ADVERTISEMENT

Roster sizes

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
Why are roster sizes inaccurate? Is there some plus for the team listing a guy shorter or lighter than he really is?
I remember Knight made a crack to the UMich coach (the guy that went to Iowa State, blocking on his name right now) about Raymond Brit being shorter from year to year.
Any one know real ht and wt?

Why are roster sizes inaccurate? Is there some plus for the team listing a guy shorter or lighter than he really is?
I remember Knight made a crack to the UMich coach (the guy that went to Iowa State, blocking on his name right now) about Raymond Brit being shorter from year to year.
Heights are always overstated, not understated.

And Wayman Britt’s coach was Johnny Orr.

Last edited:
They made fun of this on the movie Blue Chips. I think Shaq's character Neon was listed at 7'4" or something. Nover's character was 6'11".

Johnny Orr.

You're talking about Wayman Britt. Knight was giving it to Orr in the press conference on Sunday between the two coaches the night before IU played Michigan for the title in '76: "You list Wayman Britt at 6-2. When we were recruiting him in high school, he was 6-5. If he stayed at Michigan another year, he'd be 5-11".

Johnny Orr.

You're talking about Wayman Britt. Knight was giving it to Orr in the press conference on Sunday between the two coaches the night before IU played Michigan for the title in '76: "You list Wayman Britt at 6-2. When we were recruiting him in high school, he was 6-5. If he stayed at Michigan another year, he'd be 5-11".
I've never heard of a player being listed shorter than his height, but it makes sense if you ever thought there was an advantage to be had to go the opposite of what everyone else does.

I assume most players are 1-2" shorter than what the roster lists them as. And, oh btw, it's not just rosters, it's most people's habit. Whenever I measure myself I'm 6'2", but I'm usually at least an 1" taller than most guys who say they are 6'2" and those guys always ask if I'm 6'3" or 6'4". The last girl I dated kept telling me how tall her big brother was: 6'4" or 6'5". When I finally met him we were exactly the same height.

Johnny Orr.

That was it. Thanks.
Hilarious

IU - Calbert Cheaney.

MSU - Steve Smith

Texas - Kevin Durant

Cheaney was listed at 6'6" for 3 seasons, then 6'7" as a senior. Evans....6'7" til 6'8" as a senior. I don't remember what Smith was listed at but I'd guess 6'7" if it was low.

I would love to see if Todd Lindemann was taller than Cody Zeller if you put a level on their heads. Lindemann's neck was about 10 inches alone.

• Haha
Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Johnny Orr.

Thx...had forgotten that story.

Cheaney was listed at 6'6" for 3 seasons, then 6'7" as a senior. Evans....6'7" til 6'8" as a senior. I don't remember what Smith was listed at but I'd guess 6'7" if it was low.

This is where the term 'rising senior" came from.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT