ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsberg passes on at 87

Anyway, it's an interesting peek inside. It's funny how Gaetz, Massie, Ro Khanna and Katie Hill are pretty good buds. There's a really good happy hour scene with Hill and Gaetz (after she resigned) where they are just hanging and she's like 'cmon Matt, your Trump love is an act. I love you but I don't understand.... I could never...)
The party animals always find each other.

just stupid what did she do
She set up that stoopid fvcking email server. Because she couldn't be bothered to follow the protocols. And she was too stoopid to know how to print documents sent to her, so she sent them to Huma, who used pervy Tony's laptop to print them out.

Don't get me wrong, I voted for her and think she would have made a fine President, but she lost and it's all on her. She was an awful candidate.

She set up that stoopid fvcking email server. Because she couldn't be bothered to follow the protocols. And she was too stoopid to know how to print documents sent to her, so she sent them to Huma, who used pervy Tony's laptop to print them out.

Don't get me wrong, I voted for her and think she would have made a fine President, but she lost and it's all on her. She was an awful candidate.

She was easily the worst candidate I've ever seen. The first female candidate to head a major party ticket. Trump and all his womanizing. Comments towards women "treat em like sh!t" "move on her like b!tch", "grab em by the...". Yet 52% of white women voted for the Donald. Simply unbelievable.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
No chance there is time to confirm a nominee prior to the election. The lame duck session is of course a different question. If Trump loses, it's going to be quite a circus show during the lame duck
John Paul Stevens was confirmed in 19 days.

Maybe time for a constitutional amendment specifying a timeframe to replace a judge on the SC? I’m not a constitutional expert by a long shot but thoughts??

These incumbents are going to look at the polls and see if they will win or lose suburban voters. If they lose suburban voters, a confirmation will not happen before the election. Peter's just happened to be in the list from last night's polling so appears below.

StateDemocratD %RepublicanR %StartEndPollster
ArizonaMark Kelly50%Martha McSally*42%Sep 10Sep 15Siena Coll.
ArizonaMark Kelly52%Martha McSally*35%Sep 12Sep 16Redfield and Wilton Strategies
MaineSara Gideon49%Susan Collins*44%Sep 11Sep 16Siena Coll.
MichiganGary Peters*45%John James41%Sep 10Sep 15EPIC-MRA
MichiganGary Peters*51%John James35%Sep 12Sep 14Redfield and Wilton Strategies
North CarolinaCal Cunningham42%Thom Tillis*37%Sep 11Sep 16Siena Coll.
North CarolinaCal Cunningham49%Thom Tillis*38%Sep 12Sep 15Redfield and Wilton

Hell, nominate Merrick Garland. Not something I would normally say, but somebody needs to toss the olive branch out there, and try to get some king of functionality out of our 2 parties. They both suck, incredibly. All the while, people of this country are dying, suffering, starving, homeless, drug addicted, etc. The narratives of both parties, and yes, it is both, are so immoral, so wrong.
Garland would be a far better choice for the pubs, than letting Biden/Harris do it. And Garland would be a far better choice to the Dems than to have Trump/McConnell do it, which the have every legal right to do.

And here’s the POTUS throwing gasoline on the fire. I would expect nothing else. Damn we need a leader right about now.

Trump, Barr, and McConnell. I don't know that the republic will survive the triumvirate intact.
I told everyone I could how bad this was going to be. But I really thought there would be more Republicans of integrity that would step in. This is a very dangerous time in our country.

Reactions: UncleMark
I told everyone I could how bad this was going to be. But I really thought there would be more Republicans of integrity that would step in. This is a very dangerous time in our country.

You thought WHAT!!

Yes, especially walking through downtowns of virtually every US city.
Yes, especially walking through downtowns of virtually every US city.
Yes the headline of our Sunday paper is Homicide City. Our democrat mayors and prosecutors have done a smashing job over the last 50 years. From a great city of 900,000 down to 300,000 and headlines line above.

If Mitch McConnell does jam this through I could see an 11-member Supreme Court in 2021

Trouble is, in 50 years there might be 41 members.
I thought McTurtle's stance in 2016 was a bad idea. I still think waiting on the confirmation hearings is still a bad idea.

However, Republican Party should be renamed to Hypocrite Party.

I wouldn't count on integrity, but political survival might force a few to do the right thing whether they want to or not.

Trump team really needs to consider Coney Barrett or another woman, the optics are just so much better.

Everyone buckle in for more left wing violence if this goes through. It's amazing that one of our major parties actually has a militant, violent wing hiding behind fighting for "justice".

Trouble is, in 50 years there might be 41 members.
I thought McTurtle's stance in 2016 was a bad idea. I still think waiting on the confirmation hearings is still a bad idea.
McConnell broke the system beyond repair in 2016. The best that can be hoped for is that the result of his malfeasance can be rectified.

McConnell broke the system beyond repair in 2016. The best that can be hoped for is that the result of his malfeasance can be rectified.
Um, no, actually to “repair” it, all that has to happen is that the people in power choose to do the right thing, but many of you are going to use the cop out that “they have no choice” & can’t possibly do what’s right because of the deplorable actions of deplorable people. Same shit, different labels. Libs are always throwing rocks at cons but are no better...

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
Let’s face it. All politicians suck. So I’m conservative. A lot here are liberal. Can’t we agree that all these people in power are pieces of shit? I vote a certain way because I like the philosophy of the party. But I think the people I vote for are generally hypocritical pieces of shit.

Um, no, actually to “repair” it, all that has to happen is that the people in power choose to do the right thing,
That would be waiting until after the election, and if Biden wins then not confirming a Trump nominee. I don't think anyone is seriously advocating for reconstituting the Court in that circumstance. But if McConnell and Trump ram a new Justice through notwithstanding a Biden win, then all bets are off.

Reactions: brianiu

The integrity shortage resides in the mayor and governor offices of most blue cities and states. They are even throwing black cops and police chiefs under the bus; for what purpose? Their purpose certainly isn’t to protect the rights and property of most residents and business owners. They favor “protesters” instead.

Even liberal Democrats have had it with this Democratic B.S.

Let’s face it. All politicians suck. So I’m conservative. A lot here are liberal. Can’t we agree that all these people in power are pieces of shit? I vote a certain way because I like the philosophy of the party. But I think the people I vote for are generally hypocritical pieces of shit.
That sounds good, but the reality is that the "philosophy" of today's Republican Party is "whatever Trump wants". That's their freaking party platform, for cryin' out loud.

That would be waiting until after the election, and if Biden wins then not confirming a Trump nominee. I don't think anyone is seriously advocating for reconstituting the Court in that circumstance. But if McConnell and Trump ram a new Justice through notwithstanding a Biden win, then all bets are off.
There it is...

The integrity shortage resides in the mayor and governor offices of most blue cities and states. They are even throwing black cops and police chiefs under the bus; for what purpose? Their purpose certainly isn’t to protect the rights and property of most residents and business owners. They favor “protesters” instead.

Even liberal Democrats have had it with this Democratic B.S.
Posts like this are why most here consider you a douchebag. What does this have to do with the discussion at hand? Absolutely nothing. Care to weigh in on how the Senate should handle a Trump SC nomination?

Reactions: T.M.P.
That would be waiting until after the election, and if Biden wins then not confirming a Trump nominee. I don't think anyone is seriously advocating for reconstituting the Court in that circumstance. But if McConnell and Trump ram a new Justice through notwithstanding a Biden win, then all bets are off. We’re only willing to do what’s right if it favors us...
Fify

McConnell was wrong on Garland. Deliberately delaying a new SCOTUS nominee is also wrong and weakens our system of governance. Such a delay is nothing but a rejection of the prior election hoping that the next one will be more acceptable. That’s nuts. Murkowski and anybody else who uses the next election as an excuse for urging the Senate to go into hiding needs to resign.

McConnell was wrong on Garland. Deliberately delaying a new SCOTUS nominee is also wrong and weakens our system of governance. Such a delay is nothing but a rejection of the prior election hoping that the next one will be more acceptable. That’s nuts. Murkowski and anybody else who uses the next election as an excuse for urging the Senate to go into hiding needs to resign.
You're a freaking riot. No matter that it was wrong, McConnell's extra-constitutional gambit proved profitable for the Republicans, but now they should do the right thing... and profit again?

Or stop electing democrat mayors. Just a thought. Having your Sunday paper declare your city Homicide City after 50 years of Dems running it is aggravating. 900,000 to 300,000 pop in that time. Ridiculous.
Are there not a lot of factors? White flight leaving behind economic wastelands plays no role?

Then we closed all the institutions which Heritage says causes crime to increase (https://www.heritage.org/firearms/commentary/how-mass-deinstitutionalization-harmed-the-mentally-ill):

Several studies have found that having fewer psychiatric beds is associated with higher crime rates, including for violent crimes such as murder and assault. There are also strong indications that the dramatic rise in violent crime during the 1980s and 1990s was, in large part, an effect of deinstitutionalization and the massive influx of individuals with untreated mental illness back into their communities.

Meanwhile, the equally sudden decline of crime rates in the 1990s and 2000s can be explained in large part by the “reinstitutionalization” of these

You're a freaking riot. No matter that it was wrong, McConnell's extra-constitutional gambit proved profitable for the Republicans, but now they should do the right thing... and profit again?

Yes.

The fact that you see a SCOTUS nominee as “profitable” for a party is at least partly due to the jurisprudence of jurists like Ginsberg. I can understand why she and many don’t want Trump to fill the vacancy. Hopefully Trump will pick another Gorsuch and begin to return the court to judging instead of politicking.

BTW, this isn’t Ginsberg’s seat. It’s our seat.

Are there not a lot of factors? White flight leaving behind economic wastelands plays no role?

Then we closed all the institutions which Heritage says causes crime to increase (https://www.heritage.org/firearms/commentary/how-mass-deinstitutionalization-harmed-the-mentally-ill):

Several studies have found that having fewer psychiatric beds is associated with higher crime rates, including for violent crimes such as murder and assault. There are also strong indications that the dramatic rise in violent crime during the 1980s and 1990s was, in large part, an effect of deinstitutionalization and the massive influx of individuals with untreated mental illness back into their communities.

Meanwhile, the equally sudden decline of crime rates in the 1990s and 2000s can be explained in large part by the “reinstitutionalization” of these
Many of these blighted cities have had dem mayors for half a century straight. DeBlasio just got called out this past week in a penned letter by business leaders to do something about crime. I think there’s truth that Dems are too soft on crime as mayors and prosecutors. I agree with the mental health issues you cite but soft on crime is an issue. For offenders the recidivism rate is through the roof. Anecdotally I wonder if things would be better with more republicans running local government and more Dems running national.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT