ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

The Arboretum is gorgeous. I loved walking through there on my way to class.

it's very nice, and would be a signature green space on many campuses, but it doesn't compare to The Crescent, (woods southeast of Sample Gates area), or the area south of the Lilly Library and Woodburn.

today's students have no point of reference to how cool that area looked when the stadium was there, and you looked into the open end of the horseshoe as you walked between 10th and 7th, and saw the bikers or whomever was using the field at the time.

would have been very cool to have seen the soccer team practicing or playing in there.

and what a recruiting plus for soccer it would have been.

never will buy the couldn't be fixed thing. they can fix anything, and when the administration is selling "too expensive", that's just code for "we don't want this".

i'm guessing the administration's lust for that prime piece of land to eventually build on, was the big factor.

the arboretum is a much easier sell to eventually build on, than a historic campus icon classic stadium fixed up and housing an elite soccer team would have been.

Reactions: vesuvius13
What IS kind of funny is I thought you were yanking our chain with that picture of the tower in the arboretum.......I didn't realize that design had been approved.....that's going to be 162' tall, compared to 91' for the Metz Carillon. For purposes of comparison, Purdue's Tower is 160' and BSU's Shafer Tower is 150'......so it will be noticed......I hope it's a good look.
Ooops. I thought it was the Metz Carillon (except I didn't know the name of it). I knew they were taking it down and thought that was a picture of it.

If there's not one there now, why the hell would we want to be like Ball State, much less Purdue. Ugh.

I love the Arboretum. It's a great place to walk through and sit when it's warmer out. No, I am not a paid booster (I wish).
If I were actually paid for the number of times IGW has accused me of being a paid member of the athletic department, I would be a billionaire.

Reactions: MrBing
If I were actually paid for the number of times IGW has accused me of being a paid member of the athletic department, I would be a billionaire.

show me one.

you can't, and know it.

deliberate lie, every time you spew it.

i have said you are here to represent the administration, and good luck with convincing anyone here otherwise.

what your exact situation is, i know not.

but we all know what your purpose is.

Reactions: Panther4ever89
it's very nice, and would be a signature green space on many campuses, but it doesn't compare to The Crescent, (woods southeast of Sample Gates area), or the area south of the Lilly Library and Woodburn.

today's students have no point of reference to how cool that area looked when the stadium was there, and you looked into the open end of the horseshoe as you walked between 10th and 7th, and saw the bikers or whomever was using the field at the time.

would have been very cool to have seen the soccer team practicing or playing in there.

never will buy the couldn't be fixed thing. they can fix anything, and when the administration is selling "too expensive", that's just code for "we don't want this".

i'm guessing the administration's lust for that prime piece of land to eventually build on, was the big factor.

the arboretum is a much easier sell to eventually build on, than a historic campus icon classic stadium fixed up and housing an elite soccer team would have been.

The IU campus has a number of beautiful areas, which is why it is almost universally regarded as one of the nicest in America.

I'm pretty sure "too expensive" is code for "too expensive".
I realize that in your world, people do or don't do things to fulfill conspiracies that you dream up but never define but in the real world, people weigh the cost of doing something versus the benefit. If benefit outweighs cost, they do it and if cost outweighs benefit, they don't. In this case the dozens- if not hundreds- of people who helped make that decision concluded that the cost of rebuilding 10th Street Stadium was more than the benefit. In other words it was "too expensive".

Via gradman...

D247D628-5DF7-4973-9891-353777C6213E.jpeg.fe1873eac9379a54130f18e803946dc4.jpeg

074CC28D-C97D-4F97-BFB9-02420E303C28.jpeg.1dad44c28593e44f596199327548fea9.jpeg

It appears that the two pillars on either side of the "square" are squared off on top. Is there some statue planned for the top of them that anyone knows of?

I still would love to see a herd of bronze bison in front of the opening.

It appears that the two pillars on either side of the "square" are squared off on top. Is there some statue planned for the top of them that anyone knows of?

It’s to distinguish where the entry plaza is. There is supposed to be some kind of public art though.

Ooops. I thought it was the Metz Carillon (except I didn't know the name of it). I knew they were taking it down and thought that was a picture of it.

If there's not one there now, why the hell would we want to be like Ball State, much less Purdue. Ugh.

It's a very dramatic change being made without much discussion.

I read where the grad tower portion of the library is 11 stories high......so this tower is 40-50 feet taller than that?

Now I understand the library site is much higher than the spot where the tower is planned.........I'm just pointing out that a 162' tower in the middle of campus is a big deal......in the renderings it looked pretty jarring........I hope it looks great in real life.

It's a very dramatic change being made without much discussion.

I read where the grad tower portion of the library is 11 stories high......so this tower is 40-50 feet taller than that?

Now I understand the library site is much higher than the spot where the tower is planned.........I'm just pointing out that a 162' tower in the middle of campus is a big deal......in the renderings it looked pretty jarring........I hope it looks great in real life.
Don't forget the library is sinking because they didn't take into account the weight of the books...... ;)

One of the great urban legends......

Now we can get into a "Ours is larger than yours" argument with PU and BSU. Whoopee.

I think the pillars you are referring to are glass. I don’t think there will be anything on top of them.

I think the pillars you are referring to are glass. I don’t think there will be anything on top of them.
I think if you enlarge the middle photo above you will see what I am referring to. The pillars that surround the stadium that anchor the wrought iron fencing are all peaked at the top. The 2 on either side of the large square (arch) opening are squared off. Someone else suggested they determine where the entrance to the stadium begins... I'm not so sure but excited for the new SEZ to be finished.

Last edited:
I had no idea all the things that a person could consider being pissed off about until I read this thread!

I had no idea an IU Football fan would ever find this thread more interesting than our having just picked up one of the biggest (literally and figuratively) Defensive Tackle recruits in recent history...

I think if you enlarge the middle photo above you will see what I am referring to. The pillars that surround the stadium that anchor the wrought iron fencing are all peaked at the top. The 2 on either side of the large square (arch) opening are squared off. Someone else suggested they determine where the entrance to the stadium begins... I'm not so sure but excited for the new SEZ to be finished.

Inscriptions/carvings on those pillars (not just the two at the entrance) would seem to be a great way to honor guys like Bo. M, Mallory, Pete P., ARE, and AT...........anybody know there are any future plans along those lines?

Oh, OK gotcha. I didn’t even see those before. I also wonder what they will put on them.

the blimp shot of the stadium is definitely better now.

that said, for the spectators at the game, it's effectively essentially about the same as when it opened in 1960.

most everyone now sits in the original east-west stands with the exact same sight lines, that were there day one.

not a shot at what it is now, but an acknowledgement that it was always a great stadium from a fan's perspective.

i don't devalue what it is now, but rather i think many devalue what a great venue it's always been.

has always been the best venue in the B10 from a fan's pov, as far as great sight lines and proximity.

that said, for the spectators at the game, it's effectively essentially about the same as when it opened in 1960.

most everyone now sits in the original east-west stands with the exact same sight lines, that were there day one.

not a shot at what it is now, but an acknowledgement that it was always a great stadium from a fan's perspective.

i don't devalue what it is now, but rather i think many devalue what a great venue it's always been.

has always been the best venue in the B10 from a fan's pov, as far as great sight lines and proximity.

Yes, it has always been a great place to "watch" a game, but the "experience" of the game is should now be significantly elevated. And its not just about the blimp shot - even just closing the NEZ created a much more intimate environment within the stadium. Yes, the sight lines for a given seat didn't change, but closure of the NEZ almost created an optical illusion of being closer to the field (or perhaps it corrected an optical illusion of feeling farther away by having the endzones open).

Last edited:
Yes, it has always been a great place to "watch" a game, but the "experience" of the game is should now be significantly elevated. And its not just about the blimp shot - even just closing the NEZ created a much more intimate environment within the stadium. Yes, the sight lines for a given seat didn't change, but even just closure of the NEZ almost created an optical illusion of being closer to the field (or perhaps it corrected an optical illusion of feeling farther away by have the endzones open).
This. The first game I saw after the NEZ was completed just felt completely different. Looking forward to this season with the SEZ in place.

Seems closer, and the stadium overall feels more "big time". if I didn't know better, I would guess 60000-65000.
Yup. To me it just felt more "intimate", that everything was just closer. I'm thinking the SEZ may ratchet that up a notch further.

Even when I sat UNDER the original press box, there wasn't a bad seat in the house (except on boiling hot cloudless days or days when the wind chill drives me under the stands).

114 rows up has better proximity to the sun.

Ahh.....the great debate about what “makes” a venue great.
Well....95% of it is atmosphere. Some of these venues were pre-World War II dumps, with crumbling steps, uncomfortable seating and terrible amenities (looking at you Camp Randall) that eventually got updated.
Or, “iconic” Cameron Indoor Arena - a glorified high school gym.

That said, IU desperately needed to do this SEZ to offer something to recruits.

Reactions: ESalum86
Well....95% of it is atmosphere. Some of these venues were pre-World War II dumps, with crumbling steps, uncomfortable seating and terrible amenities (looking at you Camp Randall) that eventually got updated.

what makes a great venue is great proximity and sight lines.

what makes great atmosphere is a great crowd.

pretty hard to have great atmosphere if the venue is a third empty, and most any venue has great atmosphere when packed.

now that IU has a stadium that looks great Sun thru Fri, we need to put some effort and investment into how it looks on Saturday.

IU puts exactly zero effort or investment into growing the base.

IU's strategy has always been to squeeze the base for every nickle it can, not grow it.

Don't forget the library is sinking because they didn't take into account the weight of the books...... ;)

One of the great urban legends......

Now we can get into a "Ours is larger than yours" argument with PU and BSU. Whoopee.
True story. 1978 UConn opened its much needed new library and they did not take the weight of the books into account. They opened it as a study hall for finals - with no books. The University is still trying to fix the problem.. I was there,

Last edited:
True story. 1978 UConn opened its much needed new library and they did not take the weight of the books into account. They opened it as a study hall for finals - with no books. The University is still trying to fix the problem.. I was there,
They did have issues with it, but I'm not sure it was due to the weight of the books. More like shoddy construction and change of contractors.

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05..._new-library-storrs-campus-new-york-architect

Teams that win make a venue great. Amenities make them nice but winning makes them great.
Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT