ADVERTISEMENT

Running for Trustee - Keep 100% of BTN Revenue in the Athletic Dept.

Great questions. In my opinion, a tuition cap is a little different than rent control. The original issue with rent is that government capped profit on the private sector thus supply diminished. This resulted in non-capped property seeing a large spike. I believe a self-imposed cap wouldn't hurt supply.

I favor lowering costs across the board vs financial aid for a few reasons. One, the financial aid process is a maze (I used to help families try to navigate the maze at my first job). Various scholarships, grants, and general aid are applied inconsistently (the actually create externalities a little bit like rent control!). Two, it is my contention that the entire collegiate system is creating a nation-wide debt problem. We have to find a way to educate our population at a lower cost. IU should be a leader in solving that problem.

As to your initial point about what if this doesn't work? I'm running to be a part of the board to bring a different point of view to the room. If these ideas were accepted, they could just as easily be reversed.

In-state tuition at IUB is $10k/yr. That's barely any higher than it was when I graduated 16 years ago. It's basically been that rate for the last 6-7 years from what I can tell.

I'm beginning to think you don't know WTF you are talking about. If you are complaining about out-of-state tuition hikes, IDGAFF. That's a luxury purchase that those students and families choose to make.

You are correct that IU has done a relatively good job of holding down tuition. You should care about out of state tuition (especially out of country tuition). They are extremely important to balance the budget. I'm working on some more detailed analysis on IU's Consolidated Financial Statements (https://vpcfo.iu.edu/resources/consolidated-annual-financial-reports.html) but in the meantime a quick look at in-state tuition through https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/tuition-and-fees. In State has increased from $4,202 when I was a freshman in 99 to $10,681 in 2018. That's an extra $25k over four years in just tuition without factoring in mandatory fees and room/board.

Great questions. In my opinion, a tuition cap is a little different than rent control. The original issue with rent is that government capped profit on the private sector thus supply diminished. This resulted in non-capped property seeing a large spike. I believe a self-imposed cap wouldn't hurt supply.

I favor lowering costs across the board vs financial aid for a few reasons. One, the financial aid process is a maze (I used to help families try to navigate the maze at my first job). Various scholarships, grants, and general aid are applied inconsistently (the actually create externalities a little bit like rent control!). Two, it is my contention that the entire collegiate system is creating a nation-wide debt problem. We have to find a way to educate our population at a lower cost. IU should be a leader in solving that problem.

As to your initial point about what if this doesn't work? I'm running to be a part of the board to bring a different point of view to the room. If these ideas were accepted, they could just as easily be reversed.
The only way to decrease revenue without hurting education would be to increase efficiency. I don't see universities as having had a lot of incentive to increase efficiency which is a large part of the problem behind the tuition increases. Which areas do you think would most benefit from this and do you have any ideas of actual measures that could be implemented which would improve the efficiency while also not hurting education?

I think it would be an uphill battle, as it would require a culture change. I see the problem as not just IU but across academia as a whole so it wouldn't be as simple as bringing in new personnel as they'd likely have a similar mindset.

The only way to decrease revenue without hurting education would be to increase efficiency. I don't see universities as having had a lot of incentive to increase efficiency which is a large part of the problem behind the tuition increases. Which areas do you think would most benefit from this and do you have any ideas of actual measures that could be implemented which would improve the efficiency while also not hurting education?

I think it would be an uphill battle, as it would require a culture change. I see the problem as not just IU but across academia as a whole so it wouldn't be as simple as bringing in new personnel as they'd likely have a similar mindset.

The state has been cutting money to IU for years. State appropriations were 25% of revenue in 2005, they are only 17% now.

And as I noted.... in-state tuition hasn't really gone up at all for years. I think it was actually frozen for 3-4 years, then went up like 1.5% in the last year or so.

Enrollment peaked about 6-7 years ago...and has flat-lined since. And is expected to start dropping in coming years due to lower birth rates. This is across the board in higher-ed.... not really an IU phenomenon.

This seems like a debate that's about 10+ years behind the times. Schools have been tightening purse strings for a good while.

Reactions: UncleMark
The state has been cutting money to IU for years. State appropriations were 25% of revenue in 2005, they are only 17% now.

And as I noted.... in-state tuition hasn't really gone up at all for years. I think it was actually frozen for 3-4 years, then went up like 1.5% in the last year or so.

Enrollment peaked about 6-7 years ago...and has flat-lined since. And is expected to start dropping in coming years due to lower birth rates. This is across the board in higher-ed.... not really an IU phenomenon.

This seems like a debate that's about 10+ years behind the times. Schools have been tightening purse strings for a good while.
I would be more interested to hear what’s going to be done to raise the value of those tuition dollars. IU has fallen to at or near the bottom of the Big Ten. It used to be held in much higher regard.

Agreed, 2002. So the real issue isn't really the cost of providing an education by IU and likely other state schools but the lowering of the funding by the state. It really is an issue of what priority the state should give to allow access to higher and all education for public schools.

Of course, as Brian points out, the student is at the end of the line and has to shoulder the net costs. But, it appears that the university is generally holding fairly steady but the shortfall from the state is passed to the students.

It irks me no end that the 'Great Recession' resulted in cutting of this and other state services...and the spending cap people don't see how that results in the disadvantaged and the poor getting the shaft.

My name is Brian Davidson and I am running for the Indiana University Board of Trustees. Before I explain who I am, I want to express WHY I am running.

My platform consists of two very simple messages.

First, I support immediate TUITION CAPS to ensure Indiana University students are earning the highest possible return on their educational investment. I do not believe the university is adequately changing its financial and educational models to compete in our rapidly changing communities and economies. Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and other disruptive technologies will radically transform our lives and our world in the coming decade. Universities will need to adapt. Or, they will risk saddling students with outdated skills and mountains of debt. Tuition caps will encourage the university to leverage technology to increase teaching efficiency, reevaluate degrees and programs that do not attract student interest or provide students with reasonable economic prospects, and help curb the devastating growth of student debt.

Second, I support giving Indiana University’s student-athletes the financial resources necessary to achieve excellence on the field and in the classroom. As trustee, I will work to see that 100% of B1G Network Revenue remains in the athletic department. The hundreds of Hoosier student-athletes have EARNED that money representing our school in thousands of competitions across the country. It should be spent supporting them and their pursuit of excellence, both athletic and academic. While athletics may seem a trivial pursuit for a university, one does not have to look far to see the financial and community benefits derived from having a successful athletic department, such as those maintained at universities in neighboring Michigan and Ohio.

Who am I?

I graduated from the Kelley School of Business in 2004 with degrees in entrepreneurship, marketing, and management. I was a member of my fraternity’s executive council and participated in our national philanthropic outreach event - bicycling over 3,700 miles across the United States to raise money and awareness for people with disabilities. The experience had a profound effect on my core values.

Post-graduation, I settled in Chicago, where I had the opportunity to put my education and entrepreneurial mindset to work when starting my business, Matchnode Digital Marketing. Matchnode has had the privilege of working with numerous well-known brands, but none more so than the Indiana Alumni Association and Foundation. I regularly participate in alumni events in the Chicago-land area, and have even had the pleasure of hiring several Indiana University graduates.

Over the years, my passion for Indiana University has never wavered. Each fall, I renew my near weekly pilgrimage down I-65 and Route 37 to watch Hoosier football, basketball, and soccer. My family and I planted a tree outside Memorial Stadium, I bought an RV for fall weekends, and I met my wife, a fellow Hoosier, at a football tailgate. My wife and I were married at Beck Chapel last year, something I once dreamed about during a campus walk during my freshman orientation.

I believe my dedication to Indiana University, my perspective as a digital business owner, and my focus on student economics give me a unique voice for change. I humbly ask for your consideration to represent you as a trustee.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss any of my positions at 812-322-0585 or visit my website at briandavidsonfortrustee.com.

Gently put, you have a lot to learn. Your profile indicates that you have a lot of learning to do before you should be entrusted with the privilege of a trustee position at a flagship university.

The diversion of a BTN funds absolutely has impacted the quality of facilities. Purdue has a $65 million football only complex because they don’t divert TV revenue to non-athletics activities. IU’s athletics facilities are not elite by any stretch of the imagination, even in basketball. The $60 million or so McRobbie has stolen could have been used to build a football only complex or provide elite facilities for basketball or fund the salaries of proven head coaches.

The "diversion" of B1G funds has likely impacted facilities; however, you're wrong about Purdue. One of the big complaints among Purdue fans was that former President Cordova consistently used BTN/Athletics funding to support projects in other campus domains. I'm not sure the degree to which this is or isn't happening under Mitch, but Purdue has historically used B1G funds to support the university beyond athletics.

Gently put, you have a lot to learn. Your profile indicates that you have a lot of learning to do before you should be entrusted with the privilege of a trustee position at a flagship university.

I’m not a traditional candidate for this position. I was an out-of state student and would be an out of state trustee. I bring the experience of a young entrepreneur with a great passion for our alma mater. I believe my profile would bring a different perspective to the board and be a positive voice for change. If nothing else, please vote in the election even if it's for my opponent!

A) where do your figures come from?

B), rather than just giving us the percentage of revenues from the state vs from other sources, how much per "in state" student does IU get from the state today, vs 10 yrs ago, vs 20 yrs ago, vs 30 yrs ago, vs 40 yrs ago, vs 50 yrs ago?

is the amount IU gets from the state dolled out per in state student, or is it a lump sum?

C), as for enrollment rates, why do you assume enrollment rates are tied to birth rates, rather than other factors such as affordability, the growing disproportional distribution of incomes, runaway healthcare and housing costs eating up a greater and greater percent of household income for many to most people?

A) where do your figures come from?

B), rather than just giving us the percentage of revenues from the state vs from other sources, how much per "in state" student does IU get from the state today, vs 10 yrs ago, vs 20 yrs ago, vs 30 yrs ago, vs 40 yrs ago, vs 50 yrs ago?

is the amount IU gets from the state dolled out per in state student, or is it a lump sum?

C), as for enrollment rates, why do you assume enrollment rates are tied to birth rates, rather than other factors such as affordability, the growing disproportional distribution of incomes, runaway healthcare and housing costs eating up a greater and greater percent of household income for many to most people?

1) straight from the financial reports linked above.

2) no clue... why don't you tackle that research project and get back to us

3) I don't assume anything....These are hard numbers based upon amount of HS graduates in the state.

IU’s total enrollment peaked at about 94,000 in 2011. The Great Recession helped drive this increase, with more people choosing school over work. As the economy recovered, total enrollment began to decline. IU’s regional campuses were hit hardest because they serve smaller areas. The Bloomington campus recruits students from all over the world and was able to continue growing, until recently.

Fall enrollment on the Bloomington campus peaked in 2016 and has decreased slightly each year since. That trend is likely to continue. The number of high school students graduating in Indiana is expected to peak at about 75,000 this year, according to Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education figures. It’s estimated to fall by about 5,000 in two years, recover slightly and then fall to about 68,000 by the end of the next decade.

https://www.fwbusiness.com/fwbusiness/article_d56dfcfd-2b07-534f-ba22-c969ae92191a.html

The "diversion" of B1G funds has likely impacted facilities; however, you're wrong about Purdue. One of the big complaints among Purdue fans was that former President Cordova consistently used BTN/Athletics funding to support projects in other campus domains. I'm not sure the degree to which this is or isn't happening under Mitch, but Purdue has historically used B1G funds to support the university beyond athletics.

again,

BTN money is only a minor percentage of athletics generated tv/media money the conference doles out.

everyone should probably stop trying to differentiate BTN money from the other tiers of athletics' generated tv/media money.

whether the money comes from Fox, or specifically BTN, or from Disney/ESPN, or from CBS, seems irrelevant to me.

how said money gets divided between athletics and education, should depend on need.

i'm less convinced than others that IU's basketball and football results are directly related to spending, moreso than many other factors.

Last edited:
1) straight from the financial reports linked above.

2) no clue... why don't you tackle that research project and get back to us

3) I don't assume anything....These are hard numbers based upon amount of HS graduates in the state.

IU’s total enrollment peaked at about 94,000 in 2011. The Great Recession helped drive this increase, with more people choosing school over work. As the economy recovered, total enrollment began to decline. IU’s regional campuses were hit hardest because they serve smaller areas. The Bloomington campus recruits students from all over the world and was able to continue growing, until recently.

Fall enrollment on the Bloomington campus peaked in 2016 and has decreased slightly each year since. That trend is likely to continue. The number of high school students graduating in Indiana is expected to peak at about 75,000 this year, according to Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education figures. It’s estimated to fall by about 5,000 in two years, recover slightly and then fall to about 68,000 by the end of the next decade.

https://www.fwbusiness.com/fwbusiness/article_d56dfcfd-2b07-534f-ba22-c969ae92191a.html

your link gave no hard numbers for the state's financial contribution to IU.

only a percentage vs tuition.

your total enrollment max of 94,000 is a hard number.

but why enrollment would increase or decrease from that number is merely conjecture imo, as imo the total available pool of kids of college age is only one factor.

affordability and need for a college degree i would think play a huge part as well.

the cost of housing, especially in Btown, a factor as well. (part of "affordability", i realize).

i'm guessing a lot greater percent of HS kids would go on the college if it were more affordable.

again,

BTN money is only a minor percentage of athletics generated tv/media money the conference doles out.

everyone should probably stop trying to differentiate BTN money from the other tiers of athletics' generated tv/media money.

whether the money comes from Fox, or specifically BTN, or from Disney/ESPN, or from CBS, seems irrelevant to me.

how said money gets divided between athletics and education, should depend on need.

i'm less convinced than others that IU's basketball and football results are directly related to spending, moreso than many other factors.

I have no idea why any of these thoughts were directed to my post. It is all irrelevant. You say that division of funds should depend on need, but "need" is largely subjective and different people can reasonably come to different conclusions about that. There are lots of needs; which needs you prioritize depend on your personal values, preferences, and ambitions.

I actually do support the transfer of funds from athletics to academics and think that BTN money is a fine way to make that happen. I can at the same time support that and understand, very plainly, that in cases like the Global and International Studies Building, that transfer of funds means that the athletic department did not spend $26M on things, like facilities and coaches, making my observation purely factual.

I have no idea why any of these thoughts were directed to my post. It is all irrelevant. You say that division of funds should depend on need, but "need" is largely subjective and different people can reasonably come to different conclusions about that. There are lots of needs; which needs you prioritize depend on your personal values, preferences, and ambitions.

I actually do support the transfer of funds from athletics to academics and think that BTN money is a fine way to make that happen. I can at the same time support that and understand, very plainly, that in cases like the Global and International Studies Building, that transfer of funds means that the athletic department did not spend $26M on things, like facilities and coaches, making my observation purely factual.

they weren't directed at you.

merely pointing out again that BTN isn't the big media revenue generator.

perhaps people just use "BTN" as a catch all for all athletic tv/media revenue, since while it isn't the big media revenue generator for athletics, many seem to think it is.

i will stand by my assertion that our current basketball or chronic football situations aren't based in, or solved by, just money.

and how that money is spent, matters just as much as how much is spent.

imo going all in on increasing fball attendance, moreso than concrete, steel, and glass, would do the most to help football at this point.

i'd make fball admission free for IU students, and start adult admission at $10, with $1 tics for kids thru HS age. (i go even cheaper if that doesn't work)

no reserved seats, no points, prices not guaranteed for all games, for cheap tics. that should greatly cut down on any cannibalism of existing sales.

and while existing sales might be cannibalized some, don't care.

imo, it wouldn't cost all that much once parking and incremental sales revenues are factored in, and would be a much better use of funds than upgrading from gold plated to solid gold toilets.

at this point, our facilities aren't our problem imo.

the big recruiting fball issue we have today that actually can be controlled by the administration, is attendance.

therefore that's where i'd like to see the financial "commitment" at this point, not more and more and more and more facilities upgrades.

as for basketball, i don't think the problem is attendance or one that can be solved by money.

RMK being out of control while here, and pro scorched earth when not, started the problem.

a string of bad decisions and bad judgement, (starting with letting RMK get out of control from the start), kept it going.

as for athletics vs education.

athletics only makes cent one because it has Indiana University in the name, so i don't really care if the "university" side gets some.

if there was some real athletics need at this point that i thought could be solved by money, that would be one thing.

but other than drastically helping fball attendance, i just don't see any other problem being solved by throwing more money at it.

another 15,000-20,000 fans per game in the stands, would help recruiting. and performance.

if Fred can't make that happen, i think i could make it happen.

it won't happen with the current mentality.

when "winning" brings the fans willing and able to pay the big bucks, all "thinking" can be adjusted at that point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT