ADVERTISEMENT

RMK was not an "Indiana" guy

ClayCoGuy

Recruit
Mar 6, 2017
Just saying that if Steve Alford is the next coach, I will support him and wish him all the best, and it would not disappoint me. But why do we have to have an "Indiana" guy?

Calipari was not a UK guy, Patino was not a UL guy, Dean Smith was not a UNC guy, Coach K was not a Duke guy...you get the idea. And for cryin' out loud, as my title says, RMK certainly wasn't an IU guy. I just wish the internet had been invented when RMK was hired, can you imagine the furor over that one?

For the record, give me Donovan!

Calipari was not a UK guy, Patino was not a UL guy, Dean Smith was not a UNC guy, Coach K was not a Duke guy
And Iu isnt any if those mentioned schools. Iu is Indiana.
Its what separates tradition from the norm.

That said it doesn't mean it has to be, just that its highly acknowledged

Reactions: Hoogolf
And Iu isnt any if those mentioned schools. Iu is Indiana.
Its what separates tradition from the norm.

That said it doesn't mean it has to be, just that its highly acknowledged

Name one IU coach that had ties to IU before hand....

As a matter of fact, name the most successful coaches that had ties to thier school....

Roy W? Mack? ....Huggy bear?

Name one IU coach that had ties to IU before hand....

As a matter of fact, name the most successful coaches that had ties to thier school....

Roy W? Mack? ....Huggy bear?

Branch McCracken and Lou Watson, just to name two .....

So, in over a 100 years of IU basketball, all of them happened over 40 years ago?

.....ya sure you guys arent having a mid life crisis or something?
Considering we had one coach for 30 of those yrs....? You made a poor point don't make it worse by doubling down on it

Considering we had one coach for 30 of those yrs....? You made a poor point don't make it worse by doubling down on it

And how successful were all those IU guys besides Branch?

Point stands....

In the history of IU there has been one successful coach that had ties to the university. There have been more failures than successes.

And how long ago was that? Enough to say times have changed?

Coach K? No Self? No Cal? No S Miller? No Smith? No Knight? No

Just saying that if Steve Alford is the next coach, I will support him and wish him all the best, and it would not disappoint me. But why do we have to have an "Indiana" guy?

Calipari was not a UK guy, Patino was not a UL guy, Dean Smith was not a UNC guy, Coach K was not a Duke guy...you get the idea. And for cryin' out loud, as my title says, RMK certainly wasn't an IU guy. I just wish the internet had been invented when RMK was hired, can you imagine the furor over that one?

For the record, give me Donovan!
Steve Spurrier is probably the most successful alum who coached where he played. Heisman Trophy winner as a player, Narional Champion as a coach.

And how successful were all those IU guys besides Branch?

Point stands....

In the history of IU there has been one successful coach that had ties to the university. There have been more failures than successes.
That wasn't your original point. You're moving the goal posts now that you're point was proven false.

Yes we have had coaches with IU ties, many of them....by Branch/RMK standards no the rest haven't been successful but if you take the two best coaches off of most schools record you'd have a drop off. UK/UNC are the only schools that I can think of off the top of my head that has had 3 different title winning coaches

Steve Spurrier is probably the most successful alum who coached where he played. Heisman Trophy winner as a player, Narional Champion as a coach.

Huh. A University of Florida coach who went to the pros and came back to the college game.

Maybe a foreshadowing?

Need to ask some of our more senior members of the board...just exactly what was the reaction to RMKs hiring? Obviously a bold and somewhat risky move at the time.

That wasn't your original point. You're moving the goal posts now that you're point was proven false.

Yes we have had coaches with IU ties, many of them....by Branch/RMK standards no the rest haven't been successful but if you take the two best coaches off of most schools record you'd have a drop off. UK/UNC are the only schools that I can think of off the top of my head that has had 3 different title winning coaches

Sure.... the point I was trying to make is that having a coach that has ties to the school means absolutely nothing.

Sure.... the point I was trying to make is that having a coach that has ties to the school means absolutely nothing.
Than you worded it poorly...your original post read as if you were saying we don't need to, or won't, do it now because we've never done it before

Orrville, OH is not that foreign to Indiana either. When Knight went into living rooms to sit down with parents in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio he was one of them. Louie Carnesecca would be an outsider in a midwest home, but not Knight.

The reason that I was once a proponent of an IU guy is that I felt that what made Indiana basketball great was the identity that was built through the Knight years. I felt that we were losing that identity and thus losing the thing that separated us from being just another basketball school.

I still believe I was right, but we didn't lose it. Losing something is accidental. We threw it away on purpose. It doesn't matter to me anymore after 17 years of BS, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who believe it can be recaptured. Most though don't care about that stuff anymore and would be perfectly happy becoming Kentucky or Kansas as long as we win.

"It's Indiana" doesn't really mean anything anymore and that's not Tom Crean's fault.

Reactions: outlawyer
Indiana guy vs. outside the program. It doesn't matter if they can coach. RMK came in with his way of doing things. I don't know if RMK's methods were already in place in Indiana high schools, or if his success drove coaches to adopt a motion offense and defensive reliance on man to man defense.

RMK taught his players and his fans. He often broke down plays on his TV show in terms the average fan could understand. I still remember being at his camp and some of the things he taught as he was standing 10' from me. Crean didn't do a good job of teaching. When he simplified things last year, we went on a good run. Maybe his downfall is making basketball about the scheme and less on the fundamentals. I want the new coach to focus on fundamentals. I don't care what type of offense or defense they run as long as it is correct for the personnel.

A good coach can win at IU. We need a good teacher, good recruiter, and one that brings in players that are smarter, more skilled, and more prepared than the opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT