Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m agnostic

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I’m an atheist

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • I’m unsure

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
My guess - and I don't want to put words in Snarl's mouth - is that he was answering a question regarding history, i.e., how could someone from pre-Columbus NA get into heaven.
Yeah, I'm with ya. And that's where I think he was going with it too. I was just saying that where I came from that didn't fly. There was only way to heaven, Jesus, no loopholes.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I've never been Catholic, so I wouldn't know.

Thanks!
Man, you missed out on a lot of strange stuff: Snake herder in Ireland, baby Jesus miraculous weight gain while riding on St. Christopher's shoulder, and numerous apparitions/visions of Mary.
Really surprised more vision stories didn't come out of Bloomington in the 60s and 70s.

Reactions: larsIU
I grew up Baptist and wasn’t a big fan. I quit going throughout my 20s and would have probably classified myself as agnostic for a while.
Me too.

But since I moved south, I have been solidly Presbyterian . . . PCUSA, not PCA or any of the other splinter groups.

I've never been Catholic, so I wouldn't know.

Thanks!
there-is-still-time-picard.gif

Oh, I had Leon Varjian for Calculus at IU. Lots of vision stories from that experience, none of them Catholic.
Leon was a strange, entertaining guy. While I was there he pulled off some great stuff: Protest of alien registration day...Martian types picketing Memorial Hall, Banana Olympics, mayoral campaign...downtown square converted to giant monopoly board.

But he also organized at least one protests to shout down a conservative speaker with whom he disagreed. If I recall correctly the speaker was a proponent of AAs being genetically inferior to whites.

Leon was a strange, entertaining guy. While I was there he pulled off some great stuff: Protest of alien registration day...Martian types picketing Memorial Hall, Banana Olympics, mayoral campaign...downtown square converted to giant monopoly board.

But he also organized at least one protests to shout down a conservative speaker with whom he disagreed. If I recall correctly the speaker was a proponent of AAs being genetically inferior to whites.
I recall Leon turning a campus into Florida . . . by using the entire student government budget to buy pink flamingos and putting them out all over the campus.

Sounds like we were there at about the same time. 74-78 for me, with an 18 month (75-76) hiatus working in a factory.

You?

Reactions: IUINSB
It would be interesting if the conventional manner of thinking at the time was that "we have our god(s), you have your god(s), they're both real but ours is better" vs. "our god is real and yours are fake."
That was how a lot of the pagan societies thought. There's a lot of literature about Rome and their practice of conquering a people but allowing them to keep their gods and worship and culture if they wanted to (as long as they also worshipped or admitted Roman emperor's counted too)--Rome just wanted their taxes.

You can also see in Viking accounts and the histories surrounding the Heathen Army in the 800s in England where the Viking warlords would talk about their gods vs. the Christian God. I think the general historical thinking is, that each tribe would take a battle's outcome as a sign that the winning side's god was the more powerful of the two.

I can recommend a few books (not original sources) by Tom Holland, a British historian: Dominion (a history of Christianity and how it radically remade the world in comparison to pagan history before it), Persian Fire, Rubicon. But you can read about the Romans, for example, in hundreds or thousands of books.

Here's a pretty detailed piece on the Egyptian I mentioned in my earlier post. Some have speculated (including Freud) that this guy--Akhenaten--was the forerunner of Abrahamic monotheism:

Reactions: larsIU and TMFT
Was "neutral" not an option b/c it doesn't appear to have been included in the calculation for this chart.
Key trends.

Republicans don’t like brown people religions.

Democrats don’t like conservative/ orthodox religious strains.

Democrats prefer Wicca to Lutherans.

Key trends.

Republicans prefer Wicca to atheism????

Republicans prefer Wicca to atheism????
This is where polling is dumb.

The poll results show Agnostic (-27) > Wicca -(-31) > Atheism (-39) > Satanism (-70). Wicca is the only one with a real structure to it. Satanists are really just Atheists who are showy about it.

And somehow believing the wrong god (Islam -42) is worse than believing in no god. I could be way off base, but I imagine a lot of the people responding to this poll don't know many or any adherents to their least favorite religions and fall victim to media depictions.

Reactions: larsIU
Key trends.

Dumb take.

The chart says “God” and “Jesus” is the thing for GOP, not color.

What is a “brown people religion”?

(I would like it noted for the record I did not include “you racist assumption-making stereo-typing bigot” to the end of my question. Credit where credit is due.)

I know a lot of brown Baptists, and that chart says Dims hate them some Baptist.

Looks to me like the GOP bottom is Satanists, Scientologists, Witnesses, Islam, Atheists, Witches and Can’t Deciders. Nothing there says “brown is what matters”

Are you wicked or just brainwashed?

This is where polling is dumb.

The poll results show Agnostic (-27) > Wicca -(-31) > Atheism (-39) > Satanism (-70). Wicca is the only one with a real structure to it. Satanists are really just Atheists who are showy about it.

And somehow believing the wrong god (Islam -42) is worse than believing in no god. I could be way off base, but I imagine a lot of the people responding to this poll don't know many or any adherents to their least favorite religions and fall victim to media depictions.
You can thank the Iranian mullahs, the Taliban, bin Laden and the radicals who flooded into post-Saddam Iraq for the bad numbers about Islam.

Dumb take.

The chart says “God” and “Jesus” is the thing for GOP, not color.

What is a “brown people religion”?

(I would like it noted for the record I did not include “you racist assumption-making stereo-typing bigot” to the end of my question. Credit where credit is due.)

I know a lot of brown Baptists, and that chart says Dims hate them some Baptist.

Looks to me like the GOP bottom is Satanists, Scientologists, Witnesses, Islam, Atheists, Witches and Can’t Deciders. Nothing there says “brown is what matters”

Are you wicked or just brainwashed?
Likely brainwashed. I have trouble viewing matters through anything but the lens of race. It is almost certainly due to the copious amounts of progressive media I consume. What do you suggest I do?

You can thank the Iranian mullahs, the Taliban, bin Laden and the radicals who flooded into post-Saddam Iraq for the bad numbers about Islam.
For sure. But at risk for falling into the "no true Scotsman" fallacy, they're much less critical of the people who do/have done awful things in the name of a Christian denomination or are otherwise radicalized Christians.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT