ADVERTISEMENT

Rowing machine a good workout.

I'm at the point where I can't a can't out-exercise a bad diet, but I can't diet my way out of anything like I used to be able to do either. Up until my mid 40's I could mix in a salad for lunch a few times/week, switch to lite beer and drop 10 lbs in 2 weeks without doing any additional workouts. Those days are gone.

I hear you. I noticed a diff around the early 40s. The other thing about getting older is you lose your muscle mass faster. (I took a break from exercise for 48hrs and my weight dropped nearly a kg! All this without any reduction in food intake.)

I hate to say this but cutting out empty calories like alcohol makes a big difference.

Beer begets more beers!!

Or you cut down on sugars.

One piece of advice given to me is that you cut your meal size or portions.

The US portions are way, way too big. I always forget whenever I go back. Most people outside the US don't eat such volume.

I remember my first trip back after several years away. I brought a GF with me to the Grand Canyons (my spiel -- cant remember how many times I have done that trip but never the same person!)
I flew in direct from SG to Phoenix then drove up to Flagstaff for the night.

I remember taking the girl out for some tex-mex. Ordered and shared an appetizer and had a main course each.
I remember not being able to finish the feckin' appetizer! Had to doggie bag the main course.

Volume is a frog in boiling water. You just get so used to it that you don't realise it. Seems that satisfaction comes from quantity rather than quality.

I really got tired of being super full/stuffed after working out of India.
The feckers there not only eat very late dinners but also very heavy meals. I would go back to my hotel at 11 pm after a heavy meal and struggle to fall asleep or at best very poor quality sleep, rolling around. Satisfaction there is about being very full, stuffed to the gills as a sign of wealth or at least 'having made it'.

There is a reason why the Japanese have the longest life expectancy. They eat smaller meals but more exquisite quality. If I ate Japanese food every day I would probably live to 100.

The other approach is the diabetics' diet -- eat five small meals a day. So your engine is constantly turning.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott and sdhoosier
The way I avoid this/manage this is to pop two ibuprofens before I sleep after a strenuous workout since I usually bike at night.

The other thing is that when you do repetitive/steady-state exercises is that you need to make sure the fitting is correct.

Like in biking, the fit of the saddle is critical, especially for long rides. The same mechanical movements will eventually grind down on your muscles if the saddle is too high or too low. But my concern would be for my right knee and my popliteus flaring up and pulling things out of alignment -- and thus causing the inflammation.

Even in biking, I avoided using the clip-in (clipless) shoes as they would lock my leg movement/position -- so, if wrong from the start would eventually work its way up into my knee. (I use a pair of Five-tens which are grippy mountain bike shoes instead.)

Is there some perfect/correct/form or 'fit' Consultant CRM Salesforce(like in bike saddle) for rowing? Is the form the same for everyone or is it personalisable based on your height, torso, arm lengths etc?
I used to train an a Concept 2 and loved it, I could easily knock out 20.000m in a session time being the only restraint. But they are not for everyone and many people hate them, I guess in the same way as I can’t get my head around training on a turbo…

I've had multiple surgeries for cartilage, ligament, etc... had an ACL reconstruction and finally the knee was just bone on bone... I was told knee replacement was the next step and had it done about 3+ years ago.

I would just say to you to explore all options before that. I have read that a decent percentage of patients were disappointed in the total knee replacement results.. and I was one of them. My knee ended up worse off than before.

I have seen doctors since that say that a TNR revision is more complicated than the initial knee replacement with odds of 1/3 for an improvement, 1/3 about the same and 1/3 the knee is worse.

Activities that I had planned on doing after retirement (primarily hiking) I am unable to do. I guess at some point I will have to go forward with the revision surgery and hope for the best...for now I am reluctant to do so with those odds .

I have spoken to several people who had great results from replacement, but I guess I am here to say it's not a slam dunk and I would use it as a last resort.

Hopefully the injections will continue to show improvement and you can kick the can down the road as far as replacement.

22c76d2602a758efe415252afeed5f7c.jpg
Hey ya ol' coot, how's the recovery going? I'd had a couple bad back spasms after a good hard row about 2 months ago and got on the rower for the first time Monday night. Just did a fairl comfortable row of about 15 minutes to get going again and it felt good and no back issues. I don't think I realized how much the rowing was actually good for me knee, but it's gotten weaker and more limited range of motion since I've not been working out and I could tell the rowing would get it strengthened back up. I've been working on stretching and strengthening for my back, so I hope that allows me to get back to rowing 100%.

Hey ya ol' coot, how's the recovery going? I'd had a couple bad back spasms after a good hard row about 2 months ago and got on the rower for the first time Monday night. Just did a fairl comfortable row of about 15 minutes to get going again and it felt good and no back issues. I don't think I realized how much the rowing was actually good for me knee, but it's gotten weaker and more limited range of motion since I've not been working out and I could tell the rowing would get it strengthened back up. I've been working on stretching and strengthening for my back, so I hope that allows me to get back to rowing 100%.

Hey hoss ..recovery is coming along..sounds like 6-9 months expected before back to near normal..my p.t. said rowing will be part of the rehab so I'm excited about that. Glad to be out of the sling most of the time and able to use my right hand again although I was starting to get good wiping my ass lefty.

Glad to hear your back is better and you're back on the rower..I concur about rowing being good for the knees...my knee replacement has been hurting more since I stopped rowing cause of the shoulder..

Hang in there..old guys rule!

Reactions: kkott
250K a month? Damn, between you and SD, I've got to row more/longer. My million meters took me almost 2 years but I had a long stretch where I wasn't rowing. I've gotten more into it lately, but I try and do it every other day and then do some strength training on the off days. I was afraid if I did it every day, I'd be more likely to get injured. I generally go about 5-6K but think I will start trying to have some longer row days and try to get up to 10K.

SD, my knee has been giving me problems, so after those 2 timed rows, I've been on the shelf for a couple weeks. Seems to be feeling better and I'm going to the Dr tomorrow so hopefully I can get it back in check and get back to rowing. Missing it! also check this out Car Broker. if you are in search of car brokers.
What are the key benefits of using a rowing machine as a workout tool compared to other cardiovascular exercise equipment? How does rowing provide a full-body workout and engage multiple muscle groups simultaneously? Are there any specific considerations, such as proper technique or intensity levels, that should be taken into account to maximize the effectiveness of a rowing machine workout? Furthermore, can you provide insights into how incorporating a rowing machine into a fitness routine has helped individuals achieve their fitness goals or improve their overall health and wellness?

What are the key benefits of using a rowing machine as a workout tool compared to other cardiovascular exercise equipment? How does rowing provide a full-body workout and engage multiple muscle groups simultaneously? Are there any specific considerations, such as proper technique or intensity levels, that should be taken into account to maximize the effectiveness of a rowing machine workout? Furthermore, can you provide insights into how incorporating a rowing machine into a fitness routine has helped individuals achieve their fitness goals or improve their overall health and wellness?
fk off bot

Hey hoss ..recovery is coming along..sounds like 6-9 months expected before back to near normal..my p.t. said rowing will be part of the rehab so I'm excited about that. Glad to be out of the sling most of the time and able to use my right hand again although I was starting to get good wiping my ass lefty.

Glad to hear your back is better and you're back on the rower..I concur about rowing being good for the knees...my knee replacement has been hurting more since I stopped rowing cause of the shoulder..

Hang in there..old guys rule!
How's your recovery coming? I got some back spasms a few months ago and am just now trying to ease back in to rowing. Did 15 minutes last night, and that's about what I'm going to try and do 2-3 X per week, along with some strength training and riding, and see how my back responds. I need one of sgl's 25 year old Thai massage ladies here to help w my recovery! Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

How's your recovery coming? I got some back spasms a few months ago and am just now trying to ease back in to rowing. Did 15 minutes last night, and that's about what I'm going to try and do 2-3 X per week, along with some strength training and riding, and see how my back responds. I need one of sgl's 25 year old Thai massage ladies here to help w my recovery! Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

You got that right!

P.T. continues 2xweek and home exercises couple times a day..slow but steady improvement..I'm now about 3 and a half months out from surgery..am told its 9-12 months for complete recovery so a long way to go.

My p.t. says ok to return to light rowing ...will start that next week for 15 minutes 3xweek and slowly work up from there. Will be good to get going again and working toward that free shirt for 5MM!

Good luck with the back spasms..they're no fun.

Good to see this thread banging me up side the head again. It was because of this thread that I bought a Concept 2 - bought it directly from https://www.roguefitness.com/black-concept-2-rowerg-rower-pm5-black - why? I did a ton of searches for ‘a good used one’ because I’m a cheap SOB and for a few more bucks you can get a brand new one with zero minutes on it.

You can do the research if you want, but there’s nothing like rowing for what really matters and for those of us that struggle getting to the gym or those that have high impact limitations. The rowing concept first entered my consciousness years ago after reading this article in Outside Magazine https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/water-activities/scull-crushers/

I was intrigued by this Mary Elizabeth Stone character mentioned in the article who began rowing in her 60’s and in her 80’s was one of the studs among the members of the Open Water Rowing Cub, Sausalito, CA. Here’s a short interview with her…

Not sure if she mentioned it here but I read her story somewhere else where she had some serious health issues in her early 60’s and her doctor recommended rowing for all the known reasons. You can basically sit down and do a full body workout with cardio to boot.

Had a bad motorcycle accident back May of ‘19, went down and slid into oncoming traffic, ended up under a Yukon. Femur went through my hip socket. Two surgeries with an amazing doctor (UCLA Trauma Center) and haven’t felt a thing until recently. Time to get back on the row machine.

Reactions: kkott and sdhoosier
Good to see this thread banging me up side the head again. It was because of this thread that I bought a Concept 2 - bought it directly from https://www.roguefitness.com/black-concept-2-rowerg-rower-pm5-black - why? I did a ton of searches for ‘a good used one’ because I’m a cheap SOB and for a few more bucks you can get a brand new one with zero minutes on it.

You can do the research if you want, but there’s nothing like rowing for what really matters and for those of us that struggle getting to the gym or those that have high impact limitations. The rowing concept first entered my consciousness years ago after reading this article in Outside Magazine https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/water-activities/scull-crushers/

I was intrigued by this Mary Elizabeth Stone character mentioned in the article who began rowing in her 60’s and in her 80’s was one of the studs among the members of the Open Water Rowing Cub, Sausalito, CA. Here’s a short interview with her…

Not sure if she mentioned it here but I read her story somewhere else where she had some serious health issues in her early 60’s and her doctor recommended rowing for all the known reasons. You can basically sit down and do a full body workout with cardio to boot.

Had a bad motorcycle accident back May of ‘19, went down and slid into oncoming traffic, ended up under a Yukon. Femur went through my hip socket. Two surgeries with an amazing doctor (UCLA Trauma Center) and haven’t felt a thing until recently. Time to get back on the row machine.
Freaking bots are getting better and better. Scary

Im resurrecting this gem of a thread because I just bought an ergatta. Did 5k two days in a row. Low-key addicted so far.
Awesome, congrats! It is addicting. I had zero rowing experience before and I did have a back issue when I really started getting into timed/hard rows. Concept2/ERG has a website where you can post your times and rows and keeps track of both and allows you to compare vs other rowers worldwide. You can sort by age, sex, and location so I really got into it because it was the first athletic competition I'd been able to do in 20+ years.

So, my advice: 1) take it slow to start and listen to your body. 2) watch videos or go see someone who can coach and critique your stroke to make sure you're doing it right. 3) Stretch and strengthen. 4) be sure you are using a heart rate monitor. Intense workout and can get your HR way up there fast. I'm 58 so you can probably get by without too much focus on these if you're younger and healthier. If that's the case, I'd focus on being sure you are using a good stroke and you'll probably be set for a very long time! Glad to have another rower on board!

PS, go see Boys In the Boat, but more importantly: get the book!

Here's a short video I thought was good on form (I don't row barefoot, but I do usually wear very thin watershoes, as I like the feel):

Last edited:
Reactions: sdhoosier
Awesome, congrats! It is addicting. I had zero rowing experience before and I did have a back issue when I really started getting into timed/hard rows. Concept2/ERG has a website where you can post your times and rows and keeps track of both and allows you to compare vs other rowers worldwide. You can sort by age, sex, and location so I really got into it because it was the first athletic competition I'd been able to do in 20+ years.

So, my advice: 1) take it slow to start and listen to your body. 2) watch videos or go see someone who can coach and critique your stroke to make sure you're doing it right. 3) Stretch and strengthen. 4) be sure you are using a heart rate monitor. Intense workout and can get your HR way up there fast. I'm 58 so you can probably get by without too much focus on these if you're younger and healthier. If that's the case, I'd focus on being sure you are using a good stroke and you'll probably be set for a very long time! Glad to have another rower on board!

PS, go see Boys In the Boat, but more importantly: get the book!

Here's a short video I thought was good on form (I don't row barefoot, but I do usually wear very thin watershoes, as I like the feel):

Thanks for the advice. Ergatta has an entire touchscreen display and it's all gamified, so it's like playing a video game most of the time. They teach the form, although I was familiar from using a machine at the gym. Now I don't have to drive. Heh.

Thanks for the advice. Ergatta has an entire touchscreen display and it's all gamified, so it's like playing a video game most of the time. They teach the form, although I was familiar from using a machine at the gym. Now I don't have to drive. Heh.
sorry if I came off as a know it all, but I bought mine on a whim and didn't have much info. It is awesome finishing your workout in the time it would normally take to drive to/from the gym. While I love my rower, I do think the Concept 2 could have better display/graphics. I'd really like a visual display to pace myself vs a pace boat, let alone graphics of actually being on the water. I think there might even be 3rd party stuff that does that for the Concept 2, but honestly, I like the workout so well, it wouldn't help me to do it more, just might make the workouts more enjoyable.

sorry if I came off as a know it all, but I bought mine on a whim and didn't have much info. It is awesome finishing your workout in the time it would normally take to drive to/from the gym. While I love my rower, I do think the Concept 2 could have better display/graphics. I'd really like a visual display to pace myself vs a pace boat, let alone graphics of actually being on the water. I think there might even be 3rd party stuff that does that for the Concept 2, but honestly, I like the workout so well, it wouldn't help me to do it more, just might make the workouts more enjoyable.
It's all good man. If you found what works, stick with it.

The ergatta games are pretty competitive. I have not been close to winning anything. Heh.

Great advice from kkott! I think you'll really enjoy it..really good workout that's easy on the joints...happy rowing frikken!

Great advice from kkott! I think you'll really enjoy it..really good workout that's easy on the joints...happy rowing frikken!
Thanks. My first online race is tonight at 10 pm. Of course I wake up with a sore neck. Hopefully it loosens up enough. The race is only 500m, so I will have to figure out how much more I want to work out afterward.

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
Thanks. My first online race is tonight at 10 pm. Of course I wake up with a sore neck. Hopefully it loosens up enough. The race is only 500m, so I will have to figure out how much more I want to work out afterward.
well, how'd it go? I've got some work to do, but I want to get back to doing my weekend time trials. Probably mostly 2 and 5Ks, but would also like to play with other distances and times (Concept2 has some where you set the time and see how far you can go).

well, how'd it go? I've got some work to do, but I want to get back to doing my weekend time trials. Probably mostly 2 and 5Ks, but would also like to play with other distances and times (Concept2 has some where you set the time and see how far you can go).
I finished 4th out of 7 with a 500m time of 1:52. I forgot to take my asthma medicine ahead of time, so my cardio suffered. I went into a full sprint a little too soon and faded over the last 100.

They sort people into skill groups. I'm in level 8. The winner was a level 3 guy who demolished everyone. I think his time was like 1:25 or something. A level 5 rower also smoked the rest of us.

There were 4 racers from level 8 like me. I finished 2nd among them, just a second or two behind.

I'm not happy with it, but I'm rarely happy anyhow. Lolz. I took yesterday off but I will get back at it today.

I rowed the 10pm EST race so I didn't disrupt my daughter's bedtime routine. There was also a 7 pm race, and if you include those racers I did worse. 4th out of 7 in Level 8, I think.

But I did set a new personal best for top speed....around 11.77 mph. Thats a 1:35 pace for 500m. Just couldn't keep that pace up.

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
I finished 4th out of 7 with a 500m time of 1:52. I forgot to take my asthma medicine ahead of time, so my cardio suffered. I went into a full sprint a little too soon and faded over the last 100.

They sort people into skill groups. I'm in level 8. The winner was a level 3 guy who demolished everyone. I think his time was like 1:25 or something. A level 5 rower also smoked the rest of us.

There were 4 racers from level 8 like me. I finished 2nd among them, just a second or two behind.

I'm not happy with it, but I'm rarely happy anyhow. Lolz. I took yesterday off but I will get back at it today.

I rowed the 10pm EST race so I didn't disrupt my daughter's bedtime routine. There was also a 7 pm race, and if you include those racers I did worse. 4th out of 7 in Level 8, I think.

But I did set a new personal best for top speed....around 11.77 mph. Thats a 1:35 pace for 500m. Just couldn't keep that pace up.
Sucks when you think you've got your pace through the finish... and then suddenly you don't! Sounds to me like a really good outing for your first time. Guessing you also haven't rowed that distance very often, so you've got to learn the distance/race.

Last edited:
Sucks when you think you've got your pace through the finish... and then suddenly you don't! Sounds to me like a really good outing for your first time. Guessing you also haven't rowed that distance very often, so you've got to learn the distance/race.
Yeah, every workout is much longer and structured with instant feedback. I had done some shorter free rows, but nothing that short. I wondered if I could just go flat out the whole time. Instead i chose to go pretty hard for 45 seconds and then full bore for the last minute. But the asthma.....heh. Ran outta steam in the last 20 seconds.

Yeah, every workout is much longer and structured with instant feedback. I had done some shorter free rows, but nothing that short. I wondered if I could just go flat out the whole time. Instead i chose to go pretty hard for 45 seconds and then full bore for the last minute. But the asthma.....heh. Ran outta steam in the last 20 seconds.
Yeah, I am usually stronger in the second half. I don't have as much feedback on the display on the Concept 2. I usually try and figure out my pace and go just a tad slower for the first half and then try and pick it up in the second, but sometimes I just crap out at the end. You think you can make it those last 200 meters, but sometimes it's just a bit too far!

Yeah, I am usually stronger in the second half. I don't have as much feedback on the display on the Concept 2. I usually try and figure out my pace and go just a tad slower for the first half and then try and pick it up in the second, but sometimes I just crap out at the end. You think you can make it those last 200 meters, but sometimes it's just a bit too far!
Yeah, I think I tried to sprint the last 300 and faded hard. I rowed a simulated race yesterday and started sprinting with 200 left and that worked about right. So now I know. Heh.

Ran another 500 today, finished at 1:44. 11th out of 15, but I took 8 seconds off my time, tied my personal best for max speed, and won my skill group by 8 seconds. I also beat two people in higher groups than me. The early race is more competitive so I'm not bothered I finished 11th. Based on groups I should have finished 13th.

Did some work outs afterward and nearly rowed 7k total. Also a personal best. Nothing to brag about, but progress!

I'm closing in on 250k for the year. Advanced to group 7. I can often beat 6's and the occasional 5 in the 500 and 1k races, but I haven't won one.

I just finished my 10th straight week of at least 3 workouts a week. But I've lost almost no weight.

I'm closing in on 250k for the year. Advanced to group 7. I can often beat 6's and the occasional 5 in the 500 and 1k races, but I haven't won one.

I just finished my 10th straight week of at least 3 workouts a week. But I've lost almost no weight.
Rowing hasn't caused me to lose a lot of weight, but I think it's 2 things: 1) it wears your body out and forces it to seek to replenish those calories... ie, I eat more! 2) It also strengthens so it changes your body and while waist might be getting slimmer, shoulders, arms and chest are getting bigger. My goal is to row every other day and do "something" on the off days: strengthening/lifting, and some type of cardio... bike ride, good walk or hitting the heavy bag. I can't run anymore, with knee and ankle injuries so have to do low impact stuff.

Did 8 rounds of 1:00 on, 1:00 off at the gym yesterday. I’ve been sick the last 3 weeks so this really kicked my ass. Kept it over 300 meters until the last two rounds.

Rowing hasn't caused me to lose a lot of weight, but I think it's 2 things: 1) it wears your body out and forces it to seek to replenish those calories... ie, I eat more! 2) It also strengthens so it changes your body and while waist might be getting slimmer, shoulders, arms and chest are getting bigger. My goal is to row every other day and do "something" on the off days: strengthening/lifting, and some type of cardio... bike ride, good walk or hitting the heavy bag. I can't run anymore, with knee and ankle injuries so have to do low impact stuff.
Yeah, I can run either, but yeah, I noticed changes other than weight loss, and I think I'm just going to accept that. Tough to avoid eating.

Anything in a bikini? Asking for a friend.

Nope. I row 3 times a week for a half hour and spend the rest of my waking hours eating peanut butter straight from the jar. It's not pretty.

Edit: I did clear 250k for the year today.

Good job....I am just over 500k for the year which ends April 30 per Concept 2....but I did have rotator cuff surgery in 2023 which knocked me out for a few months... hope to start cranking out the meters again....p.s. I am slow and go unlike you sprinters, you and kkott...

Good job....I am just over 500k for the year which ends April 30 per Concept 2....but I did have rotator cuff surgery in 2023 which knocked me out for a few months... hope to start cranking out the meters again....p.s. I am slow and go unlike you sprinters, you and kkott...
You're not slow, you're just doing long distances. 😀

I topped 250k in less than 3 months, so I should make a million if I stick with it, but I may play too much golf once it warms up.

There are distance rowers on Ergatta that record 20k per day every day. I don't have enough time to do that. It would take me 1.5 or 2 hours a day. Based on their age, it seems like retired guys.

Reactions: sdhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT