ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Moore done fo(u)r?

So it's looking like there will be a write in campaign. This late in the game, it's hard to imagine it would be successful. Is there any type of history for this? I'd think it would be difficult, but it's obvious that many in Alabama would prefer to vote for a pedophile over a Democrat, so I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

If you don't believe there was some type of Russian collusion at this point, you need to have that hat permanently welded to your head. The only question is how high a level it reached.

Washington is awash in Russian money and influence. The high-powered Podesta group abruptly closed its doors over shenanigans about that. The "only" question is not how high of a level. The only question is what laws were broken.

Reading with a bias. The WaPo never said there were 30 corroborators.

But that is beside the point. The whole narrative about how this "open secret" fell in to WaPo's lap is fishy. You might be right. But it isn't unreasonable to believe that WaPo knew the story would destroy Moore based upon its documented history of wanting to hurt the GOP in any way, including publishing fake news about Trump (Comey asked for more resources and Rosenstein threatened to quit over Comey). WaPo's lack of credibility is established; totes.

What's telling is that your big takeaway from this is that the WaPo is wrong for publishing a story about Moore's fondness for sexual no-nos with underage women. Somebody's lack of credibility is definitely established, but it's not the WaPo's.

Washington is awash in Russian money and influence. The high-powered Podesta group abruptly closed its doors over shenanigans about that. The "only" question is not how high of a level. The only question is what laws were broken.
Pivot.

Reactions: iuwclurker1
Looks like they are trying to get Moore to step aside for a Luther Strange write in campaign.

What's telling is that your big takeaway from this is that the WaPo is wrong for publishing a story about Moore's fondness for sexual no-nos with underage women. Somebody's lack of credibility is definitely established, but it's not the WaPo's.

What's telling is your inability to read, understand, and respond. I never said WaPo was wrong for publishing the story. It's a story that should be investigated and published.

Okay, Allred's client seems credible to me.

She claims Moore offered to give her a ride home when she was a waitress (had just turned 16). He drove behind the restaurant and then locked her in the car and groped her/tried to force himself on her. He eventually gave up when she resisted. Said Moore told her that she was just a kid and nobody would believe her if she told anyone since he was the local DA.

They have a signed love note in her yearbook from Moore and she told her younger sister a couple years later. Told her husband & mother too.

Says she is willing testify under oath in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Trump supporter, FWIW.

Reactions: twenty02
Republicans sent Donnie Trump to the White House so being told you don’t meet “ethical or moral requirements” could understandably be laughed off by Moore

I'm realistic in that the National GOP doesn't want anything to do with Moore because he'd be an albatross around their own neck. And they already have a big enough one of those with the White House occupant.

Reading with a bias. The WaPo never said there were 30 corroborators.

But that is beside the point. The whole narrative about how this "open secret" fell in to WaPo's lap is fishy. You might be right. But it isn't unreasonable to believe that WaPo knew the story would destroy Moore based upon its documented history of wanting to hurt the GOP in any way, including publishing fake news about Trump (Comey asked for more resources and Rosenstein threatened to quit over Comey). WaPo's lack of credibility is established; totes.
Your reasoning is so easy to shoot holes through it's like winning stuffed animals at King's Island. Following your logic, why didn't the NY Times or any other outlet scoop this story? Keep digging CoHoo.

Anyone know how the December Alabama Senate election works? What if no candidate has a majority of the votes?

The polls will be neck and neck but he will win by 5-8 points.
It will be interesting to see if there is a "Bradley effect" on women for this. I could see it going either way. This will tell a whole lot about women from Alabama. One would think that Jones would win this easily. Are they repulsed by Moore or secretly turned on?

George Will doesn't like Roy Moore much:

Roy Moore is an embarrassment. Doug Jones deserves to win.

Evangelical Christians who embrace Moore are serving the public good by making ridiculous their pose as uniquely moral Americans, and by revealing their leaders to be especially grotesque specimens of the vanity — vanity about virtue — that is curdling politics. Another public benefit from the Moore spectacle is the embarrassment of national Republicans. Their party having made the star of the “Access Hollywood” tape president, they now are horrified that Moore might become 1 percent of the Senate. Actually, this scofflaw, twice removed from Alabama’s Supreme Court, once for disobeying a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, is a suitable sidekick for the president who pardoned Joe Arpaio, Arizona’s criminal former sheriff. Even after Donald Trump conceded that Barack Obama was born in United States, Moore continued rejecting such squishiness.​

It will be interesting to see if there is a "Bradley effect" on women for this. I could see it going either way. This will tell a whole lot about women from Alabama. One would think that Jones would win this easily. Are they repulsed by Moore or secretly turned on?
I can't comment on that, since I don't know any Alabama women. I thought I knew women before Trump, but I don't know the kind of women that would vote for him or a man like Moore, fortunately.

@CO. Hoosier what's your opinion on the Senate possibly voting to expel Moore?[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of moving part here.

First is the issue of Moore deliberately defying federal court orders. That violated his oath of office as a public official. It violates his ethical duties as a state supreme court justice. It violates his ethical duties as a lawyer. As far as I am concerned that makes him unqualified and unsuited to be a United States Senator. I have zero tolerance for this crap. Our system of government depends 100% on the officials following the rules and Moore didn't. I support the Senate refusing to accept him as a member. The weakness in my argument is found in the Constitutional provisions giving the Senate authority to determine the qualifications of its members. Arguably that authority applies only to the objective qualifications such as residence and age. Remember when this clause was written, Senators were appointed by state legislatures and not elected. An elected official's intangible qualifications are up to the voters.

Second is the issue of expulsion. I think that mean expulsion for misconduct as a Senator, not for what happened before he becomes a member. Allegations of criminal conduct preceding selection as a senator wouldn't seem to qualify for expulsion.

Third, and again arguably, if something new about his sexual offenses come up after he becomes a member, maybe he could be expelled.

In the final analysis Moore is a disgrace. His record is sufficiently unprecedented that I would begin with a motion to not accept him as a member and let the chips fall.

Looks like they are trying to get Moore to step aside for a Luther Strange write in campaign.

I wonder if they might use the Torricelli precedent set in New Jersey -- where it was too late by state law to replace him on the ballot after he became toxic....but the NJ Dems did anyway and won a blessing in the courts.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The liberal media conspiracy has expanded well beyond WaPo, now including even the people in Roy Moore's home town, who say they regarded him as a skeevy perv:

Report: locals say Roy Moore was banned from an Alabama mall

Over a dozen sources in Alabama, including lawyers, police officers and a "major political figure," told the New Yorker's Charles Bethea that they had heard Roy Moore was banned from the Gadsden Mall for bothering teenage girls.

Two of the women whose allegations against Moore were printed in the Washington Post said that's where they met him. A police officer told Bethea: "The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates." Another said, "I heard from one girl who had to tell the manager of a store at the mall to get Moore to leave her alone."

The liberal media conspiracy has expanded well beyond WaPo, now including even the people in Roy Moore's home town, who say they regarded him as a skeevy perv:

Over a dozen sources in Alabama, including lawyers, police officers and a "major political figure," told the New Yorker's Charles Bethea that they had heard Roy Moore was banned from the Gadsden Mall for bothering teenage girls.

Two of the women whose allegations against Moore were printed in the Washington Post said that's where they met him. A police officer told Bethea: "The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates." Another said, "I heard from one girl who had to tell the manager of a store at the mall to get Moore to leave her alone."

Apparently, even for AL, the people in that town felt it was a bit weird for a 30 something to be hanging out at the HS or at the malls.

Per the Breitbart NewGOP...the response now is so what? He liked teenage girls. It's normal.

A super friendly guy even back then...

aptopix_alabama_senate_moore_248705232.jpg

The Republicans are screwed and it's their own doing. It's what happens when you nominate crazies to represent your party. CO's favorite candidate, Sarah Palin, was a serious move in the direction of losing your party. Trump was the topper. Roy Moore is not going anywhere. He won't drop out of the race. Why would he? To do so would admit guilt. It would end any hope of not only politics, but visible future business opportunities. And his past history of having to be forced off the bench, twice, demonstrates his mindset. But if he's elected the Republicans are worse off. There is no way the Senate will allow him to be seated. They will take action against him. And that will lead to lawsuits. And the courts will be a long approach to a solution. That's one less vote in the Senate for Republicans. This "tax reform bill" is only going to get harder to pass the closer we get to the end of the year. Republican leadership will get desperate. They will have to pair the bill down, but that will lose support from conservatives. If they pass anything, it will be a very watered down version. That will anger their donors. Trump and Bannon have put the Senate and House in jeopardy. Of course the Alabama election could go forward and Moore could lose outright. Imagine how the election of the first Democratic Senator from Alabama since the 60s will play out in the 2018 national elections.

I'd rather see Jones win since that'd be the biggest check on Trump and puts control of the Senate in play in 2018. Much harder to govern with a 51-49 majority versus 52-48. Can only lose 2 Republicans and if you lose one you have to have everyone present including Pence to break a tie.

Moore winning would probably be a bigger short-term headache for the GOP to deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT