched some tape from 2018 and honestly I don't see a huge difference between DeBoer and DeBord in terms of scheme. There are differences obviously but the big thing is execution and attention to detail. DeBoer has concepts that build on each other which I've always been a huge fan of. It doesn't matter how good the scheme is if you can't teach it to people and I think that's where a lot of the separation exists - DeBoer is an elite teacher.

Obviously zero points in a game is not acceptable for an Offense. Sheridan would be the first to tell you that. I still believe Sheridan can be a good OC and feel strongly that the offense will be more functional with Tuttle under center. I get the loyalty to Penix. I'm not mad about it. I was hoping with everyone else he would have a big game yesterday and prove the naysayers wrong. But it's just not there right now. It's easy to scapegoat Sheridan but I personally need more data.

Anyway big game on the 16th! Go Hoosiers!!

The ball will be in CTA's court after the season. I am not going to blame him for the occasional bad hire, because I think he has made a lot of good hires in the process. Heck his last two coordinators are now head coaches elsewhere. Especially for a defensive guy who given his age really doesn't have a ton of head coaching experience, missing on a few offensive hires isn't very surprising. Ryan Day is learning that same lesson with defense, the only difference is Ryan Day has 4 and 5 stars to mask the fact that OSU has a really bad DC. But where we go from here is all on CTA.

I didn't have any problem keeping Sheridan as OC after last year, the offense was successful enough and it was a tough year to be a first time OC. I thought Hiller should've been fired after last year, but for similar reasons to Sheridan I understood keeping him on. at this point though, it's clear that Hiller should be looking for a new job and CTA needs to bring in a more experienced more proven OC, not some kid he wants to give a chance. I do think that Sheridan has recruited well and seems to have a strong rapport with the QB's so I don't think he needs to be fired as QB coach, but as many of you have said he's in over his head as an OC.

CTA needs to let these guys go at the end of the year, plain and simple. I've never been a big fan of firing assistants in the middle of the year, unless they are clearly losing the respect of their players. I think it will only bring more chaos and it would be easier for hiring purposes to just wait until the offseason. But if Sheridan is still calling plays next year and Hiller is back at all, my opinion of CTA will start to take a dive. Bad hires are okay(on occasion) but you have to be able to recognize them and make the necessary decisions to make this football team better.

You're diverting away from the point I was making. In terms of scheme and tendency what specifically makes Sheridan more like DeBord than DeBoer?
I haven't made schematic comparisons to prior IU OCs and, frankly, I think they're irrelevant. Sheridan should be judged on his own merits.

Our offense is putrid. Sheridan is the CEO of that group. If his seat isn't already very hot, it needs to be.

Also, isn't his specific area of expertise supposed to be quarterbacks? Is it wrong for me to think that perhaps some of Penix's issues this season pertain to coaching. We know the kid has talent. Couldn't/shouldn't a Quarterback Whisperer be coaching him up?

We were shut out yesterday for the first time since 2000. Even during the dark years of DiNardo we managed to put at least some points on the board each game. This is disgraceful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT