ADVERTISEMENT

Season Prediction

There has been real substance behind LEO, you and others just seem to deny it due to 2021, which was a shit storm of a season but let's see what this season brings. Wins in 2019 and 2020 shouldn't be discounted but many do discount those winning seasons. The best thing is coach Allen made major changes from 2021 bringing in experienced coaches and recruiting has improved with Leo. Whether it is enough to turn 2022 around we will have to wait and see.
I agree that Allen should be given a chance to show what he can do this year. Hopefully, he will prove to be a solid coach. Last year was very disappointing. Mostly because of the decision by the coaching staff to go with a QB who clearly was not ready to play. It wasn't fair to him and it contributed to a disaster of a season. Maybe Allen learned from it and will make better calls in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree that Allen should be given a chance to show what he can do this year. Hopefully, he will prove to be a solid coach. Last year was very disappointing. Mostly because of the decision by the coaching staff to go with a QB who clearly was not ready to play. It wasn't fair to him and it contributed to a disaster of a season. Maybe Allen learned from and will make better calls in the future.
That's the biggest thing I like about Tom Allen. He adjusts from his mistakes for better outcomes. His staff will mirror exactly his FB philosophy and go as far as player talent can take them. I think this season is 6-6 maybe 7-5 and bowl W.

Last edited:
Could be looked at either way.
ILL - W
IDAHO - W
WKU - W
at CIN - L
at NEB - W
MICH - L
MARY - W
at RUTG - W
PSU - W
at OSU - L
at MSU - L
PU - W

I'll go with 8-4. Think the floor is 5-7 and the ceiling is 8-4. I'll pick the ceiling.

I would be thrilled with that season outcome. That's very similar to the 2019 season. Beat everyone but OSU, PSU, MSU, and UM. I think any long time IU Football fan would accept that as a positive season, with the occasional W sprinkled in against those (4) referenced schools.

I’m going to say 1-11. New doesn’t always mean better and they will have to show me since I have nothing else to go on. A head coach needs to have control of the entire team and know what is going on before the wheels fall off and be able to fix it. Last year was proof positive that we do not have that. Maybe Bell turns out to be great and we can manage 4 or 5 wins but Allen has proven he can’t manage a game even without pulling double duty as a coordinator so I’ll hold my optimism that we can even sniff bowl eligibility.
Love it!!

I do believe that this team has the personnel to go 7-5. That’s not unreasonable. Do we have the staff and head guy to do that? I think that I have to believe that this may be Allen’s most important season yet. This is either his watershed season or potential swan song. A losing season would make 4 of 6 years with a losing campaign You can’t continue to lose, even at Indiana. Not with the stakes that are in play now in these realignments.

There has been real substance behind LEO, you and others just seem to deny it due to 2021, which was a shit storm of a season but let's see what this season brings. Wins in 2019 and 2020 shouldn't be discounted but many do discount those winning seasons. The best thing is coach Allen made major changes from 2021 bringing in experienced coaches and recruiting has improved with Leo. Whether it is enough to turn 2022 around we will have to wait and see.
Anyone who’s ever played team sports has done so with some kind of LEO-esque theme. It’s hardly unique. Agree that the house cleaning we did and that was done to us by both players and coaches is the key. With so much turnover, it’s extremely difficult to predict what will happen. I think we’re a 2 to 5 win team, with the higher end of that range being a demonstration that things are moving up.

ILL - W
IDAHO - W
WKU - W
at CIN - L
at NEB - L
MICH - W
MARY - W
at RUTG - L
PSU - L
at OSU - L
at MSU - L
PU - W

6-6, 4-5 B1G

BOWL: Quick Lane in Detroit vs TOLEDO - W

7-6 final record w/ a bowl victory. Book it. Go Hoosiers!
I’m here to guarantee IU wins 50% more games than in 2021.

Their chances of winning the bucket are as good as their chances of winning 4 games. Not going to happen.
50% of two games is a really low bar for optimism.
100% or four games is in the bag.
4-8 is the about average prediction with a presumption of a wretched IU squad
Every one in the Big Ten east won’t get better.
IU will be much better.
IU‘s BiG west schedule isn’t murders row.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It all comes down to the O Line. Bazelac is the better QB if he has protection....stronger arm, better experience. We have more dynamic options at RB, WR and TE. The return of Mathews is key. Shivers is an upgrade. Barner should have been playing the majority of offensive snaps last year.....gives us much more than Hendershot. But if the O Line doesn't markedly improve, all those options matter very little.

I am a realist......somewhere between an optimist and a pessimist....anticipate O LIne improved, but not great

ILL W
Idaho W
WKU W
Cincy L
Neb W
Md W
Mich L
Rut W
Penn St L
OSU L
Mich St W
PU L

7-5

IU will be much better.
Curious why you believe we’ll be “much better”?

Being we play Illinois right out of the gate I think we’ll know early. I can see 3-9 easy. But I can also envision a 7-5 or 6-6 too.
As much as I disliked the Iowa game setup last season, I like this one. Ill is not Iowa and TA has the opportunity to shut some people up day one and build some excitement. I generally don't do predictions but 6-6 seems to be the realistic goal.

People are giving Nebraska and Rutgers way too much respect. MSU is a very winnable game as well.
Nebraska significantly upgraded the QB position, a position that literally cost them minimum of 5 games last year.
I don’t think you’re giving enough credit to Maryland. They probably have the 3rd or 4th most talented roster in the B1G. They have the 2nd best wr’s in the conference and by far the best secondary. They still have Locksley and that plus being a home game will probably be enough to beat them. Very dangerous team though and not a gimme.

Nebraska significantly upgraded the QB position, a position that literally cost them minimum of 5 games last year.
I don’t think you’re giving enough credit to Maryland. They probably have the 3rd or 4th most talented roster in the B1G. They have the 2nd best wr’s in the conference and by far the best secondary. They still have Locksley and that plus being a home game will probably be enough to beat them. Very dangerous team though and not a gimme.
"by far the best secondary" where do you see this as I haven't seen anything that rates them this good. IU talent wise has one of the best in the B1G and getting the defense to play like 2020 would elevate that group even more.

Did Nebraska though? Look at his stats vs poor competition and his stats vs good competition. He padded them with bad teams. There was a video of him throwing to WR's the other day. The WR's had to stop and wait for every ball. Not sold.

IU will be much better.
I would agree.

Tough to transition into a productive starter at the quarterback position, as I’m sure we’re going to learn ourselves this Fall.

"by far the best secondary" where do you see this as I haven't seen anything that rates them this good. IU talent wise has one of the best in the B1G and getting the defense to play like 2020 would elevate that group even more.
I’ve seen no Indications from anyone that Maryland has the best secondary in the Big Ten. None.
This was completely made up By the OP.
Maryland ranked 107th in the nation in passing yards per game allowed. at 268 yards per game.

an absolutely nonsensical claim.

It all comes down to the O Line. Bazelac is the better QB if he has protection....stronger arm, better experience. We have more dynamic options at RB, WR and TE. The return of Mathews is key. Shivers is an upgrade. Barner should have been playing the majority of offensive snaps last year.....gives us much more than Hendershot. But if the O Line doesn't markedly improve, all those options matter very little.

I am a realist......somewhere between an optimist and a pessimist....anticipate O LIne improved, but not great

ILL W
Idaho W
WKU W
Cincy L
Neb W
Md W
Mich L
Rut W
Penn St L
OSU L
Mich St W
PU L

7-5
You realize that almost half the wins there would be road wins?

ILL W
Idaho W
WKU W
Cincy L
Neb W
Md W
Mich L
Rut W
Penn St L
OSU L
Mich St W
PU L

7-5
If we can beat MSU and Neb on the road we sure as hell better beat PUke at home.
I know Neb is nothing special but it is away with a big crowd and I think a win at EL is very optimistic.

I have both N and MSU as likely Ls and a W bs PUke for six wins

I think the better question is how many games do we need to win to juice recruiting, keep the fans happy and maintain momentum?

I think 6 wins is probably the magic number. Longtime fans want to see the team in a bowl game with a good chance at victory.

I'd hate to think 6 wins is asking too much...

I think the better question is how many games do we need to win to juice recruiting, keep the fans happy and maintain momentum?

I think 6 wins is probably the magic number. Longtime fans want to see the team in a bowl game with a good chance at victory.

I'd hate to think 6 wins is asking too much...
It’s not asking too much, but it’s extremely difficult to see where you can find six wins.

gotta win the first 3. after that it's only 3 outta 9. if we can't do that, this program's back in a deep hole.
Agree that the start of the season is key. Even if we take all three, the next nine are formidable, and finding three more wins will be a huge challenge. I think this is a two to five win team, with the higher end of that representing real progress, based on where the program currently is.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1
This team just needs to stay reasonably healthy. I think there are enough playmakers and experienced, physical lineman that this team should expect to win 6 games. If they have another 15-20+ injuries across several positions then no chance. Not enough depth on the roster for that, case in point last season.
This.

IU has struggled with key injuries more than most. I understand that this speaks to depth, but a season off from deep damage would be great.

six wins is not a stretch. Win 2 non cons, Ill, Md, Pu and then one of Neb/Rutger and it be done.

ILL - W
IDAHO - W
WKU - W
at CIN - L
at NEB - L
MICH - W
MARY - W
at RUTG - L
PSU - L
at OSU - L
at MSU - L
PU - W

6-6, 4-5 B1G

BOWL: Quick Lane in Detroit vs TOLEDO - W

7-6 final record w/ a bowl victory. Book it. Go Hoosiers!
While I have no idea what we have without having a spring game, I'm not hopeful. My biggest concern is the running game. Our line needed a kick in the ass in the off season and we needed to find a running back. I don't know if any of that happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT