ADVERTISEMENT

Rowing machine a good workout.

I've heard of microfracture, but they've never discussed it and he said the stem cell stuff you hear all the ads for is snake oil. This guy is pretty renowned locally, but according to him the next step is probably knee replacement, so i've scheduled an appt for a 2nd opinion with another clinic/doc. Yes, it's supposed to be a temporary fix to help with what the cartilege should do naturally. You can only get them every 6 months, so that's my concern: It'll start hurting again before then. They also said I might not feel it's full effects for up to 6 weeks and it's helped immensely, so that would be the optimistic view. I've given up a ton and just not willing to not be active and do some type of cardio. Planning to buy a heavy/speed bag for the garage so I have another form of cardio that shouldn't stress the knee and may go back by the Y and see if they'll let me try my good ol' Jacobs Ladder and see how that feels because I feel like I could do that too without making it worse.

I've had multiple surgeries for cartilage, ligament, etc... had an ACL reconstruction and finally the knee was just bone on bone... I was told knee replacement was the next step and had it done about 3+ years ago.

I would just say to you to explore all options before that. I have read that a decent percentage of patients were disappointed in the total knee replacement results.. and I was one of them. My knee ended up worse off than before.

I have seen doctors since that say that a TNR revision is more complicated than the initial knee replacement with odds of 1/3 for an improvement, 1/3 about the same and 1/3 the knee is worse.

Activities that I had planned on doing after retirement (primarily hiking) I am unable to do. I guess at some point I will have to go forward with the revision surgery and hope for the best...for now I am reluctant to do so with those odds .

I have spoken to several people who had great results from replacement, but I guess I am here to say it's not a slam dunk and I would use it as a last resort.

Hopefully the injections will continue to show improvement and you can kick the can down the road as far as replacement.

22c76d2602a758efe415252afeed5f7c.jpg

Reactions: kkott
I do know lots of people feel like diet has a huge impact on inflammation and I'd be curious to hear of anyone on here's experience with reducing inflammation in joints through managing diet and what specifically they did to help.
fried foods, sugar, alcohol and dairy are the triggers for me

and i have to make sure i drink lots of water (more that what i think need)

I've had multiple surgeries for cartilage, ligament, etc... had an ACL reconstruction and finally the knee was just bone on bone... I was told knee replacement was the next step and had it done about 3+ years ago.

I would just say to you to explore all options before that. I have read that a decent percentage of patients were disappointed in the total knee replacement results.. and I was one of them. My knee ended up worse off than before.

I have seen doctors since that say that a TNR revision is more complicated than the initial knee replacement with odds of 1/3 for an improvement, 1/3 about the same and 1/3 the knee is worse.

Activities that I had planned on doing after retirement (primarily hiking) I am unable to do. I guess at some point I will have to go forward with the revision surgery and hope for the best...for now I am reluctant to do so with those odds .

I have spoken to several people who had great results from replacement, but I guess I am here to say it's not a slam dunk and I would use it as a last resort.

Hopefully the injections will continue to show improvement and you can kick the can down the road as far as replacement.

22c76d2602a758efe415252afeed5f7c.jpg
My Doctor, who is an orthopaedic surgeon who would perform the knee replacement, is very conservative. He says that 90% of all knee replacements are failing after just 10 years and he says with my age and activity level, I'm a bad candidate because I might wear it out quicker and then even need 2 more knee replacements potentially. So, he's got me trying to battle it out. The gel injections are his last suggested course though. He says the condition of my knee merits replacement, but just is encouraging me to try everything else before doing that. So far, the gel has really helped. Let me know if you have other sites, procedures, articles, etc... you'd suggest I read because I'm trying to fight the good fight and wait it out, but if this doesn't work, I feel like knee replacement is the only option left.

If I go massive keto and workout I feel awesome. Pretty much anything else is blah. It’s crazy. Any sugar or bread at all makes me feel like crap. Even fruits.

My Doctor, who is an orthopaedic surgeon who would perform the knee replacement, is very conservative. He says that 90% of all knee replacements are failing after just 10 years and he says with my age and activity level, I'm a bad candidate because I might wear it out quicker and then even need 2 more knee replacements potentially. So, he's got me trying to battle it out. The gel injections are his last suggested course though. He says the condition of my knee merits replacement, but just is encouraging me to try everything else before doing that. So far, the gel has really helped. Let me know if you have other sites, procedures, articles, etc... you'd suggest I read because I'm trying to fight the good fight and wait it out, but if this doesn't work, I feel like knee replacement is the only option left.

Sounds like you're getting good advice from your doc as many times the surgeons push toward surgery as that is what they do.

I would agree as to trying all alternatives before surgery. I may have gone the replacement route prematurely because I wanted to have the surgery done and recovery over with prior to retirement, hoping to ready to rock and roll once I did retire. I had the surgery about a year before I retired. Those who are most happy with the results of a TKR are those in the most pain with limited mobility.

When you do decide to proceed with the TKR I would recommend two things.

First check into the background of the surgeon such as his experience doing this type of surgery and maybe even talk to a patient or two of the docs so you know what to expect. I would even check the local court records to see if there is any history of malpractice suits against him or his practice. (wish I had done this)

Secondly, find out from the surgeon what type of appliance he will be using for the knee replacement. I didn't even think about exploring this. About a year after my surgery and due to continuing problems, I went to another ortho. He said that he had stopped using the particular knee appliance I had been given, due to ongoing problems he had found with it. There is a lot of info online about recalls, suits, etc.

Good luck hoss and I hope that when you get to the point of proceeding with the TKR, it goes well and you are able to get back to doing everything you love to do!

In the meantime, keep on grinding!

What is the best all around work out. Cardio, full body strength etc. I might accept the rowing machine, battle ropes are good too. Golf is also up there.

What is the best all around work out. Cardio, full body strength etc. I might accept the rowing machine, battle ropes are good too. Golf is also up there.
Personally, I do think the rowing machine is very had to beat. Not only is it great cardio, but it's also very good for strength training. When I was rowing, I wasn't dropping weight, and was staying in the 195-200 range. In the last month since I stopped. I've dropped to 185 and I think it was all muscle in my shoulders and arms, as they've gotten noticeably smaller, so I know it was great for strength. Not many cardio workouts that will do that.

Might've been the cock reduction surgery too, but I figure that couldn't have accounted for much more than a pound. Thankfully my friends say I'm as big a dick as ever!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're getting good advice from your doc as many times the surgeons push toward surgery as that is what they do.

I would agree as to trying all alternatives before surgery. I may have gone the replacement route prematurely because I wanted to have the surgery done and recovery over with prior to retirement, hoping to ready to rock and roll once I did retire. I had the surgery about a year before I retired. Those who are most happy with the results of a TKR are those in the most pain with limited mobility.

When you do decide to proceed with the TKR I would recommend two things.

First check into the background of the surgeon such as his experience doing this type of surgery and maybe even talk to a patient or two of the docs so you know what to expect. I would even check the local court records to see if there is any history of malpractice suits against him or his practice. (wish I had done this)

Secondly, find out from the surgeon what type of appliance he will be using for the knee replacement. I didn't even think about exploring this. About a year after my surgery and due to continuing problems, I went to another ortho. He said that he had stopped using the particular knee appliance I had been given, due to ongoing problems he had found with it. There is a lot of info online about recalls, suits, etc.

Good luck hoss and I hope that when you get to the point of proceeding with the TKR, it goes well and you are able to get back to doing everything you love to do!

In the meantime, keep on grinding!
Keep on grinding? Ha, with my knee, that's a given!

I'm back to rowing. I think I've rowed 4 times now with no problems so far. Started off doing 3000 steady and this morning did 20 minutes and 4750... almost back to a normal workout time/distance for me. It feels good. I'm going to work on getting my endurance up and wait to make sure the knee is holding up, and then get back to trying some timed rows after the first of the year. Seriously weighing a gym membership again, and it would give me access to a pool in the summer, but love the home workout option. If I can find a good used combo heavy/speed bag stand and bags for sale, I'm gonna grab that for my home gym. Need a cardio workout that is easy on my knee and besides; sometimes it just feels good to slug something! I'm not back to the lean, mean fighting machine I was 2 months ago, but working on it!

Where do you live SD, I'm sure we've covered it, but I've slept since then.

Go for a 1:30 500m on the rower and report back. Now build intervals around that. Beats running.

Keep on grinding? Ha, with my knee, that's a given!

I'm back to rowing. I think I've rowed 4 times now with no problems so far. Started off doing 3000 steady and this morning did 20 minutes and 4750... almost back to a normal workout time/distance for me. It feels good. I'm going to work on getting my endurance up and wait to make sure the knee is holding up, and then get back to trying some timed rows after the first of the year. Seriously weighing a gym membership again, and it would give me access to a pool in the summer, but love the home workout option. If I can find a good used combo heavy/speed bag stand and bags for sale, I'm gonna grab that for my home gym. Need a cardio workout that is easy on my knee and besides; sometimes it just feels good to slug something! I'm not back to the lean, mean fighting machine I was 2 months ago, but working on it!

Where do you live SD, I'm sure we've covered it, but I've slept since then.

That's very encouraging! Hopefully the knee continues to hold up.

I also am hoping to return to the gym early next year...I need to diversify my workout as it is starting to get boring with only the rower. Hope to focus on upper body at the gym... nice thing is that the gym is free as part of my health plan.

I live in America's Finest City.... San Diego ....although not quite as fine as when I moved here after college.

That's very encouraging! Hopefully the knee continues to hold up.

I also am hoping to return to the gym early next year...I need to diversify my workout as it is starting to get boring with only the rower. Hope to focus on upper body at the gym... nice thing is that the gym is free as part of my health plan.

I live in America's Finest City.... San Diego ....although not quite as fine as when I moved here after college.
I think I just arranged to buy a combo stand with a heavy and speed bag for the garage. Wanted a cardio workout that wouldn't stress my knee as much. I've got a dip/pull up stand already in the garage so developing a pretty good home gym. I still may opt to join the Y again, especially for the pool when summer rolls around, but I'm excited to get this. Hope to give it a bit of a go tonight, depending on if I get it home. I'm also getting my covid booster so we'll see if that knocks me out and keeps me from working.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdhoosier
I think I just arranged to buy a combo stand with a heavy and speed bag for the garage. Wanted a cardio workout that wouldn't stress my knee as much. I've got a dip/pull up stand already in the garage so developing a pretty good home gym. I still may opt to join the Y again, especially for the pool when summer roles around, but I'm excited to get this. Hope to give it a bit of a go tonight, depending on if I get it home. I'm also getting my covid booster so we'll see if that knocks me out and keeps me from working.
Bought the punching bag combo and wailed on it a bit last night: fun!

PSA: if you don't work out but want to feel better, get it going man! I couldn't work out for about 6 weeks with my knee and it's amazing how much better I feel in the week and a half since I started back. Therapy for me, much like getting outside is also, the farther from civilization the better!

Bought the punching bag combo and wailed on it a bit last night: fun!

PSA: if you don't work out but want to feel better, get it going man! I couldn't work out for about 6 weeks with my knee and it's amazing how much better I feel in the week and a half since I started back. Therapy for me, much like getting outside is also, the farther from civilization the better!
SD, rehab has gone well enough that I wanted to try a timed row again and see where I stood. My best pre-injury was 19:15 and I did 19:40 today. Was just hoping to get under 20 so I was pretty encouraged. Knee is feeling good.

SD, rehab has gone well enough that I wanted to try a timed row again and see where I stood. My best pre-injury was 19:15 and I did 19:40 today. Was just hoping to get under 20 so I was pretty encouraged. Knee is feeling good.

Great to hear! I see you're still number 2 in the state with that 19:15...I still think that number 1 guy at 17:52 must have cheated.

Great to hear! I see you're still number 2 in the state with that 19:15...I still think that number 1 guy at 17:52 must have cheated.
I don't know. Could have been a collegiate rower or something. If I segment it by heavyweight, which I did, I was actually #1 so it filtered him out and I didn't know he existed until you pointed it out and I took out the weight class... DOH! My goal is to get under 19 and then see where it goes, but I'm not catching that dude! I'd set a goal of being top 2 in SC (figured there might be a really good rower!), top 100 in the US and top 200 in the world for my age and weight class. I made the top 2 goals with that 19:15 but think I needed to get under 18:50 for top 100 in the world. That will be my goal for 2022!

The rowing machine is a very cool alternative to many machines. Much to my surprise, very few people use it. However, it helps to develop the back and biceps muscles properly. When I first started playing sports, I wanted to pump up, but I didn’t do it very well. Then my friend advised me https://www.deccanherald.com/brands...list-of-the-best-sarms-companies-1162274.html this site where you can select particular hormones. They help build muscle, and it works.

Last edited:
I believe all 3 of us have Concept2 rowers by ERG, which I recommend. I don't know if it's still the case but when I was buying 2 years ago, they supplied all the YMCAs with rowers and had a deal with the Y that they would let you in for free 1 time to test a rower, so you might try that. It really is pretty low impact, but you can also get on there and start ripping and really exert yourself. But as for stress on body parts, it's really well-balanced because you are moving so many muscle groups together (ie if your left knee hurts your other knee/leg offsets some of that as do your arms). I think as Lars said, just start easy with a comfortable range of motion and build from there. The only things that normally hurt on me are my keester and sometimes I feel like my lower back tightens a bit on longer rows. It's very good on other body parts and I have some f'd joints. I don't think it would have bothered my knee this last time if I'd not over done it on a bike the day before.
I see where Peloton is going for $3k plus. Seems ridiculous. I turn 46 in 2 weeks and amazingly, I keep eating the same stuff and do not exercise and my body keeps getting flabbier and softer. Not sure why (sarcasm). I have signed up for a program through my office that holds our associates accountable to a workout regime and rewards them financially if they meet the standards they set for themselves. So, it's time to finally address my fitness and nutrition needs and get into the game. I'll check out this machine. I have heard nothing but good things about rowing. Appears this Concept2 is highly recommended? There is no way I am paying the cash for a Peloton.

I have had three knee surgeries, two being major, in the last 15 years. I was a candidate to have my knee replaced at the age of 31. My last knee surgery was substantial as I had a cadaver bone plugged into the decayed portion of my left femur and a high tibia osteotomy to relieve the weight bearing on the interior portion of my knee and shift to the outside. This surgery was done as an alternative to getting a replacement and the team at Duke recommended it and I went for it. This surgery was a total ass whipping and took about 18 months to fully recover from and get a good amount of my quad strength addressed / back. In hindsight, it was worth it. But the first 6 months following the surgery was tough sledding. Primarily due to fluid / swelling in the joint. Had it not been for the fluid, I probably would have recovered much faster. Once that was addressed and resolved, it quickly became better and was able to build strength in my quad. It has bought me more years without needing a replacement and I am able to do full activity. I feel for you. Joint pain sucks.

Last edited:
I see where Peloton is going for $3k plus. Seems ridiculous. I turn 46 in 2 weeks and amazingly, I keep eating the same stuff and do not exercise and my body keeps getting flabbier and softer. Not sure why (sarcasm). I have signed up for a program through my office that holds our associates accountable to a workout regime and rewards them financially if they meet the standards they set for themselves. So, it's time to finally address my fitness and nutrition needs and get into the game. I'll check out this machine. I have heard nothing but good things about rowing. Appears this Concept2 is highly recommended? There is no way I am paying the cash for a Peloton.
I really do love the Concept 2 and highly recommend it. Yeah man, if you've been through what you did with your knees, getting in shape should be a breeze! I think you can still get a new Concept 2 for around $1100 and it's such a fast workout and it does way more all around than a peloton. I had heard at one point that Concept 2 had cut a deal with YMCAs everywhere to supply them at a super discount and in exchange anyone considering buying one could go to any Y and work out on it for free. That was several years ago, but I did it because I wanted to make sure with my joints, I could do enough of a rowing motion. If you want to give one a try, try calling your nearest Y. Ive watched the used prices, but people generally expect to get too much out of them and for the most part I think it might be better off to go new and get a full warranty. I'm sure there are paid subscriptions you can do to get a class type peloton like experience, but I just like to crank my tunes and set my own goals and row. Good luck!

Last edited:
Old thread, but intrigued by a rowing machine. But I'm old (61). How are these things on a bum back? Specifically a guy with a history of disc issues. Had a ruptured disc (and surgery) years ago, and issues off and on since. Back is pretty sketchy. Is this the sort of thing that might be problematic?

Old thread, but intrigued by a rowing machine. But I'm old (61). How are these things on a bum back? Specifically a guy with a history of disc issues. Had a ruptured disc (and surgery) years ago, and issues off and on since. Back is pretty sketchy. Is this the sort of thing that might be problematic?

Hank, I can't comment on rowing and a bad back, as luckily I have avoided that ailment.

I can comment on rowing and a bad knee. I had a knee replacement about 4 years ago that didn't go well. I was unable to do my beloved hiking or pretty much anything involving running or cutting (racquetball, tennis) ..even going for to long a walk or steps was painful.

I got a Concept 2 and found that was easy on the knee joint and I could get a cardio workout as well. I couldn't be happier with it...I have always been active with sports, hiking and working out. The rower saved my sanity!

Thanks to @kkott, as I think he was the first on here singing its praises.

Hank, I can't comment on rowing and a bad back, as luckily I have avoided that ailment.

I can comment on rowing and a bad knee. I had a knee replacement about 4 years ago that didn't go well. I was unable to do my beloved hiking or pretty much anything involving running or cutting (racquetball, tennis) ..even going for to long a walk or steps was painful.

I got a Concept 2 and found that was easy on the knee joint and I could get a cardio workout as well. I couldn't be happier with it...I have always been active with sports, hiking and working out. The rower saved my sanity!

Thanks to @kkott, as I think he was the first on here singing its praises.

Yeah, I did a bit of research on my own and have come to the conclusion that it's likely not a great idea. A lot of the vendor literarture will of course say "Oh yeah, this is an awesone back exercise and great for backs!" but most general opinion suggests that seated exercises like this are not great for lower back issues like mine unless you're working with someone who knows what they're doing. I think I'll give it a pass

Last edited:
Yeah, I did a bit of research on my own and have come to the conclusion that it's likely not a great idea. A lot of the vendor literarture will of course say "Oh yeah, this is an awesone back exercise and great for backs!" but most general opinion suggests that seated exercises like this are not great for lower back issues like mine unless you're working with someone who knows what they're doing. I think I'll give it a pass
I struggle with knee and ankle joints and echo what SD has said, and I could see it being a challenge on a bad back. The only thing on me that ever gets tight is my lower back. But, if you wanted to give it a shot, try calling your local Y and just go get on one for a bit and try. The thing with my knee and ankle, is that I just am not able to do as complete a full rowing stroke, but I do plenty to get a great workout. I do feel like if I had a fuller range of motion, I might be able to go even faster, but I'm mainly competing against myself, so you might find that you can do a stroke without bending your back very much, stay more upright and still get a good workout. It mostly works your arms and legs anyway, and I could see staying pretty upright and still getting a good workout. As for age, I'm 57 and I think SD is a little older than me so I don't see that being a concern. I know I'll get slower as I get older, but I could see myself doing this well into my 70s without other complications. Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:

Try pilates first to improve your core. You build the support structure around the back that way then you can afford to do the other exercises.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
Interesting timing. An exercise thread pops up again on the 1st day of the New Year.

Simple rules:

1) If you want to lose weight, you need 5 hrs of exercise a week. To maintain its 3hrs a week

2) Forget diets etc. Just have one sinful meal a day sandwiched with two healthy meals. (And that's assuming you know your food groups and what healthy food is.)

It's all about sustainability which initially requires persistence. Not just a resolution.

And age isn't a factor. Mindset trumps any age hurdles.

Interesting timing. An exercise thread pops up again on the 1st day of the New Year.

Simple rules:

1) If you want to lose weight, you need 5 hrs of exercise a week. To maintain its 3hrs a week

2) Forget diets etc. Just have one sinful meal a day sandwiched with two healthy meals. (And that's assuming you know your food groups and what healthy food is.)

It's all about sustainability which initially requires persistence. Not just a resolution.

With rule #1, don't you think it depends on the intensity of the workout? Once I was around 50, it began getting harder to shed pounds. Prior to that, I ate what I wanted and just exercised more to lose weight. But at that point, exercise wasn't enough. I did much like what you said: I began eating a smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch usually, cut out fast food and eat what I want for dinner. The thing I've found is that once I started eating healthier I lost my cravings for fast and junk food and it started to turn me off.

With rule #1, don't you think it depends on the intensity of the workout? Once I was around 50, it began getting harder to shed pounds. Prior to that, I ate what I wanted and just exercised more to lose weight. But at that point, exercise wasn't enough. I did much like what you said: I began eating a smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch usually, cut out fast food and eat what I want for dinner. The thing I've found is that once I started eating healthier I lost my cravings for fast and junk food and it started to turn me off.

I guess it depends what you are targeting. I am more focused on burning (2kgs) and improving my stamina. Not concerned about the weight.

I do this zone 2 training regime plus the normal stuff on other days: gym that consist of cardio and weights and nowadays lighter weights but more reps.
It's a training method developed for long distance, ultra marathon runners.

Zone 2 is suppose to increase the stamina by making your body metabolise the fat during the zone 2 heart rate routine. (When you are on zone 4 or 5 you body needs fuel fast and donit extracts it from food in your system.)

It's humiliating in that when I started biking in zone 2, I so slow that kids or women are blowing by me. (3 hours of humiliation every ride on an expensive bike so I really look like a dick.)

But 2 months of this then you see that when I do ride fast I can sustain it longer and my heart rate isn't as high as it used to be before the zone 2 training. (I have the sports watch that records everything.)

I am sure you can apply it to rowing too. You are not meant to be tired after the exercise. It's designed that you can do that same duration almost daily. Building it, a brick at a time.

Last edited:
I'm at the point where I can't a can't out-exercise a bad diet, but I can't diet my way out of anything like I used to be able to do either. Up until my mid 40's I could mix in a salad for lunch a few times/week, switch to lite beer and drop 10 lbs in 2 weeks without doing any additional workouts. Those days are gone.

Simple rules:

1. Diet
2. Put muscle on your body
3. 1 max rate cardio session per week

The end.

Last edited:
Reactions: aajohn2000
I'm at the point where I can't a can't out-exercise a bad diet, but I can't diet my way out of anything like I used to be able to do either. Up until my mid 40's I could mix in a salad for lunch a few times/week, switch to lite beer and drop 10 lbs in 2 weeks without doing any additional workouts. Those days are gone.

Same. I'm 61. Up until 10 years ago I could drop 10 pounds at will by either, (1) just getting on the treadmill 5 days a week, or (b) cutting out snacks. Now, I need to do both, and more than just cutting snacks. I need to eat quite a bit better all around. I really should lose 15 pounds and do some sort of actual strength training. I'm starting to look like a little old man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT