ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Trump administrator pens anonymous op ed to NYT

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...york-times-who-is-senior-official-trump-op-ed
Wow. We are really in unchartered territory here. Said they even discussed the 25th Amendment. How can anyone think it’s not time for action. This is absolutely insanity.

There's gonna be a purge.

The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.
[...]
In public and in private, President Trump shows a preference for autocrats and dictators, such as President Vladimir Putin of Russia and North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, and displays little genuine appreciation for the ties that bind us to allied, like-minded nations.
[...]
The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.​

Reactions: IUPaterade724
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...york-times-who-is-senior-official-trump-op-ed
Wow. We are really in unchartered territory here. Said they even discussed the 25th Amendment. How can anyone think it’s not time for action. This is absolutely insanity.

It’s not that I disbelieve anything in there, but I’d like the author to come forward. Otherwise it’s just stuff you can believe or not believe just as easily. It’s not doing any good. Trumpsters won’t believe it and everyone else will...nothing changes.

It’s not that I disbelieve anything in there, but I’d like the author to come forward. Otherwise it’s just stuff you can believe or not believe just as easily. It’s not doing any good. Trumpsters won’t believe it and everyone else will...nothing changes.
It adds to the drumbeat, and coming immediately after the Woodward book story adds some weight. Wolfe and Omarosa could be easily dismissed. This account and Woodward's account will get the attention of all but the 5th Avenue shooting crowd.

Rachel Maddow: "Someone pulled the fire alarm and we don't know what to do."

I dont see how anyone can continue to ignore this. If you still support him, you have to be willfully ignorant.

This is extraordinary:

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

. . . The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.

. . . From the White House to executive branch departments and agencies, senior officials will privately admit their daily disbelief at the commander in chief’s comments and actions. Most are working to insulate their operations from his whims.

Meetings with him veer off topic and off the rails, he engages in repetitive rants, and his impulsiveness results in half-baked, ill-informed and occasionally reckless decisions that have to be walked back.

“There is literally no telling whether he might change his mind from one minute to the next,” a top official complained to me recently, exasperated by an Oval Office meeting at which the president flip-flopped on a major policy decision he’d made only a week earlier.

The erratic behavior would be more concerning if it weren’t for unsung heroes in and around the White House. Some of his aides have been cast as villains by the media. But in private, they have gone to great lengths to keep bad decisions contained to the West Wing, though they are clearly not always successful.
A senior administration official -- someone Trump himself appointed -- is telling us that essentially everyone in the administration thinks Trump is a deranged amoral idiot. Not to worry, though, because these "unsung heroes" are all working 24/7 to keep the lunatic from doing incalculable harm to the country. (Like David Frum, I'm not so sure about the "unsung heroes" part.)

This internet commentator captures my reaction:

Holy mother forking shirtballs. An open letter in the paper of record from an insider admitting to a soft coup in the White House. That is…wow. It’s basically: “I and others are affirmatively sabotaging the President of the United States because he’s an insane moral degenerate and a danger to the Republic.”

So, so far off the map.
I wonder: How can anyone fail to see this? Even granting that this hasn't been obvious all along, how are there still Trump supporters? Why do 85 percent of Republicans still give Trump a favorable job approval rating?

I dont see how anyone can continue to ignore this. If you still support him, you have to be willfully ignorant.

"To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the administration fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic tax reform, a more robust military and more."​

Well . . . . . . .neve mind.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

"To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the administration fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic tax reform, a more robust military and more."​

Not sure your point. You think Mike Pence couldn’t have accomplished that?

Even if the author did come out, I’d guess they probably wouldn’t believe it anyway. I get that many are angry, prideful and won’t want to admit that they made a mistake- but seeing things clearly isn’t something that may ever happen for them. They’re sucked into the cult of Trump. I’m pretty sure he could literally shoot someone on 5th Avenue, and they’d justify it somehow. I wouldn’t worry about what those folks think, because they’re lost causes at this point

***I’m not saying they are bad people, minus the racist elements, of course. I’m just saying they’ve been masterfully manipulated, and their anger has been twisted into support for Trump. It’s an emperor has no clothes situation.***

And I know that sounds horrible- but it’s true. Trying to convince them that Trump is anything but the greatest is wasting time and effort.

If the cabinet would just come together as a group, and tell him to either cut out all the BS, or ALL of them are going to walk at the same time (maybe minus the military/security posts), it would force this issue to come a conclusion. The fact that the 25th amendment was even contemplated has got to be a first.

I understand what he’s trying to say- but appeasement never works when dealing with a bully. The intentions are admirable (again, short of national security posts), but the approach is wrong.

What more do people need to see to know that this isn’t going to end well, and the sooner it does, the better?

I’ll never understand the pubs (not the Hardcore Trump supporters) still standing behind this disaster. Pence would be their dream president- and it’s not as if the great majority of Trump voters are going to suddenly stop voting republican, and vote for a party that they’ve been brainwashed into hating, and seeing as the enemy.

BTW, my money is on McGahn as being the author. He’s clearly leaked many details to news outlets, all in an effort to make himself look like the knight in shining armor. And he’s gone now anyway, or at least as soon as Kavanaugh is on the SC. It almost HAS to be someone that is going to leave soon anyway.

Who would want to stay behind, and face the insanity that’s to come? He’s been off the rails- and he’s going to go off the cliff soon. Nothing hurts him more than what he perceives as wounds to his ego- and literally dozens of people close to him have just exposed him for the fraud that he is.

And this time, his father, bankruptcy or celebrity status can’t save him. He’s going to have to face this alone, and he’s going to take down everything and everyone with him. I just hope the damage isn’t as bad as I think it will be.

BTW, I’m putting this out there. If someone comes out here and says that they were wrong in supporting him, I promise to not respond with ridicule. We’ve all been wrong before. It happens.

To the contrary, I’d thank them. And I’d think that most of the other “lefties” or never Trump pubs would adopt the same approach.

So, your stance is essentially this: to hell with our country, as long as I get some policies that I like.

Can it be read any other way?

I wonder what the motivation is -- what outcome does this senior administration official seek to produce? It's risky copping to a soft coup in the New York Times -- even if you do it anonymously. Even if people don't actually know who did it, they'll think they do. And the blowback will likely be huge.

Someone had what they thought was a damn good reason to do this. What was it?

Even if the author did come out, I’d guess they probably wouldn’t believe it anyway. I get that many are angry, prideful and won’t want to admit that they made a mistake- but seeing things clearly isn’t something that may ever happen for them. They’re sucked into the cult of Trump. I’m pretty sure he could literally shoot someone on 5th Avenue, and they’d justify it somehow. I wouldn’t worry about what those folks think, because they’re lost causes at this point

***I’m not saying they are bad people, minus the racist elements, of course. I’m just saying they’ve been masterfully manipulated, and their anger has been twisted into support for Trump. It’s an emperor has no clothes situation.***

And I know that sounds horrible- but it’s true. Trying to convince them that Trump is anything but the greatest is wasting time and effort.

If the cabinet would just come together as a group, and tell him to either cut out all the BS, or ALL of them are going to walk at the same time (maybe minus the military/security posts), it would force this issue to come a conclusion. The fact that the 25th amendment was even contemplated has got to be a first.

I understand what he’s trying to say- but appeasement never works when dealing with a bully. The intentions are admirable (again, short of national security posts), but the approach is wrong.

What more do people need to see to know that this isn’t going to end well, and the sooner it does, the better?

I’ll never understand the pubs (not the Hardcore Trump supporters) still standing behind this disaster. Pence would be their dream president- and it’s not as if the great majority of Trump voters are going to suddenly stop voting republican, and vote for a party that they’ve been brainwashed into hating, and seeing as the enemy.

BTW, my money is on McGahn as being the author. He’s clearly leaked many details to news outlets, all in an effort to make himself look like the knight in shining armor. And he’s gone now anyway, or at least as soon as Kavanaugh is on the SC. It almost HAS to be someone that is going to leave soon anyway.

Who would want to stay behind, and face the insanity that’s to come? He’s been off the rails- and he’s going to go off the cliff soon. Nothing hurts him more than what he perceives as wounds to his ego- and literally dozens of people close to him have just exposed him for the fraud that he is.

And this time, his father, bankruptcy or celebrity status can’t save him. He’s going to have to face this alone, and he’s going to take down everything and everyone with him. I just hope the damage isn’t as bad as I think it will be.

BTW, I’m putting this out there. If someone comes out here and says that they were wrong in supporting him, I promise to not respond with ridicule. We’ve all been wrong before. It happens.

To the contrary, I’d thank them. And I’d think that most of the other “lefties” or never Trump pubs would adopt the same approach.

At this point in the time of Trumpland, USA we’re already deeply divided into the groups that believe Trump is incompetent, dangerous, and a traitor (I’m in that group, proudly) and the group who defends everything he says or does in any way they can. I don’t see the point of putting this out. I’m inclined to believe it, but until someone comes out with something like this and says “Here I am, I wrote this, and here’s the proof”, it’s doing as much good as pissing into the wind. You and I aren’t on a jury and we certainly aren’t judges, so what’s the point of telling us this info and whether or not we believe it? If these people have evidence that the country is in danger, then step the f*** forward. This is coming from someone who believes what’s in the article and the book.

Do you mean rolling back environmental protections, predatory lending laws , another trickle down Econ theory, bogus military waste, can u b more specific... I doubt it. Clowns clown, it is on display and you are the jugglers assistant to the main clown.

At this point in the time of Trumpland, USA we’re already deeply divided into the groups that believe Trump is incompetent, dangerous, and a traitor (I’m in that group, proudly) and the group who defends everything he says or does in any way they can. I don’t see the point of putting this out. I’m inclined to believe it, but until someone comes out with something like this and says “Here I am, I wrote this, and here’s the proof”, it’s doing as much good as pissing into the wind. You and I aren’t on a jury and we certainly aren’t judges, so what’s the point of telling us this info and whether or not we believe it? If these people have evidence that the country is in danger, then step the f*** forward. This is coming from someone who believes what’s in the article and the book.
Who on the right deals in evidence anymore...they cry for evidence, and then...well, I am a birther, there is that.

I wonder what the motivation is -- what outcome does this senior administration official seek to produce? It's risky copping to a soft coup in the New York Times -- even if you do it anonymously. Even if people don't actually know who did it, they'll think they do. And the blowback will likely be huge.

The Orange Idiot?

The good of the country? (silly notion, I know)

Note that it says "our" and "we." Sounds like this is more than one person.

The anonymous Op-Ed writer has been identified:

s-l1000.jpg

In other news, Trump doesn't get it and is still looking for all his workers who yelled:

Kamspatacus.jpg

Either starting to pave the way for the 25th amendment or pressuring the POTUS to realize he better get serious or else?

There's gonna be a purge.

The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.
[...]
In public and in private, President Trump shows a preference for autocrats and dictators, such as President Vladimir Putin of Russia and North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, and displays little genuine appreciation for the ties that bind us to allied, like-minded nations.
[...]
The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.​

"Me first" is the only principle in his doctrine.

From what they thought was a 'velvet revolution' to change how Washington works and then realisesing that its all a fraud by that con-man. It may be all too much to take.

new-understanding-the-stages-of-grief-1.png

I suspect you will feel the need to vent but also to think you need to wash some dirty linen in public to help stop this scam. So the writer is only at Stage 3 -- whilst folks like Mathis is at the later stages.

Some folks here are still at Stage 2. ;)
CcyCDV6W8AA2eT5.jpg

You know who you are!!

The good of the country? (silly notion, I know)

Note that it says "our" and "we." Sounds like this is more than one person.
Someone is taking a big risk. Unless they're as stupid as Trump, they've thought about what the next steps are likely to be. I wonder what specifically may be intended. Now what?

Sessions would seem a potential candidate. He may want to take a piece of Trump's hide at this point.

To my mind, this mid-term election is a referendum on the American people. How far will we let this go?

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Someone is taking a big risk. Unless they're as stupid as Trump, they've thought about what the next steps are likely to be. I wonder what specifically may be intended. Now what?
After reading the whole opinion, I see the goal as try to save the Republican Party, improve their chances in the 2018 election, and generally letting citizens know that what Woodward describes in his book is not Trump et al. I think publishing this opinion today was precipitated by the Woodward book excerpts that basically shed light on the doom and gloom in the Trump White House. This opinion is saying, don't worry folks, we've got this.

Edit: See for example, the Chris Hayes tweet above.

Sessions would seem a potential candidate. He may want to take a piece of Trump's hide at this point.

To my mind, this mid-term election is a referendum on the American people. How far will we let this go?
I was guessing someone more like Mnuchin or Kudlow -- someone trying to preserve a post-Trump reputation among the grown ups. "I tried to warn you," that person might later claim. That wouldn't seem to be Sessions, but who knows?

After reading the whole opinion, I see the goal as try to save the Republican Party, improve their chances in the 2018 election, and generally letting citizens know that what Woodward describes in his book is not Trump et al. I think publishing this opinion today was precipitated by the Woodward book excerpts that basically shed light on the doom and gloom in the Trump White House. This opinion is saying, don't worry folks, we've got this.

Edit: See for example, the Chris Hayes tweet above.
Who knows, but that seems pretty lofty. I doubt a real person would think like that while taking such a risky step. You may be a better person than I am, but I wouldn't risk my job, my career, my reputation, and maybe even my liberty unless I had something more than gauzy platitudes in mind. I doubt Chris Hayes would disagree.

Who knows, but that seems pretty lofty. I doubt a real person would think like that while taking such a risky step. You may be a better person than I am, but I wouldn't risk my job, my career, my reputation, and maybe even my liberty unless I had something more than gauzy platitudes in mind. I doubt Chris Hayes would disagree.
It's not like I'm reading between the lines.

we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know that there are adults in the room. We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t.

This isn’t the work of the so-called deep state. It’s the work of the steady state.

So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

There is a quiet resistance within the administration of people choosing to put country first. But the real difference will be made by everyday citizens rising above politics, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Americans.
I don't see this piece as an attempt to bring the Trump Administration down at all. It lists its successes (in the eyes of conservatives). I don't see how it commits any crimes. It simply says, Trump's a juvenile but there are plenty of adults here, so don't worry.

The true believers are part of the Pence faction.

we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know that there are adults in the room. We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t.

This isn’t the work of the so-called deep state. It’s the work of the steady state.

So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

There is a quiet resistance within the administration of people choosing to put country first. But the real difference will be made by everyday citizens rising above politics, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Americans.
I don't see this piece as an attempt to bring the Trump Administration down at all. It lists its successes (in the eyes of conservatives). I don't see how it commits any crimes. It simply says, Trump's a juvenile but there are plenty of adults here, so don't worry.
Yes. That's what the op-ed says. We both have read it. But I'm guessing that more than love of country explains the specific decision to place this op-ed in the Times. I believe what the op-ed says is true, but I wonder why the author chose this particular step at this particular time.

Also, I'm not saying the op-ed reflects "an attempt to bring the Trump Administration down". I'm saying that I'm curious about the author's intentions in making this public statement in this particular way.

Reactions: BigAppleHoosier
I was guessing someone more like Mnuchin or Kudlow -- someone trying to preserve a post-Trump reputation among the grown ups. "I tried to warn you," that person might later claim. That wouldn't seem to be Sessions, but who knows?

Fun to speculate, though. Could Sessions hold it over Trump's head that he'll reveal himself as the source, with.more to follow, if Trump doesn't back off?

At any rate, going public with this now is very curious. If the story is accurate there is a sustained effort to prevent real damage, why reveal that at this particular time? There is going to be tremendous pressure for more details about this story.

I guess I'm surprised that people are really surprised?

It was blatantly obvious years back when he very first started his campaign that the man was entirely unsuited for this office. The most unqualified individual in our history, and really not even close to say that.

We can all feel better I guess that there is a soft coup going on? And that everyone that works for him is as disturbed as the majority of the nation is. LOL.

He's already the least popular President at this point in his term since Truman. And that's when things have been going about as good as they could possibly be going.

Cold comfort, indeed. Nothing about this piece is reassuring to me when a tweet could start a war.

Yes. That's what the op-ed says. We both have read it. But I'm guessing that more than love of country explains the specific decision to place this op-ed in the Times. I believe what the op-ed says is true, but I wonder why the author chose this particular step at this particular time.

Also, I'm not saying the op-ed reflects "an attempt to bring the Trump Administration down". I'm saying that I'm curious about the author's intentions in making this public statement in this particular way.
Right. I already offered my humble opinion on both. To save the Republican Party etc and precipitated by the credible Woodward book. Unless he's trying to bring Trump down, I don't see any need for a more nuanced rationale.

Cold comfort, indeed. Nothing about this piece is reassuring to me when a tweet could start a war.
Well, to that end the piece reassures me that Trump's current cabinet is at the 25th-ready if Trump goes over the deep end. Just another reason to publish this now -- to say we've got this. He might "start a war" whatever that means but they're ready to intervene before it gets out of hand. And as I said before, it also (if Trump can muster the gray cells) warns Trump to watch out.

You could even say it warns future cabinet members to be at the 25th-ready, if Trump now proceeds to purge the cabinet, which to me is the real danger in publishing this rather than remaining a completely silent resistance.

Rachel Maddow: "Someone pulled the fire alarm and we don't know what to do."
She's wrong. Somebody in a position to pull the fire alarm just whispered "SMOKE!".

Ain't nobody in the administration big enough - other than Sessions, on a few occasions - to take on Trump. Would they get fired if they were to do so? Sure. Would it be the right thing to do? I think so. Otherwise, we have this passive aggressive crap that is more in line with Trump's behavior than what real leadership requires.

Someone needs to stick their neck out and get their head cut off - figuratively of course - so we can know whom to follow. Right now it's nobody.

BTW, whoever in the administration does the firing of whoever sticks their neck out needs to be shunned for the rest of their career, the same way Robert Bork was shunned from ascendancy to SCOTUS.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdtkkg
I guess I'm surprised that people are really surprised?

It was blatantly obvious years back when he very first started his campaign that the man was entirely unsuited for this office. The most unqualified individual in our history, and really not even close to say that.

We can all feel better I guess that there is a soft coup going on? And that everyone that works for him is as disturbed as the majority of the nation is. LOL.

He's already the least popular President at this point in his term since Truman. And that's when things have been going about as good as they could possibly be going.

What's different here the openness of a 'rebellion' within an administration -- that's unique. I don't remember this ever happening in my effective memory. Never under the Bushes, Clinton or the Obama years for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT