ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsberg passes on at 87

No. It will not be interesting. Mitch will do nothing. But the opening for the next president will be a rallying cry. But for which side?

RIP RBG.

Well, looks like am wrong and Mitch said he would bring a nominee to the floor. Guess I need to assume Trump will send one.

Reactions: Lucy01
So what?

Elections mean things.

McConnell, worthless pos that he is,
controls the Senate, which confirms all federal judgeships.

Butthurt Libtards are irrevelent.

Get over yourself.

Everything you've posted is common knowledge, as far as who currently controls the Senate. I think that is about to change as the GOP has 8 very vulnerable Senators facing re-election in very tough battles and none of them are safe.

Murkowski is not up for re-election and neither is Romney, but I don't think either will be inclined to vote for a SCOTUS nominee prior to the election. That leaves very vulnerable incumbents like Collins and Gardner who are running in states Trump will lose (ME and CO) even more vulnerable than they already were.

Many of these GOP Senators are already running away from Trump and purposely not even mentioning his name in their ads. At this point for many of them trying to ram through a SCOTUS nominee under these circumstances amounts to political suicide...

There is not going to be a political fight about the next Supreme Court Justice. It's going to be a straight-up ass kicking. Mitch McConnell will line up a candidate that will carry a republican majority of the Senate and it's going to be over. It doesn't matter what McConnell said in 2016. That was then and this is now.

There is not going to be a political fight about the next Supreme Court Justice. It's going to be a straight-up ass kicking. Mitch McConnell will line up a candidate that will carry a republican majority of the Senate and it's going to be over. It doesn't matter what McConnell said in 2016. That was then and this is now.
He will not have 51 votes. No way.

It will be VERY interesting to see how McConnel tries to hide his double-dealing. Scalia died in Feb 2016, and for the next 10 mos Mitch held up the nominating process on the basis of Scalia being a conservative and the people having the right to choose (via election) who would fill his spot.

So here is RBG dying less than 2 mos from election day. She is the opposite of a Conservative, we are much closer to the election than we were in 2016, and the people should have the right to the same oppty that Mitch said they deserved in 2016. Right?

The question is, will people hold his feet to the fire?

What 'people'?
This is the exact situation, in terms of exercise of political power as 2016.
Elections mean things, as Dimcrats are about to (again) be taught.

I'm sure I'm caught up in the moment, but for me this is a gut punch bested only by Trumps election. If McConnell gets away with ramming another Justice through, the Court will never be viewed the same, and the republic will be damaged for a generation or more.

He will not have 51 votes. No way.
Is the VP a tie breaker in confirmations? I have a niggling thought in the back of my head that the VP doesn't get a vote... He only needs 50 with Pence.

Murkowski, Collins, and Romney are not locks by any means. Rachel quoted Graham in 2018 that he'd not move a SC nominee out of committee under these circumstances. Gardner is another one who might not fall in line...

Is the VP a tie breaker in confirmations? I have a niggling thought in the back of my head that the VP doesn't get a vote... He only needs 50 with Pence.

Murkowski, Collins, and Romney are not locks by any means. Rachel quoted Graham in 2018 that he'd not move a SC nominee out of committee under these circumstances. Gardner is another one who might not fall in line...
Yes Pence could be a 51st vote if there is a tie

So far, Murkiwski, Collins, Romney, Grassley, and surprise Lindsey Graham. Do I have lots of hope that they will hold true to that? Not exactly.

Reactions: outside shooter

Hahaha!
Whistling through the graveyard has apparently given way to whistling through the doublewides...

Everything you've posted is common knowledge, as far as who currently controls the Senate. I think that is about to change as the GOP has 8 very vulnerable Senators facing re-election in very tough battles and none of them are safe.

Murkowski is not up for re-election and neither is Romney, but I don't think either will be inclined to vote for a SCOTUS nominee prior to the election. That leaves very vulnerable incumbents like Collins and Gardner who are running in states Trump will lose (ME and CO) even more vulnerable than they already were.

Many of these GOP Senators are already running away from Trump and purposely not even mentioning his name in their ads. At this point for many of them trying to ram through a SCOTUS nominee under these circumstances amounts to political suicide...

Wasn't there a poster on this board in 2016(seems to have crawled under a rock or died?) who assured everyone within range that Trump. Will. Not
Win.!
Where is that guy?
He was entertainment!!

I really liked RBG. I didn’t always agree with her, but she is exactly what a SC judge should hope to be. RIP.

Political events tend to have unintended consequences. While on the surface, an open seat would seem to be a blessing for the GOP, I can see many other ways it could be a curse. This is one of those scenarios where the more you push, the more violent a backfire effect.

No chance there is time to confirm a nominee prior to the election. The lame duck session is of course a different question. If Trump loses, it's going to be quite a circus show during the lame duck

Reactions: Cortez88
Secureactblue has raised 7 million dollars in 3 hours. They had amassed 3.5 million in a year. These funds are evenly split between senate seats most likely to flip from red to blue. Update: make that 11 million and it’s not slowing down. Said they are getting $1,000 a second. My FB feed is full of people donating to campaigns for the first time ever.

Last edited:
No. No. No.
Okay, maybe there is a way out. The GOP fails to fill this seat, Trump loses, and Biden fills it. At that point, maybe everyone says, "Okay, we're even, let's take a deep breath and start over." I could see that.

But if the GOP fills this seat, and then Trump loses? Or, even worse, he loses, and then they fill this seat? I'm sorry, but I don't see any way back from that.

Okay, maybe there is a way out. The GOP fails to fill this seat, Trump loses, and Biden fills it. At that point, maybe everyone says, "Okay, we're even, let's take a deep breath and start over." I could see that.

But if the GOP fills this seat, and then Trump loses? Or, even worse, he loses, and then they fill this seat? I'm sorry, but I don't see any way back from that.
Yep I’ve been against court packing all along. If they take two seats this way, I’ll be all in. If Trump wins, obviously he gets it. If Biden wins, no way should they have this one.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Yep I’ve been against court packing all along. If they take two seats this way, I’ll be all in. If Trump wins, obviously he gets it. If Biden wins, no way should they have this one.

Agree. How do we get back to Roberts and Kennedy?

If you are expecting Mitch McConnell to be anything other than a hypocritical piece of human garbage the next few weeks you are sadly mistaken.

he basically said as much.

tenor.gif

Reactions: brianiu
Secureactblue has raised 7 million dollars in 3 hours. They had amassed 3.5 million in a year. These funds are evenly split between senate seats most likely to flip from red to blue. Update: make that 11 million and it’s not slowing down. Said they are getting $1,000 a second. My FB feed is full of people donating to campaigns for the first time ever.

If you like this stuff I'd recommend a documentary on HBO called 'The Swamp'.

It follows a couple of fairly new republican senators (Matt Gatez, Thomas Massey and others).

It tries to explain why there's so much money in congress and how being in congress is mostly made up by how well you can fund raise.

Two points:

1. Newt Gingrich is the one blamed for the environment. Newt really pushed the envelope on fundraising while figuring out that you can raise much more money by being divisive, not working together. The more you fight the other party the more money you raise.

2. Gatez and Massie. They both start as 'let's get stuff done and work together' and then Gaetz learns the Newt rule, the more divisive and controversial you are, the higher your profile gets, the more news time you get and the more donations come flooding in. It shows his rise under Trump. Not going to lie, it's a side of him that's redeeming and he fully knows the arena he's playing which isn't for everyone. As he said he doesn't go out much anymore and he can handle the negative social media attacks.

Massie is portrayed as a guy who believes he was sent there to represent his people but he keeps getting forced to toe the republican line, which he hates. He ends up pissing Trump off and Trump has him primaried and bashes him on twitter. His point was, instead of doing my job I now have to phone bank for money for the next nine months because I've been primaried. So my election takes up nearly all of my time now.

Anyway, it's an interesting peek inside. It's funny how Gaetz, Massie, Ro Khanna and Katie Hill are pretty good buds. There's a really good happy hour scene with Hill and Gaetz (after she resigned) where they are just hanging and she's like 'cmon Matt, your Trump love is an act. I love you but I don't understand.... I could never...)

Anyway, good show.

If Mitch McConnell does jam this through I could see an 11-member Supreme Court in 2021

Meaningless gabble.

H. Clinton and her operatives are said to have thrown away over $1B to be defeated by a political novice with no Party affiliation, nor organization.
The Dimcrats can spend another$1B...
Slow Joe will only get more demented as the days pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT