ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass awarded Presidents Medal for Excellence

IU Fan 1989

Sophomore
Jun 9, 2011
Blacklick OH
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...ed-glass-the-presidents-medal-for-excellence/

I think he has done a good job. I know many on here don't agree.

Among the notable accomplishments during Glass’ tenure:

• IU Athletics’ Graduation Success Rate has climbed from 77 percent to 91 percent and has equaled or established a new record score in each of the last seven years;
    • 25 team and 210 individual Big Ten championships;
    • 28 individual and one NCAA team championship;
    • 46 Big Ten Athletes of the Year;
    • 537 All-America honors;
    • 1,318 Academic All-Big Ten honors;
    • Introduced groundbreaking initiatives, including the Student-Athlete Bill of Rights and the Sexual Violence Disqualification Policy;
    • Created the Excellence Academy program, the most innovative and comprehensive personal development program in all of intercollegiate athletics;
    • Comprehensive overhaul of IU Athletics facilities has included:
      • $49 million for Memorial Stadium North End Zone facility;
      • $48 million for the Excellence Academy facility on Memorial Stadium’s south end;
      • $45 million renovation of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall;
      • $24.6 million for construction of Cook Hall;
      • A combined $50 million plus for construction of Wilkinson Hall, Bart Kaufman Field, The Pfau Course at Indiana University, and Andy Mohr Field.
    • No major NCAA rules violations.
Glass is one of only 143 individuals to receive the President’s Medal, which was first introduced in 1985. He is one of only six recipients with direct ties to IU Athletics, joining Bob Knight (1987), Ed Williams (1992), Jerry Yeagley (2018), Lin Loring (2018) and Hobie Billingsley (2018).

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...ed-glass-the-presidents-medal-for-excellence/

• IU Athletics’ Graduation Success Rate has climbed from 77 percent to 91 percent and has equaled or established a new record score in each of the last seven years;
    • Introduced groundbreaking initiatives, including the Student-Athlete Bill of Rights and the Sexual Violence Disqualification Policy;
    • Created the Excellence Academy program, the most innovative and comprehensive personal development program in all of intercollegiate athletics;
      • $48 million for the Excellence Academy facility on Memorial Stadium’s south end;
      • A combined $50 million plus for construction of Wilkinson Hall, Bart Kaufman Field, The Pfau Course at Indiana University, and Andy Mohr Field.
Glass is one of only 143 individuals to receive the President’s Medal, which was first introduced in 1985. He is one of only six recipients with direct ties to IU Athletics, joining Bob Knight (1987), Ed Williams (1992), Jerry Yeagley (2018), Lin Loring (2018) and Hobie Billingsley (2018).
1989 great job on this. I concur that Fred Glass has made IU athletics better. He truly loves Indiana University and everything about it. He has been a great ambassador for IU. He has made some really good hires. Some we are still waiting and hoping that they pan out. Facilities have gotten much better still some work ahead. All in all IU athletics are better now than when he took over. Thank you for your time and dedication to Indiana. Congratulations on an award well deserved.

He has made some really good hires. Some we are still waiting and hoping that they pan out. Facilities have gotten much better still some work ahead. All in all IU athletics are better now than when he took over. Congratulations on an award well deserved.

On the hires part, we just don't know yet. I think CTA made a big step last year. Clearly we have stepped up but we want to get to the next tier. How high can we get? CAM, is TBD as well but I feel like he can get there.

On facilities, some say anyone could have done this with BTN money? I don't know how this works with the crazy revenue increases across the board.

But the place is better than when he got here.

The “Student Bill of Rights” is not an accomplishment in any way shape or form. It’s a millstone around our neck. Also-no major NCAA violations is not an accomplishment either. It’s a minimal expectation...

On the hires part, we just don't know yet. I think CTA made a big step last year. Clearly we have stepped up but we want to get to the next tier. How high can we get? CAM, is TBD as well but I feel like he can get there.

You’re apparently ready to kiss his ass and declare him a success anyway, so what difference does it make at this point? He hasn’t made a good hire since he’s been here btw. CTA was promoted from within. All the search committees under the sun are no substitute for good instincts and common sense.

Body of work has been outstanding with the exception of the crean extension. To be fair FG tried to move on TC a year earlier than it happened. The Wilson mess was not of his doing and he handles the exit process appropriately. The other sports are generally better than he found them and the facilities are tremendous.

This is a huge statement.

Please review all hires (just the coaches) and help us understand how this is accurate.

Why don’t one of you sychophants tell me about how great his tennis and track & field hires are instead? Since that’s how you think he should be judged. Hell, maybe we have the best archery coach in the nation. I wouldn’t know.

His handling of the big two sports falls woefully short of what should be expected at a major D1 school. That’s really all that matters. I don’t really care how many “innovative” programs he creates to hand-hold and coddle the student athletes either. If you want to characterize it as some kind of great accomplishment, good for you...

You forgot to thank Fox Corporation and the Big Ten Network.

Reactions: indy1203
Why don’t one of you sychophants tell me about how great his tennis and track & field hires are instead? Since that’s how you think he should be judged. Hell, maybe we have the best archery coach in the nation. I wouldn’t know.

His handling of the big two sports falls woefully short of what should be expected at a major D1 school. That’s really all that matters. I don’t really care how many “innovative” programs he creates to hand-hold and coddle the student athletes either. If you want to characterize it as some kind of great accomplishment, good for you...

Everything will be okay. There are places you can go for help. I will DM you the phone numbers. You can call me anytime. The virus, riots and lockdown have been tough on everyone. We can get through this together.

Everyone has an opinion and I see good points made on both sides of this issue. However, one thing I see as undeniable is the fact both major sports programs at IU are currently in better shape than they have been in years. While other schools have programs under scrutiny and in trouble (see Iowa) Coach Allen and his LEO mantra (sometimes ridiculed by posters on this board and others) have proven successful. Coach Miller's team was all but certain to be included in the NCAA tournament again last year and look ready to make great strides this coming season.

Before moving to Florida, I was an avid fan in attendance at IU football games and tailgating activities (and I still fly back to attend a game or two when I can). Still, long before Fred Glass came, I often lamented IU's lack of upgrades to the football facilities (and the enclosure of the stadium). Memorial stadium now has the look of a Big Ten caliber football stadium and the team has been elevated from a given "W" on the opponent's schedule to potential upset special (given IU's schedule annually pits them against multiple top 10 teams). There may certainly be areas where Fred Glass can be scrutinized but there are also aspects of IU athletics that are undeniably better under his watch.

I think Fred Glass has warn his passion on his sleeve for this program. It has always felt like an IU fan was running the athletic department and I think he hired the best options available to IU at most every turn. The Kevin Wilson/Tom Allen saga was kind of forced upon him but has looked to be a great move. You can find criticisms in anyone but as a whole, I think he truly did a great job running the show. I can only hope the next man up is able to be as transparent and passionate as Fred.

You’re apparently ready to kiss his ass and declare him a success anyway, so what difference does it make at this point? He hasn’t made a good hire since he’s been here btw. CTA was promoted from within. All the search committees under the sun are no substitute for good instincts and common sense.

Jeff Mercer - Baseball
Chris Lemonis - Baseball
Teri Moren - Women's Basketball
Todd Yeagley - Soccer
Tom Allen - Football

Archie is still an unknown if he will work out but you would be hard pressed to prove that he has had no good hires since we could argue any of the above as good hires.

Body of work has been outstanding with the exception of the crean extension. To be fair FG tried to move on TC a year earlier than it happened. The Wilson mess was not of his doing and he handles the exit process appropriately. The other sports are generally better than he found them and the facilities are tremendous.

The "Wilson mess" was his responsibility. There were red flags there before Wilson was hired. When he was first hired I went to the NW forum and was shocked that they were talking about what a d*** he was, he didn't get along with anybody, he was a screamer et al. So....FG did a very poor job of vetting that hire, which was the single most important hire of his time, imo. It set us back 5 years in football.

And he also obviously screwed up the TC situation, to the point where it's touch and go whether we can ever regain elite status.

There is a very high level of BS about the guy which I personally find offensive. It doesn't add or subtract from his "grade', I just don't care for him....and the longer he was here, the less I liked him. Frankly, he reminds me of Jim Delany, good & bad, although I think JD is much brighter. I realize there's a lot of corporate bs doublespeak that goes with the job, and he is very good at that.

With all that said, I think you have to say that he's done a good job overall. I give him high marks on the facilities, and I think he's made a lot of good hires in the 'minor' sports. Right now, the CTA hire is looking pretty good, although it was basically a "no-brainer". On the field, we've punched above our pay grade a little in the BT. By my count, he's been here 11 years....we have 22 sports, so that's something like 230 chances for BT championships (considering the Spring '20 situation). We've won 25, something like 11%......not bad when you consider we're bottom 1/2 in $. And no major scandals, as Wilson wasn't that big a deal other than setting the program back.

I give him a "B".

I think Glass definitely grew in the job. His best work may well have been how he managed the Wilson termination (that entire situation had the potential to turn very ugly for the program and the university), and the promotion of Allen may prove to have been a stroke of genius. We'll see.

I think Glass definitely grew in the job. His best work may well have been how he managed the Wilson termination (that entire situation had the potential to turn very ugly for the program and the university), and the promotion of Allen may prove to have been a stroke of genius. We'll see.

I agree he handled the Wilson problem well. I think he has to regret the hiring in the first place. One thing about that hire....I think it showed his inexperience. It seemed that most people disliked G. DiNardo personally, and hated his style of play. The PSU goal line stand against us is the stuff of legend. So FG took the easy way out and hired a very high level offensive mind. Never mind that he had personal issues that should have precluded his hire, and that he cared very little about the defensive side of the ball. Very short-term thinking.....had Wilson been more successful he would have taken the first train out of town anyway.

As for hiring CTA....it was a no-brainer that may work out well for him.......just a very lucky outcome, no genius involved.

1989 great job on this. I concur that Fred Glass has made IU athletics better. He truly loves Indiana University and everything about it. He has been a great ambassador for IU. He has made some really good hires. Some we are still waiting and hoping that they pan out. Facilities have gotten much better still some work ahead. All in all IU athletics are better now than when he took over. Thank you for your time and dedication to Indiana. Congratulations on an award well deserved.

Well....the bar was set very low.

He took over from Rick Fricking Greenspan, who followed Terry Clapacs as IAD, who followed the horrible Michael McNeely, who IU paid $800000 just to get out of town:

Bill Orwig..............................1961-75
Paul Dietzel...........................1977-78
Ralph Floyd...........................1978-90
Clarence Doninger...............1991-2001
Michael McNeely....................2001-02
Rick Greenspan.....................2004-08

Fred's gotta be the best since Orwig, right? I know some people swear by Ralph Floyd.....IU won 40 BTCs and 5 NCs in his 12 years. Thing is.....the guy was barely literate. And had Doc C. and Sam Bell. And at least according to Bobby K., he's the one who hired Bill Mallory.....called him up and flat out offered him the job. So, I would say that it might be more accurate to say that Fred's the best IU AD since Bobby.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree he handled the Wilson problem well. I think he has to regret the hiring in the first place. One thing about that hire....I think it showed his inexperience. It seemed that most people disliked G. DiNardo personally, and hated his style of play. The PSU goal line stand against us is the stuff of legend. So FG took the easy way out and hired a very high level offensive mind. Never mind that he had personal issues that should have precluded his hire, and that he cared very little about the defensive side of the ball. Very short-term thinking.....had Wilson been more successful he would have taken the first train out of town anyway.

As for hiring CTA....it was a no-brainer that may work out well for him.......just a very lucky outcome, no genius involved.
I disagree I believe Kevin Wilson laid a solid formation for Tom Allen. He brought back a mental toughness that had been lacking since the Mallory era even though they ran a spread offense. Secondly the narrative that he did not care about defense is not supported by the fact he had 3 defensive coordinators in 6 seasons means he was trying to find the right guy and may have in Tom Allen. I don’t disagree that he may not have been the most likable on the face of the planet but was not what he was hired for. He was hired to change culture and win games. I think he made it easier for Tom Allen. Wilson was the bad guy and established focus and belief in winning and Allen brought LEO and still fostering win mentality. Thirdly I would disagree it was a no-brained to hire Tom Allen. It was not very popular on the board to hire him without a national search not that I consider this board to be the experts.

There were a ton of people that complained about the hire and lack of a national search ... they certainly didn't think it was a no brainer. But everyone sees things differently.

It was a no-brainer because Fred wasn't about to conduct a national search for a new coach. To do so would have made him look even more incompetent. Do not forget that he had just given Wilson an extension. So he wasn't going to totally blow up that staff a year later and start over.....no way.

As for the "ton" of people that complained........as I recall, 80-90% of the people on here supported the idea. Most everyone wanted to keep whatever progress we had made. There was a certain poster that starts with F who wouldn't let it go....not many others.

I disagree I believe Kevin Wilson laid a solid formation for Tom Allen. He brought back a mental toughness that had been lacking since the Mallory era even though they ran a spread offense. Secondly the narrative that he did not care about defense is not supported by the fact he had 3 defensive coordinators in 6 seasons means he was trying to find the right guy and may have in Tom Allen. I don’t disagree that he may not have been the most likable on the face of the planet but was not what he was hired for. He was hired to change culture and win games. I think he made it easier for Tom Allen. Wilson was the bad guy and established focus and belief in winning and Allen brought LEO and still fostering win mentality. Thirdly I would disagree it was a no-brained to hire Tom Allen. It was not very popular on the board to hire him without a national search not that I consider this board to be the experts.

Wilson took very little personal interest in defense. I don't see how you can dispute that. His defenses were weak and dispirited until Allen came along. There was NO mental toughness on the D until Allen....zero.

As for hiring CTA.....My memory is that 80-90% of the board supported that hire. I know I did. I think most of us felt there was a good staff in place, and that blowing things up was not the smart play. That is different from saying that a lot of us weren't pissed with Fred for getting us in that situation!!

Wilson was a bad hire but I think he left the program better than he found it, so I don't agree that he set us back 5 years. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Sampson hire by previous AD.

Agreed, the Wilson hire advanced the program until it was obvious he was a HR nightmare. FG handled the exit as he needed to legally. The experience hardly set the program back 5 years, that was a silly statement.

Wilson took very little personal interest in defense. I don't see how you can dispute that. His defenses were weak and dispirited until Allen came along. There was NO mental toughness on the D until Allen....zero.

As for hiring CTA.....My memory is that 80-90% of the board supported that hire. I know I did. I think most of us felt there was a good staff in place, and that blowing things up was not the smart play. That is different from saying that a lot of us weren't pissed with Fred for getting us in that situation!!
As stated before tha fact that he hired 3 coordinators in 6 years says that he did take an interest and was trying to find the right fit. Next you hire guys to do a job and if the job is not getting done you fire them and find the next guy. Don’t disagree defense did not display as much toughness as the offense. That is why he continued to search for the right guy. As far as continuity he fired OC and few other coaches. As far as the percentage of people who disagreed with hired appeared high maybe it was just a vocal minority but I remember defending the hire constantly.

His instincts and common sense in retaining/promoting Tom Allen seem pretty good.

His baseball hires seem to have gone OK.

Archie has struggled a bit, in part due to the Student Athlete Bill of Rights, but I’m still getting over 2000, so I can wait.

His instincts and common sense in retaining/promoting Tom Allen seem pretty good.

His baseball hires seem to have gone OK.

Archie has struggled a bit, in part due to the Student Athlete Bill of Rights, but I’m still getting over 2000, so I can wait.

Do you know for sure that the SBoR has affected CAM? I know a lot have people have suggested that it may have played a factor in the way CAM's handled the roster, but no one has claimed personal knowledge of it......not badgering you, as I respect your posts....and don't want/need the details............just would like to know for sure one way or the other.

Do you know for sure that the SBoR has affected CAM? I know a lot have people have suggested that it may have played a factor in the way CAM's handled the roster, but no one has claimed personal knowledge of it......not badgering you, as I respect your posts....and don't want/need the details............just would like to know for sure one way or the other.

No. Not for certain. I should have been more clear. You made a good call.

My statement is/was based more on the historical rates of “house cleaning” after a new regime comes in.

But ... at historically top programs it has been a little less, because talent there is usually higher than at a mid-major or slightly higher program, and a coach “desires” less of a clean slate. But even at a Kentucky or IU or Louisville-level of school, when a new guy came in, historically there was usually a wave of transfers - some voluntary, some not. Now, with our Bill of Rights, “running a guy off” is less of an option.

That's some good company.

Congratulations, Fred!

On facilities, some say anyone could have done this with BTN money? I don't know how this works with the crazy revenue increases across the board.

But the place is better than when he got here.
I think most of the improvements were made possible by direct giving, such as the Assembly Hall upgrade, Andy Mohr Field, Pfau golf course, Cook Hall, etc.

Fred was very good at raising money.

There was a certain poster that starts with F who wouldn't let it go....not many others.

Ha - you are correct. I'm surprised he hasn't been on here already saying that again...

I remember when they announced Wilson had been fired. My first thought was there has to be be some type of violation. My second thought was crap we finally have a defense and now we are going to lose Allen. I thought Wilson improved the program but it was becoming clear he couldn't take us to the next level. His offense wasn't very good the last few years. The defense carried us to the bowl that year.

Ha - you are correct. I'm surprised he hasn't been on here already saying that again...

I remember when they announced Wilson had been fired. My first thought was there has to be be some type of violation. My second thought was crap we finally have a defense and now we are going to lose Allen. I thought Wilson improved the program but it was becoming clear he couldn't take us to the next level. His offense wasn't very good the last few years. The defense carried us to the bowl that year.

Aside from Wilson's obvious self-control issues, his downfalls included poor QB and OL roster management.

Fred may fully retire and travel but I hope he is available to the City of Indy to help bring major events to the city. He is invaluable in that space,

My Cons would be.

1. Held on to Crean for way too long.
2. Hired KW instead of a proven HC.
3. Hired Tom Allen without doing a search.(Yes I know he’s doing better, but Fleck and others were out there too.)
4. Student Bill of Rights is a joke.
5. Should have blew up Assembly Hall. We need a state of the art arena.

Reactions: indy1203
My Cons would be.

3. Hired Tom Allen without doing a search.(Yes I know he’s doing better, but Fleck and others were out there too.)

1. Agree although he did try to move on TC one year earlier and was blocked.
2. OK
3. There should have been a search but we came out of that ok
4 Great concept but over written for sure
5 Strongly disagree. Iconic jewel in a sea of sterile buildings.

My Cons would be.

I could almost agree with you on 1 to 4, but what do you mean by 'state of the art arena'?

Have you been Assembly Hall lately? It's about as 'state of the art' as you can get.

And before you complain about any sight lines, remember than any new building is going to have to be built with today's building codes. That means fans being even further away from the court. Banker's Life arena is great - if you're on the main level or club level. Anything above that is farther than the balcony at Assembly Hall.

You're not going to have a United Center in Bloomington.

I could almost agree with you on 1 to 4, but what do you mean by 'state of the art arena'?

Have you been Assembly Hall lately? It's about as 'state of the art' as you can get.

And before you complain about any sight lines, remember than any new building is going to have to be built with today's building codes. That means fans being even further away from the court. Banker's Life arena is great - if you're on the main level or club level. Anything above that is farther than the balcony at Assembly Hall.

Are you saying the balcony at Assembly Hall is closer to the court than the upper deck at Bankers?
I would think in a new rounder arena they would "bring down" some of those balcony seats to the corners and behind the basket thus giving more seats closer to the court. Of course none of this is going to happen what with the $40M upgrade.

Are you saying the balcony at Assembly Hall is closer to the court than the upper deck at Bankers?
I would think in a new rounder arena they would "bring down" some of those balcony seats to the corners and behind the basket thus giving more seats closer to the court. Of course none of this is going to happen what with the $40M upgrade.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. I've been to both and I'd rather site in the AH balcony, mainly because of the atmosphere. I agree the seats aren't the greatest.

If I have to sit in the upper level of Banker's Life, I'd rather watch on TV. Watching from up there is like watching the game on my phone.

Amen Upper deck seats are...well...upper deck.

The Video tools in TAH are second to none.

A unique blend of iconic history, monument to the sport and state of the art experience.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. I've been to both and I'd rather site in the AH balcony, mainly because of the atmosphere. I agree the seats aren't the greatest.

If I have to sit in the upper level of Banker's Life, I'd rather watch on TV. Watching from up there is like watching the game on my phone.

The first few years we had seats right out of school we were in CC and frankly those were not that bad. I tend to watch off ball play as much as on ball and you can really watch the game develop. Now those plays were motion offense from the master so they were more fun to watch than today's isolation and sets.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT