ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ and other facility updates...

They don't have any golf events in Bloomington because the course is so bad. IU only hosts maybe one tourney a year and it is done off site. I cannot understand how they recruit any kids to play golf here.
Your comments raise the question of why IU even needs a golf course. I played it when I was a student many years ago and found it enjoyably challenging, but as times have changed it might make sense to "repurpose" the acreage and use another course(public or private) for IU golf team competition. What do you think?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Your comments raise the question of why IU even needs a golf course. I played it when I was a student many years ago and found it enjoyably challenging, but as times have changed it might make sense to "repurpose" the acreage and use another course(public or private) for IU golf team competition. What do you think?
It's already going to be renovated. There's no reason for a Big Ten university and for Bloomington not to have a quality golf course.

It's been in rough (pun!) shape for years.

Reactions: codylance
They don't have any golf events in Bloomington because the course is so bad. IU only hosts maybe one tourney a year and it is done off site. I cannot understand how they recruit any kids to play golf here.
I have played the IU course many times. It is a very old design that really is entirely outdated. It was outdated in the '70s. No water, no undulations in the greens. They put the greens on hillsides because back when they built it they could not get the speed up and needed excessive slope to make them challenging. Now if they try to make the greens fast they become unplayable. Not a good course.

I have a very good friend who's son is on the golf team. They just cannot recruit very well with no real home course. It kind of came down to either give up the sport or rebuild the course. I honestly thought for a while that IU was going to give up the sport but someone came along with enough money to get the kitty started for the course renovation.

I am very happy about it because I live three miles from the course and I'd love to play on a decent course that close to home.

the course needs lengthened, traps, and maybe some water.

the shape a course is in, and the layout itself, are two totally different things.

a great layout can be in poor shape, and a poor layout can be in great shape.

as for "outdated" it's only outdated in length.

imo it's still one of the best layouts in Indiana, and a much better layout than many Indiana courses with bigger reps.

if you want a Pete Dye formula layout, you have a zillion of those already in central Indiana. (and everywhere else). (both his and those of his followers).

the current IU course could be more in the Augusta National mode, very few courses can say that, and they ain't makin em any more.

that said, the thing is literally carved out of a forest. to start all over is pure insanity.

that place has held plenty of events in the past.

lengthening it will require carving out some more forest, but can be done.

there are great/elite courses that don't have big undulating greens, but if that's your thing, greens can be rebuilt.

lengthen the current course, add 50+ traps, a couple water features, and you'll have "THE" best course in the state, and it will make Crooked Stick look like a POS. (and i know where i'd lengthen, where i'd put the traps, and where i'd put water).

premium grass and irrigation are of course givens to be done as well.

but all that could be done for less than they're talking about, and way less than starting over, and it would be 10 time the course.

i fear IU's really gonna fk this one up big time.

we'll get an overpriced course that just like a zillion others that have sprouted up the last 30 yrs, that's nothing special, instead of something truly great and special, which is what fixing the current layout and doing it right could give us.

no doubt IU's social media army will push the "outdated" total and complete bs.

Last edited:

the shape a course is in, and the layout itself, are two totally different things. The

imo it's still one of the best layouts in Indiana, and a much better layout than many Indiana courses with bigger reps.

if you want a Pete Dye formula layout, you have a zillion of those already in central Indiana. (and everywhere else). (both his and those of his followers).

the current IU course could be more in the Augusta National mode, very few courses can say that, and they ain't makin em any more.

that said, the thing is literally carved out of a forest. to start all over is pure insanity.

there are great/elite courses that don't have big undulating greens, but if that's your thing, greens can be rebuilt.

lengthen the current course, add 50+ traps, a couple water features, and you'll have "THE" best course in the state, and it will make Crooked Stick look like a POS. (and i know where i'd lengthen, where i'd put the traps, and where i'd put water).

but all that could be done for less than they're talking about, and way less than starting over, and it would be 10 time the course.

we'll get an overpriced course that just like a zillion others that have sprouted up the last 30 yrs, that's nothing special, instead of something truly great and special, which is what fixing the current layout and doing it right could give us.

LOL

As usual, you are the only person with this complaint. Augusta National??? The course is awful, and they've rarely hosted events over the past 10+ years. This is just like you going on and on about how big of a disaster the NEZ was, even though everyone else loves it and gets rave reviews from fans and has had opposing schools check it out to examine the layout. You also went on and on about how IU should've held on to those rusted, literally falling apart high school bleachers in the end zone. And how all IU fans secretly hate all of our football helmets.

I don't know if you just like to be a contrarian, or if you're in your own world or something, but there's literally a person in this thread who knows someone on the golf team. His word that the course is awful and rarely hosts events (which is just flat out true) isn't good enough. No; you're the expert on everything. The fact that IU struggles to recruit with no real home course that can actually host events just isn't true, right? Everyone else is wrong, right? Ignore that you can check IU's schedule and see that they never host anything. You know what's best!

You also have no clue what the design will be, as they're just now hiring an architect, so your entire rant is pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: turney333

the shape a course is in, and the layout itself, are two totally different things.

I'm not looking to say you're wrong or right but I will say you are the first human I have come into virtual contact with that had even a remotely positive thing to say about that course.

I do like the woods that the course is in and hope they keep as much of that as possible. In the spring many of the fairways are lined with redbud and dogwood trees which is very pretty.

I also believe the current thinking is a renovation of the current course rather than a complete redesign. That makes sense. Hopefully they can give the course some challenging features other than narrow fairways and too slanted greens to get rolling fast.

I had my eyes opened to good golf course design when I became a member at Sycamore Hills in Fort Wayne. Playing the current IU course is not even playing the same game.

LOL

As usual, you are the only person with this complaint. Augusta National??? The course is awful, and they've rarely hosted events over the past 10+ years. This is just like you going on and on about how big of a disaster the NEZ was, even though everyone else loves it and gets rave reviews from fans and has had opposing schools check it out to examine the layout. You also went on and on about how IU should've held on to those rusted, literally falling apart high school bleachers in the end zone. And how all IU fans secretly hate all of our football helmets.

I don't know if you just like to be a contrarian, or if you're in your own world or something, but there's literally a person in this thread who knows someone on the golf team. His word that the course is awful and rarely hosts events (which is just flat out true) isn't good enough. No; you're the expert on everything. The fact that IU struggles to recruit with no real home course that can actually host events just isn't true, right? Everyone else is wrong, right? Ignore that you can check IU's schedule and see that they never host anything. You know what's best!

You also have no clue what the design will be, as they're just now hiring an architect, so your entire rant is pointless.

If he believes "all IU fans secretly hate all of our football helmets," I'm with him. Except I don't keep it a secret. They suck. The chrome stripes are clownish. Give me the red helmets with pitchfork logo on both sides. Perfect. As for golf, I can see both sides.

I did see that course look amazing one time in the 80's......I can't say it was actually the course that was amazing, but the foursome I saw playing a couple holes ahead. Bob Knight, Dan Dakich, Coach K and Dean Smith. When we realized who it was, our collective jaws hit the turf.

Reactions: ESalum86

I've never played the course so I can't speak to its quality, but with regards to the design philosophy, we do have to remember the first purpose of the course is the IU golf teams. I'm not conversant with college golf recruiting so I don't know the extent to which the Dye designs may be more attractive to the younger generation, but it's not unreasonable to believe it may be a factor. If Indiana thought Assembly Hall was consistently costing us quality basketball recruits, it would be replaced in a moment or at least completely gutted for major renovations. While I would love for us to have a classic, "very old school" gem-of-a-course, there is a reason Dyes are a dime-a-dozen and there are a mere handful of classic courses. They are terrifically difficult to create and we don't play the game the same same way as our grandfathers (or great-grandfathers depending on your age). I'm OK if we play this one a bit safe for now.

I've never played the course so I can't speak to its quality, but with regards to the design philosophy, we do have to remember the first purpose of the course is the IU golf teams. I'm not conversant with college golf recruiting so I don't know the extent to which the Dye designs may be more attractive to the younger generation, but it's not unreasonable to believe it may be a factor. If Indiana thought Assembly Hall was consistently costing us quality basketball recruits, it would be replaced in a moment or at least completely gutted for major renovations. While I would love for us to have a classic, "very old school" gem-of-a-course, there is a reason Dyes are a dime-a-dozen and there are a mere handful of classic courses. They are terrifically difficult to create and we don't play the game the same same way as our grandfathers (or great-grandfathers depending on your age). I'm OK if we play this one a bit safe for now.

the reason there have been so many Dye'esq courses being built now days, is because they are building them from cornfields and marshes, not carving them out of hilly forests.

don't get me wrong, Dye is absolutely brilliant taking an uninspiring piece of land, and building in man made inspiration. (traps, water, mounds, undulation).

a golf architect is an artist, and Dye is Picasso.

but the IU course needs Rembrandt, not Picasso.

if IU wants to build another course on an unwooded uninspiring patch of land, the Dye school is the way to go.

i don't though think his strength is a plot of land like IU has, and moreso, i fear whoever does it, will get caught up in making it their own design, rather than renovating and lengthening the already great layout that's there. (golf architects have egos, want their name on it, and not as just the renovator).

Glass's "start all over" comment scares me.

if IU doesn't take advantage of what's already there, imo they are making a huge mistake.

like i said, lengthen it, add 50+ traps, (maybe more like 70+), some water, add premium grass and irrigation.

it will be the best course in Indiana and the B10.

as for hosting events, who in the B10 is hosting lots of big golf events on campus these days, and what courses without premium grass are hosting any.

let's also not over play the recruiting thing.

right now Illinois is the conference stud, and their courses are nothing special at all.

all that said, unlike SSAH or MS, the golf course serves more than just the team.

99% of the play it gets is, and always will be, from students, faculty, alumni, and the general public.

i would hate to see it upgraded from an affordable course, to an unaffordable one.

Reactions: 10yrProject
The course has so much natural layout advantages that some basic changes combined with landscape work and it would be amazing. This wasn't carved out of a cornfield in TIpton County. The basketball standards have been removed...always shook my head when I saw those rusting there.

Reactions: 10yrProject
the reason there have been so many Dye'esq courses being built now days, is because they are building them from cornfields and marshes, not carving them out of hilly forests.

don't get me wrong, Dye is absolutely brilliant taking an uninspiring piece of land, and building in man made inspiration. (traps, water, mounds, undulation).

a golf architect is an artist, and Dye is Picasso.

but the IU course needs Rembrandt, not Picasso.

if IU wants to build another course on an unwooded uninspiring patch of land, the Dye school is the way to go.

i don't though think his strength is a plot of land like IU has, and moreso, i fear whoever does it, will get caught up in making it their own design, rather than renovating and lengthening the already great layout that's there. (golf architects have egos, want their name on it, and not as just the renovator).

Glass's "start all over" comment scares me.

if IU doesn't take advantage of what's already there, imo they are making a huge mistake.

like i said, lengthen it, add 50+ traps, (maybe more like 70+), some water, add premium grass and irrigation.

it will be the best course in Indiana and the B10.

as for hosting events, who in the B10 is hosting lots of big golf events on campus these days, and what courses without premium grass are hosting any.

let's also not over play the recruiting thing.

right now Illinois is the conference stud, and their courses are nothing special at all.

all that said, unlike SSAH or MS, the golf course serves more than just the team.

99% of the play it gets is, and always will be, from students, faculty, alumni, and the general public.

i would hate to see it upgraded from an affordable course, to an unaffordable one.
I'm sorry but no where in the article did I see Glass say anything about "starting all over" regarding the golf course. He even went as far as saying that it will be the same "general footprint." I take this to mean they are talking about renovating the current design, but we will probably not know what that entails until they select an architect and get the preliminary designs.

I'm sorry but no where in the article did I see Glass say anything about "starting all over" regarding the golf course. He even went as far as saying that it will be the same "general footprint." I take this to mean they are talking about renovating the current design, but we will probably not know what that entails until they select an architect and get the preliminary designs.
I think he's referring to something I said. Glass said in another interview that they would basically "start all over," but on the same spot. Until we see the design, I really have no idea what that really means though.

my bad.

it was 89, not Glass in the article, that mentioned starting all over.

whether 89 knows something we don't, i know not.

I think he's referring to something I said. Glass said in another interview that they would basically "start all over," but on the same spot. Until we see the design, I really have no idea what that really means though.

i thought i had also seen a "start all over" quote from Glass somewhere, but can't confirm that.

on a connected note, my understanding is they are doing away with the par 3 course and moving the range to where the par 3 now is. (due to the new hospital complex taking the land the range now occupies). (moving the hospital is a whole nother discussion).

not totally sure where i saw this, possibly 89 can confirm or deny.

Last edited:
on a connected note, my understanding is they are doing away with the par 3 course and moving the range to where the par 3 now is. (due to the new hospital complex taking the land the range now occupies). (moving the hospital is a whole nother discussion).

not totally sure where i saw this, possibly 89 can confirm or deny.
You are correct that the new hospital is going where the driving range is now and they are taking out the par 3 course. I have not heard that they are putting a new driving range there or using the par 3 course for the hospital but I would guess they will have to have a driving range somewhere.

Reactions: RBB89
I'm not a golfer. What is the difference, or characteristics, of a 'Pete Dye course' and a "classic old school" course?

I mean, I know who Pete Dye is and all that, but I don't know the signatures of his courses.

I'm not a golfer. What is the difference, or characteristics, of a 'Pete Dye course' and a "classic old school" course?

I mean, I know who Pete Dye is and all that, but I don't know the signatures of his courses.

Narrow fairways, small greens, and lots of bunkers.

Dye likes to put funky things in the course like walls made of old timbers around ponds and sometimes bunkers.

Reactions: DANC
Per today's HT. No mention specifically of using the Par 3 course. Also curious as to what they will do for a cross country course. I'd always heard good things about the current layout.

"The public will get its first glimpse of what the grounds for Bloomington’s new hospital on the IU campus will look like later this week.

The Indiana University Board of Trustees is expected to vote on site design plans for a new regional academic health center at its meeting Friday in Indianapolis. The plans call for new access roads, sidewalks and parking lots to be built on what is now the IU Golf Course driving range.

The endeavor, first announced in April 2015, is a partnership between IU and IU Health. It will move IU Health Bloomington Hospital from its West Second Street location to a new facility along the Ind. 45/46 Bypass and provide opportunities for collaboration between health care professionals and health science students.

One facility will include space for a new hospital as well as faculty offices and classrooms for IU’s health-science programs. Each entity is responsible for building its own portion of the facility, but IU Health and university officials have been working together on the design. All plans must go through the IU trustees, however, because IU Health is leasing the land where its portion of the facility will sit from the university.

Design plans for the site include an entry plaza, various gardens and a woodland prairie along the western edge of the site, according to the agenda for the trustees’ meeting. Architectural design plans for the building will be presented at a future meeting."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT