ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass awarded Presidents Medal for Excellence

How so? IIUC, the guaranteed scholarship is not an athletic scholarship and does not count toward the limits. BICBW.

Not so much now, but when CAM got here, our APR was so bad, he couldn't get rid of anyone. We were stuck.

That's changed though, so we can be more blunt with kids, example, Anderson. I always want kids to do what's best for them, so if they feel like moving on is good for them, so be it. If they want to stick it out, good for them. At least CAM isn't over recruiting.

Reactions: vesuvius13
How so? IIUC, the guaranteed scholarship is not an athletic scholarship and does not count toward the limits. BICBW.

I maybe over spoke.

It’s financial. If I “run off” a player, and they stay at IU, I have to now fund 2 IU educations. Unlikely? Maybe. But possible. Plus bad PR.

Similar to the circumstance where a player takes a medical “unable to play” designation. We still pay for 2.

It’s financial. If I “run off” a player, and they stay at IU, I have to now fund 2 IU educations. Unlikely? Maybe. But possible. Plus bad PR.

Similar to the circumstance where a player takes a medical “unable to play” designation. We still pay for 2.
I seriously doubt that Glass or now Dolson would hold that against the coach unless there was a pattern. In fact, I'm unaware of any instance where it's even happened (although minor sports aren't on my radar).

Point being the mantra that I keep hearing about the SABoR "tying the coaches' hands" sounds like nonsense to me. Just another bogus claim from the Glass detractors.

I seriously doubt that Glass or now Dolson would hold that against the coach unless there was a pattern. In fact, I'm unaware of any instance where it's even happened (although minor sports aren't on my radar).

Point being the mantra that I keep hearing about the SABoR "tying the coaches' hands" sounds like nonsense to me. Just another bogus claim from the Glass detractors.

I’m no detractor.

And I don’t raise the issue of whether an AD would hold it against a coach.

Just the idea that the self-imposed duty of IU to provide a 4 year scholarship to its scholarship athletes can limit what a new coach might want to do with a roster. The more players, the more potential expense. But imagine a coach wanting “clean house” and seeing that the schollie cost over the next 3 years might be 50-75% higher due to the promise.

It’s just a consequence that has to be evaluated with all others.

I’m no detractor.

And I don’t raise the issue of whether an AD would hold it against a coach.

Just the idea that the self-imposed duty of IU to provide a 4 year scholarship to its scholarship athletes can limit what a new coach might want to do with a roster. The more players, the more potential expense. But imagine a coach wanting “clean house” and seeing that the schollie cost over the next 3 years might be 50-75% higher due to the promise.

It’s just a consequence that has to be evaluated with all others.
I know you're not.

I may be unrealistic, but I think that the university honoring its educational commitment to the student is the right thing to do. When coaches are paid tens of millions of dollars, the cost of a few additional scholarships seems like a pittance to me.

I maybe over spoke.

a young kid stands outside a movie theater looking at the promo pics outside.

the owner happens by and asks the kid if he's going in.

kid says he has no money and turns his pockets inside out, showing empty pockets.

owner says go on in my treat, and walks him past the ticket taker.

how much did this actually cost the owner?

zero, other than if he threw in a sack of popcorn, (that was likely going to be thrown out anyway).

a few cents at most.

think of IU allowing the former scholly athlete to continue to attend IU even if they no longer can play, as the movie owner and the kid.

only real cost to IU would be a half a dorm room, if the former player stayed in the dorms. (or any promised room/board stipend).

you're looking way too hard, and in the wrong place.

one fired coach under contract will cost IU a hundred or a thousand times what all former players put together who benefit from IU honoring said pledge, will cost IU for the next 50 yrs.

IU spends more to operate Showalter Fountain than the pledge will ever cost IU.

any tuition and fees costs are only costs on paper, and actually cost IU basically nothing.

Aside from Wilson's obvious self-control issues, his downfalls included poor QB and OL roster management.
He did have Sudfield who was not bad had Coffman who was not bad but not want him o compete and left and can’t remember the third who also left for Illinois State. But overall you not great. But totally disagree with you on o line how many teams had two 1st team all Americans, you had Brandon Knight, Wes Martin and Coy Cronk I dot think that is a bad list of guys.

He did have Sudfield who was not bad had Coffman who was not bad but not want him o compete and left and can’t remember the third who also left for Illinois State. But overall you not great. But totally disagree with you on o line how many teams had two 1st team all Americans, you had Brandon Knight, Wes Martin and Coy Cronk I dot think that is a bad list of guys.

Once a couple of guys got injured the quality was gone. Recruiting OL sucked at the time.

Why don’t one of you sychophants tell me about how great his tennis and track & field hires are instead? Since that’s how you think he should be judged. Hell, maybe we have the best archery coach in the nation. I wouldn’t know.

His handling of the big two sports falls woefully short of what should be expected at a major D1 school. That’s really all that matters. I don’t really care how many “innovative” programs he creates to hand-hold and coddle the student athletes either. If you want to characterize it as some kind of great accomplishment, good for you...

Are you an IU grad?

the third was Tre Roberson.
https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/tre-roberson/3828

There were many things about Coach Wilson that did not set well with me. However, I can forgive some of it (other than mistreatment of injured players) due to the way in which he refused to allow IU Football to be ridiculed. The day he stood up to the radio idiots poking fun at the program is one I will always remember. Yes, I'm well aware of the dismal program history but I want all IU coaches to have an attitude and willingness to take a stand for their team. Here's hoping IU Football is on track to put the days of living in the Big Ten basement behind.

Why don’t one of you sychophants tell me about how great his tennis and track & field hires are instead? Since that’s how you think he should be judged. Hell, maybe we have the best archery coach in the nation. I wouldn’t know.

His handling of the big two sports falls woefully short of what should be expected at a major D1 school. That’s really all that matters. I don’t really care how many “innovative” programs he creates to hand-hold and coddle the student athletes either. If you want to characterize it as some kind of great accomplishment, good for you...
Who pissed in your Wheaties? You clearly don't like Glass and that's OK but some of us believe he's done a good job. I think objectively speaking it's obvious that he did. And while many of us are all about basketball and football many of us also care about all IU sports and there is little doubt that IU sports have done better under his watch. As an IU sports fan I appreciate that too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT