ADVERTISEMENT

Well we reached the point, the best I can do is apathy towards IU basketball

Carib04

Freshman
Mar 20, 2011
Yea I'm an old guy, graduated in 1982. So I have actually seen championship basketball up close. This ain't it. It's sad that I could see what was happening starting about half way through the first half. You could see a steady slide. Same mistakes, same lack of shooting and the same single speed playing. Didn't raise emotion in me today and that's the sad part I no longer care.

Yea I'm an old guy, graduated in 1982. So I have actually seen championship basketball up close. This ain't it. It's sad that I could see what was happening starting about half way through the first half. You could see a steady slide. Same mistakes, same lack of shooting and the same single speed playing. Didn't raise emotion in me today and that's the sad part I no longer care.
I checked the score 10 mins past the hour for final score.. Said Ha to myself then went on doing what I was doing.

Reactions: Carib04
You could say I’m enthusiastically apathetic.

Honestly....I cannot watch IU basketball anymore, because it insults my intelligence. I check scores, catch moments on TV during games....but I am not invested in the games anymore. I think I am being taken for granted to follow a program that lost its way a long, long time ago. It isn't the players...and it isn't even the coaches. Its the group of decision makers who are firmly rooted in calling the shots. They either don't care about results; or worse, they do care, and approve of the results. The IU basketball tradition is mortgaged to the hilt. The equity was milked out of it 20 years ago. You can't recruit the "program" anymore. There isn't a program to sell. It requires something else....a coach that today's players want to play for...and tomorrow's players for that matter. The last four or five coaches could recruit "program" with diminishing returns. Now there aren't any returns left. It will take "coach" that is a game-changing shaker and mover.

IU basketball used to be must watch TV. To the point my wife used to even ask me if IU played before she made any plans for us. The last three games? I click on various sport websites and say to myself, “I didn’t even kno IU was playing today”. That’s where I’m at in my life

Honestly....I cannot watch IU basketball anymore, because it insults my intelligence. I check scores, catch moments on TV during games....but I am not invested in the games anymore. I think I am being taken for granted to follow a program that lost its way a long, long time ago. It isn't the players...and it isn't even the coaches. Its the group of decision makers who are firmly rooted in calling the shots. They either don't care about results; or worse, they do care, and approve of the results. The IU basketball tradition is mortgaged to the hilt. The equity was milked out of it 20 years ago. You can't recruit the "program" anymore. There isn't a program to sell. It requires something else....a coach that today's players want to play for...and tomorrow's players for that matter. The last four or five coaches could recruit "program" with diminishing returns. Now there aren't any returns left. It will take "coach" that is a game-changing shaker and mover.
It's basically 1971 again

It would not suck
Are there any more 30 year old “sleepers” flying underneath the radar…someone with a no-nonsense approach to the game of basketball, motivated and with the ability to motivate others…someone physically attractive, very knowledgeable, rooted in Mid-western values, loyal, and with good communication skills?

Personally, I think I just got lucky as a junior at IU in 1971. IU did, too…too lucky for it the ever be expected to happen to IU again.

Are there any more 30 year old “sleepers” flying underneath the radar…someone with a no-nonsense approach to the game of basketball, motivated and with the ability to motivate others…someone physically attractive, very knowledgeable, rooted in Mid-western values, loyal, and with good communication skills?

Personally, I think I just got lucky as a junior at IU in 1971. IU did, too…too lucky for it the ever be expected to happen to IU again.
The next hire needs to be someone that’s a virtual lock to be successful, at IU.

Matta
Beard
Donovan
Stevens

I listed them in order of likelihood we could get them. Any of them would be very successful at IU. Dolson tried hard for Stevens, maybe last time it was just a timing issue?

No matter what, don’t reach on someone like May, or Schertz… if you can get Matta, or if you get the ok to go after Beard…just go get one of them and enjoy a successful IU program for the first time in almost 30 years.

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
It's basically 1971 again
When they fired Knight, I heard some people say things like "Indiana is a blue blood program and deserves a coach who doesn't embarass the university ".

To that I thought, "are they aware that the reason it is a blue blood is because of Knight?". Knight, McCracken and Dean account for about 90% of the program's value, Knight getting about 50-60% of the total.

And probably a different AD and BOT?

This is where I am.

How can a guy that played for CRMK not have learned anything about coaching. Musta been toking too while ratting the others out.

• Angry
Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
The next hire needs to be someone that’s a virtual lock to be successful, at IU.

Matta
Beard
Donovan
Stevens

I listed them in order of likelihood we could get them. Any of them would be very successful at IU. Dolson tried hard for Stevens, maybe last time it was just a timing issue?

No matter what, don’t reach on someone like May, or Schertz… if you can get Matta, or if you get the ok to go after Beard…just go get one of them and enjoy a successful IU program for the first time in almost 30 years.
As radically changed as college basketball has become since Covid, I don't think anyone coaching today is a virtual lock to be successful at IU. I remember when Knght's later teams suffered some unfortunate flameouts in the post season tourney. Lots of people thought other, younger, kinder coaches would be virtual locks to be successful at IU. Assumptions can be risky business in the hiring process.

Reactions: Jssanto
What took you so long? I haven’t watched a complete game since December and several games in January I didn’t realize IU had even played a game the night before. I could see this blowing up when B10 season began so I kept my distance and my interest dropped to Archie’s final season level.

How can a guy that played for CRMK not have learned anything about coaching. Musta been toking too while ratting the others out.
IMO ... this kind of comment is the bane of this board. Zero basketball IQ and off the chart unfactual. Oh, I know, humor, but as they say ... "in the eye of the beholder" and by this eye its BS

IMO ... this kind of comment is the bane of this board. Zero basketball IQ and off the chart unfactual. Oh, I know, humor, but as they say ... "in the eye of the beholder" and by this eye its BS
I was confused by the post also. No fact I have ever heard to support his statement.

The sad thing for me is if IU could have guarded the 3 in the first half it would have been a blow out for IU.

I don't really know beans about him, but love what limited things I've heard and read about the guy at ISU. If I'm Dolson, I'm doing some background work right down the road. Here's a background article. He's 48:

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
I’m 38.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT