ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo about to be out of the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He and Adidas had a deal he would attend one of their schools. It worked out so unbelievably well for Romeo. He never made the tourney, got drafted in the lottery, never could make a rotation or stay healthy, and got paid $20 million because guys keep thinking about potential from HS. Amazing actually.

Oh and Tome Crean was our coach.
Wow.

• Angry
Reactions: Lucy01
On post number 5 I said he probably has 8 million left if he was conservative.
I remember a story from years ago how Patrick Ewing used to get made fun of by other NBA players because he didn't spend his money. I always loved Patrick as a player, but I learned to respect him as a man. I sure wish his son had worked out better at IU. I was thrilled when he first came to us.

If Tamar played 30-35 mins a game and was allowed to shoot us out of the tournament, I would say it would be easy for him to average 15 points a game and shoot 30% from deep. Hell, I think you are about to see him chuck it. He isn't as good as I thought he would be, mainly because of athleticism and ball handling, but he can shoot it night and day better than Romeo.

I am glad he wasn't allowed to just shoot it everytime, and Woody is a much better coach. Archie and Romeo combo was horrid. We missed the tournament with a senior Juwan. Biggest underachieving season of my lifetime.
Yeah, Tamar would beat Romeo at HORSE all day long.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Some stat comparisons for their respective freshman seasons

Romeo
35.1 minutes per game
16.5 points per game
5.4 rebounds per game
2.3 assists per game
Team Record 17-15 (wrong side of bubble)

Tamar
14.5 minutes per game
3.9 points per game
1.5 rebounds per game
0.6 assists per game
Team Record 20-13 (right side of bubble)

Some of your points are valid...Archie did allow Romeo free reign. But he did more with those minutes, on a per minute basis, than Tamar did. And its not, at all, like Tamar was coming in to those games and deferring to others...he was gunning. I have some of the same reservations about Romeo as you, but I think most of them are fueled by his stoic body language and demeanor, and by how Archie chose to use him at IU. Some things I always try to remind myself about him.

1. He scored over 3000 points, in Indiana, playing for a 4A school.
2. He won a state title, as a sophomore I believe, in the biggest class in Indiana. Side note, New Albany is one of the smallest schools to win a 4A state title in the last 20 years or so.
3. He averaged over 5 rebounds a game at IU. Guards with "low motors" don't average 5 rebounds per game.
4. He averaged over 2 assists per game at IU. If he was a Tamar-esque gunner, he wouldn't have averaged over 2 assists per game.
5. Most games, he guarded the other teams best perimeter player, for most of his 35 minutes. So they weren't "hiding" him on defense...which they would have had to do if he was soft, or played with a low motor.
6. Stevens drafted him over a ton of other wings/guards, in the first round of the NBA draft.
7. He shot 44%, overall, and over 70% from the FT line, with an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

You created the Romeo/Tamar comparison. If not for you, no one in their right mind would ever think to compare the two. They're not even remotely similar to each other. Not in how they play, not in how good they are. I suspect what they do both share, is a much higher drive and motor than any of us could ever understand. You've underrated Romeo on this front, and overrated Tamar. To the point where you, and others, are making this stupid, faulty comparison.

I'm sure Romeo will get another NBA contract of some sort. Maybe not though. The NBA isn't an easy place to thrive. And I hope Tamar figures things out and ends up playing in the NBA. But man, seems if he was the dog that you always thought he was, he'd have figured out how to be better and more effective. Romeo figured it out with a broken thumb on his shooting hand?! Surely Tamar should have been able to shake shooting yips, at some point?!

Romeo
35.1 minutes per game
16.5 points per game
5.4 rebounds per game
2.3 assists per game

Tamar
14.5 minutes per game
3.9 points per game
1.5 rebounds per game
0.6 assists per game

Some of your points are valid...Archie did allow Romeo free reign. But he did more with those minutes, on a per minute basis, than Tamar did. And its not, at all, like Tamar was coming in to those games and deferring to others...he was gunning. I have some of the same reservations about Romeo as you, but I think most of them are fueled by his stoic body language and demeanor, and by how Archie chose to use him at IU. Some things I always try to remind myself about him.

2. He won a state title, as a sophomore I believe, in the biggest class in Indiana. Side note, New Albany is one of the smallest schools to win a 4A state title in the last 20 years or so.
3. He averaged over 5 rebounds a game at IU. Guards with "low motors" don't average 5 rebounds per game.
4. He averaged over 2 assists per game at IU. If he was a Tamar-esque gunner, he wouldn't have averaged over 2 assists per game.
5. Most games, he guarded the other teams best perimeter player, for most of his 35 minutes. So they weren't "hiding" him on defense...which they would have had to do if he was soft, or played with a low motor.
6. Stevens drafted him over a ton of other wings/guards, in the first round of the NBA draft.
7. He shot 44%, overall, and over 70% from the FT line, with an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

You created the Romeo/Tamar comparison. If not for you, no one in their right mind would ever think to compare the two. They're not even remotely similar to each other. Not in how they play, not in how good they are. I suspect what they do both share, is a much higher drive and motor than any of us could ever understand. You've underrated Romeo on this front, and overrated Tamar. To the point where you, and others, are making this stupid, faulty comparison.

I'm sure Romeo will get another NBA contract of some sort. Maybe not though. The NBA isn't an easy place to thrive. And I hope Tamar figures things out and ends up playing in the NBA. But man, seems if he was the dog that you always thought he was, he'd have figured out how to be better and more effective. Romeo figured it out with a broken thumb on his shooting hand?! Surely Tamar should have been able to shake shooting yips, at some point?!
He will definitely get another contract. He's 23.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu

Romeo
35.1 minutes per game
16.5 points per game
5.4 rebounds per game
2.3 assists per game

Tamar
14.5 minutes per game
3.9 points per game
1.5 rebounds per game
0.6 assists per game

Agree with this. Don't see much of a comparison between the 2. You certainly have your head around what offense we were running with Romeo much better than I do. For the life of me I can only remember us throwing the ball around and with 10 seconds left on the shot clock, it was like, Romeo go get us a basket! Which meant shoot a 3 or drive right. Not sure who's the better shooter, but Romeo could certainly finish at the rim in multiple ways. Tamar, not so much.

Romeo
35.1 minutes per game
16.5 points per game
5.4 rebounds per game
2.3 assists per game

Tamar
14.5 minutes per game
3.9 points per game
1.5 rebounds per game
0.6 assists per game

There's no earthly comparison between Romeo and Tamar and the only reason one exists is because a certain poster has doubled down on his own stupidity.

Last edited:
Agree with this. Don't see much of a comparison between the 2. You certainly have your head around what offense we were running with Romeo much better than I do. For the life of me I can only remember us throwing the ball around and with 10 seconds left on the shot clock, it was like, Romeo go get us a basket! Which meant shoot a 3 or drive right. Not sure who's the better shooter, but Romeo could certainly finish at the rim in multiple ways. Tamar, not so much.
I'm not sure I trust Dakich all that much either...but he commented, on multiple occasions while commentating IU games that season, that Romeo wasn't being used correctly. I can't remember if he gave specifics on what would have been better...guessing he didn't offer much on that end?

I think the gist though, if I remember correctly, was we didn't run enough stuff to get him the ball moving to the basket, with any kind of space to work.

I remember we ran some sort of set that created a fairly open driving lane for him on his last 2nd winning play against Wisconsin...and many went bonkers that we should be doing a lot more of that all game for him.

I spent a few of those years backing Archie up (wrongfully), because his KenPom type metrics were solid, and they were steadily improving. So I was probably arguing against Romeo's misuse, at the time? Can't remember.

I'm not sure I trust Dakich all that much either...but he commented, on multiple occasions while commentating IU games that season, that Romeo wasn't being used correctly. I can't remember if he gave specifics on what would have been better...guessing he didn't offer much on that end?

I think the gist though, if I remember correctly, was we didn't run enough stuff to get him the ball moving to the basket, with any kind of space to work.

I remember we ran some sort of set that created a fairly open driving lane for him on his last 2nd winning play against Wisconsin...and many went bonkers that we should be doing a lot more of that all game for him.

I spent a few of those years backing Archie up (wrongfully), because his KenPom type metrics were solid, and they were steadily improving. So I was probably arguing against Romeo's misuse, at the time? Can't remember.
That was maybe the worst free throw shooting team in many years at IU. Plus they missed so many easy shots. Perimeter defense too.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
That was maybe the worst free throw shooting team in many years at IU. Plus they missed so many easy shots. Perimeter defense too.
Defense actually wasn't horrible overall. But like Woody's first team, they just couldn't lock people down in crucial times or stretches consistently enough. Romeo was pretty good, actually, guarding elite wings. But Archie's pack line gave up too many good/open looks.

Whoever thought Tamar and Romeo was on the same level has no business making future predictions over talent. JS
Since all these posts are referencing me. Let’s get it straight. I said tamar would score more points in the NBA than romeo. I also said he could shoot better than Romeo. That is as far as the comparisons went for the two. The rest is just people being people and exaggerate everything.

Since all these posts are referencing me. Let’s get it straight. I said tamar would score more points in the NBA than romeo. I also said he could shoot better than Romeo. That is as far as the comparisons went for the two. The rest is just people being people and exaggerate everything.
Ok...you're full of crap if you say you haven't made other comparisons...but to your 2 main comparisons you just stated:

For their freshman seasons...which I think are the only apt comparisons that can be made at this point.

(Overall FG/3P FG/FT)

Romeo: 45/27/72
Tamer: 33/29/83

Romeo had a broken thumb on his shooting hand, was the subject of every other teams best perimeter defender, and played for a horrible coach, that many think misused Romeo.

Tamar only ended up playing 14 or so minutes a game, was largely uninjured, had the benefit of playing with one of the best big men in IU history. I don't think Woody's offense was great for Tamar, or any perimeter player, but to say he attracted less attention defensively than Romeo did, would be an understatement...meaning he had way more open looks.

So I guess Tamar is a better shooter....just because Cav says so. Hmmmm....

And on the NBA thing...obviously we don't know that yet. But man, sure would be a crazy turnaround if Bates ever even wears a Summer League jersey, at this point.

Ok...you're full of crap if you say you haven't made other comparisons...but to your 2 main comparisons you just stated:
what other ones have I stated. Enlighten me. And Romeo’s shooting numbers in his college and nba career are atrocious. Tamars percentages improved a lot from FR to sophomore year. People actually think romeo is a better shooter than tamar, hell better than anyone on our current roster? Romeo is a horrific shooter, that’s a fact at this point.

what other ones have I stated. Enlighten me. And Romeo’s shooting numbers in his college and nba career are atrocious. Tamars percentages improved a lot from FR to sophomore year. People actually think romeo is a better shooter than tamar, hell better than anyone on our current roster? Romeo is a horrific shooter, that’s a fact at this point.
44, 27, and 72 isn’t “atrocious”. And if it is, Tamar was worse his freshman year, overall. Romeo would have obviously improved with another college season. Just like he’s improved his overall percentages in his NBA career. I can’t imagine his overall HS numbers were atrocious either, given he scored over 3000 points.

NBA averages are 46/37/77

Obviously it’s becoming a shooters league, as those are all really good numbers. Crazy that the league average is actually getting close to 50/40…90 FT % must be the differentiation point that makes 50/40/90 so hard to achieve. But man, 50/40 used to be elite. Now it’s average.

Anyway…Romeo has been fairly close to league average the last couple years for overall. But below in 3P and FT.

I would say atrocious applies to his outside shooting. Maybe a little strong, but sub 30, sub 60 is really bad for a guard.

But seeing as how Tamar won’t likely ever get that chance…again…at the same point in their careers, they were similar shooters.

Per the original claim I made…just like you saying Tamar is a better shooter than Romeo…. You just have made other comparisons at times. I don’t have any specific examples, and don’t feel like looking them up. But you’ve engaged in many Tamar v Romeo back and forths. And not all of them have been strictly about his shooting and their respective NBA careers.

Romeo
35.1 minutes per game
16.5 points per game
5.4 rebounds per game
2.3 assists per game

Tamar
14.5 minutes per game
3.9 points per game
1.5 rebounds per game
0.6 assists per game

Cav went from 6 to midnight seeing Tamar stats..

• Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh
44, 27, and 72 isn’t “atrocious”. And if it is, Tamar was worse his freshman year, overall. Romeo would have obviously improved with another college season. Just like he’s improved his overall percentages in his NBA career. I can’t imagine his overall HS numbers were atrocious either, given he scored over 3000 points.

NBA averages are 46/37/77

Obviously it’s becoming a shooters league, as those are all really good numbers. Crazy that the league average is actually getting close to 50/40…90 FT % must be the differentiation point that makes 50/40/90 so hard to achieve. But man, 50/40 used to be elite. Now it’s average.

Anyway…Romeo has been fairly close to league average the last couple years for overall. But below in 3P and FT.

I would say atrocious applies to his outside shooting. Maybe a little strong, but sub 30, sub 60 is really bad for a guard.

But seeing as how Tamar won’t likely ever get that chance…again…at the same point in their careers, they were similar shooters.

Per the original claim I made…just like you saying Tamar is a better shooter than Romeo…. You just have made other comparisons at times. I don’t have any specific examples, and don’t feel like looking them up. But you’ve engaged in many Tamar v Romeo back and forths. And not all of them have been strictly about his shooting and their respective NBA careers.
Exactly.

The claim “Tamar is a better shooter than Romeo” is so disingenuous. Sure, he’s a better “shooter” by % on a much lower volume of attempts, but at the end of the day, who cares? That’s not how you quantify a basketball player.

Tamar isn’t a fraction of the player that Romeo is, was, and will ever be and there’s really nothing else that needs to be said on the matter. Really hope Tamar takes his school work at Mizzou seriously as he will need a different avenue outside of basketball to support himself and his daughter financially.

Reactions: Isisu
Lol you called Romeo the worst shooter in IU history.

I could swear I’ve seen “guaranteed lottery pick” next to Tamar’s name. Multiple times. But if I dreamed it all up, I know for sure he was a guaranteed first round pick. Usually with big $1,000 bets atttached. It’s shocking no one here has those exchanges saved, but something tells me most of those cats got banned and had to change long-standing screen names.

Exactly.

The claim “Tamar is a better shooter than Romeo” is so disingenuous. Sure, he’s a better “shooter” by % on a much lower volume of attempts, but at the end of the day, who cares? That’s not how you quantify a basketball player.

Tamar isn’t a fraction of the player that Romeo is, was, and will ever be and there’s really nothing else that needs to be said on the matter. Really hope Tamar takes his school work at Mizzou seriously as he will need a different avenue outside of basketball to support himself and his daughter financially.
Gun to your head. Who do you want taking the game deciding shot?

Reactions: Cavanagh
And he just laughed and laughed his way to the bank. Here he is 23 years old with $20 million. Watch it grow while not working another day that he doesn't want to for the rest of his life. Poor boy was overrated and what a shame!
It's funny you think he has $20M.

He's grossed $16.4M. Remove, what, 38%-40% in taxes? A touch less his last two years in San Antonio, but just for the home games. He's paid his agent. He's paying his manager. He's likely paying his father a salary.

Do you think he saved much money his first couple of years? He probably thought he would soon be getting another contract.

I could swear I’ve seen “guaranteed lottery pick” next to Tamar’s name. Multiple times. But if I dreamed it all up, I know for sure he was a guaranteed first round pick. Usually with big $1,000 bets atttached. It’s shocking no one here has those exchanges saved, but something tells me most of those cats got banned and had to change long-standing screen names.
Do you want me to ban you again mk20 or mk30 whatever your handle was? I don’t ban people that bet me. I pay them. Unfortunately I pay them a a lot @twenty02.

Lol you called Romeo the worst shooter in IU history.
He was the worst volume 3P shooter ever. No1 had ever shot that bad and had taken more than 75 threes in a season. That’s a pretty bad stat my man. For sure warrants calling someone a bad shooter.

He's grossed $16.4M. Remove, what, 38%-40% in taxes? A touch less his last two years in San Antonio, but just for the home games. He's paid his agent. He's paying his manager. He's likely paying his father a salary.

Do you think he saved much money his first couple of years? He probably thought he would soon be getting another contract.
I only thought he had $20 M because someone else said he had $20 M. I think what others only say. He lives life large.

He was the worst volume 3P shooter ever. No1 had ever shot that bad and had taken more than 75 threes in a season. That’s a pretty bad stat my man. For sure warrants calling someone a bad shooter.
Well that just isn’t true. Phinisee shot 26% in back to back years as an upperclassmen.

Reactions: baileyiu and Isisu

Which at the end of the day still puts him in the top 1% of every living person on this planet, regardless of his tax bracket. Was that supposed to be some kind of “gotcha”?

Well that just isn’t true. Phinisee shot 26% in back to back years as an upperclassmen.
He “was” the worst 3P shooter ever. He “had”….

I know the English language is hard, but at the time geezer, he was the worst ever. He was the worst ever for a bit after he left too. His buddy Rob, broke the record 2 years later his Jr year.

I’m not quite a complete nostradumbass yet, but thanks for thinking I should be able to predict all future events.

Reactions: Lucy01
honestly, as a 48 yr fan of IU bball, it's kind of depressing to follow a post where we argue over which former IU player sucks the most. I just give both TB and RL credit, they chose IU, they played as well as they could here, I'm sure they both feel they wanted to accomplish a little more at IU than what actually played out, and they've both moved on, and -as far as I know- never once said a bad thing about IU or the fans.

I hope RL gets a new contact, and I hope TB has a good career at Mizzou and continues to be a good dad for his little kid, and makes enough money to support child and mom when college is over. This internal hatred toward one of them/both of them seems rather unhealthy. I prefer to cast my hatred toward the goons who play for Izzo and the silver spooned pricks in Durham NC.

my 2 pesos.

honestly, as a 48 yr fan of IU bball, it's kind of depressing to follow a post where we argue over which former IU player sucks the most. I just give both TB and RL credit, they chose IU, they played as well as they could here, I'm sure they both feel they wanted to accomplish a little more at IU than what actually played out, and they've both moved on, and -as far as I know- never once said a bad thing about IU or the fans.

I hope RL gets a new contact, and I hope TB has a good career at Mizzou and continues to be a good dad for his little kid, and makes enough money to support child and mom when college is over. This internal hatred toward one of them/both of them seems rather unhealthy. I prefer to cast my hatred toward the goons who play for Izzo and the silver spooned pricks in Durham NC.

my 2 pesos.
Yes, 2 strange hills “to die on”, and unfortunately it leads to strong feelings either way, hoping to see people proven wrong or right.

Not really fair to the kids at all, and certainly neither player should be our focus at this point.

Yes, 2 strange hills “to die on”, and unfortunately it leads to strong feelings either way, hoping to see people proven wrong or right.

Not really fair to the kids at all, and certainly neither player should be our focus at this point.
yep...btw just saw TJD agreed to a 4 yr deal with first 2 yrs guaranteed. Good for him. The kid deserves it, and this bodes well not only for him, but for CMW, IU, and the idea of staying another year and improving your game.

my 2 pesos.
For your two pesos, Gringo, I have a “Just Be Kind” sign to sell you. I bet it would look good in your front yard, next to your acrylic flamingo, one leg up.

my 2 euros

yep...btw just saw TJD agreed to a 4 yr deal with first 2 yrs guaranteed. Good for him. The kid deserves it, and this bodes well not only for him, but for CMW, IU, and the idea of staying another year and improving your game.
Yes, so we had one person that “stayed another yr” and of course JHS. Big juice for the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT