ADVERTISEMENT

Running for Trustee - Keep 100% of BTN Revenue in the Athletic Dept.

Apr 5, 2019
Chicago
My name is Brian Davidson and I am running for the Indiana University Board of Trustees. Before I explain who I am, I want to express WHY I am running.

My platform consists of two very simple messages.

First, I support immediate TUITION CAPS to ensure Indiana University students are earning the highest possible return on their educational investment. I do not believe the university is adequately changing its financial and educational models to compete in our rapidly changing communities and economies. Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and other disruptive technologies will radically transform our lives and our world in the coming decade. Universities will need to adapt. Or, they will risk saddling students with outdated skills and mountains of debt. Tuition caps will encourage the university to leverage technology to increase teaching efficiency, reevaluate degrees and programs that do not attract student interest or provide students with reasonable economic prospects, and help curb the devastating growth of student debt.

Second, I support giving Indiana University’s student-athletes the financial resources necessary to achieve excellence on the field and in the classroom. As trustee, I will work to see that 100% of B1G Network Revenue remains in the athletic department. The hundreds of Hoosier student-athletes have EARNED that money representing our school in thousands of competitions across the country. It should be spent supporting them and their pursuit of excellence, both athletic and academic. While athletics may seem a trivial pursuit for a university, one does not have to look far to see the financial and community benefits derived from having a successful athletic department, such as those maintained at universities in neighboring Michigan and Ohio.

Who am I?

I graduated from the Kelley School of Business in 2004 with degrees in entrepreneurship, marketing, and management. I was a member of my fraternity’s executive council and participated in our national philanthropic outreach event - bicycling over 3,700 miles across the United States to raise money and awareness for people with disabilities. The experience had a profound effect on my core values.

Post-graduation, I settled in Chicago, where I had the opportunity to put my education and entrepreneurial mindset to work when starting my business, Matchnode Digital Marketing. Matchnode has had the privilege of working with numerous well-known brands, but none more so than the Indiana Alumni Association and Foundation. I regularly participate in alumni events in the Chicago-land area, and have even had the pleasure of hiring several Indiana University graduates.

Over the years, my passion for Indiana University has never wavered. Each fall, I renew my near weekly pilgrimage down I-65 and Route 37 to watch Hoosier football, basketball, and soccer. My family and I planted a tree outside Memorial Stadium, I bought an RV for fall weekends, and I met my wife, a fellow Hoosier, at a football tailgate. My wife and I were married at Beck Chapel last year, something I once dreamed about during a campus walk during my freshman orientation.

I believe my dedication to Indiana University, my perspective as a digital business owner, and my focus on student economics give me a unique voice for change. I humbly ask for your consideration to represent you as a trustee.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss any of my positions at 812-322-0585 or visit my website at briandavidsonfortrustee.com.

My name is Brian Davidson and I am running for the Indiana University Board of Trustees. Before I explain who I am, I want to express WHY I am running.

First, I support immediate TUITION CAPS to ensure Indiana University students are earning the highest possible return on their educational investment. I do not believe the university is adequately changing its financial and educational models to compete in our rapidly changing communities and economies. Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and other disruptive technologies will radically transform our lives and our world in the coming decade. Universities will need to adapt. Or, they will risk saddling students with outdated skills and mountains of debt. Tuition caps will encourage the university to leverage technology to increase teaching efficiency, reevaluate degrees and programs that do not attract student interest or provide students with reasonable economic prospects, and help curb the devastating growth of student debt.

Second, I support giving Indiana University’s student-athletes the financial resources necessary to achieve excellence on the field and in the classroom. As trustee, I will work to see that 100% of B1G Network Revenue remains in the athletic department. The hundreds of Hoosier student-athletes have EARNED that money representing our school in thousands of competitions across the country. It should be spent supporting them and their pursuit of excellence, both athletic and academic. While athletics may seem a trivial pursuit for a university, one does not have to look far to see the financial and community benefits derived from having a successful athletic department, such as those maintained at universities in neighboring Michigan and Ohio.

Who am I?

I graduated from the Kelley School of Business in 2004 with degrees in entrepreneurship, marketing, and management. I was a member of my fraternity’s executive council and participated in our national philanthropic outreach event - bicycling over 3,700 miles across the United States to raise money and awareness for people with disabilities. The experience had a profound effect on my core values.

Post-graduation, I settled in Chicago, where I had the opportunity to put my education and entrepreneurial mindset to work when starting my business, Matchnode Digital Marketing. Matchnode has had the privilege of working with numerous well-known brands, but none more so than the Indiana Alumni Association and Foundation. I regularly participate in alumni events in the Chicago-land area, and have even had the pleasure of hiring several Indiana University graduates.

Over the years, my passion for Indiana University has never wavered. Each fall, I renew my near weekly pilgrimage down I-65 and Route 37 to watch Hoosier football, basketball, and soccer. My family and I planted a tree outside Memorial Stadium, I bought an RV for fall weekends, and I met my wife, a fellow Hoosier, at a football tailgate. My wife and I were married at Beck Chapel last year, something I once dreamed about during a campus walk during my freshman orientation.

I believe my dedication to Indiana University, my perspective as a digital business owner, and my focus on student economics give me a unique voice for change. I humbly ask for your consideration to represent you as a trustee.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss any of my positions at 812-322-0585 or visit my website at briandavidsonfortrustee.com.

If you had attached an updated list of recruits (including juco's) you'd get more time at the top of the board...;):D

Add that list of JUCO's and you'll spend the rest of the day at the top...:D

Who am I?

Please add hire a competent AD to your platform and you will have strong support.

Who am I?

Thanks for your interest in the IU Trustee position and posting your thoughts on this site.

It is difficult to state positions and support them. And it is easy to find issues with stated positions. So please do not take the following as a negative.

While changing technologies will impact all of our lives and education, I'm not sure that I follow your logic relative to: "... Tuition caps will encourage the university to leverage technology to increase teaching efficiency, reevaluate degrees and programs that do not attract student interest or provide students with reasonable economic prospects, and help curb the devastating growth of student debt..."

While surpressing the growth in tuition seems to be a lofty goal, I don't see that it will encourage the university to leverage technology. Nor do I see it increasing teaching efficiency. And how will it encourage the university to reevaluate degrees and programs that are not attractive to students or provide economic prospects? For example, does cultural anthropology or journalism seem to you to not provide economic prospects? Should these be cut?

I think that imposing caps on tuition may have other ramifications that have not been depicted. What happens to the infrastructure renewal and replacement capital plans or to instructors' salaries and benefits?

And lastly, the revenues from BTN might also be shared by other non-sports areas due to the fact that Indiana University is not just a sports brand (no pun intended). Some of the reasons for the popularity for the sports-related broadcasts may be in part or indirectly due to those other areas. Finally, there are some benefits gained by the athletic department directly and indirectly from the other areas of the university. So sharing of a portion of the revenues may make sense from that cost accounting perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest in the IU Trustee position and posting your thoughts on this site.

It is difficult to state positions and support them. And it is easy to find issues with stated positions. So please do not take the following as a negative.

While changing technologies will impact all of our lives and education, I'm not sure that I follow your logic relative to: "... Tuition caps will encourage the university to leverage technology to increase teaching efficiency, reevaluate degrees and programs that do not attract student interest or provide students with reasonable economic prospects, and help curb the devastating growth of student debt..."

While surpressing the growth in tuition seems to be a lofty goal, I don't see that it will encourage the university to leverage technology. Nor do I see it increasing teaching efficiency. And how will it encourage the university to reevaluate degrees and programs that are not attractive to students or provide economic prospects? For example, does cultural anthropology or journalism seem to you to not provide economic prospects? Should these be cut?

I think that imposing caps on tuition may have other ramifications that have not been depicted. What happens to the infrastructure renewal and replacement capital plans or to instructors' salaries and benefits?

And lastly, the revenues from BTN might also be shared by other non-sports areas due to the fact that Indiana University is not just a sports brand (no pun intended). Some of the reasons for the popularity for the sports-related broadcasts may be in part or indirectly due to those other areas. Finally, there are some benefits gained by the athletic department directly and indirectly from the other areas of the university. So sharing of a portion of the revenues may make sense from that cost accounting perspective.
Geez...what shitty major department do you teach in?

Geez...what shitty major department do you teach in?
Why did you and snarlcakes add little value to the conversation while just dissing someone? Couldn't you two try to think about an issue rather than just a sarcastic response?

I have no vested interest in Indiana University. Graduated in Business/Finance at IU-Bloomington. But I do care deeply about the University and follow the basketball, football, soccer, swimming etc. teams closely. Live out of state and am lucky to return to see games.

But, go ahead and respond like you do. Fun, eh?

Someday, hopefully, you will see that the world is not made of single issues. It is complex.

Try listening and responding with empathy. Why not show why one should support the OP's original post.

Reactions: speroni
Why did you and snarlcakes add little value to the conversation while just dissing someone? Couldn't you two try to think about an issue rather than just a sarcastic response?

I have no vested interest in Indiana University. Graduated in Business/Finance at IU-Bloomington. But I do care deeply about the University and follow the basketball, football, soccer, swimming etc. teams closely. Live out of state and am lucky to return to see games.

Someday, hopefully, you will see that the world is not made of single issues. It is complex.

Try listening and responding with empathy. Why not show why one should support the OP's original post.
I apologize...

The fact that you didnt also post this on the football board sort of irks me. Probably shouldn't but it does. I'm not saying you are one but reversible jacket fans are the worst.

And yes. BTN money should all go to the athletic department or for supporting programs.

Reactions: IUgradman
The fact that you didnt also post this on the football board sort of irks me. Probably shouldn't but it does. I'm not saying you are one but reversible jacket fans are the worst.

And yes. BTN money should all go to the athletic department or for supporting programs.

Very fair statement. To be honest, I don't follow recruiting, so I haven't followed message boards for years. I've also started threads on ITH, Rivals and Peegs in the last 7 days and don't want to overly spam users.

I think your question centers on my football commitment. I have been a season ticket holder since I moved to Chicago in 2008. I live in Chicago yet keep an RV in Bedford for football games. I would guess that I'm one of the few alums that have been to the last 8+ Bucket games and both bowl games.

I think its vitally important for IU to compete at the highest level in all sports. Frankly, I made the choice to post here first, assuming almost all hoops fans are also football fans (and soccer, baseball, softball, swimming, etc!) I doubt that the bizarre IU/Notire Dame fan is represented here.

Reactions: moneyadvisor

In fairness, there is a two-way flow of money with athletics and the university's general fund. At least some athletic department personnel salaries and benefits are paid from the general fund. So are the expenses of operating the facilities. The workers who landscape and clear parking lots are not athletic dept. employees nor are the police officers who direct traffic and provide security, or the custodial staff that maintain athletic buildings and offices - just to name a few.

It's also worth noting that the Big Ten is an academic organization as well as an athletic one. Conference schools pool resources for research and libraries as well as other academic pursuits. As an alum and a varsity club donor, I don't object at all to some money being returned to the university at large, especially if it is for a program or facility that raises the profile or advances the mission of IU as a world-class university.

I can't say that I'm drawing a link between returning some money to the university and a shortfall of vital funding for athletics. Plenty of money seems to be flowing into improving amenities and programs for athletes, as well as upgrading facilities. The fact that football and basketball aren't winning at the desired rate is the culmination of a variety of factors. In my opinion, some tv money being re-directed from athletics isn't much - if any- of a factor in this at all.

In fairness, there is a two-way flow of money with athletics and the university's general fund. At least some athletic department personnel salaries and benefits are paid from the general fund. So are the expenses of operating the facilities. The workers who landscape and clear parking lots are not athletic dept. employees nor are the police officers who direct traffic and provide security, or the custodial staff that maintain athletic buildings and offices - just to name a few.

It's also worth noting that the Big Ten is an academic organization as well as an athletic one. Conference schools pool resources for research and libraries as well as other academic pursuits. As an alum and a varsity club donor, I don't object at all to some money being returned to the university at large, especially if it is for a program or facility that raises the profile or advances the mission of IU as a world-class university.

I can't say that I'm drawing a link between returning some money to the university and a shortfall of vital funding for athletics. Plenty of money seems to be flowing into improving amenities and programs for athletes, as well as upgrading facilities. The fact that football and basketball aren't winning at the desired rate is the culmination of a variety of factors. In my opinion, some tv money being re-directed from athletics isn't much - if any- of a factor in this at all.

The Big ten is both an academic and athletic entity. However the BIG network is solely for athletics. The money is coming from the network which is affiliated with ESPN and ABC for TV rights to sporting events. Not the conference.

Very fair statement. To be honest, I don't follow recruiting, so I haven't followed message boards for years. I've also started threads on ITH, Rivals and Peegs in the last 7 days and don't want to overly spam users.

I think your question centers on my football commitment. I have been a season ticket holder since I moved to Chicago in 2008. I live in Chicago yet keep an RV in Bedford for football games. I would guess that I'm one of the few alums that have been to the last 8+ Bucket games and both bowl games.

I think its vitally important for IU to compete at the highest level in all sports. Frankly, I made the choice to post here first, assuming almost all hoops fans are also football fans (and soccer, baseball, softball, swimming, etc!) I doubt that the bizarre IU/Notire Dame fan is represented here.

Thank you for your response! However sadly there is a lot of ND football fans here. Please Venture over to the football boards. They would love to hear from you. Good luck and thank you.

Reactions: 76-1
The Big ten is both an academic and athletic entity. However the BIG network is solely for athletics. The money is coming from the network which is affiliated with ESPN and ABC for TV rights to sporting events. Not the conference.
Fair enough. So should the university bill the athletic department for every dollar the university spends for athletic support ? Should it require the athletic department to hire, pay, and provide benefits for all personnel who provide labor or services to the athletic department ? Should it force the athletic department to cover the costs of all utilities for its facilities ? Should it require the athletic department to purchase all the equipment and supplies necessary to maintain those facilities ?

If the income should be the exclusive property of the athletic department, shouldn't the department in return make sure that it is not using any resources provided by the university ?

Reactions: brianiu

Honest question for you: What percentage of current revenue from BTN has been siphoned off to the university?

BTN is most certainly not affiliated with ESPN or ABC. Until you can get the basic facts right, not much else you say is relevant.

Reactions: muubell and brianiu

The diversion of a BTN funds absolutely has impacted the quality of facilities. Purdue has a $65 million football only complex because they don’t divert TV revenue to non-athletics activities. IU’s athletics facilities are not elite by any stretch of the imagination, even in basketball. The $60 million or so McRobbie has stolen could have been used to build a football only complex or provide elite facilities for basketball or fund the salaries of proven head coaches.

The diversion of a BTN funds absolutely has impacted the quality of facilities. Purdue has a $65 million football only complex because they don’t divert TV revenue to non-athletics activities. IU’s athletics facilities are not elite by any stretch of the imagination, even in basketball. The $60 million or so McRobbie has stolen could have been used to build a football only complex or provide elite facilities for basketball or fund the salaries of proven head coaches.
Every word of this is pure fantasy.

Kind of amazing isn't it that all these athletic facility builds and upgrades we have seen happen before our very eyes in the past 10 years (and continuing to this day) have managed to take place with "Bernie Madoff" McRobbie siphoning off the life savings of the AD.

Never underestimate the commitment of a moron with an agenda.

That's one way to spin it. I am empathic towards students who have to pay outrageous tuition costs. Every study shows college tuition fees have far outpaced inflation and I am not sure how anyone could be against a board member or President's who tries to freeze or slow down those costs. Also, look into how top heavy colleges have become. I can't remember the exact stat, but over the last 30 years (it may have been 40) the ratio of Professors to administrators has fallen from 4 to 1 to 1.5 to 1. I do have empathy, it's just for the 18 year old kid who can't afford college.

Kind of amazing isn't it that all these athletic facility builds and upgrades we have seen happen before our very eyes in the past 10 years (and continuing to this day) have managed to take place with "Bernie Madoff" McRobbie siphoning off the life savings of the AD.

Never underestimate the commitment of a moron with an agenda.
And Purdue athletics definitely returns money to the university, among other lies.

Wouldn't bolstering IU’s flagging academic standing within the Big Ten be more appropriate, since the University consistently ranks among the two or three lowest in the conference?

That's one way to spin it. I am empathic towards students who have to pay outrageous tuition costs. Every study shows college tuition fees have far outpaced inflation and I am not sure how anyone could be against a board member or President's who tries to freeze or slow down those costs. Also, look into how top heavy colleges have become. I can't remember the exact stat, but over the last 30 years (it may have been 40) the ratio of Professors to administrators has fallen from 4 to 1 to 1.5 to 1. I do have empathy, it's just for the 18 year old kid who can't afford college.
Here's another way to spin it. We could cut several million dollars from the athletic department budget and give a huge tuition break to all student at IUB. I haven't seen anyone here (including myself) advocating for that idea.

It's a little hypocritical to be expressing outrage about tuition and at the same time actively blasting the university for not spending more on lavish athletic amenities and shelling out the big bucks for the best basketball and football coaches money can buy (while at the same time wasting more dollars for the million dollar buyouts of the coaches we want fired after two years on the job)

Outrageous tuition is a result of convincing young people that they need ultimately worthless degrees and providing to then taxpayer assistance in the form of student loans.

Outrageous tuition is a result of convincing young people that they need ultimately worthless degrees and providing to then taxpayer assistance in the form of student loans.
The current student loan debt is $1.6 trillion and that is equal to the total of US credit card debt plus car debt. You dump trillions of dollars into a system that provides a lot of worthless paper in trade then the cost of the worthless paper will go up.

The current student loan debt is $1.6 trillion and that is equal to the total of US credit card debt plus car debt. You dump trillions of dollars into a system that provides a lot of worthless paper in trade then the cost of the worthless paper will go up.
What they will receive for their dollars in many cases is the strange belief that they are Special and oh so Smart.

Here's another way to spin it. We could cut several million dollars from the athletic department budget and give a huge tuition break to all student at IUB. I haven't seen anyone here (including myself) advocating for that idea.

It's a little hypocritical to be expressing outrage about tuition and at the same time actively blasting the university for not spending more on lavish athletic amenities and shelling out the big bucks for the best basketball and football coaches money can buy (while at the same time wasting more dollars for the million dollar buyouts of the coaches we want fired after two years on the job)

i'm indifferent on the athletic department keeping all of it's BIG network revenue. I don't know enough about it to have an informed opinion. I do like your idea on giving breaks to all students at IUB. I am just a big proponent of anyone who is for tuition cuts or freezes.

I do disagree that it's hypocritical to express outrage on tuition costs and also wanting the athletic departments to shell out the big bucks. The issue with tuition is student loans and the government arbitrarily driving up costs, which in the end straps students with outlandish amounts of debt. The Big Ten network money is made solely by athletics in a free market and doesn't saddle anyone with debt (To be clear, I probably agree with you when it comes to sharing some of the money with students or other parts of the school).

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticArisen
I hear you but have a different perspective on liberal educations. While a technical or professional education focus is necessary for many reasons in society, many believe that the liberal education provides lots.

Liberal arts education is typically broad-based and exposes students to science, mathematics, social sciences, and humanities. This broad knowledge of the wider world will prepare one to deal with complexity, diversity, and change. A liberal arts education will also help one develop a strong sense of social responsibility as well as strong and transferable intellectual and practical skills, such as communication, analytical, and problem-solving abilities, and a demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and skills in real-world settings.

I have a business degree and an engineering degree (not from Purdue). But many of my treasured classes were in the liberal arts areas. For instance: music, theater, psychology, sociology, cultural anthropology, English, Spanish, literature, geology, philosophy, political science, public speaking, even athletics.

I believe a well-rounded education assists one in many social areas. I think that many engineers and technical experts would benefit greatly learning more about other cultures and ways of life. And how to live within a society of many different people.

I hear you but have a different perspective on liberal educations. While a technical or professional education focus is necessary for many reasons in society, many believe that the liberal education provides lots.

Liberal arts education is typically broad-based and exposes students to science, mathematics, social sciences, and humanities. This broad knowledge of the wider world will prepare one to deal with complexity, diversity, and change. A liberal arts education will also help one develop a strong sense of social responsibility as well as strong and transferable intellectual and practical skills, such as communication, analytical, and problem-solving abilities, and a demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and skills in real-world settings.

I have a business degree and an engineering degree (not from Purdue). But many of my treasured classes were in the liberal arts areas. For instance: music, theater, psychology, sociology, cultural anthropology, English, Spanish, literature, geology, philosophy, political science, public speaking, even athletics.

I believe a well-rounded education assists one in many social areas. I think that many engineers and technical experts would benefit greatly learning more about other cultures and ways of life. And how to live within a society of many different people.
Sorry but just don’t agree. Liberal arts education has become non analytical and ideological based that produces students who are unable to even hear other viewpoints let alone consider them.

Many engineers work successfully outside the US and there is a huuuge difference between studying an ideological analysis about how another culture works versus how it actually works on a day by day basis.

"The $53 million building was funded entirely through university sources with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university."

https://iu.mediaspace.kaltura.com/media/Global+and+International+Studies+Building+Dedication+Ceremony/1_f7ozd2pd

Sorry but just don’t agree. Liberal arts education has become non analytical and ideological based that produces students who are unable to even hear other viewpoints let alone consider them.

Many engineers work successfully outside the US and there is a huuuge difference between studying an ideological analysis about how another culture works versus how it actually works on a day by day basis.
Funny, I have found the opposite from what is posted in your first paragraph. But, I can understand your viewpoint. Such a polarizing media today doesn't allow those closer to the middle of the issues to have their say. Which results on the right seeing the left as inflexible and vice versa. Extremists get in the news because of their extremism.

And as to the second paragraph, there is a difference in studying and total immersion in a culture. But, one should not exclude the other. I have found that studying Spanish has increased my desire to go to Spain and to Latin America. It also gives a leg up on just going there. Which I have done too. I have volunteered to assist immigrants to study and to pass the US Citizenship Tests and Interviews. My wife volunteers to teach and is active in English as a Second Language classes through a local county program.

So we disagree on both accounts. But do appreciate the comments.

Employers today want cogs for their machines. They're not willing to take someone with a broad based liberal arts degree and train them up for a position. They'd rather go with the plug-n-play candidate.

It's the same in the trades. Industry used to provide apprenticeships, and strong unions would train up new workers to go into their respective fields. Now that the unions have been broken and the industries themselves aren't willing to provide the training, all you hear is whining about how there aren't enough qualified workers.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT