ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl Roll Call

Bowlmania

Hall of Famer
Sep 23, 2016
It's a distant away-game and obviously most IU football fans can't make it, but I'm sure there are some guys here who are heading out west this weekend. Who's going, and where are your seats?

Reactions: nichlee and CC Mac
UCLA averages right at 50k for home games.
I doubt that IU will be a must see game for their casual fan.
With alumni that live in the area I would think IU will have a decent turnout.
It shouldn’t be an intimidating environment especially if we get off to a decent start.

It's a distant away-game and obviously most IU football fans can't make it, but I'm sure there are some guys here who are heading out west this weekend. Who's going, and where are your seats?
I'll be there with a dozen or so others. Short trip for me (working in SD) but live in AZ and would have considered going either way. Hope we put on a good show. I think its a national TV game on NBC

UCLA averages right at 50k for home games.
I doubt that IU will be a must see game for their casual fan.
With alumni that live in the area I would think IU will have a decent turnout.
It shouldn’t be an intimidating environment especially if we get off to a decent start.
50k is generous. Maybe tickets sold, but I've read articles where they were lucky to get 30k in non-rivalry games the last few seasons. In a stadium that holds 100k+ that's terrible. It's an historic venue but really in a bad spot in regards to proximity to campus. It's an hour bus ride for students each way.

50k is generous. Maybe tickets sold, but I've read articles where they were lucky to get 30k in non-rivalry games the last few seasons. In a stadium that holds 100k+ that's terrible. It's an historic venue but really in a bad spot in regards to proximity to campus. It's an hour bus ride for students each way.
I thought I read somewhere they averaged about 45k last year.
I guessing we could have maybe 5k with all the alumni that live I the area,I’m probably way off on that.

I thought I read somewhere they averaged about 45k last year.
I guessing we could have maybe 5k with all the alumni that live I the area,I’m probably way off on that.
California ranks third nationally (behind Indiana and Illinois) in number of IU graduates living in the state. In terms of raw numbers, approximately 28,000 IU grads live in California, and I'm assuming a large percentage live in and around LA.

I believe IU will be well represented in the Rose Bowl this Saturday.

I was there on New Year’s Day, 1968. One thing game attendees will find is the poor overall seating compared to Memorial Stadium. The rows aren’t steep and with a track around the playing field, seats are farther away than what you are used to. That said, it’s a beautiful, iconic venue steeped in tradition with the San Gabriel Mt range as a backdrop. If I was going again, I would take binoculars, if allowed. Hopefully, you won’t go all that way and not see IU score a TD… USC 14 - IU 3

I'll be there with a dozen or so others. Short trip for me (working in SD) but live in AZ and would have considered going either way. Hope we put on a good show. I think its a national TV game on NBC
When the NBC broadcasters inevitably ask their version of the "How awestruck are you by playing in the Rose Bowl?" question, CCC should just hand them a tape measure, say "Go watch the movie 'Hoosiers'", drop the mic, and turn around and return to the team.

I was there on New Year’s Day, 1968. One thing game attendees will find is the poor overall seating compared to Memorial Stadium. The rows aren’t steep and with a track around TVthe playing field, seats are farther away than what you are used to. That said, it’s a beautiful, iconic venue steeped in tradition with the San Gabriel Mt range as a backdrop. If I was going again, I would take binoculars, if allowed. Hopefully, you won’t go all that way and not see IU score a TD… USC 14 - IU 3
Ass hole type comment on the score vs the #1 team in the country

I was there on New Year’s Day, 1968. One thing game attendees will find is the poor overall seating compared to Memorial Stadium. The rows aren’t steep and with a track around the playing field, seats are farther away than what you are used to. That said, it’s a beautiful, iconic venue steeped in tradition with the San Gabriel Mt range as a backdrop. If I was going again, I would take binoculars, if allowed. Hopefully, you won’t go all that way and not see IU score a TD… USC 14 - IU 3
We aren't playing USC. We're playing UCLA.

IU 35 - UCLA 6

One other thing y'all coming from out of town might want to think about - a KN95 or N95 mask for possible wildfire smoke. There are 3 fires burning south of the area and hopefully the air quality won't get bad, but you never know

We aren't playing USC. We're playing UCLA.

IU 35 - UCLA 6
Silly boy, it was not a prediction. The USC 14 - IU 3 was the score of the most famous football game in IU history, the game I complained about not getting to see at least one IU TD.

BTW, I believe you to be overzealous in your prediction. Personal observation of IU football since 1960 leads me to believe it might be UCLA 27 - IU 17. Eggs get laid when hopes get up.

Silly boy, it was not a prediction. The USC 14 - IU 3 was the score of the most famous football game in IU history, the game I complained about not getting to see at least one IU TD.

BTW, I believe you to be overzealous in your prediction. Personal observation of IU football since 1960 leads me to believe it might be UCLA 27 - IU 17. Eggs get laid when hopes get up.
Well, we will see come Saturday Old Man.

I hope someday you are as lucky, Young Whippersnapper. It’s been a joyous journey.
I was there when we beat Michigan and Ohio State in the same season. Fortunately they started letting women in the M100 by that time. The good years of Bill Mallory's career were the golden years of IU football as far as I'm concerned, but I'm smoking some of what Cig's got in his pack now and I think we will shock some people on Saturday.

Ass hole type comment on the score vs the #1 team in the country
You must not have made the 2000+ mile trip. Both teams went into the game at 9-1. USC, as the #1 team, was a 2 TD favorite to win over our #4 Hoosiers. All I’m complaining about is it would have been nice to see IU at least score 1 TD. Al Gage had a bullet thrown to him in the end zone from Gonso shortly before the half. It would have made the HT score 7-7 with momentum on our side. Instead, the ball hit him in the numbers and bounced off his chest so we settled for a disappointing chip shot field goal and never scored again in the defensive struggle. I apologize for the way “ass hole type comment” offended you.

I’m sure that missed catch haunted Gage for years. He ran the perfect route for a perfect call and found himself wide open but got caught up in the enormity of the moment.
He has been forgiven and the 1967-68 team remains the most celebrated team in IU’s lack lustrous football history.

You must not have made the 2000+ mile trip. Both teams went into the game at 9-1. USC, as the #1 team, was a 2 TD favorite to win over our #4 Hoosiers. All I’m complaining about is it would have been nice to see IU at least score 1 TD. Al Gage had a bullet thrown to him in the end zone from Gonso shortly before the half. It would have made the HT score 7-7 with momentum on our side. Instead, the ball hit him in the numbers and bounced off his chest so we settled for a disappointing chip shot field goal and never scored again in the defensive struggle. I apologize for the way “ass hole type comment” offended you.

I’m sure that missed catch haunted Gage for years. He ran the perfect route for a perfect call and found himself wide open but got caught up in the enormity of the moment.
He has been forgiven and the 1967-68 team remains the most celebrated team in IU’s lack lustrous football history.
I made the trip with a bit better observation point than you LOL and apology accepted

Last edited:
I just got the info for the IUAA tailgate. Unfortunately, it has sold out. Make that fortunately, but too bad if you did not get a ticket. $30 for beer and food is a steal. Here's the location to find the group. There are 1,000 people signed up.

IUAA Big Red Warm Up on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2 p.m. at Brookside Golf Club, 1133 Rosemont Avenue
I also found out about this event after the 30th. Bummer. I’m going to the game with another IU grad and would be interested in buying two tailgate passes if someone can’t use theirs and/or a IUAA contact name that might be able to help. Attendee list for the tailgate has 1,093 names !!!!

I also found out about this event after the 30th. Bummer. I’m going to the game with another IU grad and would be interested in buying two tailgate passes if someone can’t use theirs and/or a IUAA contact name that might be able to help. Attendee list for the tailgate has 1,093 names !!!!

I checked with her on Wednesday and there were no extra tickets but there may be some now. If you get on the local Facebook page there may be people that have friends that aren’t showing up. I know you can get some parking lot tailgate passes and just try to get close to the party. We are in Pasadena now gaming 🍺

Please contact Kay Terrell at akterrel@iu.edu or 812-855-1171.

Reactions: red hornet
I checked with her on Wednesday and there were no extra tickets but there may be some now. If you get on the local Facebook page there may be people that have friends that aren’t showing up. I know you can get some parking lot tailgate passes and just try to get close to the party. We are in Pasadena now gaming 🍺

Please contact Kay Terrell at akterrel@iu.edu or 812-855-1171.
We were able to get tailgate tickets…

Is there a Pasadena place people are pre-gaming tonight? A fair number of possibilities in Old Pasadena

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT