ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday attendance looks bad

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
I went to the opener but it really is disappointing we can't get better attendance. The tiered pricing still isn't going to work it looks like. Hopefully students come. It's a late start but Eastern Illinois isn't a draw. Attendance is down all over. 75 dollars for a ticket is too much to create a good environment. That said that family four pack is a good deal.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I went to the opener but it really is disappointing we can't get better attendance. The tiered pricing still isn't going to work it looks like. Hopefully students come. It's a late start but Eastern Illinois isn't a draw. Attendance is down all over. 75 dollars for a ticket is too much to create a good environment. That said that family four pack is a good deal.
Where did you get $75? Tickets through IU are $20-55, and you can get $7 tickets on stubhub.

For most games they are around 75. 70 for BSU.

BSU was the home team and they along with Lucas Oil set the ticket prices

OSU and UM games have tickets as low as $50 and all other games have tickets as low as $20-30. And besides OSU/UM games, the most expensive tickets are $70. And those $70 seats are in sections predominantly filled by season ticket holders, so the vast majority of available tickets for most games are $55 or less

Last edited:
I looked yesterday. There is a ton of 70 dollar seats available for every game including Homecoming.

BSU was the home team and they along with Lucas Oil set the ticket prices

OSU and UM games have tickets as low as $50 and all other games have tickets as low as $20-30. And besides OSU/UM games, the most expensive tickets are $70. And those $70 seats are in sections predominantly filled by season ticket holders, so the vast majority of available tickets for most games are $55 or less

Will be curious to see what kind of crowd shows up for the ohio state game. i guess beer sales so far hasn't created a spike in ticket sales?

Will be curious to see what kind of crowd shows up for the ohio state game. i guess beer sales so far hasn't created a spike in ticket sales?
I have never understood why the ability to buy beer is a draw to a sporting event. I tailgate and don't have the desire to buy an overpriced beer during the game.

I hope others feel different to raise the concession revenue, but they won't get my business. I don't see beer or wine sales as a reason for more people to come. It will make the experience better for some that already attend games.

I have never understood why the ability to buy beer is a draw to a sporting event. I tailgate and don't have the desire to buy an overpriced beer during the game.

I hope others feel different to raise the concession revenue, but they won't get my business. I don't see beer or wine sales as a reason for more people to come. It will make the experience better for some that already attend games.
Yeah I could be totally of the mark here, but thought it might help bring some in who just go to tailgate as well as some who watch from the bars

My response would be the last two recruiting classes and a real offensive coordinator. Michael Penix, Stevie Scott, and James Head are reasons I spent 140 on BSU tickets.

No one here is a casual fan...you wouldn’t be here if you were. But put yourself in the casual fan’s shoes for a minute.

What has the program done to entice you to come to games? Something has to move the needle. It sure hasn’t been wins lately.

Eastern Illinois is great for turning up and working out the kinks, but let's be honest, it's not a great draw and IU is not YET a proven entity. And we're not Iowa with no pro teams or other things to do. (Hawks are the pro team of Iowa!)

I'm going to the OSU game next week (and went to BSU game) and especially if IU were to pull an upset, do think the attendance will be going up this season as IU keeps peforming well and Penix/Deboer keep working an exciting offense. Takes time, we'll get there.

Until Indiana football does something unexpected (beats an Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St) and then follows with another good win (Iowa, Minn, NW, etc) attendance isn’t going to change. You can’t produce the same thing over and over and expect spontaneous excitement over it.

Last edited:
I would add another unfortunate element to this is the price gouging that the local hotels engage in during football weekends. This is a deterrent for many out of towners....
I totally endorse this post! (Huge Grin!) The hotels in B-town are notorious for poor pricing options on game weekends for Football and Hoops. I have changed plans in the past due to hotel availability. Nice post!

I'm a longtime diehard IU football fan and honestly, a home game against Eastern Illinois simply doesn't interest me enough to spend a truckload of money and windshield time to make the trip.

OTOH, very seriously considering the ride up for the IU/OSU tussle next Saturday.

i wonder how many area fans even knew there was an Eastern Illinois U?

corners and NEZ should be $5-$10 tops, with kids a dollar.

at least you'd get some parking and concession money.

we have 3 games a yr that IU gets to sched, and we sched EIU.

wtf?????

doesn't have to be Bama or Southern Cal, but EIU is an insult and a ripoff to the fans.

I totally endorse this post! (Huge Grin!) The hotels in B-town are notorious for poor pricing options on game weekends for Football and Hoops. I have changed plans in the past due to hotel availability. Nice post!

Stay in Columbus and drive over on Saturday morning. It's a great drive.

wtf?????

doesn't have to be Bama or Southern Cal, but EIU is an insult and a ripoff to the fans.

It's really unfortunate scheduling right before the OSU game.......we've got a lot of guys who would benefit from playing legit competition.........Penix, James, Mullen, Ellis, J. Miller, C. Jones, Reece T.....its a good game for getting the 3rd stringers on the field and avoiding injuries to 1st stringers.....not much else.

It's really unfortunate scheduling right before the OSU game.......we've got a lot of guys who would benefit from playing legit competition.........Penix, James, Mullen, Ellis, J. Miller, C. Jones, Reece T.....its a good game for getting the 3rd stringers on the field and avoiding injuries to 1st stringers.....not much else.

PR needs to get some reps as well.

They charge what the market will bear. Capitalism in its rawest form. Freedom!
I just checked this weekend on the Wyndham website for Bloomington. It looks like regular pricing to me. 70 to 150 bucks a night...Thats pretty standard.

Sheez when my wife and i went to Chicago the weekend of Lollapalooza it was 350 minimum to stay anywhere near downtown Chicago. It was double than the normal rates.

EDIT!!! Just checked next weekend for osu its double. Wow! It is what it is. :)

I just checked this weekend on the Wyndham website for Bloomington. It looks like regular pricing to me. 70 to 150 bucks a night...Thats pretty standard.

Sheez when my wife and i went to Chicago the weekend of Lollapalooza it was 350 minimum to stay anywhere near downtown Chicago. It was double than the normal rates.

EDIT!!! Just checked next weekend for osu its double. Wow! It is what it is. :)
The graduate hotel is $619 a night for fri/sat on Osu weekend and that doesn’t include parking. Two nights will be almost $1,500 with parking and incidentals. Not nyc. Bloomington. But like the post above says, that’s the market I guess.

I'm a longtime diehard IU football fan and honestly, a home game against Eastern Illinois simply doesn't interest me enough to spend a truckload of money and windshield time to make the trip.

OTOH, very seriously considering the ride up for the IU/OSU tussle next Saturday.
Man, look at it as an opportunity to cheer for your IU Hoosiers, who now have their names on their jerseys and have an opportunity to dominate a lesser opponent. Surely, you are interested in supporting IU, so the 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from where you live can't be that big a deal.

Reactions: DANC
As has been pointed out multiple times, last week was Ball State's -Home game- not ours.

BSU chose to take the "we're even smaller time then you thought we were" approach to promoting the game and for whatever reason (TV $$$), allowed it to be scheduled for a Noon Kickoff..., basically totally negating the venue the game was played in.

7:30 or 8pm would have been the optimal kickoff times for a downtown Indianapolis game, any time of the year and in my opinion are the optimal kickoff times for any game played before October 20th...

Top all of that off with an opponent who (on paper [based on their previous 2 years records] didn't appear to the average fan as being able to put up much of a fight (short memory types)..., And... you end up with a pathetic crowd #...

Not at all terribly surprising....

A real major waste of a great venue by BSU if you ask me... Small Timers working hard to stay that way...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Hoosier009
BSU chose to take the "we're even smaller time then you thought we were" approach to promoting the game and for whatever reason (TV $$$), allowed it to be scheduled for a Noon Kickoff..., basically totally negating the venue the game was played in.
I can say with any certainty, but I suspect the kickoff time was determined by CBSSN, not Ball State.

I can say with any certainty, but I suspect the kickoff time was determined by CBSSN, not Ball State.

You are probably correct.

My point (in response to that) is..., was at some point BSU has to have signed off on a contract that allowed someone other than them to pick the kickoff time...

While it's clear we've done the same thing I don't like it, at all... That's how we end up playing all these noon kickoff games...

In my football forum alternate reality/fantasy I'd love to see the schools take some power back from the TV guys...

Wasted typing Rant over now...:confused::(:cool:;):)

Reactions: kmathum
You are probably correct.

My point (in response to that) is..., was at some point BSU has to have signed off on a contract that allowed someone other then them to pick the kickoff time...

While it's clear we've done the same thing I don't like it, at all... That's how we end up playing all these noon kickoff games...

In my football forum alternate reality/fantasy I'd love to see the schools take some power back from the TV guys...

Wasted typing Rant over now...:confused::(:cool:;):)
IU and all the other conference members have handed over their rights to the conference, who has sold them to the various networks -- CBS, ESPN, Fox, BTN, etc. I don't think the schools have any say whatsoever, other than putting out the best product possible that will garner the prime TV spots.

Reactions: fpeaugh
IU and all the other conference members have handed over their rights to the conference, who has sold them to the various networks -- CBS, ESPN, Fox, BTN, etc. I don't think the schools have any say whatsoever, other than putting out the best product possible that will garner the prime TV spots.

Understood... (shorter version of my post above...:rolleyes:)... Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Begs the question as to why everyone invests in Tajmahal level crowd venues and then schedules Kickoff times that nearly guarantee a much less than a full house.

Might as well play em all from 8am thru 11am, let the coaches and players have the rest of the day off and tape delay the games as needed...

The way things are going we may end up with something like that...

I won't like that much either...:(:confused:

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but believe me when I tell you this, the first time I step foot in Memorial Stadium this season, I am going to buy me one of those overpriced beers you're complaining about. Why? Because I finally can and it feels so good in doing so. Now that said, I'll just have to wait and see how many other beers I buy at IU games. It probably depends upon the company I keep and the opposition IU faces, plus the unfolding drama of any given game. The bottom line, it's just nice to know the beer is there, if and when I need it.

So far, all the games look poor for attendance. Beer and tiers weren’t ever going to be game changers, just tools that IU is catching up on like facilities. Obviously winning biggest key. Outside that, it takes out of the box thinking and marketing that the athletic dept may not have the leeway to do in order to make true attendance difference on the short term. Wish the goal were to fill seats first.

Reactions: 76-1

wtf?????

And you would be the first one to bitch if we lost an early game that would reduce our bowl chances....

Reactions: 76-1
Eastern Illinois is great for turning up and working out the kinks, but let's be honest, it's not a great draw and IU is not YET a proven entity. And we're not Iowa with no pro teams or other things to do. (Hawks are the pro team of Iowa!)

I'm going to the OSU game next week (and went to BSU game) and especially if IU were to pull an upset, do think the attendance will be going up this season as IU keeps peforming well and Penix/Deboer keep working an exciting offense. Takes time, we'll get there.
Just more excuses why IU fans don’t go to games. Florida plays UT Martin this weekend and they will have 90,000. I know people will say it’s Florida and they have history. But they were not very good until Spurrier arrived for the most part but still drew people. The amazing thing is that Allen has been able to draw the classes he has with the lack of attendance. Also Pu has drawn people coming off miserable seasons. A couple of tds in last couple of games are the only difference in records. I don’t understand why people go to that s..,hole stadium.

Just more excuses why IU fans don’t go to games. Florida plays UT Martin this weekend and they will have 90,000. I know people will say it’s Florida and they have history. But they were not very good until Spurrier arrived for the most part but still drew people. The amazing thing is that Allen has been able to draw the classes he has with the lack of attendance. Also Pu has drawn people coming off miserable seasons. A couple of tds in last couple of games are the only difference in records. I don’t understand why people go to that s..,hole stadium.
4-14 is Allen’s record in conference the last two years. That’s beating Illinois, Rutgers twice, and Maryland. People aren’t going to come to the games just because he was able to get two top 40 recruiting classes. He has to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT